Sand.  Sand everywhere.

For the third time since coming out to the dig site, Princess Bluebelle tried to discreetly cast a little spell to banish every bit of grit from the interior of her fashionable khaki clothes.  Her self-cleaning magic, developed over the years as the neat-freak of a unicorn royal dealt with the unavoidable contacts with the dirt and dust of the real world, was usually quite effective, but she felt now that there was always at least one bucking grain that was lodged somewhere sensitive.  Perhaps it was just a psychosomatic reaction to seeing the vast plains of sand outside the habitable areas of Saddle Arabia.

Normally, the Princess would never venture outside of the beautiful gardens, lush fields, and picturesque streets of the horse Sultanate, but as one of Equestria's most prominent diplomatic ponies, her visits usually were spent in the personal company of royalty or major leaders, the Sultana in this case.  And among the duties this Sultana took upon herself was the ceremonial dedication and tourings of the many archaeological digs delving into the history of her country.

And that history was fascinating, of course, but Bluebelle still silently lamented the geography.  Still, ever the premier diplomat, she did not let her good grace or smile falter as she accompanied the ruler.  "I'm afraid I haven't read too deeply into the myths surrounding this dig; your country just has so many.  Wasn't there something involving some kind of... sphinx, was it?"  Bright, curious eyes; interested smile, and temporarily pristine coat gave all present the impression of the Equestrian tourist, of the more respectful and respectable kind, of course!  

DIDZErf.jpg

"Yes there was, Princess. A curious story about a brash young sphinx who became the servant to a ... clever sorcerer in the ancient past. This sorcerer managed to take seize the kingdom from his brother and with the sphinx at his side none opposed them. In time though, citizens stopped being afraid. They rose up against the sorcerer and his mighty servant. It seems as powerful as a sphinx can be, they cannot stand up to an army forever." Basira calmly strolled along the old corridors of this ancient dig. The musty scent of ages past crept into the nostrils of both the explorers as they trotted along. Ancient hieroglyphics spread across the lengths of the wall, visual aids to the abridged story being told by Bluebelle's guide. 

"Again, I thank you for coming along on this dig. My advisors told me an impressive statue was found within and to hear such a thing has been found , untouched by time or tomb raiders. It was something I simply -had- to see for myself. This discovery may well be a sign of the good graces Saddle Arabia finds itself in with our relationship with Equestria."

"Interesting."  The vague, polite reply of diplomats everywhere.  It wasn't the Sultan's fault, or the dig site's, or even the legend itself that enthusiasm did not well within Bluebelle's breast.  She just didn't have the mindset that would be in itself fascinated by ancient legends, unless there was some possibility of them coming true in the here and now.  An understandable position, given the turbulent times that the Prince and now Princess had dealt with these past few years.

And the sand, too.  She could never forget the sand.

As much as stories might fail to capture her interest, beauty in any form always would.  Not only did this lead to an easy time in the Sultana's company, but also a visible increase of interest as they entered the tomb.  It was lavish, with intricate carvings inlaid with lapis lazuli lining the walls.  The murals depicted the story the unicorn had just heard, and the light of her horn lingered on each panel.

Not watching where she was going, Bluebelle bumped against something right before the final panel, jarred out of her reverie with an oath.  "Oh, pardon my language, your majesty, it's just-"  Her words died on her lips as she realized the obstacle wasn't just an obstacle.  Instead, it was a paw.  A large, stone paw, which a little more light showed to be part of a truly breathtaking statue of a sphinx.  It had none of the formality or stiffness of the art surrounding, instead looking like a much later style of realistic sculpture, frozen in a pose that was frankly... imposing.  As if he was neither pleased with his position, nor with having it intruded upon.

"Oh, my, that is..."  Words failed her a second time, and she gave a low whistle before her third attempt.  "Would have taken quite a bit to get me to march against that."

DIDZErf.jpg

'Interesting' was a common response that Basira was more than used to at this point. She'd made peace with the act than foreign diplomats wouldn't place as much importance on archeology as she did. While the history behind certain sights might not always capture the imagination of visitors, the sights themselves never failed to impress. With Princess Bluebelle so caught up in the beauty of ancient culture, Basira continued to inspected the hieroglyphics. One particular character caught her eye: It was the character for "amulet" and "control". The Sultana had never seen them combined in such a way before. 

