The Hollow Stare [closed, Pyro]

Switchback

A book shop in Ponyville? Well, she supposed there were worse places to hide something like this, not that she couldn't think of some better places for it. The zebra sighed slightly as she followed him inside and closed the door behind them, silently following him into the back room. 

"So your cover is this store? Good idea to hide it among such a bore." She said, giving a wink to show she was kidding about thinking his store was boring. Books were nice, and they served many purposes from conferring information to taking ponies into another world.

As they walked into the back room he shuts the door behind them, locking it as the shutters of the windows went down, the main light source coming from the floor safe in front of them, on which he places his hoof, as it beeps as the magical switch is triggered, the room shaking somewhat with the sound of metal gears as the ceiling looked to be raising up from them, though of course the floor was actually just descending downwards on a carefully constructed gear lift. "This lift technology is from the same designer that gave life to the traps in all the temples encountered by Daring Do. Very sophisticated stuff." he says calmly as the floor stops inside a brilliantly lit situation room, a desk at one end by a door, then a load of tables and chairs in the middle of the room, with shelves lining the walls filled with files and books "Welcome to the store room." he says as he steps off the lift platform. "Please vacate the lift area and try to keep up. If you get lost in here I do not have the clearance level to risk finding you." he says as he consults a map on the wall "So we keep the sword there... Can't be near that just in case. This magic works from draining attention so it would probably be best to keep it near Donut Joe's first coffee maker." he says to himself, walking through the door by the desk into a corridor filled with shelves, most of them empty with only a few items on them.

Much more impressive than she would have expected. He was definitely set up though, with plenty of space in this place to store whatever he needed. At least he agreed that the mask should be kept away from the sword, that was a good thing. 

Zola looked around at the items they passed as they walked, taking note of the ones she recognized and the ones that could prove useful if needed. 

"Oh and by the way, I should warn you, don't lean too close to the shelves. They don't like it, and they do bite back." he comments as he stops at one unit, tapping his horn against the side of the unit a magical field dissipates with a shimmer, as he levitates the mask out the container, setting it down on the shelf slowly before turning the field back on again, taking out a scroll he writes down the details of the item, placing it against the shelf it burns the writing into the metal, branding the shelf with the item description. "And now onto your terms of employ, Miss Zola." he says, facing her down.

They... bit back? How were the shelves to do that? Not that she actually wished to test that, but it was intriguing. She snapped out of her thoughts when she heard her name though, facing the stallion slowly. 

“I never gave you my name. What exactly is your game?” She said, eyes narrowed suspiciously. 

"We have eyes everywhere, Miss Zola. And we've taken notice of a few select members of your guild. I was given the order to find the perfect individuals to staff this storeroom, individuals outside the agency circle, but still with knowledge of covert ops in the overt field. I read your file before heading out today, and I must say I am moderately impressed with both the file results, and your composure in this item retrieval." He places a badge on an empty shelf next to her "Think it over. You have two days."

Hmm... interesting... Honestly, she was tempted to just take the badge right then and there, but she decided against it. 

“Where do I go if I decide to join? I wouldn’t want to waste my coin.” She asked after a little bit, turning back to face him. 

"We'll come to you. Trust me, the moment you make up your mind. We will know about it. However, if you tell anypony of this place, we will also know about it. And on that situation, you will not find me in the best of spirits, so I would suggest that if you decide against my offer, you conveniently forget about this location." he says, looking back down the rows "This is both the most dangerous and wondrous line of work in all of Equestria. But I will be honest with you; the dangers are far above anything you may think you are capable of handling."

Mmm... she really didn’t like the idea of others spying on her. Still, she turned back to the badge laying there and stared at it for some time before nodding to herself. 

“Very well, I agree. These artifacts should not be free.” She said to him, reaching for the badge. Carefully, in case what he said about the shelves was true. 

"Now then, should you wish, there is accommodation on site here for you to stay in, but I would personally recommend one of the B&Bs nearby. There's a few on our payroll so they will understand you vanishing for long times." he starts checking the fields over the items "Oh and before I forget, your badge is how you get in, have it against your hoof and press down on the safe screen, and the shelving shield is raised and lowered by it."

“I believe I would rather stay at home if possible. At least while there is no mission making that impossible.” Zola said, shrugging a bit. “I am used to travel, but there is nothing quite like your home gravel.”

He nods "Of course, and don't forget to keep your cover. Which is what you were doing before joining us. Miss Zola, welcome to SMILE storage unit LAUGH." he salutes quickly before walking towards the office unit "Don't mind me, just making sure there's no new orders from command come through yet."

Zola nodded back, returning the salute as she watched him walk off, deciding she may as well follow him for now. She should check if there are any missions to take on before she headed back home anyways. She had to wonder how they were going to contact her when a mission did come in, but she supposed that was something she would see later.

Archived