First Harvest (Open)

Dashman562

The spring time sun shined beautifully onto the Ponyville market.  Ponies of all types where in the market selling their wares as crowds of ponies gathered in the market square to make their purchases for the day and such a good day for merchants and buyers it was.  Near the center of the market, a single stand stood alone with bushels around it that we're empty.

However that all ended as Boulder Dash made his way into the market carrying a wagon hitched to his large frame.  Dressed in his signature farmers hat, the muscled stallion caught more then a few blushing stares from the Mare population as he set up the family stall and prepped his work.  He started by loading bushels if large, ripe, red beef tomatoes into the empty bushels, some of the tomatoes looked big enough for a single salad.

From there he set up vines of grape tomatoes, hanging them in and around the stall, giving it some color and attraction.  After that was ready, he set up jars of the Boulder family's famous tomato sauce which was just as legendary as Zap Apple Jam.  Coming in a variety of flavors from regular to chunky, basil, garlic, three cheese blend, vodka penne, and even spicy; Boulder Dash's Grandpa's bearded smiling face graced each jar and was known to attract many a customer.

Lastly Boulder Dash set up large cans of Boulder Tomato Juice.  While not as strong as Apple Cider it was still a refreshing and healthy drink in the late spring, early summer heat and ponies everywhere found it a good afternoon beverage.  Cracking open a can to get the scent in the air, he smiled as he adjusted the sign on the stall and looked up into the sky.

"Alright Pa, first harvest is ready.  Let's see if I got some of that salesmanship yous we're known fer" he silently said in prayer before clearing his voice and then speaking loudly.

"Mares and Gentlecolts!  It is my proud honor to announce the first harvest of Boulder Ranch tomaters.  Come and sample are large beef tomaters with enough bite to fill ya up in a serving.  Our grape Vines can provide enough produce to last ya a week.  Or try our famous sauces, each recipe passed down from Grandpa Boulder himself.  Finally we got our famous juice ready to go, served straight up or over ice, ya'll won't fine anything fresher on a hot day.  Step on up and take yer pick" he announced as he saw ponies approach the stall.

((Writing this during the short fifteen minute break i have))

Loose was browsing the markets in the morning looking out for something interesting, but to her disappointment, it was still the same. The most interesting days to her were when a new seller came around and announced their new products but it didn't seem that there were...

Wait, hold on, she was thinking too soon. Right as she said that, a stallion came by loaded with a bunch of new products that she had not had in a long time. Tomatoes. Being from Appleloosa, she mostly only had apples there, even when moving to Ponyville, the apples seemed to still dominate as she received samples shipped from her mother. Sure she had other things too, but it got dilluted out to the point where she wondered if her mother ever researched much on any other substance. 

"Boulder ranch tomatoes you say? Why that's quite the split from the normal fruits and vegetables that are around here. What do you recommend to such a healthy mare as myself?" She said as she approached the stall. "No that I'm negating any confectionary products you may have or sorts of the stuff." 

Smiling as his first customer approached, Boulder tipped his hat to her and spoke in his thick country drawl as he continued his sales pitch. 

"Ma'am the best thing about tomaters is they is one of the healthiest foods you can chaw on" he explained.

Grabbing one of the tomatoes and holding it out Boulder Dash motioned to the rock sized fruit, he proudly spoke of it like one would a child.  "At Boulder Ranch, we don't use fertilizer, preservatives, or chemicals.  No Ma'am, we use nothing but the best soil and a natural spring water supply with a might smidge of TLC to grow these little beasts that have made my family's produce legendary."

He then motioned to the jars of tomato sauce and opened up a can of basil offering it to her to taste and smell.  "My family's various tomater sauce are all based on my Grandpappy's recipes.  You can use it on anything from noodles, to soup, or even a garnish" he said.

Finally he grabbed on open can of juice and poured it into sample cups and offered the customer one.  "This tomater juice is one of the healthiest things you can drink.  Straight, on ice, or mixed it will refresh ya on the hottest days or coolest nights" Boulder said holding up the can.

"This is my first harvest Ma'am and I can assure it is one of our best.  So take a sample and I hope you will find it to yet liking" Boulder said with his a big grin.

The stallion's accent was very heavy, it amused her. Perhaps she would use her own accent to make the situation more interesting. Maybe not this time. "They would have to be healthy otherwise they're not really valid as a produce. I'm not really concerned at all about chemicals," She explained to the farmer. "My mother's an Agricultural scientist, does work for a lot of different farms. Really I don't believe any of the negative rumours at all, but honestly if you can produce such quality with just the magic of your hard work than maybe I should really consider your produce." 

"I'm not really much of a cook myeslf, so I may have to pass on the sauce but I'm sure you can distribute it to some others here," She said after tasting the sauce. "I think some ponies would love to have this in their meals. Have you considered distributing to Canterlot?" 

The stallion offered her the sample of his juice and she tried it out for herself. It was quite a weird feeling trying something not necessarily new, but... returning. "I'll take your word for it being one of your best, but the sample size is pretty small if you're saying it's your first harvest. Just want to point out that not all ponies are accepting as myself."

"I don't have any bits on me right now to purchase anything at the moment, but maybe you could set some products aside for me?" 

• 2 weeks later...

OOC:  Sorry about the late response.  Me and the Missus we're down in N. Carolina on vacation.

IC: Boulder Dash gulped a bit hoping he hadn't offended the Mare.  He smiled his big grin and said, "Well Ma'am I guess in the end we Country folk just find family secrets and traditions to be the best we can use."

He motioned to the produce on the stand and said, "Well Ma'am we have a very large selection and I'm sure u can find plenty to set aside for ya.  If you do see anything in particular you like you hollar and let me know."  He then tipped his hat to her and grinned a bit.

"Apologies Ma'am as I never did introduce myself.  Name is Boulder Dash" he said proudly in his country drawl.

Archived