Pondering further on it would have to wait as her most esteemed guest had bumped into the very statue... thank goodness it was a sturdy enough find. You ever knew what such treasures would do when exposed to the open air again, let alone what happened when someone bumped into them.  Basira hurried over and looked over Bluebelle like a overly paranoid mother might, "Are you alright? Any scrapes? Bruises?" Over-all she seemed alright enough to make some remarks on the find, "It becomes much easier I imagine when you have little to lose."  

Over by the statues Hind leg, something seemed to glisten. Basira's eyes narrowed slightly at the source: It was in the corner by a wall. There was a tight space there... no room at all for and f the horse workers to reach. She looked back at Bluebelle and seemed... hesitant to ask this, "Would you mind helping me see what's back there? I think me and all of my kind are too um... wide." Normally she wouldn't ask this of a visiting diplomat, but old inklings of curiosities were slowly turning into a burning desire to know in the back of her mind.

"Oh, I'm fine.  Just a little *cough* dusty, that's all..."  Dust was like sand, only worse.  You didn't have to deal with sand much outside of beaches and deserts, but dust got truly everywhere.  Eventually.  One could think of maids as battle-hardened warriors, engaged in a never ending battle against dust, and Bluebelle did.  The layer of grey that was draped upon everything in this tomb like the sheerest form of gossamer was the ultimate manifestation of such.  The old kings believed that even death might be defeated... but it seemed that even immortals could not ultimately defeat dust.

Troubled by this line of philosophical musing upon the memento mori, the Princess seized rather more eagerly upon the Sultana's request than she might have otherwise.  "Oh?  Well, I wouldn't say I'm all that narrow myself,"  She shot a look back to her flank, nicely curved as the exquisitely tailored khaki showed,  "But I'd be glad to give it a go!"  Her blue eyes glinted like a magpie's as she shimmied into the the crack, hoof outstretched and feeling about until she felt, and heard, the soft *clink* of metal.

"Got it!"  She called out, shimmying backward until she emerged, covered in dust but no longer minding very much.  The reason being that in her hoof was an exquisitely crafted piece of jewelry, a lapis-lazuli amulet in the shape of a winged cat's paw, set in gold and hanging from a band of gold links, an early version of a chain that showed surprising sophistication.  A beautiful artifact, for sure.  So beautiful, in fact, that it led Bluebelle to take a certain impulsive action that was to have consequences far beyond what she ever could imagine... she slipped it on.

"How do I look?"

Few words can describe what it was like to be trapped in stone. Somewhere between death and sleep was close yet far from the truth. In some ways purgatory was a more close match to the dreamless yet aware sluber one was in. Was it different for others? Nilaavin did not know the answer to that but he did know one thing, being the slave of some pony was not that bad compared to being trapped in stone. Even if the pony had him dance around and be a fool at least he was not trapped in some endless, dreamless purgatory. He had no clue how much time has passed. Days? Weeks? Years? There was no way to keep time. But yet… Something happened. He felt it. A pulling. He lost that feeling soon after he was put in stone… The feeling of… It was time… He was free! He felt it in his bones. Feeling… His senses coming back. It was slow, so slow. But he was going to be free… But on the outside no pony will know just yet what happened as the Sphinx did not move or change. Yet. It was starting as stone falls away and creeps it’s way over his back and flank as Bluebelle sported her new necklace. Chip by chip it gives away as his tail starts to twich and move. 

DIDZErf.jpg

Basira assisted in pulling Princess Bluebelle out of the dusty little nook. An amused chuckle escaped the sultana as her guest returned from the depths in a lovely new shade of grey. Soon Bluebelle found a kerchief presented to her by the cheerful looking Sultan. Hoofkerchiefs were truly useful: whether for the dabbing of a runny nose or for brushing away loose dust from a normally pristine coat. "I have to say it looks very nice on you, Princess... although I'm surprised it's held up so well." The horse's brown eyes narrowed to near needle-points as she inspected the old piece of jewelry, "A winged paw?... curious." 

