Jousting Tournament [closed]

starsteemer

Finally, the final tilt. Chesster blocked out the sounds, the smells, the rythms and vibrations. One by one, he shut them down until the crowd didn't matter, the heavy scent of salty popcorn and sickly sweet cider didnt matter, the thunderous applause and cheers and hoof-stomping faded from his mind as he came into sharp focus. The last tilt, and a matter of ego for two very prideful stallions facing off. Through the helmet, Chesster's amber eyes met the crimson slit-pupil gaze of his worthy opponent, and held a look that allowed no weakness, no holding back, no mercy. 

Chesster barely heard the announcer as he announced the start of the last tilt. He leaned forward instinctively, his body flooded with anticipation, his sharp gaze more focused than it had ever been. Any other pony might be afraid of the look of drive and cold, merciless determination. Of course, Sombra was no pony and for that reason, an excellent challenge. Dead stop to full sprint took mere seconds, everything happening so fast that the crowd would have no clue what exactly happened. Dust was kicked up, and though time passed quickly for the crowd and the judges, Chesster and Sombra co-existed in a singularity where their every move fueled by adrenaline was slowed. Fluidly, Chesster's lance was aimed, held straight and calm and tip pointed precisely at his target. 

In that moment they met that vital middle section, many things happened, not all of which were immediantly understood. Chesster felt the cool wind invade the trapped heat of his helmet, the metal removed and his scarlet mane tumbling down his neck in a flowing heap, held aloft by the wind that followed Sombra's heels. At the moment his helmet had been removed, Chesster's lance simultaneously met Sombra. Chesster angled his lance tilted up rather than straight in a risky move, risky because it could simply slide off the armor if there was not enough force behind it. But clever as he was, Chesster used a similar strategy as before, waiting for two out of four of Sombra's hooves to be off the ground before his strike. 
It was spectacular in how absolute it was. The upward angle and the strength behind it would lift the heavy stallion, the lance exploding into wooden shreds as it launched the dark stallion backwards, his own forward momentum resulting in a masterfully executed backflip. A finishing move that wouldn't soon be forgotten. 

Chesster was so wrapped up in his focus, that he barely noticed his helmet had been removed until he forced himself to slow down at the end of the yard, his hard stop kicking up more dust, wine-red mane tickling his face in such a way that had been impossible with the helmet. As his senses finally caught up with him, the former captain of the crystal empire's guard turned around, smiling despite the loss of his helmet, most likely terribly dented. Did Sombra do that? Chesster certainly didn't teach it, and if he learned that from watching his own jousts, Chesster was indeed extremely impressed. It was difficult to pull off, especially with how precise the aim must be and how absolutely one must be in control to avoid actually impaling his head. He wasn't sure if Sombra's lance snapped, but he was impressed and proud nontheless, and it showed on his previously impassive metal face, now alight with surprise and pride and a smirk that conceded this victory may have been won by Chesster, but the victory in growth of skill belonged solely to Sombra. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there were eyes for his to meet, Sombra would've held Chesster's gaze evenly- as it was, he had to settle for the faceplate and covered eyes of Chesster's helmet as they charged down the tilt yard again, his own hooves pounding the dirt. His eagerness to see this through so that he might declare victory and the anticipation of that possibility almost dragged the time, but when they met, time seemed to leap forward and Sombra found himself landing heavily. It'd happened so fast that all he could remember was a jerk, the land disappearing under his hooves and the world tilting alarmingly in flashes.

He became aware of the noise from the crowd again and he shifted with a soft grunt, rolling to his hooves and pushing himself up with some difficulty. His chest still ached and he was a little stunned, but movement was something he still managed. The glint of the bright sunlight off of the dull grey metal of a helmet caught his eye on the way to the end of the tilt-yard he was intended to go, before he'd been knocked off his hooves so effortlessly. It caused him to come to a stop and slowly look back the way he'd come, where Chesster now stood. The victor. A small, hard little ball of bitter disappointment squeezed his heart but he couldn't be terribly sullen about it, not when he could recognize Chesster as the more experienced jouster. It was reasonable; after all, he'd just started and had a little practice.

Seeing Chesster's face at last, too, was a little jarring after having nothing but a blank pony's helmet to look at, and there was something about the red of the stallion's mane that was -- familiar somehow. Ponies hardly ever had any red coloration, save for a rare few that he'd seen, and definitely not in crystal ponies. At least as far as he was capable of remembering. It was known to him that Chesster was a crystal pony, who seemed as annoyed as Sombra was with the empire's other denizens. He felt there was some importance behind that little flicker of familiarity, but it escaped him. Perhaps a glimpse or two of Chesster when they both still lived there.

Seeing the crystal pony standing there with such emotion on his face elicited a soft scoff from the king, who finally turned away and retreated to his own end of the tilt yard. He removed his lance, there, tossing it aside and facing Chesster across the way. As much as he wanted to simply leave immediately to get away from the noise and the scents that were slowly becoming sickening to his nose, to avoid the shame of losing to a crystal pony in front of the others who knew him for what he was, Sombra forced himself to stand his ground and see how the tournament would end. An announcement, and the prize money being handed out to the obvious victor, he would guess.

As Sombra turned away, Chesster remembered himself, and shook his head to dispel the likely stupid looking grin on his face. He reminded himself that without the helmet, he had to be more vigilant in maintaining an impassive expression. Calming himself, he relaxed his facial muscles until his face appeared just as cold and unfeeling as his helmet had been. The only noticeable difference being his visible amber eyes, his gaze sharp and intelligent. He checked himself for scrapes and dents, finding no more than he expected, and waited with his head held high as he awaited the announcement, trying his best to ignore the crowd's antics. 

