A focusing Lens [Open]

Switchback

The day was just starting for many citizens of Ponyville, the sun raising up overhead just enough to peek through the closed curtains of most ponyfolk, the day as pleasant as it always was when rain wasn't scheduled. The small town glistened in the light, not least of which the castle of the Alicorn Princess of Friendship, certainly a place for one to visit on holiday, the crystalline structure performing well in its job to look nothing like the rest of the town it was in, highlighting it as the abode of an important figure. For Lens however, the day was not just starting; he had been wondering the streets of Ponyville all night and was now enjoying the warmth of the sun as he continued his laps. Work had been drying up recently for the colt, and unless he came across a major case soon; he was at great risk of losing the little shack that he called both his office, and his home. An even worse thought for the colt was that once that was lost, really there was nothing cheaper than it except to sleep on the streets. So he had started travelling out further in search of a big time case that could save his career and his home, a search that today had him staking out every street in Ponyville, waiting for something important to stumble across him.

Sioux1602511417567993021%3Faccount_id%3D11171099076699385392?account_id=1 Platinum Flash

"I told you to keep your eye on it, imbecile!" The high pitched tone echoed down the street over, as well as a squeal from another pony.

"Hey, this isn't my fault~! You didn't tell me to watch it, why don't you chill out and just ask around, for crying out loud, this town is smaller than most, the thief shouldn't be that far."

"That's not the point, the point is that that book is not only expensive but holds some of the worst spells yet... Almost as bad as that big serpent, elk, pony, dragon... Thing?"

The bickering soon grew closer and closer until two unfamiliar and rather strange faces came into view, a certain young mare and young stallion trotting with one another, the female claiming the voice of the more annoyed pony while the stallion held a more carefree tone. The young mare was all too peculiar to be from these parts, she looked like a villain from an old storybook... A witch, possibly? Her false antlers standing proudly on her short white mane which hid her foggy red eyes from view well, the many pale brown stripes that were pasted all over her lime coat only added to her strange exterior. She held an umbrella in one of her hooves as if the Sun would cause her trouble if she didn't have it, but another thing stood out, the fact that the stallion kept redirecting her, could she possibly not see well? Maybe it's just her mane covering her eyes? Who knows...

On the other hand, the young stallion looked like any other pony, just not nearly as vibrant and colorful as those you see around Ponyville, nor was he a familiar face from these parts. His messily slicked back platinum and one baby blue streaked mane matched a majority of his color scheme. Aside from his normal look, he looked to be less bulky or muscular like most stallions, rather skinny and lanky like a young mare. Around his neck was a large, heavy-duty camera which matched his cutie mark. The two obviously were attracting much attention, the mare more than the stallion.

"I swear on every darn creature that if some cooky magician ends up with my stuff, I will smash your camera and dance on its grave!" The mare barred her sharp, shark-like teeth at her companion, her foggy red eyes shining through her silky white man, giving her this devilish type of look.

"You're so evil~!" He only sulked, seeming unphased by her threat and appearance, most likely they were close considering the whispers amongst other ponies - A majority of them about the mare, but the few questioning who the stallion was and why he was talking with her. This hinted that this mare held a very poor reputation and was pretty infamous around here, "Even so, I believe if you ask around for help that this search will-"

"Never! I refuse help from the peasantry, I shall do this on my own - With or without you!"

Lens hears what sounded like perhaps an argument, however to him lines like this often more spoke out as opportunities to profit. He ducked into the same street as the pair, listening to then as he walks along a bit behind them. From what he could hear a rather pricey book had gone missing, no, maybe stolen. A book containing powerful spells no less, such a coincidence could only happen while he was nearby; it sounded like a rewarding job though once again things sounded like they were hanging in the balance for the slightly odd looking mare. Perhaps even time for a dashing hero to step in, hero for hire of course, he thought to himself, smiling as he planned his approach in his mind; this one sounded like she was very against getting help, or at least from 'peasantry' lucky for her then that his help was professional.

Deciding to step across now he walks a bit faster to be alongside Sioux, speaking confidently, as he always did. "My dear I couldn't help but hear that you've come across a few issues with thieves. You know, for the right price I would be willing to lend a professional touch. You know, help get your lost object back real quiet like, under the radar and so nopony else has to know it went missing. No better price around these parts as well, I can promise you. Unless you want to slob out and go for the untrained help of course." he subtly jerks his head in the direction of the stallion with her "But if you want it back quickly and discretely, we can negotiate price upon return."

