A Rainy Encounter (Ask To Join: Kahoot)

Kahoot

The sound of clouds being pushed, pulled, and kicked could be heard from the ground of Ponyville, for no one really enjoyed the muddy, gloomy outdoors that seemed to be droning on all week long. In fact, even the pegasi of Cloudsdale were beginning to grow irritated with the sad weather, it meant more work for the exhausted winged-ponies. The dirt roads were more like mudslides, plants were drowning in rain, causing their beautiful petals to fall and wilt from the vast amount of puddles. Overall, it was a horrible sight.

On this gloomy evening, a certain somepony was forced to postpone her plans all for the sake of moving ridiculous grey clouds all around. This somepony is Flower Eyes, a short young mare that absolutely despised the very thought of being on cloud duty. She wasn't good at it, always placing clouds in the wrong area, kicking the wrong ones, and just simply ruining the formations. She wasn't an exception for her lack in cloud duty, she still had to comply and do her part as a Cloudsdale pony.

Currently, her usually messy short purple and white mane was now flat, sticking to her face and neck from the rain constantly falling on her when she maneuvered herself around and between the fluffy floats.

She was not having a good day.

Flower Eyes pushes a cloud with her sore, cold hooves towards the right, "I could be home sleeping, relaxing... Anything! But no, 'You have a duty as a pegasus, Flower Eyes' they said, 'Just do your part and you'll be done in a jiffy~!'" Her usually monotone or somewhat friendly expression was not a scowl, her face scrunched up in concentration and frustration. Unfortunately, she began pushing the incorrect cloud in the incorrect direction, placing it in the incorrect spot. Just as she turned her back to the cloud, she heard a loud yell. 

She turns back around, the worry is evident in her expression, she looks around, no one. She builds up enough courage and looks down to see another pony covered in rain and mud, her dark magenta eyes widened as she quickly kicked the cloud out of the way so it would stop pouring on the pony. As she watches the pony, there is no doubt in her mind that this pony was angry. She gulps down the nervous lump in her throat before slowly flying down to meet this blob of mud that was once a pony.

She lands in front of them, first examining their face before letting words slip by her lips, "Are you alright?! I didn't even notice you from up there, my apologies for getting rain all over you..." Flower Eyes trails off, becoming somewhat shy around the stranger, "I pushed the wrong cloud in the wrong direction, I am not often on cloud duty... But a mistake is a mistake and I understand you must be frustrated, if you like, I could be of service to you to make up for what I did?" Flower Eyes knows her offer isn't anything special, though, she didn't have anything much to give in the first place, she might as well be of help in some way that will not result in the rain pouring on a complete stranger.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was another individual who hated this rainy weather just as much, although more for the inconvenience the gloom and slippery roads caused. Switch was wandering along carefully, straining to pull the trailer behind him that was both his dojo and his home, his hooves slipping and sliding along the mud as his goggles had started to steam up. He had been trying to leave Ponyville for the past day, but every time he reached the hills he found himself cascading back down; this was not good at all. Nobody wanted his services when it was rainy, but it looked like he may not make it out to better locations before all this rain stopped. Nonetheless he had to keep trying or risk having to convert his wagon into a boat.

He was finally about halfway up the main hill out the town, placing his hooves carefully as he crawled up inch by inch, using all his considerable strength as he neared the crest, finally tugging his wagon to a stable position on top of the hill, he unhitches himself from it, taking a moment to rest when suddenly the heavens opened above him, a torrent of water cascading into him as he yells, being washed over the edge of the hill, tumbling down getting covered in water and mud until he slid to a stop, a mound of dirt on top of him. That was when a pegasus appeared, apologizing profusely to him, it was at this moment that he realised that any other pony would probably be furious at this mare, but anger was not an emotion he allowed himself, he simply stands up as his horn ignites, his sword levitating off the ground as it starts spinning, the blade tilting as it does to provide a fan like motion, blowing the dirt from him as it also funneled water through to clean him, before he then sheathed it at his side. "Do not worry, I am not angered. Just slightly inconvenienced is all." he looks up at the hill, now like some mud themed ice rink "Although I could do with an airlift to the top of that hill to get back to my wagon so I can continue on my journey if that is possible." he says calmly, adjusting his helmet from where it slipped during his tumble. "If you could do that, that would be really helpful to me." He smiles gently as he stands in a relaxed manner.

Flower Eyes notices his wagon on the top of the hill and feels all the more guilty, she does a quick calculation in her head to see if she could make it all the way up. It would be difficult, but not impossible. The soaked mare gives a wide grin, though, her eyes contain the same shy look as she had before, "I would be more than happy to give you a lift, I am extremely sorry for causing you such trouble!" Flower Eyes looks up the hill once more before flapping her wings, lifting herself in the air.