As fully expected, Chesster was announced the winner, and told to meet the judges before he left the tournament by the boisterous announcer. Plans for next year's tournaments were announced, and finally the closing statement was released. As a show of chivalry and good sportship, Chesster gave a courteous bow to his opponent, and went to fetch his helmet, on Sombra's end. Chesster didn't feel like wearing it now that the jousting competition was complete, and so simply balanced it on his back, turning to Sombra with no more expression than his helmet held. 
"I believe i owe you a drink, and some answers." He stated simply, turning away and beginning the trek back to his tent, assuming Sombra would follow. Chesster didn't like to stay at these crowded tournaments for any longer than it took to win, and consequently would likely be packing up to head home, and not to the crystal empire. No point in telling Sombra this now , but Chesster did hope he could convince Sombra to go with, at least for a bit, understanding that the former king would not wish to be tied down but may appreciate a safe place to retreat to. 

King Sombra couldn't be fooled by the guarded expression settling onto Chesster's face like a mask. It was something he recognized in himself quite well. If he left himself open, he was vulnerable, and anypony with as sharp an eye as Chesster seemed to have would be able to read him too easily for his liking, and he couldn't have that. Sombra could appreciate what he'd managed to see in that grin moments ago; it showed him the crystal pony had more personality than he let on.

It was with an apathy that Sombra had to listen to the overenthusiastic announcer speak to the crowd, and he allowed the unknown stallion's voice drift through one ear and out the other without ever bothering to take in any of it. It was typical noise: dates, plans, and other such things that he didn't care about. Spying the bow, the shadow king merely bent his head Chesster's way; he wasn't about to bow to anypony. Not even for sportsmanship. He shifted on his hooves and used his magic to finally slip his helm off, allowing his long black mane to tumble free down his neck and onto his shoulders while he waited, and he didn't have to wait long for Chesster to address him. He grunted. "That you do."

Sombra turned and followed after Chesster, finding a lance rack to idly place his helm onto without any care for putting it back in the right location. The rest of the armor would come off soon, once he retrieved his cape from where he'd stored it and put it on in a place where there were no prying eyes; he still held some of that old self-consciousness about his bare flanks, and some small, coltish part of him that still remained somewhere down inside still desired to fit in. It was an impossible task, especially now.

The sabatons were left behind on the way too, idly discarded.

Chesster felt the nervous eyes of the crystal ponies following him and Sombra as they left the tilt-yard, and despite their denial and trauma, he could tell they didn't truly believe the little lie that Sombra being here was some sort of illusion. All the more reason to leave the tournament, before the crystal ponies got too bold. Chesster noticed they had followers out of the corner of his eyes, and subtley picked up the pace. He ducked inside his tent, and spoke to his two companions who had dutifully already packed almost everything up into a small wagon, merely the size of a large stallion. 
"Tournament is over, time we'll head out in about 15 minutes.  Cover the entrance, i think we're being followed." 

Chesster's orders spurred both Spearhead and Shieldbreaker to their hooves. They exited the tent, and stood guard per Chesster's orders. Chesster finally shed his armor, deciding he would take care of the scrapes and dings once home. once each armor piece was removed and carefully packed away, Chesster turned to Sombra, the slightest hint of amusement on his impassive face. "Civilians, always so nosy. I did not lie about my name, but it was not fully honest either. In the empire, i was more commonly known as Pierce, captain of the guard. We'd met a few times, but i mostly executed your orders, and enforced your laws. It is good to see you again, King Sombra. I've been looking for you. " 

Chesster found the entire situation to be a ridiculously coincidental delight, really. Ever since Sombra's second defeat, he'd been searching for the deposed king. And then, the king comes to him. Chesster had time to think about what he was going to say to the former king, but now had to remind himself to take it slow. He didn't think Sombra to be an easily startled rabbit, but didn't want to overwhelm him with too much at once either. Plenty of time between here and his manor to discuss, should Sombra agree to accompany him. The crystal pony followers didn't concern him too greatly, but it never hurt to be cautious. 

King Sombra didn't care so much about the attention that was on the pair of them as they left, although he did glance back at one point with his usual, faint scowl as if to catch one last glimpse of the fear on their faces for his own satisfaction, and noticed what Chesster had: they appeared to be following them. They were keeping their distance, but he didn't like their boldness. The umbrum snorted, the curved red of his horn briefly flickering with dark magic in a subtle threat. If they tried, they would not go unscathed. And he would have no trouble with hurting them.

The tall grey stallion slipped into the tent after Chesster, past his two lackeys who moved to guard the entrance to the tent, and came to a halt in the empty space. Taking advantage of being out of the public eye, Sombra pulled the rest of the armor off him with some relief. He was entirely bare now, but it beat wearing that armor for a moment longer. Sombra investigated the large bruise on his chest as Chesster spoke up, and his head snapped up in surprise. Captain of the guard? "I never knew anypony would've followed my orders so willingly, let alone want to come looking for me. It is usually considered a smart idea to stay away." Sombra replied, his dark brow furrowing. "Why? What reason did you have for any of it?" Pierce. He wasn't sure if he knew that name, if it had the same strangely vague familiarity as Chesster's coloration did. Hrm.

They likely wouldn't have long to stand here and discuss this particular matter, much less anything else. In the time they had, he tried to detract from some of his own confusion by focusing his magic on where he'd hid his cape, in some rental lockers set up by the faire for ponies who didn't want to lose any of their belongings. It wasn't terribly far away, and it was with an ease that Sombra summoned it, the cape appearing in a flash and swept onto his back within moments. He fastened it at his neck, frowning to himself and at Pierce. "I suppose another important question I want to ask is: what do you intend to do?"