The sound of a crack made her ear's twitch, then swivel towards the source: The statue. Basira slowly turned to the now shaking statue. Large chips of the stone were beginning to fall away. Beneath the ancient masonry was... living flesh and fur from what little parts were gradually being exposed. "Princess Bluebelle..." The sultana coughed harshly as dust broke off the now living statue, "I think it's time we left!" She grasped her guest's hoof and tried to make a break for the passage... only for the door to shut tight with two great slabs covering their exit. Not sure really what could be done on such short notice with the emergence of an ancient evil, Basira slid the princess behind a nearby piece of pottery that bore a very convenient resemblance to Bluebelle when she was being viewed from the front sitting. She wasn't about to let anything curse or harm a valuable ambassador on her watch while she could, after all.

As soon as the sphinx was fully free she spoke up, "Are you... the sphinx of legend? I am, Basira. Sultana of Saddle Arabia."

"Why, thank you!"  Even in the dim, torchlit chamber, despite the poor visibility, Princess Bluebelle could not suppress her instincts to preen under the compliment, and even to strut a bit.  Of course, it would be gauche in the extreme if she asked to keep what was surely a priceless historical artifact, but perhaps if she looked sufficiently good in it, the Sultana might present it to her as a gift!

Howsoever close or far those thoughts might be from potential reality, actual present reality was about to take a hard left turn into the chaotic and adventurous.  Her first clue that this would be so was the small chip of stone that pinged off her horn, stunning her for a moment as she stood blinking in the flickering illumination.  "What was tha- whoa!"  Her stomach lurched as Basira yanked her towards the door, only to be stopped short by the sudden closing.  "Oh, no, can't I just have a relaxing trip for once!?"  Blue had been through enough adventures by now to be as peeved as she was frightened, and far too familiar with such situations to be alright with cowering behind her guest.  She needed to be alert, facing the danger!  At least then, she'd have at least one more second's warning when to run...

Not that she got a choice in the matter, being far from as physically robust as your average Saddle Arabian.  "Oof!  Hmph, of all things..."  She couldn't resist peeking from behind the sculpture, in such a way as to make the hiding place practically meaningless.  She wanted a good view!  And boy, did she get it.  "Oh, my..."  An ancient beast awakening!  This... this rarely went well, in her experience.

The feeling of air being pulled in to one's lungs… The rush of movement and feeling sand and dirt underneath one’s paw. So miner, so forgotten in life yet Nilaavin was overjoyed to feel all of it as more stone falls from his body. He stretches out, shaking his body like a wet cat as masonry was tossed free to shatter against walls and floor. As more of his body comes into view the golden neckband changes before their vary eyes as the mark of Princess Bluebelle was engraved in to it with magic.

Nilaavin was not as large as one may think for his race and the stories told about them. But he was in no way small, standing much taller than horse or pony  he steps closer to Basira and looks down at her. He was powerful and intimidating as he holds out one claw and runs it up the mares chest to her neck, it felt sharp as a fresh blade on her skin. Than he speaks, it was something ancient as he was. Yet the pony in hiding, Bluebelle understand it as if some pony was whispering the translation in to her ears. “Legend? Has so much time passed that what was now, has passed from history in to myths?” He pulls his claw away from Basiras neck. “Well ‘sultana’ you were not the one to free me from… Form that stone. I hope the one that did likes you, I’m oh so very hungry.” He almost purrs the last part as he licks his lion like teeth before looking over to where Bluebelle was hiding. He rubs the gold band on his neck sporting her mark, feeling it gently. “At night they come without being fetched. By day they are lost without being stolen. One of them marks my master’s hide, come now, do not hide.”

• 2 weeks later...

DIDZErf.jpg

This creature's words were very old. Basira recognized it's ancient dialect, thank goodness she made sure to study even the nearly forgotten tongues of the past. Speaking them on the hoof was going to be harder to pull of. The Sultana coughed once before finally speaking up. Her words were a bit slurred sounding to the old ears of the young sphinx. While Basira knew what the words meant, her tongue and lips were not used to actually speaking them. 

"I... Am sorry to say that It has been a very long time since you've been awakened, Tall one. There is nothing that remains of your last master beyond spoken histories... at least until we uncovered your resting spot." Unease rose up in her gut as that claw drew closer to her neck, though she tried not to show any sign of it. She took in a deep breath through her nose as the beast finally pulled is talon away, releasing her anxiety through her nostrils along with a sigh of relief. "So... that necklace binds you to the will of whoever wears it? That would explain the hieroglyphics..."