The pegasus floats on top of the stallion, carefully lifting him into the air with a slight struggle, "If I may ask, what are you pulling a wagon on such a gloomy day for? It's dangerous and supposedly the weather is going to get heavier later, are you sure you only need an airlift? I could guide you to your destination." The mare didn't mind helping, especially since she would do anything to get out of cloud duty right now. Her wings flap harder, she swerves and dips in the air every so often, having never given someone an airlift before and so she wasn't familiar with the extra weight. 

None the less, the mare manages to get the stallion to the top, gently lowering him until his hooves are once more planting into the muddy ground, "Be careful, there will be plenty of mudslides ahead of you since us pegasi are trying to move the clouds further from Ponyville, it would be a shame if you got hurt."

Switch braces himself as he is lifted, using his magic to hold his helmet himself to not weigh himself down for the mare to carry him, when he gets set down by his wagon he affixes his helmet again with a calm smile, whistling a little tune to himself. "No clue where I'm going to end up, but I'll know when I arrive. All I know is my time in Ponyville has been spent, and it's time to move along to the next place, wherever it may be. It's waiting for me to arrive." he starts checking over his wagon, making sure it was ready for the journey ahead, checking inside at his food reserves.

"I'm used to this kind of weather. I travel a lot more than most ponies would in their lives, I've seen almost everything. Besides, if I get hurt, I'll just rest up until I can carry on again. After all, if I do not complete this journey, then I will have no money to sustain myself on, so it is vital I set up in a new location where my services will be in demand, just due to my involvement, when my job is done, the area no longer has need for my involvement, so I return far less than when I first arrived." He starts fixing his wagon to himself to make sure it moved.

Flower Eyes listens to his little story, her eyes full of admiration before a small smile appears on her face, "Wow... That was really inspirational, so cool~" Her eyes squinted shut as her smile grows, she looks up at the sky to see a cloud moving in the wrong direction, an irritated sigh escaping her lips, "I wish I could travel..." She pauses, her hooves drawing lines in the mud, staining her silvery-purple coat, "I know I will one day, as soon as I debut in the dance industry, I plan on going all over, I want to see everything this world has to offer!" Her eyes shimmer as she speaks, making it obvious she is set on her idea.

The mare flaps her wings again, lifting her light body in the air, "What is your service? It must pay well if you can travel so much..."  She watches the stranger fix the wagon on himself, she tilts her head, and on cue a large mound of water pours onto her, soaking her all the more, "I can't wait for this weather to just go away..." She pushes her hair out of her magenta eyes and shakes her head, causing her mane fluff up from the water being shaken out of it, though, it was still damp and became soaked once again from the continuous showers.

He shakes his head with a smile "My dear, that is not the way you get ahead in life; you will be given opportunities yes, but fortune favors the bold, and the risk takers. And don't worry, the speech making comes with a long time of being a wandering hero, not a fan of the term myself, but it gets thrown at me."

He chuckles lightly as he watches her hover "Pay well? Heavens no. I travel because of how little it pays, quite often I even do the work for free. I wander Equestria and beyond, providing advice and assistance to those in need. Teaching the defenseless how to defend themselves and dealing with the immediate problem myself. I then also travel and learn what I can from any mentors I come across; the two parts tend to overlap, helping ponies and finding out about others who do the same. As for money making; I also provide domestic weapons training for those wishing to learn a pastime that teaches honor and respect." he watches her get soaked with a wince "But remember, it costs nothing to travel. It's staying still that costs, and if you are interested; I am in the market for a... Companion of sorts, I can't offer much except the journey and ability to meet and learn from ponies that may have never had contact outside their towns, and shelter and food of course."

The mare's jaw drops a bit as he continues on, it is obvious the stallion interests her since she continued to stay put and speak with him, something she rarely does due to her somewhat quiet and shy demeanor. She remains hovering, the flap of her wings providing a way to reflect the upcoming raindrops in a different direction, "Wow, I am not surprised ponies call you a traveling hero, you are really helpful in the community... You're like a traveling school almost!" The mare shakes her head, flipping her hair out of her line of sight. 

"You're really wise..." She pauses, "A companion? Oh, you mean like someone to travel with." Her eyes light up a bit, turning her dark magenta eyes into a lighter shade to reflect her mood. She thinks over what the stallion says, slowly lowering herself back down to the muddy floor, her hooves creating a rather eerie slush sound as they are planted in the mud. "Well, if you like... I could be your traveling companion!" That is when the mare realizes something, she hadn't even given her name, "Ah, I completely forgot, I am Flower Eyes, a pleasure to meet you."

"Nah. I merely help out on the way past. If I'm going that way then I have nothing else to do but help. Most proclaimed heroes are forged primarily out of boredom and sustained by intrigue." he says as he keeps tugging his wagon.