Chesster nodded solemnly, as if he'd considered that Sombra would express that sentiment of disbelief that anypony would feel anything but rage towards him. "Respectfully my king, my reasons for following your orders are my own, and... difficult to explain. As for why i intended to find you, that's an easy one. Help you in any way i can to regain power." 
A bold statement, said so casually. A statement that Chesster would have a difficult time living up to, but it's not like he offered assistance blindly. While on the lookout for Sombra, he had made plans of course, to assist Sombra in regaining his throne. Naturally the learning curve for catching up to Equestrian society posed as much a challenge for the crystal pony as it did Sombra, but nothing a little hard work and research couldn't fix. As for Chesster's reasons, well... that was a complicated mess, and none of it was pretty. Bottom line was, he wanted to help Sombra, and that should be enough for him. 

As Chesster spoke, he finished putting the things away, and checked the ground for any lost pieces. Sombra's rental armor could be returned when Chesster went to accept the prize money, so he left it where it was, and wondered for the brief moment Sombra was without his cape, why he had no cutie mark. it couldn't be expected of chesster to know sombra's past, or know exactly what he was. Chesster had heard the rumors of course, that Sombra was no pony at all, but didn't know much more beyond that and furthermore, thought it to be propaganda. But ponies always discovered their cutiemarks, and for sombra to not have one... Still, if Chesster was surprised, he didn't show it. But it was a reminder of how little he truly knew about the king of monsters. 

"I understand not many ponies would be willing to help you, given your actions... I intend to offer you a safe place to rest, a manor i had commissioned in Whitetail Wood, shortly after the empire returned. " Chesster tactfully chose to not mention the part about Sombra getting his flank handed to him by the crystal heart. "It's where i'm headed now that the tournament is over, and i'd be honored if you'd accompany me. It can be as temporary as you'd like, but you can use the manor anytime you wish. You'll see the appeal in person." 

Sombra never liked not having all of the information, and Chesster's vague explanation of his reasoning left much to be desired. He wouldn't have the time to draw them out of Chesster, however.  Sombra was caught off guard by the stallion's expressed intent to help him regain power. Regain power? Why would he? The Crystal Empire had been nothing but a source of misery to him, and his rise to power wasn't quite his own decision. It was something that was already made for him before his first memory of anything, and by many of the reasons that'd come with that turning point in his life. There'd been no path left to him.. except tyranny. Sure, he acted on it and those years of stifled anger and building hatred, feelings that he still possessed, but he'd ultimately been -- miserable. He'd become the very thing of his own nightmares.

Sombra dragged himself out of those memories, using Pierce's voice as an anchor. Some anger was already flickering in his chest and it took him a moment to investigate why. It was mostly based off of suspicion and wariness, but nonetheless the anger was there. The tall stallion exhaled heavily through his nose, nostrils flaring, and his red eyes followed Pierce while the other stallion busied himself. He'd only vaguely noticed Chesster's eyes flitting towards his flanks moment ago, and he knew what sort of questions might come in time about their bareness.

"A manor? It sounds pleasant. I wouldn't mind joining you. Perhaps it would allow me a more permanent shelter than the places I've stayed in before," Sombra addressed first, his voice a little stiff in his reply as he sought a way to question Chesster. "Perhaps, I could get to learn more about you, too, while we travel there and share space." He idly took a step forward, his head tilted. "Like why you want to see something like me in power again."

Everything was ready and all that was left was to pack up the tent and head out, but Chesster decided he may as well answer Sombra while the privacy remained. The answer was a simple one, but as Chesster opened his mouth to respond, he found the words stuck in his throat. Why did he want sombra back in power? Chesster knew why. It wasn't because he held hatred towards anypony in particular, though he did generally dislike crowds and crystal pony crowds could be especially annoying. It wasn't because he wanted the empire destroyed, though he never knew that sombra's goal of unleashing the Umbrum would have done exactly that. Chesster lost his impassive expression that he fought to keep every second, his brows furrowing. It took a while to get the words out, and when they did Chesster immediently wished he hadn't said them. 
"I won't say why i liked your rule, but i did. Once the empire returned, and... you didn't..." Chesster hesitated, but he'd already come this far. "There was no excuse for how i acted. I knew i could not keep my role under the new rule, and... feared repercussions. I left with a hoof-full of my best guards. I want you to rule again because it's the only way i'll have any purpose again." 

Of course, the words sounded foolish outloud. Chesster wrinkled his muzzle, and smiled bitterly. "It sounds selfish to say out loud. But i figure if anypony could understand, it'd be you." Chesster purposefully had been as vague as possible, and tact was his strongsuit. It was better than bluntly saying he missed having power, and due to his actions nopony would trust him with it or worse, imprison him for crimes against ponykind, unless there was a change in leadership. He felt a prickle of annoyance at Sombra's insistence to know him. There wasn't anything worth knowing, nothing nice or pretty or crystal clear about it. 
Chesster drew in a deep breath, closing his eyes and letting himself slip into a placid expression once more. It was tiring to keep up, but showing weakness was worse, and he'd shown too much. No more questions for the time being. 

"I'm going to get the prize money, then my companions will pack up the tent and we'll be on our way." Chesster steadied his nerves, then with strained calm, strode out of the tent. Sombra could turn in the armor or they could leave it there, Chesster didn't care which. He almost wished he was a unicorn, how convenient it'd be to carry everything in telekinesis? But that didn't matter at the moment. Chesster mulled over his words, and with each run-by in his head they sounded dumber and dumber. In his own self reflections though, Chesster realized how Sombra had looked. He hadn't picked up on it in the moment, but now realized he hadn't looked entirely pleased with his suggestion. Could it be Sombra didn't want to rule again? Chesster hadn't considered that, and now had to face that possibility. 