Sioux was so deep in thought, she didn't notice the stallion until he spoke, she jumps back, nearly bumping into her companion who in return grits his teeth and pushes her back into place gently with his hoof. They both turn their attention to the stranger, Platinum eyeing him suspiciously as his words had this eerie sort of feeling lingering around them, although, a certain mare was quite intrigued by this secretive stallion who coincidentally heard their bickering from just a street away. That doesn't mean he won her trust and respect right away because immediately she decided she would push this stallion a bit on his "Secret Service". 

"Secret Service, huh? That's a bit suspicious, I wouldn't want to get my tail caught in some mess... I suppose having professional help would be excellent for this case, I would prefer no one to find out about my book, although, for a price? Hmm, I don't know... I could just ask around a bit for free~!" Her lips curled into an awful grin, "What prices are you offering, sir?"

While she seemed to be picking her own fight, Platinum was sweating bullets at her confident behavior, something that always worried him because he knew not every pony was a ray of sugar cubes and sunshine, "S-Sioux... Maybe... Maybe you should die it down a bit- Wait, did you just call me untrained?!" He sulks more, causing Sioux's grin to grow and for an evil snicker to escape her lips.

"I suppose he did, watcha gonna do about it~?" She spoke in a sing-song tone, rocking side to side on her hooves like a child, "I'm just kidding, even though I hate him," The stallion whimpered at her insult, his jaw hanging as his eyes were wide from the sudden pain of her harsh words, "I will not stand for anyone but ME to insult him~!" She may sound like a horrible mare, but the stallion seemed to brighten up right away, "Unless you pay me a few bits for every insult you want to give him, which in that case... Go ahead!" His offended face returned just as quickly as it had left.

"Sioux, I don't think it's a good idea... What if he's part of some mafia? Maybe he is tricking you for your money... But profession help would prove to make this a bit easier."

He grins; this one was certainly a teasing type of mare, always the fun ones to be grouped with. Her associate seemed a tad more boring, but he was sure he could put up with that for a time. "Yeah you could ask around for free, get some of the cheap seats who couldn't tell a heist from an 'accident' or you can take a tried and true expert on everything legal and... not so legal. The price will depend on the risk involved with the case, determined afterwards so I know I'm not being conned either." he brushes his weathered jacket off a bit.

He turns to the other pony with a smile "Unless that baby face of yours is secretly hiding at least five years of work solving... issues of legality. In which case you have to tell me what you use to moisturize." he winks with a chuckle.

Lens bows to Sioux with a nod "Ah but it's not an insult if its the truth. I highly doubt any Ponyville resident can match my level of skill in the work that I do. Even helped out an element of harmony before with a slight wardrobe malfunction. The type of malfunction where a chest full of important clothing goes 'missing' so I'm definitely pretty awesome. And humble too, it's a hard life being this perfect really." 

He listens to what Platinum said, smiling as he shrugs "Well okay then, I know well enough when I ain't wanted. Have fun tracking down wherever that fancy dancey book of yours has gotten to." he spins around, walking backwards as he bows to them "Guess I'll be on my way to more profitable pursuits" he starts to walk away, counting down in his head for the reaction to come. "After all, how hard can it be to track down a book in a town like Ponyville, with good railway access and plenty of book stores? Sure you two have this." 

Sioux enjoyed this stallion very much, it's rare for her to enjoy the companies of others which she will admit often leads to great conflict, but this cocky stallion sure is persuading her quite well and even though she hates losing battles, she believes she can spare this loss just once. As she contemplates, the continuous insults towards her best friend- Ahem, companion catches her ear. She holds in a chuckle, this stallion was indeed right after all but the sulking was growing both annoying and weird since Platinum rarely sulks unless it's caused by her.

"Ah-Ah-Ah... Enough being mean," She gives her friend- AHEM, companion a gentle pat on the shoulders to consolidate him, although, she notices the stallion begin to trot off, she sends a glare to her COMPANION before calling out to this strange stallion, "Hey, hey, hey! I never denied your help, sir~! Nor did I accept it, but now that I already see us getting along well, doing business with you shouldn't hurt." She gives Platinum a gentle nudge as well as a mischevious grin, "Although let's hope that price isn't too high, I don't plan on paying someone pounds of bits for a small task and solution~!"

It took Platinum a few moments to realize why she had been grinning so weird until it snapped in his head, that dreaded curse that was "blessed" upon her, of course! If this mare had any sort of skill, it was causing both chaos and bad luck - She is basically the walking, pony form of Karma, the complete opposite of Platinum who served to be anything but evil unless Sioux put him up to it. Honestly, that stallion would do anything for his muse.

Sioux gives her companion a gentle pat on the cheek, "Don't worry, your face looks just fine - But seriously, what moisturizer DO you use?" She instantly begins using her free hoof to pet his cheeks and face, both her actions and compliments lighting him up like a firework.