He nods his head "Aye, a travelling companion. Well come on then; we have a lot of places to be and barely any time to lose. Where should we start, Miss Eyes?" he asks as he flips a key to her "You can use that to access the wagon, rest up if you want, clean off, anything."

Flower Eyes begins to trot beside him as he begins to pull his wagon once more, "Well, those aren't real heroes... Those are like fictional characters from a comic book, at least that is what I believe. I think a true hero will help out of the kindness of their heart and continue to do so because it's the right thing to do." She looks up at the rainy sky once more, noticing how the rain slowly begins to lighten up due to the pegasi of Cloudsdale moving clouds more South from Ponyville.

The mare catches the key with ease, "I've never traveled outside of Ponyville or Cloudsdale, I am not very reliable when it comes to directions." She lets out a small chuckle, "Anyways, what is your name? You stand out compared to most ponies in Ponyville, not that it is a bad thing, it makes you all the more interesting."

"You would hope so." he comments as he keeps walking, having seen both sides of ponykind he had become somewhat detached from the glitz of heroics.

"Then lucky for you we do not have a direction, it is as easy as looking in the distance and deciding 'There, that looks fun to travel to' and then going that way. Easy." he states as the wagon starts to move easily now it was out the mud "And you may call me Switch. That's the name which most know me by."

The mare flaps her wings, hovering in the air but remaining not too far from her new friend. She looks around the area, before looking back in the direction they came, "Switch? That name is just as unique as you! You're quite the interesting stallion, I wonder why I haven't heard of you before..." The mare flips upside down, causing her short mane to hang beneath her, "How long have you been traveling? I would guess a long time since you seem to know the land like the back of your hoof."

She flies a bit farther ahead, noticing how the rain turns to a light shower and the mud becoming less slippery, she lowers herself to the ground and closes her wings, trotting once more.

"You've never heard of me because Ponyville is protected by heroes many leagues above me, with power enough to level a mountain. Around Ponyville I am just a madpony with a box. Although not the only one, just wish my box made use of space like his does. But I guarantee we will run into other ponies who do know me, for better or for worse. And yes, I have been travelling for a very long while, but I still do not know where I am going. I am just wandering; searching, and learning as I go." he comments, flicking his mane out his face, sliding his sword from earlier into a hidden alcove in his wagon.

"Hmm," She pauses to take in the given information, "Madpony? That is an interesting way to put it, though, I am not that surprised considering Ponyville isn't one to get too many foreigners, it is such a small town so there isn't much to go by. As for Cloudsdale, it is in the sky and you're a unicorn, no explanation needed there..." 

The Pegasus looks ahead in the direction they are going, "My apologies, I have been nagging you with questions nonstop... If you like, you may ask me anything whenever you like, I've been talking a lot more than usual..."

"Indeed, but I am mad. No normal pony would spend their lives seeking out danger to leap headfirst into. Far too bizarre and unsafe for most." he says, knowing Ponyville did have their heroes who did just that, but none seemed to revel in teetering on the edge of certain doom quite like he did.

"It is fine, I do not ask questions of others; it is far more telling to just watch how they react to issues and problems that may arise. A picture tells a thousand words, so one moment of your actions can say more than an entire conversation. It's all about how we manage that moment."

"That is a better way to put it than simply calling yourself a madpony, though, I would prefer to say you're unique." She looks down at her light colored hooves which are stained with the brown mud that has since dried up due to the lack of sludge and rain. Her mane has also dried, though, it is rather fluffy since it wasn't properly dealt with while it was still soaked, none the less, it is nothing different since her mane is often messy and indecent.

A genuine smile appears on her features, giving her usually rebellious look a more friendly aura, "You're really wise, but absolutely right... A picture does tell a thousand words, though, not in all cases..." Her look drops into a frown, "Sometimes words do tell far more, especially if said pony can put on a strong facade."

He shrugs "Perhaps, but unique ponies are boring; everypony is unique, so the ponies who only claim to be unique must be unique by being the same as other ponies around them. It's a wonderful paradox." he says calmly as he starts to hum again.

"Sometimes words can tell what an image leaves out, but it can never tell more, just fill in the final few blanks left behind by chance or choice. The victors write the history books, but the losers hide the archives."

Flower looks around, "I suppose so..." She seizes to talk any further, thinking over the stallion's words but never saying anything further. She seems to have grown more interested in the surrounding nature, such as the exotic flowers of many different vibrant colors.

Only then does she speak further, "There are a lot of beautiful flowers here... A dear friend of mine would really like them, she is a gardener, why wouldn't she like flowers?" Flower Eyes once again hovers in the air, she doesn't often walk due to her home being in the clouds of Cloudsdale, which results in her using her wings more often than her hooves.