His ears flattened back against his mane. The answer left him with mixed feelings, and it was his anger that was the more visible emotion in the lines of his body and a faint glow to his monstrous eyes. He was aware that Chesster had admitted it sounded selfish, and with that he could agree. It almost sounded as if Chesster wanted to bring him back into power for his own interests. To use him. The mere thought of being used again by another being, and a pony no less, left Sombra feeling sick to his stomach.

Although it was mostly what he was focused on, Sombra could begrudgingly understand that desire to rediscover a purpose again. Ever since he'd taken that last look at the Crystal Empire and trudged south, he'd felt lost. There was nothing else to his life if he couldn't fulfill the purpose he'd been given by the umbrum- specifically, the one within the crystal who he'd spoken with. They slipped him out of the prison through that sole window so that he would be their champion, so that he would open the door and free them. Unfortunately, it was something he never managed to do despite finally finding that door deep under the empire. Sombra hadn't had the courage to before the royal sisters finally came for him.

Locked in place by his dilemma, the king could only grunt as Chesster picked the moment to go and collect his winnings, and it would not be until after the pony had left the tent that Sombra let his rear legs crumple beneath him. Power. Sombra couldn't deny that some part of him still lusted for power, had found the feeling of it, of control, intoxicating. Yet, if he should ever return to a throne.. he would never allow anypony to use him again. It would be for his own reasons, and he would have a choice in the matter.

The shadow king exhaled heavily and looked to his hooves, trying to work through it and work himself back to some manner of calm. Once Chesster returned and he had the chance to, Sombra was going to have a talk with the crystal pony about this.

On his way to the Court of Honor (or more simply put, the judge's table) Chesster allowed himself to think. To be honest with himself, he didn't think it would be this hard. To any outside viewer it would seem Chesster's plans so far had gone smoothly, but chesster had to admit when he was out of his depth, despite how smoothly he handled it. He only ever saw Sombra when he was relaying orders, only ever spoke to him to report something, and even then only if it were of great importance. This experience, of talking with Sombra on a more or less equal playing field, wasn't an experience Chesster was very familiar with. He wondered if it was familiar with anypony. His thoughts drifted back to the idea that Sombra might not want to rule the crystal empire again. If that were the case, Chesster had no idea what to do. His purpose- strategy, tactics, outwitting opponents- it was all useless if Sombra didn't want to rule. His crimes would make sure that he'd never be a captain again under the princess's rule, and if they wouldn't have him and Sombra didn't need him, then what purpose would he serve? Jousting tournaments and chess competitions were great, but those weren't a career, a steady income, or something that utilized his skills. He wouldn't be happy working for the princesses either. They were all too soft and peaceful.
Chesster found his gaze lowered as he thought, worries deepening. Everything hinged on Sombra regaining power. With that taken out, where else would he go? What else would he do? If Chesster had any respect for Sombra at all, he'd need to accept that there was no force in the world that could make the choice for sombra. 

I guess i'll just need to start making backup plans, Chesster thought to himself determinedly. He wasn't a pony to give up in the face of obstacles, and though he hadn't utterly given up hope that Sombra may still yet learn for power, Chesster was grateful for the wakeup call, now he could prepare and think of other ideas. Admittedly, he didn't have any yet. But the point was, now he knew he should be looking at his other options. Taking another deep breath and exhaling, Chesster made the decision to switch tactics, as a true strategist would. He would do his best to keep his unflinching calm, and be as courteous and respectful to Sombra as he could. But other than that, Chesster decided he would not expect anything out of him. He'd offered help, and Sombra could make his own decision regarding that. Now that Chesster had sufficiently prepared for the possibilities, he felt confident and ready to face the deposed king again. 

After collecting the money, he returned to his area, and instructed his companions to take down the tent. He put away his winnings in his chest, not saying a word to Sombra as they did so. He wasn't ignoring Sombra, he simply thought it'd be better to talk once away from crystal ears. His intuition could sense the bravest, and most foolish, of the crystal ponies watching. He wondered if they'd follow them out of town, but that would be a death sentence. In no time at all, the tent was down and wagon hitched to Shieldbreaker, and at last they could leave the tournament. 
"We can talk more once we're away from so many listeners." Chesster stated, walking ahead of Shieldbreaker while Spearhead brought up the rear. Eventually the throng of noises faded away, and the dirt road became quiet. 

The time in which Chesster was gone allowed Sombra to stew in his thoughts and emotions, and idly brush over his sideburns with a foreknee to give himself something else to focus on: his appearance. The jousting tournament had left him a little ruffled, and although there was no brush on hoof that he could use to properly groom his mane with so that he might help himself achieve what was considered calm for him, he made do.

Something of his dark mood still lingered when Chesster finally returned and Sombra rose to his hooves, choosing to exit the tent before the crystal pony's lackeys began to dismantle it at his command. He was back out in the open sun again, exposed to any prying eyes, but he kept that awareness to the back of his mind as he regarded Chesster, trying to find some way to broach the conversation that he wanted to have with him. There was not yet an opportunity, made clear by Chesster himself, and that was something Sombra could respect for now. He didn't want to talk about a thing in the open, especially when it might end up being personal.

