Cold Snap! A Helping Hoof! OPEN!!!!

Dashman562

Boulder Dash took a deep breath of crisp sir as he trotted through Ponyville with his saddle bags and a small sleigh behind him with a shovel and other tools on it.  Though Winter Wrap Up was still being planned, Boulder Dash had volunteered at a local meeting to get a jump start on things by clearing areas most frequently used by Fillie and the elderly.  Always willing to help his friends and neighbors, especially after befriending he Princess of Friendship herself, Boulder was always happy to lend a helping hand with his great strength.

Looking at the Town Hall as he passed it he pulled a letter out of his saddle bag and began reading it as other Ponies around him went about their day.

Dear Boulder Dash, On behalf of the Ponies of Ponyville, I wish to thank you for your help today and say how grateful we are to have you back home and for your volunteer work today.  Below is a list of spots to clear today as requested by our citizens and businesses.  Once again thank you for your help and please stop by my office if you have any questions.  Yours Gratefully, Mayor Mare

Boulder Dash smiled and made his way to his first stop, The Ponyville School Building.  As he approached he recalled his own days attending the school when he was a filly himself.   He waved to the young fillies as some went into the School to get warm while a few stayed outside to watch the large Earth Stallion work.  Approaching a large oak near the school playground Boulder Dash saw it was still covered in snow that was slowly melting.

Smirking he walked over to the tree, adjusting his hat, and cracked his thick neck.  He then smashed his head into the tree causing it to rattle and shook as if hit with a Boulder or a large club, and then all the snow fell from the tree into the ground. 

The Fillies watching cheered and a few stamped thier hoofs approvingly.  Boulder Dash bowed like a play wright to them, only to be hit on the head by a last plop of snow on the tree.  "Whoa!" he shouted as the snow hit him, causing a few Fillies to chortle and laugh loudly.

6046244037764588925%253Faccount_id%253D3Flower Eyes

Flower Eyes exited the school building, her eyes squinted down at her younger brother who just so happened to be "sick". There was no way she would believe him, he looked quite fine from where she stood beside him, although, she may be wrong. None the less, she had to take him home due since the teacher didn't want him to get anyone else "sick". The chilly air was nothing out of sorts for this Pegasus who worked in the clouds days without end, which is obviously why she didn't have a hat to protect her ears, nor a scarf around her thin neck, or even a cloak to cover her body... Nothing.

On the other hand, her brother was bundled up head to toe, that's how you know Flower's mother had another one of her "overprotectiveness" episodes. As the two walked out, Flower spotted an unfamiliar stallion by the tree, eyeing him, he looked so out of place among this ground for fillies - But he didn't look like a bad pony, must be some sort of worker? Her thoughts were interrupted when her brother, Crimson Thread, burst into laughter - She first glared at him, a way of saying, "Are you really sick or just playing sick to get home early?" Although, when he points to the stallion, she notices snow coating him like a blanket.

Flower isn't the humorous sort of pony and simply walks over with a straight face, her brother scurrying behind her like cattle. As she approaches the stranger, she uses her wing to dust him off, "It seems that where ever I go... Someone is having something falling on them - Snow is new, though... Maybe I am bad luck..." She stares blankly at the stallion, "Are you alright? Why would you headbutt a tree?" She cringes at the idea of running her head into a tree, well, it must not have hurt him too much if he isn't spinning around with stars flying around his head and a red mark forming atop of his head, "You could've just... Kicked it..." She turns to look down at the young filly beside her, eyeing him suspiciously once more, her dark magenta eyes nearly burning holes into his crimson ones, "You better be actually sick... Because now I have to miss Cloud Duty to take care of you..."

Boulder Dash popped his head up from the snow and looked around a bit embarrassed as he glared at the tree in annoyance.  Sighing he was about to pick himself up when he felt a wing dust some snow off of him.  Looking up he saw a young Pegasus dusting him off and asking him if he was ok.

"Oh I'm ok darling, nothing but a quick shot to the pride is all.  A little snow never hurt any pony" he said as he reached into his saddle bag and pulled out a thermos and opened it.  As he did the scent of chicory laced coffee entered the air and he took a deep sip to warm himself up.