Lens spins around as he is called out, grinning as his plan worked. "Ah well you didn't, no. But your companion is so against the help of a charming but mysterious stranger. Wouldn't be right to force him into anything." he levitates a pen out his pocket, spinning it idly with a straight face again. "But oh what the hell, for a face like your own, madam, how could I say no?" he smirks again, pocketing his pen "Ah curse my inability to say no to a pretty mare." he then laughs, shaking his head "Small task, nah. Sorry but it kind of happens that whenever something goes wrong and I am nearby, it's an omen that the situation is more than you realise. Strap yourselves in now because I can promise a bumpy ride in our futures." He steps back in line with the other two, walking at their pace again "So then, tell me everything about your walk today, and when you know you had the book as opposed to when you didn't, and anyone who knows about the importance of that book." he flips open his notebook, adjusting his sunglasses with his magic.

Sioux's cheeks flare red as she gives a sharp green, "I know I am pretty, duh~! Don't need to state the obvious." While Sioux seemed to take the compliment well, her companion did not and found himself once again glaring at this stranger, it seemed he was being possessed by the feeling of jealousy, especially by the fact that his muse was being much "kinder" to his gentlecolt rather than she is with him. None the less, he keeps his snout shut and zipped tight.

As the three begin to walk, Sioux recalls the day while Platinum simply whips out his bulky camera, snapping pictures all around, "Well, I do remember having it when we stopped at that bizarre bookstore, which is where I originally received the generous donation... That was around twelve PM, although, my bag felt a bit lightweight after we left that Gardener's booth, I know for a fact she didn't steal it - She stands more than five feet away from me whenever I am in need of her service~!" She once again quiets, going into deep thought, while adjusting the umbrella perching over her head, blocking the sunlight from hitting both her and parts of the two stallions on either of her sides.

Platinum lowers his camera, "The only person who knows about the book is the bookstore guy, Sioux, me, and now you... We only noticed it went missing around twenty minutes ago when we stopped at a nearby fruit stand, she went in her bag and started screaming about it being gone," He sends a grin towards the mare, even though she couldn't see it, "That's when we retraced our steps and now here we are..."

Lens laughs "Hey just pointing it out." He did notice the reactions of the stallion, but it was normal; so many stallions had such an ego problem to the point where they won't even speak to a nice looking mare for fear of being hurt with rejection. He then listens to the locations they visited, thinking carefully on the possibilities he started to build up situations in his head, theories to disprove, theory one, someone was waiting in the bookstore who wanted that book but didn't want to be linked with it financially, so waited in the shop until they came across it again. Maybe then following the pair to the Gardener, nabbing it while they were distracted, he looked back at the stallion, shaking his head; perhaps he would notice a bit more without staring at life through a lens. "Well then. It makes sense for us to give that bookshop a visit, don't you think? Be quite interesting to see what kind of a pony stocks books such as that. And more importantly what other types of ponies frequent it. And don't forget to get my best side with that camera, so you know, 360 degrees of options there." he grins, looking at the umbrella "Do you perhaps want to borrow my spare pair of shades? That thing is going to really slow you down in the chases. Because I can promise there will be chases."

Platinum spun, snapping a picture of Sioux before grinning, "I don't have time to take pictures of you when my muse is right in front of me~! Besides, coming from a professional photographer, unfortunately, I can't seem to pinpoint any good shots of you... Apologies~" Sioux snorted, her grin only widening before she bursts into a fit of laughter, her chest heaving at how hard she laughed which only caused the photographer to laugh as well and snap a few more pictures of her as the lighting and genuine expression was picture perfect.

"That was a good one, I liked that... I suppose my beauty is quite blinding, oh! Maybe that's why I am blind, I saw myself in the mirror one day and just BAM can't see anymore." Sioux giggled, not seeming to care much about the disadvantages of her disability, "Anyways, if your shades are large enough to cover my entire body, sure... Unfortunately, my looks come with many troubles - I am very sensitive to the Sunlight, hence the fact my hair is completely white since I can't absorb its rays without burning up. My mane will fall out with the slightest bit of Sun and I will grow painful blisters and rashes on my coat, it's awfully painful and I learned that the hard way~!"

"She's basically saying she is allergic to the Sun and that her umbrella is what's keeping her alive right now."