The shadow king merely grunted, biding his time and moving to fall into step in Chesster's small procession on the way out of town. The faces of some watchful crystal ponies passed by his periphery, and on occasion he chose to glance over at them and subtly wrinkle his snout in distaste. Despite how bold some of them were being, none of them had the courage to attempt any attack against him, proving to him that they were still cowards. It was both good and bad that none of them bothered: they would not have to deal with the trouble, and he wouldn't have anypony to properly lash out at to expel some of what he felt.

Sombra held onto his silence until they'd finally made their way out of town, further out onto the well-worn dirt road speckled with the many faint hoof prints of ponies who'd used this road before them.

"I want to talk," Sombra stated, moving up to Chesster's side and looking over at the stallion. "It's about our earlier conversation." He stepped ahead, attempting to get in front of Chesster so that he might talk to the stallion face to face; this didn't feel like a conversation that could be passed back and forth from the side. It wasn't like him to want to express anything so freely, but this was a special case. This was a pony who seemed to freely support him, but it wasn't like the mare, Raven, who he'd met in Canterlot. It was a pony who'd supported his rule and his cruelty.

"Let me make one thing clear: I will not be used, not by you, not by any pony. I will accept your support, but I am not your means to an end. I will never go back to the empire, not even for power. I've learned my lesson there after what's happened, and I won't put up with it any more. Now, I know quite well what a loss of purpose feels like, and should I find something for myself again, it will be mine and not because I was put there. Follow me to it, if you wish, but do not seek to control me." He'd leaned his head forward, coming close to getting into Chesster's face, but he was restraining himself from posturing at the stallion too much to express his seriousness.

• 2 weeks later...

Chesster was expecting this talk, and though he did dread it, he had accepted it as an inevitability. Though Sombra's tone did give him pause, as he never really expected sombra to be so forward with his feelings unless it was to unleash his anger. However, it took Chesster mere moments to pick up on he fact that this was anger, albeit subdued and focused. 
He stopped before him, even if he'd have prefered to keep walking. He gestured for his two companions to continue on without him, he felt this conversation would be best held between him and Sombra alone. 

His expression was a mask of perfect calm as he listened to Sombra's piece, and it confirmed his worst fears. Sombra had no desire to rule. Chesster held his ground against the former king, his gaze even, and resigned. He spoke in measured, even tones, careful not to escalate Sombra's anger. 
"Truthfully, that is... well, disapointing." He inhaled slowly, gathering his thoughts as calmly as he could. "But, i respect your decision. I would not presume to hold any sort of power over you, i do not wish to force your hoof even if i held the power to do so." 

Chesster wished they'd been walking, as pacing helped him gather his thoughts. As it was, he simply tapped his chin with his hoof to help him think. "I would not have viewed it as using you, rather a mutually beneficial partnership. But it is made clear to me you hold no such mutual goals, and so i will respect that." It seemed to Chesster that Sombra's freedom was a point of importance with the stallion, and Chesster wondered just what it was that drove him to such extremes. In truth, he had never thought to be using Sombra. Rather, he had estimated the opposite, with how much of a tyrant Sombra had been, Chesster had resigned himself to the idea that he himself might be used to gain power, and then disposed of. It was almost surprising to him that sombra seemed to think the opposite. 
"If you ever change your mind, well... you already know my stance on the matter." 

Chesster inhaled again, his brows furrowing slightly. His next words felt hard to say, but... correct. "Maybe my... preconceived notions of you were as false and ignorant as the other crystal ponies. I'd be honored if i could learn what you are truly like, instead of the exaggerated and brutal picture painted of you, by myself and by victims."
Chesster wasn't totally prepared to give up his ideas, but Sombra would not help in his endeavors and he was on his way to accepting that. The least Chesster could do was fix his own ignorant perceptions of Sombra himself first. 

The king shook out his long mane and took a step forward, growling softly. "And never would you have the power to force me," he proclaimed, his deep voice like a low rumble of thunder; stern and brooking no argument. Though Chesster was offering none. Sombra straightened up, lifting his head in that usual, proud posture of his despite a loss of his crown. Chesster's lackeys passing both of them by while they held this conversation hardly earned his attention, though he marked their passing in his periphery.

"Surely, if you wanted a mutually beneficial partnership, you should have brought it up, rather than what you expressed you intended to do. I am always content to make deals with ponies  more so than discovering their secret plots. If you are truly loyal to me.." he trailed off, inclining his head. He'd made his point, acknowledging the respect Chesster was giving him now. "I will be sure to speak with you, when I do. Should ever anything come along that would give me enough reason, then.. I'm sure whatever partnership we make will be a fitting one for that purpose. Until then, I simply want to live."

Falling silent, Sombra observed the shift in Chesster's expression with some curiosity, from the furrow of the pony's brow to the set of his lips. Whatever Chesster was steeling himself to say was something that was going to be difficult for him. What Sombra heard didn't surprise him. "Indeed they were wrong," he agreed with a soft snort.

"I wouldn't say that I'm any less brutal than they believe me to be. If given a reason, I will not hesitate to do what I need to. Regardless.. I believe we have all the time in the world to get to know one another better. I may be as.. open as I feel is necessary, and whatever information I decide to withhold is more for my benefit than yours, as well as a few, good reasons." Sombra finally turned away then, his stance relaxing back to a more casual one as he started after the two crystal lackeys Chesster traveled with. The confrontation went better than he expected it to, and he saw no more reason to face Chesster down.

"So, what questions do you have? I certainly have one for you. Is it.. Chesster you wish for your name, or Pierce?"