As the coffee warmed up his body he looked up at the Pegasus before dusting off his farm hat.  "Oh I prefer to use my thick skull rather then my legs darling.  Just seems more natural to me and it is how I got my Cutie Mark" he said in reference to the three crashing boulders on his flank.  Placing the coffee back in his saddle bag, he adjusted his scarf and tipped his hat to the Pegasus.

"Name's Boulder Dash Ma'am.  Honored to make your acquaintance" he said with a quick bow.

The purple Pegasus standing before him quirked a brow at how he addressed her, it was unusual but she knew around Equestria people do often refer to others as 'Darling' or 'Honey' even if they're complete strangers, "Pride? Well, I suppose so... But you shouldn't be too worried about that, they're only fillies... They find anything and everything silly, if I were to sit down right now they would laugh." She turned to face the filly behind her, "And it's not polite to laugh at another person's misfortune, Mister I-Feel-Too-Sick-To-Be-At-School." 

Out of curiosity, Flower peeked at his cutie mark and gave a nod, "You're right, everyone does indeed gain their cutie mark in a variety of ways..." She flapped her wings slightly, this odd habit of hers, "It's an honor to meet you as well... I'm Flower Eyes, this is my brother Crimson Thread... Unfortunately, since he is SO SICK  he can't speak - But I guess he can laugh his heart out when he sees snow fall onto someone." She sent a glare to the filly who in return gave a nervous smile and rubbed the back of his head, she was obviously hinting that she didn't believe his acting.

Flower returned her attention to the stallion, "Are you sure you're alright? I know you said you use your head often but... Doesn't it hurt or give you a migraine?" Her dark magenta eyes scanned her head for any bruise or lump, but he seemed a-okay.

Boulder Dash removed his leather felt hat and scratched at his mane thinking for a moment and shook his head at the Pegasus before smiling a wide grin at her.  "Sorry Flower Eyes Ma'an, but I can't honestly say it's ever hurt before in my life.  I reckon I have felt more pain in my stubbed hoof then I have ever felt with my head" he said in his thick country twang.

Boulder Dash then got up and started to shovel some snow out of the way to form a walking path to and from the school.  Looking back at Flower Eyes and her little brother he smirked a bit and said, "You know my Ma always told me that a cure for the sniffles was a hard days work of labor."

"I suppose you won't be needing a hard hat... Ever... It's rather interesting you have never felt pain in your head." Flower tilted her head in thought, trying to think if she has met someone similar to this interesting stallion, although, no pony came to mind. Upon further thought, most ponies usually have rainbows and happiness for cutie marks, including Flower Eye's who is a simple little purple flower to match her color scheme, although, she can't judge since she herself gained her cutie mark through hardship - So... Maybe judging ponies based on their cutie mark is a dumb idea.

Flower Eyes looked down at her brother, "He's right... But unfortunately, he is growing up in an easier time period than I did, so he has it all easy - Spoiled little filly, aren't you?" She glared before shaking her head, "No matter, if I weren't raised the way I was - I don't know how I would be now, my cutie mark would be different, too... Just a whole chaotic mess."  She patted her brother's head, who in return pushed her hoof away, he was in that age where he was too "cool" and "old" to get hugs and kisses from his Mama, Papa, and Sister.

"Are you on shoveling duty? If you would like... I could offer my help after I fly my brother up to our home in Cloudsdale, I may not be as fast as a Wonderbolt, but I do hold satisfactory speed - It'll only be a few minutes and I feel a bit odd not doing work."

Boulder Dash looked at his list and though he prided himself on working on his own, he figured a little company could do him some good.  Years on the farm had seen him work with his parents and brother, but the depressive mood following his father's passing had seen him work alone.  Thanks however to his new Friendship with Twilight Sparkle however his sense of companionship and community had been restored allowing him to seek help when offered again.  

Nodding his head he smiled a big grin and said, "Certainly Ma'am I could always use the company on this cold day.  Warmth of hard work and some chatter could do us all some good."