"Princess, It seems you're safe. ... and you may have a new servant."

*Oh, curse this mare's body!*  Bluebelle thought, as he knees began to shake.  *Why is it harder to hang on to my courage when I'm a female?*

It was indeed not quite so easy to muster bravado to match peril when not a stallion, but curiosity still kept the Princess from cowering behind the sculpture.  Her mind, beset by anxiety and on hyper-alert, keyed in immediately on several things: the fact that the shinx's neckband was now her cutie mark, the fact that she could understand the beast's language, and the fact that no one was getting eaten yet....

*Oh, boy...*

With a few, cautious steps, Bluebelle emerged into the torchlight, staring up at what seemed to be her new sphinx.  "Er, um, Greetings, ancient... venerable, one!"  Was that the right way to diplomatically address a sphinx?  Damnit, her education hadn't covered this!  "Ah... it's rather close in here, don't you think?"  She rubbed her neck nervously, trying not to hyperventilate.  "Let's... go outside!  Yes, you need some fresh air and sunshine!  Entirely too *cough* dusty in here!  Bet you'd like to get out after a few thousand years in, eh?"

Nilaavin turns to face Bluebelle, almost just shoving Basira out of the way as if she was just some poor street beggar. He studied Bluebelle with keen eyes, shimmering in the dark lit only by fire before holding a paw out and using one claw guides Bluebelle to spin around a few times. Finly he speaks and just like before Bluebelle can understand him perfectly. A confusing matter for an unlooker as nether Bluebelle or Nilaavin spoke to another in the same language yet they understood one other without fault. “So you are my new master. A mare this time and a unicorn. You are not from here. No not at all. A stranger to me, yet I am the stranger to you.” He says in a clam tone as his paw and the very sharp claw pulls away from the pony. “I am no… servant like that mare told you. But I must follow your wishes as I am bound to do so. So long as you have that … thing on. I am all but a slave to your will. Use me wisely master.” He gets up and walks to a wall in the room and pushed his ear to it.

“This way.” He says placeing a paw on the wall and using his claws, draws shapes over it. Than snaps. Like that the wall exploded outward, not one grain of sand landing on Bluebelle as Nilaavin fans his wings and blows the dust out in a larger room of the old keep. “Come along master.” He hums folding his wings looking at the wall on the other end of the room, he paws the floor than changes it. Tossing his power into a shoulder slame he rips down the next wall as golden rays of the outside flood the room. Like before he fans the dust away with his wings clearing a path for his master, free of dust so she may walk out in to the fresh air and sunshine free of more bothering coughing. He looked back at her and Basira. “What else can I do for you Master?” He asked over the sounds of some rather panicked screaming from outside. It seems the rest of the dig’s staff were less than happy to see something like Nilaavin smashing his way out. You’d think he was going to eat them all or something.

• 2 weeks later...

DIDZErf.jpg

There were many things that Basira had imagined herself experiencing in her life as archeologist: Being shoved by a newly revived sphinx was not one of them. Impressive physical force sent the scholar stumbling backwards and bumping into a large and very detailed vase. Not wasting a second, she wrapped her hooves around the sculpted clay. The wobbling of the object resonated with the unease rising in her gullet and calmed not long after it stilled. "Thank goodness..." She breathed in relief, "I was worried we were going to lose another potentially irreplaceable find on thi--"

Then came the loud crash as Nilaavin's fist broke through the wall. AS the rush of fresh air flooded the tomb, Basira was left standing there with her mouth agape. HEr mind desperately tried to process the tragedy as to what had just happened: An entire wall of valuable hieroglyphs destroyed by an arrogant feline-pony chimaera! She would have yelled to get his attention but the loud flapping of his wings along with the buffet of winds they produced forced any words of reproach back down her throat, along with centuries worth o dust that clogged up her lungs. The sultana hacked, coughed and sneezed the debris of ages out of her system. A layer of the acculamated century's remains dulled her normally vibrant mane while she just walked up to the pair at the hole in the wall. 