Chesster met Sombra's pace as he started after his two companions, and if he held any disagreements, he didn't speak of them. In fact, something about the conversation rubbed Chesster the wrong way, and he couldn't really pinpoint what it was. All in all, it'd gone well. He acknowledged Sombra's freedom to do as he wished, and kept his options open. Then why was Chesster unsatisfied? It was something he'd need to dedicate some more thinking to, and though he rolled the words in his head like foam from an unsettled sea, the thoughts drifted below the surface before he could grab them. He would need to leave them alone for now, mulling over things always made them more clear. 

His ears angled towards Sombra as he heard him speak once more, asking a question he hadn't really thought of. Chesster was more used to being called Pierce, since the crystal empire had only recently came back. It was certainly a more fierce name, like the pierce of a sword. Chesster was... well, Chesster. But the more he thought about it, the more he realized that may not be such a bad thing. It could potentially be a while before he could reclaim his former title, or perhaps never. Using the second part of his name would only increase his ache for the past, when things were simple. 
"What i wish cannot be. So for now, Chesster will be my title until i earn my previous one." 
Though it would have been easier in Chesster's mind to regain that title through working with Sombra, that path was obscured to him, but he could always find somebody else in lands less fair than Equestria where his skills could be valued. It was all a big maybe and though Chesster liked risks, he did prefer to deal in absolutes. It couldn't be helped however, and now he had the opportunity to ask his own questions. 

"My question for you is one crystal ponies have wondered for years. What, truly, are you? Your appearance and abilities are rather ... unique." 

The king made a soft sound in his throat, acknowledging the answer. If Chesster wished to be called by the name he'd initially introduced to him, then Sombra would call him by it. Although it still brought up another question, one he chose to store away for now. Sombra turned his head to look over at Chesster with a broad smirk spreading across his muzzle. So was that the question they'd been asking? It baffled him that they hadn't managed to figure it out.. but perhaps only the older generation even knew or remembered, or crystal ponies were just blind in their entirety.

"An umbrum," Sombra answered with confidence, if not arrogance. "I'm not sure if you remember anything of the Crystal Empire's earliest history, if you can call it that. The few times I've heard it told sounded like a foal's tale, but I can tell you their, our, existence is not a legend nor fiction, no matter how much the crystal ponies might embellish it. They also call us 'shadow ponies,' a name that might be.. self explanatory. Although.." he trailed off, thinking over something that'd been in the back of his mind for quite some time. Centuries, even. "I'm not sure if I'll look exactly like them, or they like me. I've never seen another umbrum, I've only ever spoken to one.The only reason I'm not imprisoned with the rest of them is because they forced me into this.. pony form in order to ensure my escape, so that somepony could set them free."

His tone became a little more subdued as he dropped his brief, flashy arrogance. It'd been an uncertain decision on his part to reveal his true purpose, but he'd figured it was a risk he was willing to take. Even with as sharp a mind as Chesster's.. what could the crystal pony really do with that information, beyond making a few assumptions and perhaps a few correct guesses?

"I can guess that I existed in the prison with them as whatever might be counted as a 'foal' for umbrum, but I don't remember anything from that time. All I knew was my name. That's it. In hindsight, I'm not exactly sure how they expected me to accomplish what they wanted of me. I suppose it doesn't matter anymore. I can do what I wish with my life now, and make something for myself, rather than what is wanted of me."

Chesster blinked several times, and though he tried to hold a blank gaze the fascination was evident in his amber eyes, the gears turning even as the words left Sombra's mouth. Another species, imprisoned, thrusting their own into the world with vague instructions to free them, dropping the weight of an entire race on one young stallion's shoulders. The details may be different, but Chesster realized it amounted to little more than somepony's family trying to force their child towards a path they weren't sure about taking. He knew what that felt like. Well, on a much less drastic scale anyways. But many, many more questions flooded his mind. 
Why were the Umbrum imprisoned? Did Sombra really take over an empire and enslave its populace to free his own species? Because Chesster didn't know what to make of that. A more potentially disturbing question rose to the surface of his mind, however. 
"Do you think that when they find out you've failed them, they'll send another in your stead? If they can apparently sneak their own outside of this supposed prison, why can't they do it again?"

Chesster made a mental note to research everything about the Umbrum he could, as it truly seemed like a fascinating concept. He wondered if the crystal ponies from earlier were still following them, and sureptitiously glanced over his shoulder. The road behind them was empty. But he didn't exactly trust that. 

King Sombra came to so sudden a halt it was as though the questions Chesster had posed to him formed an invisible wall to stop him in his tracks. They were something he'd never even considered before, either because some small part of his mind didn't want to or.. he'd just never considered that was possible. Would they slip another umbrum out of the prison the same way they'd done him once they figured out he'd failed his task? Had they done it already?

His brow had furrowed as he was caught in that little net of questions and mixed feelings. It'd be nice to run into another umbrum to truly see what they were like, but at the same time.. it left him dreading such a meeting. They could hate him; his own species could shun him, too, all because he'd failed and finally refused to follow through with being used.

"I -- don't know," Sombra answered at last, his voice quiet. "It's.. certainly something to look into, whenever that chance arises." He looked over at Chesster, gauging the crystal pony's expression, or lack thereof, with a curious eye.

"So, I have some questions of my own, though I'm sure you still have plenty." Attempting to gather himself again, Sombra moved his hooves and continued walking down the empty dirt road. He caught Chesster's glance behind them and thought to do the same, only to find nothing. If there was anything the other stallion had to be concerned about, he felt it'd be safe to have a little wariness of his own- but it wasn't as if he felt any mortal pony could be enough of a threat to him. "Why do you consider the name Pierce to be something you need to 'earn' again? And furthermore.. what is this home of yours like?" It might be nice to find somewhere more permanent to live in, somewhere secluded.

