[Age of Heroes] Come one and all! Heroes get equipped!

moonshineTheleocat

As Bravo made his exit out the door, Hexxer stood there for a few seconds seeming rather dumbstruck. She had lived almost a thousand years sealed inside a golden coffin and was rudely waken up not too long ago. Usually when she first met other heroes they tried to make use of some form of manners: Decorum was often essential for a hero, or so she was told. In all her time she'd walked among these modern ponies none had been so rude as to call her a 'bucking ghost'.

The head still floating about gave an indignant snort as he walked off, "The nerve of some ponies. I've not died once in all my time of being ali--" Before she could finish that thought a surge of water from a broken pipe washed over her. A drenched curtain of hair now covered the floating head's eyes giving her the look of one of those creepy ghost ponies one would see popping up in Neighpon. She blew a small spout of water from her mouth and flipped herself over to let herself see the group once again. Hm, they were missing one? The students in this school sure knew how to make an exit. Could do with a bit less property damage though.

Hexxer's eyes soon met the shifters... it was a bit awkward given the fact eye contact was being given by a floating severed head, "It's a pleasure to meet you too, my dear!" The pony's accent a bit easier to hear over the 'r's ; something similar to the fetloch accent but a tad more lyrical sounding. "No need to fret with the titles and monikers, my friend's call me 'Lus' and I'd be happy to help you both with any pursuits later. If we run into a door I'll be sure to open it for you--."

A surprised yelp came from Lus as she felt Machina pick up her body and carry her over to... the rest of her. Her limbs flailed loosely as she was slung over the stallion's back and brought back over. Her attention was now affixed on partly mad scientist she cleared her throat, "Okay, I -am- spectral in nature but I promise you I have definitely not died... I'm just a bit in between states of being right now I suppose... and um... thanks for the cool comment." She said with an awkward smile and faint blush of her cheeks, "... and uh, lunch sounds good."

All the way up the stairs, Lus could feel those judgmental looks. She was no stranger to them but she rarely felt them as intensely as this.  Once they'd got out in the open and bravo began to appreciate this new world Lus stepped forward a bit, her head floating over by his side and nodded, "Lovely isn't it? ... and trust me if you were dead I'd know it. Just to make sure you're not dreaming though..." 

Bravo would feel a pinch on his plot, a shadowy tendril flat on the floor that stemmed from the body's shadow slid up his leg to give him that surprise and then zipped back just as swiftly as it came.

Shifter tried very hard not give the specter called Hexxer a wide berth, to show her that Shifter was not unfriendly. But it was very hard. Shifter never knew what to make of such heroes with such abilities but Shifter was closer than one would like to admit. Shifter's original form had been destroyed in the accident that gave Shifter powers. Technically Shifter was little more than a spirit that could take physical form. Technically. Anyway Shifter chose to look at it though, Shifter found no real way to work past some of the harshest science behind the event. In that, Shifter envied this strange Hexxer. “Lux? Well, that will be just fine by me. Sounds like a fine name,” Shifter said, wondering what the significance behind it was. If there was one, anyway. Spirits could be unusual in that regard.

Speaking of unusual, Bravo's reaction was...intense. Shifter never doubted for a moment that he believed he was in some sort of awful timeline. The armor was unusual, the words and phrases were utter nonsense. But what Shifter hadn't counted on was this reaction. The emotions behind it were as honest as the sunrise was heartwarming. He eventually left his power armor to embrace this new world, the real world, with deep breaths and tears. Shifter allowed him his time. He needed it. Realizations must flood in soon. This world was in a much better state than his, but it was not his world. Not his time. Those he cared for were not here. Would he go back? Was he even able to? There would be a lot more to come for him. For now though, let the joy of such a peaceful day succor him. “Let it out, Mister Bravo, and then let it in. This is the world as it is. And here at this academy, we strive to make sure it remains so,” Shifter said happily, allowing Bravo to reach his own conclusions.

After a few more moments Shifter fell back, this time Shifter's mind refocusing on why they had arrived, and the offer of equipment from the...rather mad scientist that the academy had on tap. His genius was without question, but his stability was doubtful. What did Shifter want? What did Shifter need? The want was easy. Shifter's first body, that of Valen Orange, back. Then again it had been destroyed at the atomically precise level so Shifter doubted it existed in any form. As for need? Well, Shifter didn't know what to ask for. They had been told to come to the lab and get equipped. Shifter didn't know what Shifter may need. “As for the equipment, Mister Machina...I admit, I don't really know. I'm not sure what equipment I'd even be able to use, to be honest.”

Machina left the armored stallion to his own devices. From what the stallion can gather from the rust and hints of arcane radiation… this is a moment best spent in silence and alone. Yes, yes… best to let silence be the song to carry on this vista for the stallion. After all, there were other things that machina must look into. Like the needs of his students.

His gaze turned to Shifter who spoke up first. He listened carefully… expecting to hear the desires… only to get some unknowns. The stallion’s head slowly canted to the side in thought. Then finally he made a soft ‘huh’. “I’d imagine this one would be a tad more obvious to you,” The stallion chirped. He glanced behind himself towards both Hexxer and Bravo and then back to Shifter.