"Princess Bluebelle." Her tone was very sharp, a cadence that cut the mind like a knife. One might compare the feeling it would bring up in some ponies as 'that voice mom makes when you've gotten her mad but she's really trying not to sound it.' "You should tell your servant to get safely away from this site and meet me at the base-camp we came here from." The subdued glare coming from the sultana implied that this wasn't something she saw as negotiable.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it was official now, apparently.  Once again, the royal unicorn's habits of poshness and posing had gotten her into a whole lot more trouble than she had ever prepared to deal with.  Bluebelle nervously touched the amulet around her neck as Nilaavin mentioned it.  Seemed she was going to make that a permanent part of her ensemble, unless she wanted to deal with an out-of-control sphinx!

And given how much destruction he could create while in control....

"Wait, wait!"  Bluebelle called out, far too late, as her new... servant?  Pet?  Whatever Nilaavin was, he just wrecked the whole side of the pyramid to make a hole for himself!  Of course, to be fair, it was extremely unlikely that he would be able to fit through the same passages Bluebelle and Basira had come in through, but still!  Wanton property damage was not what she had in mind.  "Be... be more careful next time."  She finished, feeling rather foolish as she stood in the newly-opened archway, blinking.

The tone of the Sultana as the horse addressed her guest sent the Princess' mane on end up and down the back of her neck.  She recognized that tone from when Auntie Celestia was attempting to very politely voice her displeasure with her nephew's behavior.  *Oh Faust, what am I going to tell Auntie about this?*  She could just picture the scene, with Nilaavin barging through the castle walls of Canterlot, sending the statuary flying and nobles fleeing for their lives, while the poor royal attempted to explain to an extremely unamused alicorn that he followed her home, could she keep him?

She shook her head.  Sufficient for the day were the troubles thereof, and there were plenty of those, for sure!  "Ah, yes, right you are.  Um, Mister Sphinx?  Actually, what is your name, I don't believe I caught it?  Eh, anyway, please follow me back to the base camp, and er, try not to break anything on the way, ok?"

Nilaavin stretches out like a cat as he opens his wings out to grab more sun. Being stuck in stone for… Well it must have been a very long time makes one truly miss the flaming disk in the sky. He let's his cxlaws sink in too the sand as he paws at it and yawns wide before looking back at the two ponies following him outside. “My name?” He asked as stands up tall, done with his stitching. “I am Nilaavin master. Lead the way and I will take care to not break something unless you so ask me to.” He says with snort of displeasure and wave of his paw for his new master to take lead. “I hope I can eat soon. I feel very hungry… and thirsty. I feel that being locked away in stone has done a number on me.” He mutters unhapply. “At least some fresh air and sun feels nice.”

• 3 weeks later...

Now that the trio had arrived at the camp, things became for the most part quiet. The trip back down to the base was a more tense type of silence then what lingered over this site. A stern visage was painted over the Sultana's features. As soon as they reached the primary tent she told Bluebelle to wait for a little while, again in that tone of strained politeness. 

A couple minutes later she returned to her guest with a bowl of ... Fish? With an unamused sigh she slid the bowl towards Nilaavin, "Some of the Griffin excavating team volunteered to give you some of their lunch." Thankfully, they didn't need much convincing given the show he made of busting down a wall earlier. Basira sucked in a deep breath  as she pulled over a chair, "So... Seems we've made quite the discovery today. May I ask what you plan to do with your new servant, Princess Bluebelle?"

Oh, my that was... a truly magnificent wingspan!  Bluebelle could not hide the amount of sheer admiration upon her face, though she did blush a little, clamping down hard on the brakes of the train of thought which a fine pair of wings usually sent chugging along.  This was a sphinx, not an equine.  Admiration was quickly covered in intimidation and nervousness as they crossed the camp, partly out of infection from the bystanders, partly from the dread of what the conversation would be once they were in private with the Sultana.

Ever the diplomat, however, the Princess buried it all underneath a smile.  "Nilaavin?  That's a pretty name.  Don't worry, we'll get lunch soon."  Oh dear, what did catbirds eat?  Well, the griffons he knew ate grains, game, and seafood.  Having caught a glimpse of her new servant's teeth, Blue felt the latter two more likely.  And this was a desert.  With no bodies of water, or animals for hunting nearby.  Oh dear.

Fortunately, being royal means having ponies, or horses, to take care of things for you.  That, unfortunately, did not include awkward conversations with fellow royals.  "Well..."  The Princess looked from Basira to Nilaavin.  "For now...?  I suppose he makes a good bodyguard.  I can't see any desert bandits daring to raid the camp while he's about!"

