A Strange Place [Novaburst; Invite Only]

dragonofruin

"The robe was something my uncle held onto as a family heirloom. His ancestors lived in the Crystal Empire, as did mine. He told me they purchased it, and repaired it. It's been a family heirloom ever since." said Shadow Scribe as he looked at Sombra for a moment.  "As to Twilight, we shall save her for last. You'll also need to convince Princess Cadenza as well, given she foalsat Twilight when she was younger..." said Shadow. Shadow wished that he had known Twilight when she was a filly, and from then on. Sadly, one could not rewrite time. Thus, Shadow had to make do with the friendship now, and work his way up to something more.  "And after that, you can convince Twilight. And we need to meet a Tailor, yes. But you'll need to make yourself appear more....normal for the time being. It's the only way you'll be able to walk about town without drawing attention as we go to the shop." 

Ancestors. The word caught his attention and Sombra stared at Shadow Scribe. "Your family ancestors.." he trailed off. "For how long was the Crystal Empire gone?" he asked, and after a pause, "How long was I gone after I was defeated a second time?" Maybe he was overthinking this and some, or a few, crystal ponies had escaped the empire during his reign. It was entirely possible some did, while the rest stayed loyal to their home no matter how bad a shape it was in.. Still, he had to know how many years. For both situations.

A disgruntled frown crossed his face, and his expression only darkened further. Sombra could only guess this Princess Cadenza was a fourth princess- specifically, the new crystal princess who had taken Amore's place. What little he'd seen of the princess in that brief clash was that she'd reminded him of Amore..

Grumbling, Sombra turned away, stepping back into the bathroom to pluck up the brush he'd discarded before. Normal. He could try normal. Given another chance to stand in front of the mirror and stare at himself, the king began to brush out his mane into a different style, letting it fall down the right side of his head and neck. Once he was finished, and the brush laid aside, he used dark magic to alter a few key points of his appearance. Basing it on the last memory had that he'd looked 'normal,' the small illusions he wove left him looking like a pony. Normal teeth, normal green eyes, and a spiral unicorn's horn.

Sombra wasn't entirely sure if he should bother changing his fur color, or his mane, at all. Turning to Shadow, an eyebrow rose questioningly. "How is this?" the stallion asked with a little shake of his head to settle his mane. "Handsome, I hope."

• 2 weeks later...

"You could almost pass as normal,"  said Shadow. "It will do. About a year for you, for your second defeat. Your first, about a thousand years."  sighed Shadow Scribe as he thought about it. "Rune has trained me quite a lot,  but in more offensive techniques, for myself. You look normal, meaning you could pass off as a foreigner, or a native without any problems. We'll just need to work on an alias for you, until you're more accepted, Sombra." admitted Shadow Scribe. "Now, all we need to do is bring you up to speed on the Modern Equestrian Language, teach you how to walk without appearing to be royal, brief you about the mannerisms of the locals, including their annoying tendency to panic..." admitted Shadow.  "You've got a lot you need to learn about the modern world. So tell me, Sombra. How would you deal with my uncle's home, given it stores all sorts of relics that we may need to preserve, somehow when you blow up the home itself to compel him to move - well anywhere else." 

Sombra's lips twitched. Passable. It wasn't as good as the praise he'd been hoping for. Passable. He quietly scoffed and ran a hoof through the new styling of his mane while Shadow continued to talk. His idle preening slowly stopped, his hoof freezing in midair. A thousand years. He'd been imprisoned in that void for a thousand years. That was an enormous chunk of time, his life, that he'd lost.

A year of slow recovery after the Crystal Heart had torn him apart wasn't so bad, but it was still a year. It was a good thing, aside from waking up weak, that he hadn't bothered with the Crystal Empire again. A year was a long enough time for the new crystal princess to strengthen her hold on her stolen kingdom. Another, low grumble escaped the stallion and he averted his eyes to the new, purple cape he wore. He idly flicked at the hem with a toe and adjusted it to make sure it was settled on him properly so that it, and he, looked good. As good as he could possibly look in the robe of crystal royalty. Sombra wasn't ignoring Shadow throughout his rambling thoughts- he was still very much listening to what he'd have to do before they could really get to anything else.

"Well, let's get started, shall we?" Sombra broke in, straightening up to meet Shadow's gaze again. An eyebrow quirked up at the question and the tall stallion made to step past Shadow, heading back into the main part of the unicorn's home so he could find somewhere comfortable to settle down on.

"If you wish to save these relics you mentioned.. I suppose we'd have to find a way to pack all of them easily and remove them from the home. The house itself I can destroy in a number of ways once your.. uncle.. is clear. I could use spells to make it all come crumbling down, open up a pit beneath it, or spear the house with many crystals from below. There'd be nothing left but wooden rubble," the tyrant mused aloud while he moved between rooms. "Or you can just set off a spell and destroy the entire thing in an explosion." A shrug followed this afterthought and Sombra flopped down on a sofa, curling his legs up against his body as he settled against the cushions. "At worst, we can always let the frost wolves menace your uncle a little to teach him a lesson about living in such a dangerous place as the Frozen North to encourage him to leave."

• 1 month later...

"Honestly, the only reason I'm saving the relics, is so my uncle's work of collecting, archiving, and crafting new relics was not entirely a lost cause," sighed Shadow, as he watched Sombra sit down on his favorite Ottoman. Choosing the one seater nearby, Shadow Scribe sat down on it. "We will need to evacuate all of the relics from there, any way because some of them could turn an explosion more dangerous," groaned Shadow as he thought about what a few of the relics could do if misused.  "However, before we try any of those plans, Sombra we're going to try something that I haven't been able to do, yet. I tried to convince Princess Twilight to convince him to move to her castle, help her look after her relics, which is in a safe space far from the Frozen North, and has no Frost Wolves around that could attack him. I'm going to need to figure out how to make the pitch again, but...." He blushed as he talked about Twilight, once more. "Make the offer irresistable, to her." 

After he sprawled out on the sofa, he caught Shadow's watchful eyes on him and a flicker of amusement seemed to cross the king's features and light up in his eyes. He must have picked what Shadow would've sat down in, and there was that chance the stallion was disappointed. It was a small thing for Sombra to get a kick out of, but he did nonetheless. A low rumble rolled up his throat again, part growl, and he bared the sharp tips of his teeth, although it wasn't an aggressive expression. The relics.

"I'm curious about these relics, and I'd like to have a chance to study them to see what makes them so important. What sort of spells, or curses, they must have," Sombra murmured. "What sort of interests does your Princess Twilight have? If it has anything to do with new knowledge, or such magical items as what your uncle has, then I think I know how to make the idea irresistible to her." Sombra inclined his head, a smug little smirk crossing his muzzle that bared a fang. "Certainly it shouldn't be difficult to charm her. Especially not for me." As soon as she got over her shock of seeing him in her castle.. or, he could always take advantage of that and keep her off balance so that he might prevent her from being able to think too hard about the entire situation. It shouldn't be too hard to get the mare to say yes to their plan to bring Shadow's uncle in, with his magical artifacts. The relics would be the selling point, of course, never mind the old stallion.

Sombra eyed that blush on Shadow's face, and he had to wonder how Shadow tried to approach Twilight, or did the colt just blush and stutter the entire time? The king chuckled softly- to think this pony who'd tried to act so tough in the face of the king of monsters would have some difficulty talking to a mare.

"I think we'll be able to pull this off quite well.. although, I just wonder if we'll have to make my meeting with the princess much sooner than you intended. She would likely be far more open than.. say, the royal sisters."

Archived