Switch adjusts the direction of travel slightly as he looks over his shoulder to her, treading carefully so he didn't lose control of his wagon. "I am sure she would; it is one of the great aspects of travel; you get to see things that other ponies can spend their entire lives not even knowing existed. Meet ponies you would think belong in storybooks, and ones that are your nightmares manifest. It is both a beautiful, and a dangerous life to lead."

Flower realizes she is being to falter behind, picking up her pace so she wasn't too far from Switch, "I should send her a letter some time with pictures, it'll probably pick her spirits up when she realizes I left without saying goodbye." The mare stretches her wings out, continuing to walk on hoof, deciding it would best for her to exercise her legs.

"How about you, do you have any close friends you often think about when traveling?"

Switch nods as he looks off into the distance, gauging the distance they had to travel and how much time they would have, deciding that they could keep making distance this way he smiles "I am sure she will like that a lot. Even if she probably assumes me to be some strange dirty hobo." he chuckles, the stallion actually remarkably well kept for his lifestyle, despite the slightly outlandish colours that he wore. "Just say when you want to stop; I have not traveled with a companion in a while so may keep walking if you do not tell me you are stopping." He nods, shaking his head "Nah, I mean yeah. I have quite a few friends, none come to mind, but there's a few which will one day not want to kill me, I am sure. Probably maybe."

The mare shakes her head in disagreement, "She would never, trust me, considering the hardships she went through she would never judge anypony else." The mare shakes her head to push the hair away from her eyes, "I'm sure she would like you, she enjoys nature and traveling, though, she has only ever gone out from Ponyville a few miles." 

Flower Eyes smiles, "Don't worry, I have lots of energy to spare, we won't be stopping for a while, thank you, though." She flaps her wings a bit, a habit of hers when she does decide to walk on her hooves, "Kill you? Why is that, have you done something wrong to trigger such intentions?" 

"I see, seems like everypony now is going through some terrible trial or tribulation. It's a great shame really; lady luck seems to be having an off generation for the time being." he rolls his shoulders, his eyes darting around left and right as he checks their surroundings as they walk. "But her opinion on me shall have to wait I suppose, we still have a fair old distance to travel; and you still haven't told me where you want to end up.

"Why do some want me dead? Well you know, when you pass through and help ponies out, typically the ponies that caused the issue do not take very well to the idea of their hard work to establish evil being wasted, so they tend to try and come after you. Lot of running in my work, not much stopping either. Bouncing from one place to the next and rarely looking back. Got too many places to be to not keep my eyes up front."

"You're very right, Equestria has really changed over the course of time as far as I can tell, not every pony is born with the same happy-go-lucky type attitude, I call those a 'bad batch', like cookies." She gives a small chuckle, though, knowing her little joke was probably the corniest joke to ever exist, "Well, I do not know much about the area, in fact... I haven't traveled any farther than Ponyville and Cloudsdale which is pretty much right atop one another."

As she listens to the stallion explain himself, she begins to pick up her pace realizing she was faltering behind a bit, "Ah, that makes sense, you don't look like a pony to cause too much trouble, none the less, it is amazing you continue to do what you do even with ponies and other monsters on your back about it." Flower Eyes looks in the distance, examining the sun is beginning to set at an agonizingly slow pace, not that she minded.

"And then you also seem to have everypony born with access to some great power, natural talent, or incredible heritage. Not met one regular pony around yet who has not become something incredible. Makes me start to wonder how society will cope when this great power is no longer the norm, and is instead rare again; whether it will create divides between the haves and haven'ts, as happens so often nowadays." he comments, stopping as they reach the edge of a incredibly steep hill, where he stars to disconnect from his wagon with a smile. "There's no such thing as a bad batch though. Everypony has the ability to return to form, containing some kind of light in their hearts, no matter how dark the surroundings."

"What do you mean it is amazing? Way I see it, once you have one creature on your back wanting you gone, then really it cannot get worse, one thing with a deathwish on you is as bad as a hundred cases, so just keep pushing forwards. Speaking of which, it is best you get inside the wagon now, rest your legs and wings." he says as he slides the pieces of wood that harnessed him in place back into the wagon where they clicked into place.

"I've noticed that, too! All the news spewing around about that new princess and her friends... Elements of Harmony... I have nothing against it, it's just it isn't as unique or... Exciting as it once was, it's simply the norm now because it happens so often. Once again, I have no problem with it, I just wish things were as simple as before."

"What I mean is... You can push forward, you're brave, most ponies I know would go into hiding and just... You know, become afraid, though, I guess that is what makes you a 'mad pony'." Flower gives a polite smile and looks at the wagon, "Are you sure? What about you, are you going to rest?"

Archived