Official Discussion Thread - S08E01/02 School Daze - Part 1 & 2

tacobob

41amNfv.png

School Daze Pasts One And Two are the 1st and 2nd episodes of season eight of My Little Pony Friendship is Magic and the one hundred and seventy and one hundred and seventy-one. This is the premier (Pre-Mare!) two part episode of season eight.

Twilight Sparkle and her friends return from stopping the Storm King from taking over Equestria, and discover the map in her castle has expanded to include the various locations outside of Equestria they had to visit. Twilight realizes there is a larger world of ponies and other species outside of Equestria that could be dangerous, but they could help spread the message of friendship, too. She decides to open a school to help teach this. Princess Celestia agrees with Twilight, but cautions her that she will have to get the school approved by the Equestria Education Association (EEA), which oversees all educational activities in Equestria.

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk! :blah:

Fun episode.

Spoiler

And we get our first movie reference. The new students are all adorable...My favorite is probably going to be Smolder..Although I wish they did not give her Scootaloo's colors. The great Maurice LaMarche voices new character Neighsay who is a bit of a bigot. Hopefully we will see more of him..He looks to be powerful, but is a bit of a coward. This is what happens when you skip combat spell classes! I would not be surprised if the events in the movie soured more than a few ponies from embracing the rest of the world...Canterlot was taken over rather quickly. If only they had legions of armored ponies to protect the city. Hmmph.:x

We also get sassy school teacher Rarity.

DeSfu44.png

3 hours ago, FrankT said:
  Hide contents

It's definitely a thought-provoking commentary on the educational system. Also, why did Celestia choose a racist as chancellor?

Spoiler

I have a feeling he probably did not start out that way when she hired him. Something happened to him..I'm guessing it happened during the movie when Canterlot was attacked by the Stormlord..Or the Changelings...When Ocellus 'attacks', he is quick to hide behind Twilight.

3 minutes ago, tacobob said:

Hide contents

I have a feeling he probably did not start out that way when she hired him. Something happened to him..I'm guessing it happened during the movie when Canterlot was attacked by the Stormlord..Or the Changelings...When Ocellus 'attacks', he is quick to hide behind Twilight.

Spoiler

Actually, he was chosen to basically be in charge of pony schools. Emphasis on pony schools. He could have always been racist, but that wouldn't matter back then. She probably didn't even know. 

On 3/26/2018 at 3:09 PM, QuickLime said:
  Hide contents

It REALLY bothered me that during Brain ponys little rail against the other students, Celestia didn't say something akin to "Equestria is for ALL CREATURES, how DARE you exclude other races and nearly start a WAR?"

Spoiler

Yeah, i gotta agree with you...While Princess Celestia wants to teach ol' Twilight, sometimes she needs to step up and make sure horrible war does not start because of one racist horse.

• 3 weeks later...

Spoiler

It might very well be a red herring, but I feel they're setting up Neighsay to be a villain here. Maybe he'll operate in the shadows, trying to sabotage Twilight and her students. Maybe he'll even join forces with Chryssy! The speculation is juicy.

Archived