Chesster regarded Sombra's reaction with interest, not entirely expecting the question to make such an impact, but noting how conflicted it seemed to make him feel. He did not even bother to hide his interested expression when sombra's gaze met his once more. Upon Sombra's own line of questioning, Chesster nodded briskly and once again kept pace. The question was a tough one, and any way Chesster tried to think about it, there was simply no nice answer. He chose to be intentionally vague, as he wasn't entirely willing to dovulge the rawest feelings on the matter. 
"It's the name i used when i was somepony important. Simply put, i am no longer important nor influential in any worthwhile manner." Chesster was all too happy to talk about the place they were headed instead, and dove into that. 
"Well, i saved up a bit during your rule and after the Empire returned, i assumed i'd no longer be entirely welcome. So i had commissioned the building of a decent manor in Whitetail Wood. Other than the occasional hiker, the woods is secluded and peaceful, far from prying eyes, and not too far from towns to make supply runs or information gathering too difficult. Including Shieldbreaker and Spearhead, there are 3 former guards, along with 2 service mares." 

Chesster realized the idea of servants knowing of Sombra's existence might be distressing, so he added on to his explanation. "I hoof-picked them however, and there is a non-disclosure agreement in their contracts. That said, both mares are equestrian and friendly. There's the maid Featherbun, and the chef Carrot Cooke."

The answer drew a raised eyebrow. No longer important? He felt that Chesster was looking at it all wrong. Sombra could argue that even though he'd lost his crown, his throne, he hadn't lost importance. In fact, he felt he was damn important, if only through his own ego. No pony could take the confidence he'd found away from him; he was never going back to the way things were when he'd been younger.

King Sombra grunted quietly, mulling over what he could say to it, allowing Chesster to continue to speak. A manor. Both eyebrows rose this time and the stallion eyed the crystal pony. "I suppose that taking as much money as you can would explain how you managed to have such a large house built," he commented, almost quipped, as if he was implying something like theft. Not that it mattered. Sombra didn't care if Chesster stole from the crystal ponies, the castle.. wherever. "Is that all who lives in your manor?" Sombra continued on to ask, making a note of who he was told about. "Equestrians are fine. I can tolerate them a little more than the crystal ponies." He snorted softly.

Sombra could guess that the third 'former guard' must be Chesster himself, but it wouldn't do him any good to assume. "Is the third yourself?" he ventured to ask. There was already another question bubbling up his throat, but he clamped down on it so that he wasn't peppering this pony with questions before Chesster could even get a chance to answer. One thing was for certain: Sombra was terribly curious and he couldn't help wanting to know. And now that he had some information, he was looking forward to seeing Chesster's manor.

• 2 weeks later...

Chesster shrugged in response to Sombra's insinuation that he stole.Though Chesster would not admit it in such blunt terms, it was indeed correct. The money he'd accumulated wasn't through honest means. 
"That is indeed everyone. I don't feel a need to surround myself with others, and those who do live with me are very tolerable." Chesster chose not to comment on the remark that Sombra preferred Equestrians over Crystal Ponies. He supposed he could understand the reasoning, and Chesster himself wasn't fond of other crystal ponies, but that didn't mean he seperated himself completely from them and Sombra's consistent disgust towards them left an uncomfortable taste in Chesster's mouth. 

"The third would be Frontline, I always leave at least one former guard at my home to keep out curious equestrians. Now i have another question for you, feel free to not answer if it's too loaded. Why did you do it?" 
Of course based on Sombra's response about Umbrum, Chesster could put together the pieces and assume Sombra took control of the Empire in order to free his species. But some things did not make sense.
"Why did you shatter the princess? Were there not other means to achieve your goal? What was the plan afterwards?" 

Great, now Chesster was the one peppering Sombra with questions. But it simply felt best to unload them in one go, allow Sombra to get them out of the way quickly or ignore them alltogether. 

King Sombra merely twitched his head down in a nod while his eyes swept their surroundings idly, taking it in on their little walk. He was still very much paying attention to what Chesster was saying, despite how often his body language might indicate that he wasn't. If he'd known what Chesster was thinking, or if the crystal pony had even said it aloud, he might have amended his comment with how he ultimately didn't like any ponies. They were all obnoxious to him; dim-witted, short sighted, blind to the truth of things.. and too invested in their 'love, light, and friendship' nonsense. Too focused on their foals' tales to see reality as it was.

At least, that was his opinion, and one that was based on his experiences in life.

As it was, all Sombra could ponder was the ponies Chesster listed for him, which was thankfully just the right small amount of ponies he'd be interacting with while he stayed with the crystal pony. These wandering, curious thoughts soon came to an end when the questions were voiced and he glanced towards Chesster, his usual, resting bitch-face disrupted with more open surprise before he hid it away. Of course, nopony really knew the whole story except for him.. and perhaps Hope, wherever she was, if she was even still alive.

"I broke her because she withheld something of importance to me. About myself, about what I was, and why I was wracked with such pain every Crystal Faire. She could've helped me, could've told me so that I'd know why I was so different from everypony else, why the pain.. but she didn't. She left me to suffer, and so she paid the price." Sombra's voice held a note of a growl. If there was any creature he hated most, it was Amore. All for that. "I didn't exactly think, at the time. I'm sure you can imagine I was consumed in rage. My only plan afterwards was what you know. I took her place on the throne, and took the empire for my own.. I was going to try to find the umbrums' prison, which I knew to be deep beneath the empire. Why did you think I made the crystal ponies dig? After that.. I'm not sure. I'd assume they would've ravaged the empire as they did before they were imprisoned, or we would've taken over Equestria as a whole." The king spoke honestly enough, daring to take that one little step forward to see if he'd be able to trust Chesster, or not.