“From the brief display of abilities you showed me. It seems your powers align heavily towards the tactics of infiltration and guerrilla warfare! Roguish things really.” The stallion chimmed as he now made his way towards the counter of the outdoors food court. “So. Logically, you’d want something that can assist in making your job easier by exposing a layer of synchronization. Anything that can help you gather information, cause confusion, or even help you break line of sight in a moments notice.”

• 4 weeks later...

The pinch on his flank did jump Bravo back to his senses with a yelp and glare of utter hatred aimed at Hexxer buy even that soon gave away to a soft smile as he huffed and shook his head at the ponies around him. “You say it so simply, so matter of fact. But it is for you. This… this view is life. Fact. Another day. I have never… EVER seen… this. A day like this. A clear blue sky, green hills and the outlines of cities that are not broken. It's like a postcard of old. My world has…” He starts laughing before he can finish what he was saying. “My world? That’s how this is now. This is an other one. By Lunas will…” He shakes his head and pulls himself up to his hooves and walked back to his powered armor and gently places his head on it with a soft chuckle as the tears keep coming from his eyes. “I need a moment. Sorry.” He mutters in a tone full of sorrow as he struggles to come to grips with what was before him.

What is he in this world? What he has done? What he was part of? Was he a killer? A traitor? Was this Government the same one he battles for back home? Was Luna the leader of this brave land like in his time? Or were both sisters in power? What can he say to the other? How she ran and did nothing as her land went to war? How does he tell Luna she became queen of a land and master of the worlds largest army? So many things flooded his mind one after another. What of the foals he sired? What of his friends? Famly? Can he go back? All of this was to much and so… He screams in anger with all the air his lungs had before they run out. Panting for air he slammed his head against his armor over and over as yelled more between painted breaths in a hail storm of cuss words so horrible even a sailor will have covered their ears.

Done with his outburst he falls down on his side and just lays there. The arrogant, rude and self-assured solder was no more. In its place was a pony crying like a foal for milk as the gravity of everything fell on him. Pulling his wings up to cover his head he lays there, hiding beneath his wings blocking out the world around him as did his best to vent and clam down before he vomited.

• 2 months later...

Hexxer was fairly used to the occasional breakdown of  ponies who received bad news. Her existence was in part devoted to giving bad news to such ponies... usually they were dead, so seeing a full grown stallion having and outburst and being left in tears by the gravity of his situation in this context was a tad shocking even to her. "Hey, I know that this is a lot to take in." She calmly approached the pegasus, "... I'd advise you to take some time in the academy. I'm sure that the Sentinel and the Knight... -uh. That's our universes' Celestia and Luna- will be happy to meet you and fill you in."

Once Bravo manage to calm himself (and his belly) he would see an outstretched hoof to help him back up, "Tough guy like you can weather any world without showin' his belly, right?" She asked with an encouraging smile ... on her still orbiting head.

She looked back to Shifter and Machina, "After our friend get's accustomed and we get out business sorted out. How about we take him on a tour of the grounds?"

• 3 weeks later...

It may have shocked Hexer but it did not unnerve Shifter much. Shifter wondered why that was. The easy answer was that Shifter had once a similar reaction stretched over what felt like years when the body of Valen Orange was destroyed both physically and metaphysically. Being alive and not alive, existing yet not, was an existential crisis that had done a number on the former colt's mind. Even now Shifter would fail to describe the sensation of what not-being and aware felt like. Words very literally did not exist and once words did exist to describe the despair they were not words Shifter was given to revisiting. Shifter was not shocked at Bravo's reaction, but Shifter was sympathetic. Shifter knew that there was nothing that could be said to assuage such grief. In time, perhaps soon, the mere act of walking about would guarantee a level of safety and familiarity that may breed a better life for Bravo. The idea of a tour was a good one. For now, Shifter gave several gentle pats on Bravo's back and left him to his own world, as distant as it was. He would improve soon. Shifter had a good feeling about it, but knew that outside help could not come until Bravo was ready to receive it. Time would not heal the wound, but it would soon allow others in. That was enough. "When he is ready, Hexxer, I think that idea is just dandy."

Which meant, at least briefly, Shifter could focus on why Shifter had been sent here. Gear. The basic idea that Machina had come up with was sound, but it needed modifications. "The idea of some sort of stealth suit is very interesting, yes. Of course, it has to take into account how my powers work. When I transform into another creature, the clothing changes as well to fit who I am turning into. I can also turn into inanimate objects and animals. So whatever I wear has to take that into consideration, too," Shifter said. Giving a small demonstration, Shifter turned into a small falcon that flew around a bit and then landed, before turning back into the maid from earlier, complete with uniform. "The only issue is that my memory recall is perfect. I do copy them in such a way that I do have their memories, but they are at best fragmented, and it takes more exposure or study for me to 'unlock' more of their memory and personality. A suit that can help with that with information gathering and remain useful during transformations would be very helpful."

Archived