At his reply, Flower gave a solid nod, her movements stiff and her posture always straight - She was almost like some sort of android, though, not in the creepy sense. With that, she nudges her brother, sending him a stern look, "I'll only be..." She lifts her brother's hoof, staring at his watch and quickly calculating the time, "Let's say... Five minutes max." Just like that, she lifted her brother and flew off into the sky, disappearing in the mounds and fluffs of clouds that make Cloudsdale.

It's astonishing to think that within the next four minutes, Flower Eyes returned as if she hadn't left in the first place. Of course, her short mane was somewhat disheveled from her flying speed and the heavy winds that are being produced this month, though, everything else was no different. She reached up and pampered her mane quickly, not wanting to look like a crazy monster even if that's what she looks like during the morning, "Apologies for the wait, I'm shocked I managed to make it back within the time I gave you..." She trotted over, flexing her wings out and then folding them on her back, stretching out her wing muscles to prevent them from growing sore the next day, "Now, is headbutting trees your only duty for today or did you come here for other business?"

Flower scanned the many snow-covered trees, watching as the snow dropped down in small balls, hitting the floor with a faint thud. It was a great safety hazard, especially since it's happening within the vicinity of the school, she doesn't have the muscle to headbutt nor kick - Although, she does have the muscle to fly. The pastel purple Pegasus flew up to one of the tree peering over the playground beside the school, circling the mounds of snow on the tree, "Boulder Dash, I find it hard to believe that you can simply run your head into things and not get hurt... It's quite worrisome!" She shouts from above, slowly flying back down to meet him for instructions on what role she would be taking.

Boulder Dash watched as Flower Eyes took off with her brother and he went back to shoveling a path for the Fillies.  It seemed only a matter of minutes before he heard a flapping noise and looked up as Flower Eyes returned causing him to blink a bit in shock.  "Well aren't ya faster then a dragon on a gem crave?" he said comically and tipping his felt hat.

Boulder Dash motioned to the path he had started and waited for her to come back down.  "Aside from clearing the tree tops I am also tasked with shoveling paths for the young fillies and the elderly.  Granny Smith can't do her business with this all about.  Here y'all continue the path and after I clear the tree tops we will pile it all together" he said handing her the shovel.

Boulder Dash then walked over and looked at three trees just across from him, focusing on them he smiled as he heard Flower Eyes call out again causing him to laugh out loud.  "My dear, I have been bashing this skull into rocks harder then an oak.  Case in point, watch this" he said with a wide grin.

Boulder Dash then focused on the center tree and began scrapping his hoof on the ground as he snorted steam from his nostrils.  He then let out a loud whistle, almost like a train whistle.  He charged the center tree and lowered his head before slamming into it full force.  A loud bang was heard as he backed up and smiled as the snow from the center tree fell from the vibration if the strike, then Boulder Dash glared at the left and right tree as the snow suddenly fell from the two of them, causing him to smile proudly.  He then walked back over to Flower Eyes dusting the snow off his shoulders looking completely unhurt.

Flower looked towards him, tilting her head in confusion, "Well, I suppose I am fast... But I'm no Wonderbolt - They're nearly as fast as light, outstanding." She gives a nod of approval and settles herself on the ground, letting out a sigh and peering about, it's quite strange snow is still falling hard even though Winter is closing doors and soon will be welcoming Spring, "The weather is out of control..."

The purple Pegasus wasn't an Earth Pony, so naturally, the sight of a shovel was a bit awkward for her due to the fact she's spent most of her laboring years high in the sky, flying left and right; kicking the vapor clusters we call clouds, "Granny Smith, the name sounds familiar... But I can't quite put my finger on it," She gives a shrug, "I suppose me staying close with a small group of three ponies doesn't do much justice..." By now, she begins to push the shovel deep into the high piles of snow obstructing everyday work of pulling barrels down dirt roads and across cobblestone paths.

"Hm?" She lets out a hum, turning slowly to face the stallion, her eyes widening as she realizes his plan - At first, she hesitated on watching, afraid something might go wrong... But his words earlier about this being something natural for him comforts her. Her dark magenta eyes follow him as he dashes forth and she winces, letting out a small squeal as she nearly trips at the sight of his heard head smashing into the tree. She is practically trembling in disturbance at the sight, "Sir, while that was absolutely extraordinary... I believe if I see that again, I might have a panic attack!"

Archived