{ Gold Coast Silk Shop } [ OPEN ]

Bast

GOLD COAST SILK SHOP: NOW OPEN

A yawn escaped the sphinx as she stretched, today was the day she would be managing the shop alone, her mother is out on vacation and her step-brother wouldn't have done any work if he were to stay home. Bast let her claws go through her mane as she tried her best to tame it and look presentable. After she finished grooming and preening she trotted down the spiral stairs. Instead of going to the main room, Bast went to the back, where her extension of the shop was. Bast made pots, plates and sculptures and more. The kiln was on and buzzing, heating up pots she planned on displaying in about two days. It was nice to work in the back, ti was quiet, warm and it gave her an opportunity to unwind after working in the other half of the shop. Bast walked to a shelf and stood on her hind legs, grabbing two high-fire glazes and then plopping down to grab a few cubes of clay. After she placed them on the wheel she went back out front. It was time to officially open the shop. Bast flipped the sign and then began to write the riddle of the day on the small chalk board. 

RIDDLE OF THE DAY: What is the difference between a colt studying and a farmer watching his cattle? 

WHO EVER ANSWERS CORRECTLY GETS A FREE POT ! 

Bast smiled and adjusted the board and then walked back to her wheel. She would hear somepony come in, so she didn't have to worry about sitting at the front desk. " Now...lets work. " Bast sat down and began to play with the clay, the soft feeling of her paw pads and claw calmed her down. She began to pinch the sides, hoping to make a small pinch pot for the winner of today's riddle. Her tail swept the floor, sending dust flying in many directions. Her eyes never left the wheel, the clay was beginning to take a nice shape. 

The two unicorn twins were in Canterlot for super secret business. Well, it was only super secret business based off the fact of Patient confidentiality. It was not often that they both got called out simultaneously, or really got called out at all. Most clients came to them in Ponyville, but this one insisted in their presence in Canterlot. They could not deny the sum of payment and there weren't any other scheduled appointments. After leaving the client at the end of their session, they were wandering through Canterlot to see if there was anything else they could do while they were there. 

"Gold Coast Silk Shop. I don't think I've ever seen this before," Placidity said to her sister.

"I don't think we've been around here recently. Must be a new store. Or a moderately old store that we just didn't see the last time we were here," Tranquility responded, before looking further through the window. "It seems they sell more than just silk though."

Plas followed her sisters gaze through the window. Inside she saw some pottery of unique design. "How exotic. We should get some for the office. It will be good for the flowers," She said before noticing the small board. "'What is the difference between a colt studying and a farmer watching his cattle?' I mean, well, a lot of things, but the answer is obviously going to be too witty for us."

"No wait, I think I've got it," Tranq communicated to her sister as she processed the riddle. "No, that's stupid." 

"Ah well, I guess we're not getting it." Plas shrugged before entering the store. To any bystander it would have looked as if they were communicating telepathically. They wouldn't be wrong at all, as that was their most effective method of communication. When they entered the store, they did not notice any employee right away. They shrugged it off and began to browse the items, with Plas having more interest than her sister. 

Bast heard the noise in the front and looked down at her little pot, it was good enough to dry out. She placed it on a operate table and began to wash her paws. Her mother was very strict on washing her paws before she entered the silk shop, it happened more than once where a customer comes in complaining about dusty paw-prints. Once she finished that Bast decided to take a peek at who was looking around in her shop. It looked like twins, but only one was actually interested in buying something. Bast took a deep breath and walked out into the open, putting on her working smile. 

" Why hello there, welcome to my silk shop, where the silk you see is from Saddle Arabia. " Bast motioned to the back, " If you aren't looking for silk, then come to back where you'll see wonderful pots, plates and more. " Bast looked at the two and plopped right next to the desk. "I'm Bast, what can I do for you mares today?" That alone was exhausting, that and she also forgot to say something. 

" Oh and uh...have you seen today's riddle? Whoever gets it right will receive a pot! " 

Plas heard a new voice from near her and turned to face it. Standing there was a Sphinx. She saw that correctly, it was definitely a sphinx. A normal pony probably would have made a big deal out of it, but her calm outer personality prevented her from doing so. Instead, she turned to face the Sphinx and lit up her horn broadcasting her message inside the store. 