"Ohoh, your /muse/ huh? Oh boy lad you may as well go on and tell her. Ain't that hard, especially to a lady like her." he rolls his eyes with a laugh before shuddering at her description of her condition "Ouch, and here I thought I had it bad from being a walking magnet for danger, trouble, action and romance. So sort of super albino then. Horrible thing to happen, why not wear actual clothing? A nice bodysuit and hat." He then freezes "Wait a minute... magical book from a strange shop. And I'm assuming an even stranger unicorn running it perhaps? One with a dress sense a bit too elegant for working in a dusty bookshop with varying opening hours without reason or explanation?" he asked, starting to realise he may know this particular book seller

"She already knows she is my muse," Platinum rolls his eyes, gritting his teeth and going back to peering at the world through his camera lens, "It doesn't matter anyway, I'm not a filly either, even though I don't look the part I am equally the same age as this one." He was indicating Sioux who was muttering to herself, the sounds of shutters and clicking can be heard as he continues with his passion going rather silent.

Sioux nods her head quickly, seeming to snap out of her own world, "Yup, yup~! Super Albino Sioux is here to cause Bad Luck!" The summary of the dear bookstore clerk caused a lightbulb to appear over Sioux's head, "Ah, yes! Coltson, he originally gave me the book, quite the gentlecolt indeed - It's unfortunate we can't speak with one another more often, he's yet another example of the very few ponies I get along with, seeing that I don't like the ordinary." She began to swerve to the side, causing Platinum to quickly put his hoof out and redirect her to trot straight while continuing to click away at his bulky device, "Thank you."

His eyes narrow as he mutters "Of course it had to be him." He straightens himself up with a nod "Well good, guess I know where we are going then. I'll try and do the talking, see if I can prod out the answers that I need from him. In keeping with our agreement of course, the right to withhold information from eachother." he shakes his head, trying to keep himself from becoming annoyed at having to talk to this pony again he breathes deeply "Let's just get this part over and done with then, save any anger for afterwards when I'm not on the clock or for when I'm faced with a lawbreaker on my own terms."

Sioux trotted ahead happily, completely different than how she was earlier, no longer screeching and bouncing about angrily like a marshmallow. It didn't take long for her "Secret" admirer to hurry ahead, both out of concern and just the delight of walking beside her. The last thing Platinum Flash needs is for this mare to make the wrong turn and go tumbling into something like last time, none the less, he made it his duty to help her in any way that fits.

It didn't take long to arrive at the bizarre bookstore known for its rare collection of books from all over Equestria and even farther out of the Equestrian Territory, it's been weeks, maybe even months since Sioux has last seen her friend who originally lent her the now lost book in return for her to guide him throughout the Everfree Forest. The bookshop looked all the same, nothing out of place nor unusual to the naked eye, but there could very well be plenty of other things hidden within. Sioux didn't hesitate to barge in with a battle cry, staring at bookshelf rather than the front desk just like the first time she came here, "Fool of the bookstore, I summon thee!"

Platinum stepped inside and face-hoofed, "Sioux, for once... Please..." It is true, even Platinum could get the slightest bit unsettled by said mare's actions, but that didn't cause their friendship to falter one bit, at least to Platinum. Every shop they enter, Sioux must make a grand entrance.

For Coltson, the week had been horribly boring, no missions had come through for him to go on, which left him in charge of the bookstore, however aside from the occasional visit from Sioux, he didn't seem to have many visitors nowadays, and yet he could guarantee that the moment missions came in so would customers. As he was thinking on this strange occurrence the usual sound of Sioux entering his shop rang out. He chuckles as he wanders over to her, adjusting his black shades and crisp clean suit as he hugs her "Hello again, little forest snake." he laughs "So what can I do for you today? I'm afraid I haven't had any new books recently. And very much sadly I have no need of travel to the Everfree Forest at least for now. Terribly sorry about that, but hey, no new objects I wish to find that have been lost." he steps away from her with a grin "I still want to try those horns on though." 

Lens then stepped into the shop, immediately locking eyes with Coltson as the cocky detective's attitude became a lot more serious and oddly blunt. "Coltson." he said curtly, nodding to the stallion. "I need to have a few words with you about a book. And about certain customers that come through here."

A hug from any old stranger could cause this mare to freak out and have a moment of literal craziness, but considering Coltson was her friend, she returned the hug with ease and bounced in happiness, spinning in circles like her usual hyperactive self... Although, her mood swings definitely didn't go unnoticed, especially by Platinum who didn't fail to snap a few pictures of her in this excited state which rarely emerges from the darkest depths of her heart.

"Hello, sir~! I am not in need of any new book, for we have a thief on our hands and I plan to steal their retinas!" Her grin grew, Platinum's jaw-dropping slowly and his eyes widening as he slowly lowers his camera to stare at his dear Sioux, "Platinum, is it possible for me to use another's retinas to see?" This only caused further concern to surface inside the stallion. Sioux turned back to Coltson, lifting her false horns off and giggling as the heavyweight was lifted from her head, "Of course, you should come by my humble abode again~! I have new antlers, they're gorgeous..." She goes into a state of admiration as she thinks of her new antlers.