Nilaavin enjoyed walking to the camp, it felt wonderful moving about! The sand under his paws, sun on his fur and feathers. Freely moving his wings and tail. Truly he can take one thing away from that time in stone… Being flesh and blood was just wonderful. Even talking to his new master was nice change of pace from being alone with just his self. “You think my name is pretty?” He asked with the flick of an ear before looking down at the pony he walked alongside. “Never had a pony say such… thank you master.” He added with a faint smile at the complement before looking back at the land around them and the upcoming camp.

Well they did not go into it, he watched it like a lion looking for pray. His eyes following every movement and onlooker like they were mice… but in truth he was only looking at the clothing they had on and the camp itself. Spotting a griffin made him want to run over there and look at it up close! He’s never seen such a thing before! It’s back half looked like a sphinx but the front was bird like. He’s heard of such beasts before but to see one was fascinating. But his wonderment was cut short when he smells fish and his stomach made itself known with honger. The moment that big dish of fish got in front of him he was laying down and eating from it like one giant cat. Much much, chew chew he swallows his meal bite by bite as he watched his new master talk to the horse. Gibberish most of it, at least he understands what master was saying. “Bandits? Good some things never change. My first master did enjoy watching me play with foolish bandits… Even for a young sphinx they fear me. If some are so foolish as to riad us master I will see to puting on a good show for you as well.” He says with a confident grin as he wiggles a paw, claws out, in front of Blue.

• 4 weeks later...

"I see... " Basira was still seething about the archeological loss, "Well at the moment, while wehave him maybe we can... organize a trade of some sort." At this point her anger was just simmering at the surface. Her speech was a little bit clipped from the frustration but soon she relaxed enough to come up with a possible way to get something from this, "It's been ages to eons since you've last walked these sands or seen the world. Perhaps you can tell us something about the past and we can share things about how this new age works." She looked to Bluebelle questioningly.

"Would you be alright with this, Princess?" Her eyes seemed to say she was very certainly expected an answer in the affirmative. As if to push for one she glanced over to the still shattered wall of the tomb that they had flown from.

Seeing her new servant fed, as well as receiving gratitude for her compliment, began to put Bluebelle more at ease with Nilaavin.  Even enough for her to smile, rather than shudder, at the mental image of the sphinx 'playing' with bandits.  She'd had enough of trouble at the hooves and claws of them, pirates, and other such reprobates to quite enjoy any opportunity to exercise an advantage over them.  "Well, as long as you bring them all in alive, I don't mind letting you enjoy yourself a bit.  I'd say that I'd doubt any be so foolish, but as you said, some things never change."

Already, the Princess was thinking ahead.  Besides his intimidating factor, there was really a lot to recommend for Nilaavin being a part of her security team.  Her diplomatic work often took her to places where the potential dangers were worse than mere bandits.  Adding a Sphinx to her crack Honor Guard... the more she thought about it, the more she liked the idea.  In fact, Nilaavin in her mind was almost already a part of her royal household, which meant that the strained tension in Basira's voice was enough to put the hackles up on her own neck.  She was socially protective of those who were physically protective of her.

"Why, I don't see the objection to a conversation and exchange.  A living witness is miles beyond what any archaeologist could ever dream of, after all."  She replied to the Sultana, in the tone of voice of a mare who much preferred warm flesh to cold stone.

• 1 month later...

The heap of fish was going down fast, Nilaavin felt stavering and the fish were hitting the spot. He licks over his long cat like fangs as master told him him he has to bring bandits in alive. “If you so wish master, I shall drop them before you alive.” He says sounding somewhat disappointed, but it was the will of his master and nothing was spoken about them unharmed. If that was the case… Well, he really had no clue how’d he do that. He’d have to not use his teeth and claws. Just hold them between his paws? Blow sand at them? Dreadfull.

Done with his fish Nilaavin stretches out and starts grooming himself, he needed a good wash. He glanced at his master as spoke about some living witness. Well he only got too understand his master's side of it, Nilaavin had a gut feeling this was about him and… the past. Thare past. What felt like a few minutes ago for him. Much as he was trying to not think about it Nilaavin was getting a feeling the next few days were going to be very confusing as he gets up to speed. But if his master wanted to her about ‘the past’ Nilaavin can’t think of a better one to talk about it then himself for better or worse. But realy, how much may have changed? can't be to defrent. 