Chesster tilted his head to the side slightly, as if that would help him to mull over Sombra's explanation. He was subtley a little pleased that his blunt line of questioning had caught the former ruler by surprise, but now Chesster had been given some new information to think about. It felt like it would be annoying to ask, but Chesster kept coming back to the why of things. If the Umbrum would have ravaged Equestria, why release them? Did Sombra have a wish to see Equestria destroyed, or simply not care in his blind goal to release his own? And if they had decided to take over Equestria, then why
It was a truly fascinating question, and Chesster had spent many evenings reading over the histories surrounding the villains and tyrants of ages long past, and the answer to why they did it. What seemed to puzzle Chesster most was, where do you go once you're at the top? After Equestria, what next? Griffonstone? The world? Why stop, why be satisfied, if the goal if power then why stop until you have it all, and once you have it all what then? 

Ah, but perhaps he was reading into it too much. After what seemed like an awkwardly long silence, Chesster finally addressed Sombra's very satisfactory answer to his questions. "I'm curious as to what would have happened, had that come to pass. I suppose logically with a resurgence of completely loyal ponies of your own species to aid you, the guard and thus myself would've become obsolete. And yet, i've read much of wars and kings and dark plans to seize power, and all have failed. I can't help but wish that, just once, somepony would succeed. If not for my sake, then for the advancement of psychology of the effects of such absolute control, how an all-powerful government might function. It's not an ideal scenario for the overwhelming majority, but isn't it fun to imagine what possibilities could come from a world that is the polar opposite of the one we stand in today?" 

Chesster seemed to realize he had been ranting for longer than intended, he normally wasn't so open with his insights, but Sombra had been very gracious in being open about himself so Chesster supposed they were even in that regard. He allowed Sombra the time to give his thoughts a response, though it seemed somepony was listening in. Due to them walking and talking, Chesster's two companions had gone out of earshot with their somewhat faster pace. Chesster's inkling suspicion of being followed was confirmed when a stallion, a crystal pony stallion stepped out in front of them on the dirt road. Bold as can be, he was waiting for Chesster and Sombra to reach him, and hesster could tell from his expression, he was itching to pick a fight. 

Sombra was left with the same questions, unbeknownst as he was that Chesster was thinking along the same lines. If he'd taken over the Crystal Empire successfully, and freed the umbrum, what then? What would he really do with Equestria beyond using its resources? Spoil himself with a comfortable life of opulence and power and enjoy the suffering of those under his rule? Brainwash ponies into believing that he was a god? Well it.. didn't sound half bad, but the question remained was: where would it end? What would've been his ultimate goal? His real wants and desires?

Would the umbrum have only used him as a puppet? A figurehead?

They weren't pleasant thoughts, and it left Sombra just as uncertain about his future as he ever was. Red eyes landed upon Chesster again, the silence broken once again by the other stallion's voice wondering about the results of a successful takeover, of an all-powerful government. It brought up interesting questions that saved Sombra from worrying over the point of his existence and his lack of a goal to reach for now. It did, however, remind him that he'd failed too. "You might have suffered the same as the rest," Sombra put in thoughtfully, his voice somewhat quiet. Even if he'd known of Chesster and his supposed loyalty, the umbrum might not have listened to him if he pointed out 'favorites' to spare.

"I imagine it'd be less ridiculous, to start with," he mused, looking ahead again up the dirt road they trod upon. Chesster's guards were further ahead than he'd realized, and -- Sombra's pace slowed to a halt and he lifted his head in a proud posture that'd no doubt be familiar to the crystal pony who'd chosen to block their path. The king idly surveyed the sides of the road to see if there might be more lurking before his sharp red gaze settled on the pony. "What do you want?" Sombra queried, head cocked; his expression had become closed off again, an annoyed scowl. What did this pony hope to gain? He was outmatched.

Chesster couldn't help but chuckle at Sombra's musing, as he was in full agreement. However when the stallion stepped out to block their path, Chesster was no longer in a joking mood. He didn't take well to being followed, and imagined Sombra might feel similarly. Chesster said nothing and stopped alongside Sombra. Scanning the sides of the road as well revealed that there were indeed a couple others, who no doubt thought they were being sneaky. 

The crystal pony stallion was a bold one, to be sure. While not as big as Sombra, he had the barrel-chested look of a work horse. He stood his ground, but it seemed like it was partially out of being frozen with fear rather than pure courage. The stallion spoke up, his voice accusatory. "You're not an illusion. We knew you weren't. You're the real Ki-" The crystal pony stopped himself from saying 'king'. This wasn't the empire, and Sombra was no longer king to him or anypony else, so he thought. 
"Did you really think you could just walk away? Do the things you did and walk around free? You deserve nothing less than another thousand years on ice!" He stamped his hoof on the hard dirt road for emphasis, he had come too far to back down now. 
The others came out from the sides of the road to stand beside the stallion, 5 in total counting him. Continuing on with his accusations, the ringleader pointed a hoof at Sombra. "We were too afraid to stand up to you before, but you're no king anymore. We can't be silenced anymore."

It wasn't clear to Chesster where exactly they were going with this, but he had a feeling this could go a number of ways. Either the group decided to attack Sombra, or they wished to list their grievances and tattle to a princess. Both unwise, but they were right about one thing. This wasn't the empire, Sombra wasn't an official king and Chesster didn't have official authority. Their options were limited, no matter what. 

Archived