While Sioux is distracted, she totally forgot of Lens'  presence and his addressing to Coltson went by unnoticed, Platinum scooching closer and beginning to poke her, trying to carefully awake her from her strange state. These happen often, but right now she looked almost like a zombie.

Coltson nods, listening to Sioux now, happy not to be listening to Lens "A thief huh... that could be an issue... And eh, please don't go stealing retinas; it doesn't work like that." he chuckles, watching her lift the horns off and chat about her new ones, he smiles "Oh I'm sure I'd love to see them, although this issue does sound concerning if it is the book that I'm sure was stolen. Then it could be the original owner of the book has tracked it down to here."

Lens snorts "Of course. Another issue caused by you, Coltson. Another one that I have to clean up." he glares at the stallion, looking actually angered at the stallion.

Coltson waves a hoof "Oh go sweet talk some star eyed young filly, you're good at that, right Lens old boy? You're certainly very good at putting your issues onto other people and dragging them down the slide that is your life." he looks back to Sioux and Platinum "If this situation is what I think it is, then you are both in a lot of danger right now. I'd say you just take a step back and leave it to the hapless wonder over there." he gestures towards Lens "Don't endanger yourselves over this as well."

The mare frowns, "But I wanna steal retinas..." She mutters with a pout, silking silently as Platinum pats her back to try and cheer her up.

"We can steal retinas another time." The stallion knows his suggestion would probably lead to the worst case scenario of something he surely doesn't want to witness, but in all honesty, as we know, he would do anything for Sioux.

She beams at the idea and lets out a wave of laughter, "Ahahaha~! Danger is my middle name-"

"I thought it was-"

Sioux slaps her hoof over Platinum's mouth, causing him to screech in pain and replace her hoof with both of his, checking for blood from her violent but accidental and unintentional gesture, "Shush! Anyways, take trouble and make it double when I'm around~! I single flick of my hoof and BAM bad luck is loose all over Ponyville... I wanna do cool stuff, too~!" She lets out a childish whine, spinning around. It probably would have been best if Coltson refrained from telling her things would be dangerous, Sioux believes that everything dangerous is actually exciting.

"Sioux... Maybe you should listen... For once?" The sulking stallion rubs his snout, "We've already done... Quite enough today." He cringes as the horrible memories of today come back, especially that one that had to deal with a frozen fish.

"No way, especially now that I know these two have a drama llama between them, it can be like a real-life soap opera!"

Coltson shakes his head, looking at Sioux "No, listen to me this time. Any danger that you encounter with /him/ is far more than I am willing to put you through.There's nothing in Equestria more dangerous than helping that stallion stood with you. The bad luck you experience is nothing compared to what gets attracted to that stallion, there's bad luck then there's unreasonable danger. And with this particular foe, I am afraid that it is something that I cannot accompany you to help with, so forget anything about your soap opera situation. I know he will be able to fix your problem, even alone, so just leave him to do it, please. The pony who has your book is a trickster and a silvertongue, he will whisper to your desires and wants and edge you over to his side. It is the only item I have nearly not come back from going to get." he looks to Platinum "Do not let her go and do this. Now shoo, get out. Lens, look for a set of ponies who suddenly seem to have things going right for them, or some who had something good that just suddenly and inexplicably stopped. Go." He gestures them out quickly

While Sioux had a sour face on, simply wanting to indulge herself in something fun but dangerous, but it seemed more ponies than one wanted her to sit back and not partake in these events than she expected. She lifted up her antlers and adjusted them one again on her head, struggling at first as to how it should be positioned due to the fact she couldn't look into a mirror even if she had one, which once again brought it trusty Platinum who was once again helping her with yet another task.

As the two were shooed out, Sioux squeaked and quickly opened her umbrella before hopping outside, waving back at the bizarre bookstore owner before turning to Lens, "Only I can create the bad luck, which means whoever has the book will be receiving good luck. It's a long story but I am pretty sure this summarizes it, everything I do is opposite when it comes to my passion, good turns to bad and bad turns to good - That's not the same for anyone else who holds the book." 

The sun was already setting and the mare gritted her teeth as her friend informed her of the time after peering down at the watch around his wrist, "The night time isn't a very good time to work..." He starts, "At least not for you and I, Sioux..." He was obviously hinting at the idea for them to both hit the hay for the night and allow Lens to do his duty like he originally said he would.

Archived