"This silk is from Saddle Arabia? that makes sense," She commented before seeing The Sphinx motion to the back. "Oh, I'm Placidity, I did see the pottery down the back, I just decided to methodically look at the items in order, but I guess I'll skip right down to the pottery." She said before turning to her sister. Tranq was no longer inside the store and was outside looking at the board again. 

"Tranq, I'm going to be in the back looking at the Saddle Arabian pottery, you're not going to run away are you?" She said changing her connection to her sister's thaumatic frequency. 

"This riddle seems preposterous on the outside, but I've heard that riddles are a popular art in Saddle Arabia so it might just be me," her sister replied studying over the board. 

"Tranquility seems to be working on the riddle," She said to the Sphinx who was located behind the desk now. "Do you recommend any pottery for office plants? " 

" Ah yes, I have a few vases back there.. " Bast was doing her best to actually keep up with the words, and the fact that the two were just staring at each other. " The glazes don't effect plants once their dried, but I suggest you use a pot that's a low fire glaze. Just to be safe. "Bast traveled to the back of the shop and pointed to a shelf on the left " All of these pots and vases were made with low fire glazes. Back at home most ponies would pick pots with the Dusty Rose glaze. " The sphinx stood up and grabbed one from to top shelf, it was a pale pink vase, " Or they would go with the Jade. " Bast grabbed a pot, smaller than the pink vase and looked at Placidity. " Or, if you'd like, I can make you one right now? " 

The kiln buzzed, making the room hotter all of a sudden. " Sorry- Excuse me for a moment.. " Bast put the objects down and went to open her back window, letting a cool breeze in. " That's better..." Bast climbed back down and looked at her customer, not really knowing what to say at this point. 

Plas followed Bast down to the back where the pottery was located. Following the Sphinx's directions, she located the recommended pottery. "Ah, well, unless you think the pottery here is not adequate enough, then you don't have to make me anything right now. But what would I know? I'm not a pottery expert, I think my opinion is only valid on aesthetic design in this situation," She replied looking through the pots. "Really, I'm not sure if I want a blending colour or a contrasting colour. I mean, I guess it would fit our theme if the colours were contrasting since we contrast each other. Hold on a moment." 

"Contrasting or blending? What do you think the colours should be?" She asked her sister. 

"One stocks his mind the other minds his stock, that kind of sounds right..." Her sister mentally muttered before realising the channel was open. "Oh, um contrasting I guess, I don't think I care as much as you do." 

Plas turned to see the Sphinx had left momentarily before returning. "My sister says she wants contrasting colours, so I guess Red would do, or blue, whatever contrasts the best with yellow. She also said something about Stocking minds and minding stocks, whatever that's referring to."

" Alright then, you'll want to go with indigo float then, it's a very beautiful blue. " Bast grabbed a small vase and showed it to her. " Oh, your sister has solved the riddle, so, the post for the riddle-winners are on the table to the left. She motioned to the table right next to the wheel. " You both also have the option for me to make a pot for you, if you don't see anything you like. I just have to let you know it would take a lest two weeks for the pots to made. " 

Now Bast was even more confused by how they were communicating, both of her brows were up, staring at one unicorn and craning her neck to see the front. " Um...if it's not to much to ask, how are you and your sister communicating. I find it quite fascinating. " 

"Indigo float, yes, yes I do see this contrasting well, thanks," Plas replied grabbing the vase in her magic. "She did, did she? I guess I was wrong. Anyway, I could never accept an entire pot just for a measly riddle, although I would never have gotten the answer myself. Hold on a moment." 

"Hey, seems you answered the riddle. 'One stocks his mind the other minds his stock,' I would never have gotten that," She told her sister who looked like she was on the verge of giving up.

"Wait, you heard that... never mind, That was the right answer? Wow, we need something to commemorate this moment. Like a free pot," Tranquility replied walking back into the shop with the same expression as before, but inside she was proud. She grabbed the vase out of her sister's field and held it next to her. "It seems Plas wants this one, it will do just fine."

Plas was unphased by the snatching of the vase by her sister. "Well, I guess you could just ignore my last statement, but to answer your question, we were never able to speak physically so we developed telepathy to communicate, I guess it's helpful we're unicorn twins. What you're hearing now is projected in a radius around us."

• 3 months later...

Archived