• 2 months later...

Basira had enough time to calm herself down abit, she still was deeply frustrated over the loss of that find... whatever's left and an eyewitness would have to do it seemed. The horse would take a deep breath and let out it out, "Thank you, Princess.  I apologize for my tone but this has been a very trying day for us both I'm sure." Although only one of them was going home with a gigantic sphinx as a guardian.

The Sultana would gather her thoughts and attempt to speak to the creature in the old tongue, "Well, Nilaavin. I trust you would be... alright answering some questions of the past? There are many that my land has and I'm not sure we have enough time to cover them all. How much of the story of the ruler who had you enchained was true? Were there many more like you? Have you any knowledge of cities of the past that may yet still exist?"

"I do, Nilaavin, so thank you."  Bluebelle nodded in reply to her new bodyguard's assent to 'bring them in alive.'  It was a relief to know that the big cat wasn't going to be uncooperative, especially given the size of those fangs!  What they could do to a pony if unleashed... she suppressed a shudder.  Thank Faust for small mercies.

And yet another was that the Sultana was calming down!  *Score another another victory for my diplomacy.*  Bluebelle thought to herself as she smiled and sipped her drink, genuinely curious as to what the sphinx would say in answer to Basira's questions...

Nilaavin leans his head to one side as Basira speaks to him, than chuckles softly. “I can not get over how you speak my tongue, its most charming in how… crude it is. Like a young foal. But I can tell you such things, master wills it as such.” He says standing up he as looks over the sands, than to the large building complex behind them. “The ruler of this, my old master. He was powerful in the artist use of magic, as shown by the… gift my new master is wearing on her neck. But his strong as he was, it was skill in one thing. No thing alive had the power to hold up to his magic, no matter what he may force it to his wishes. But his power was that, it was not for masses or hordes. In time his slaves took arms, a few dozen guards of power that were spellbound to him were northing to the swarm that ruined his home. Even I was overwhelmed as I crushed them like beetles.”

Nilaavin looks down at a paw, wiggling it as his claws slide out like scimitars. “A battle to be seen master. But I am young and do not have the size or power to send so many worthless slaves running. His fate is what you saw. In one last hopeless move he cast himself to stone and myself in the hope to outlast them. It seems they found him. Now… About me? How many? Hard to say but I can say I know of seven brothers and sisters, I was the youngest. Than my mother as well. I do not know the male that sired me but I believe it Na’dava from the deep sands of the south-west. Saw him one time, my fur looked much like his. So that makes… nine. There were more than us, but they were the only ones I knew by name.”

Opening his wings to the sun he basked in its glow as he thinked about the next part of his list. “Citys… That exist? I know not what may stand or may not. But I can only hope Ubar yet lives, it's streets laid with stone of gold guarded with my kin in the sands so deep. Or Saddlelon? How old it must be now? I dare not think of that or the dark things held deep in its heart. What of Dhofar? Does it yet stand? Its walls made of bronze glittering like gold before the sun and her armies so vast. I know not what stands, nore what time has done. For me it was been a nap, for you? Countless years? I do not know.” With that he looks down at at them both. “Tell me, how long the year, how countless the days did I sleep in stone? To help gude the passing of time, how long ago did Uah-abra, pharaoh of all pass? His death was… a few short years before my long rest. Hardly a remarkable pharaoh if you ask me, but his death makes a fine time stamp for in what age can the kings of sand be lost forever?”

• 2 months later...

DIDZErf.jpg

As Nilaavin spoke, Basira had already snatched up a quill and parchment to take notes. Her eyes momentarily glanced to those massive claws but she was much more concerned with the information over the immediate intimidation attempts by their ancient guest.  She'd have to look into any ruins in the southwest to see if she could find out anything about the male sphinx that sired Nilaavin. Perhaps she could bring a very old family together one day, but for now more information was needed.

"Saddlelon does indeed still stand! Though now that you say that I'll be sure to renew some digs around the city." Her eyes started to light up at the mention of Dhofar and Ubar, "Th-those are real?! This is just incredible!" The sultan's quill was almost a blur to the feline eye as she wrote down all her thoughts on this. The question about the pharoah made her ears perk up, "Hmm... About Twenty-five hundred years ago."

Archived