Visiting Ponyville [Invite]

dragonofruin

It was always a rare chance to spread her wings, and escape the chains of her lofty position. The pristine Canterlot castle was steadily shrinking behind her, and overhead, the sky was slowly developing an orange tint to the blue as the sun slowly began its descent towards the horizon. Being awake before the sunset was the earliest time she'd risen thus far, and although she enjoyed her sleep, a period in which she could peacefully rest, her restlessness had been growing lately. It'd been far too long since she'd gotten out of the castle, and not for an event that required the presence of a princess to oversee it.

It was about time that she tried to pursue something that she missed: the freedom she once had those thousand years ago before her fall. When she could freely explore the Everfree Forest with Melvin, and spend what time she could wrangle out of her sister.. before she'd begun to get shrugged off more and more in favor of ponies.

Her blue wings were spread wide, beating every so often to keep her aloft as she flew towards a location that was semi-familiar to her. It wasn't terribly far from Canterlot, thankfully, but even still she needed the exercise. Being cooped up in a castle most of the time didn't often give her the chance or the reason to fly, and flying was one of her favorite things to do. It was.. freeing. All of her worries and stress were simply swept away.

Princess Luna wasn't sure what she would do once she reached Ponyville, or if she would simply fly past it in favor of the Everfree Forest. Hopefully, around this time, there wouldn't be as many ponies on the streets with the onset of the setting sun; she didn't want to make a scene by suddenly dropping in. Even now, Luna knew how much the ponies favored the princesses for the crowns they wore and the protection they offered, almost to the point that a glimpse of them in public was enough to excite the citizens. Luna didn't want to get swarmed by them when she still had something of an aversion to crowds and the noise they brought with them.

Her starry mane fluttered, streaming back from her head as she descended towards the steadily approaching country town, and the closer she got to it, the more she began to pick out more notable buildings outside of the tall Town Hall as her teal eyes searched for a quiet, empty street to touch down in. She wasn't sure if it would truly be empty, or who she might run into on this little, spur-of-the-moment visit to break outside of her repetitive schedule.

Aster’s horn glowed a slight red, her favorite of colors not because her horn glows it although she did have a light theory at some point that colors correspond to the pony such as favorite color or personality wise, but anyways getting off course Aster’s horn was glowing because she was tucking away a new book she had gotten, a murder mystery, and although she was excited to read it she felt like doing something else so she cantered over to her current living abode and greeted some of the ponies that lived with her at the orphanage. Going to her room she gave a brief hello to the one pony in there while grabbing some of her music books and folders with music sheets and finally a flute case. Leaving the orphanage Aster made her way to the Everfree Forest to play in peace and take in the fauna there. Once there Aster realized she brought nothing to prop up her sheets while she played and her tail swished angrily against her blank flank before she calmed down and resolute to find a place to prop up her sheets, finally she found a tree branch shaped almost in the way a music stand would and propped up her sheets.

Her horn once again glowed red as she took out her music books/sheets binder and flipped through them then either putting them back or setting them off to look at again. Then she gingerly put together her flute piece by piece till it was almost perfect and making slight adjustments for better playing. Putting the instrument to her lips she scanned the sheet that she was going to play and produced the music of the Windigo of the Opera. Her favorite pieces are part of the play and astutely continued to play for this music even though it never gave her a cutie mark, but after sometime she soon figured out she truly didn’t care if she had one or not. Luckily it was still early so she can play peacefully to herself among the Everfree Forest and not get nervous over ponies watching.

Princess Luna could pick out the various colorful ponies who were still wandering Ponyville's streets at this hour. It wasn't late yet, but she could sense the beginning of the shift from day to night. Later, by the time the sun touched the horizon, she would have to raise the moon, but that was still some hours off. It wasn't something for her to worry about yet. She could let her mind drift across her thoughts of Equestria itself and bits and pieces of old memories while she soared ever lower over the yellow thatched-roofing of Ponyville's quaint houses.

It would be impossible, from this distance, to mistake her as a particularly large and unusual pegasus, but she swept by quickly enough that most ponies likely didn't get a good look at her if they bothered to look up at all. Pegasi flying overhead was such a common sight that most ponies weren't given to watching them, let alone sparing a glance. Luna relied on this to avoid their notice for as long as she could so that she could avoid playing the role of social diarch as her sister often did. Celestia might enjoy socializing with ponies, and do so with ease, but Luna did not.

It was on her path over Ponyville, watching its residents as she flew over, seeking a bare enough street, that she noticed a filly heading towards the outskirts of Ponyville alone, in the direction of the Everfree Forest. Even in her day, the Everfree had been dangerous, no matter her connection to the animals there. Why would a filly dare to head so close? Luna beat her wings, drawing herself up further above the buildings in order to watch the filly's path with a watchful eye, a small frown playing around her muzzle that most would never see. It wouldn't be until the filly was almost out of her view that Luna finally made herself move, soaring after the little pony.

The moonbringer lost sight of them, but it didn't take her long to find them again by the sound of music that filtered through the trees over the natural forest ambience. Luna finally landed and slowly closed her wings at her sides as she stepped ever so quietly closer, her head cocked. Why would a filly decide to come to the Everfree Forest of all places to practice music? It was a dangerous place, and it was not in Luna's nature to simply leave her be, not when the pony might need protection.

Aster focused on the sheets she was reading with a gaze of concentration that stood out from her otherwise relaxed visage, she was seating on her rear in a way that almost looked uncomfortable with her back strait and her shoulders slouched forward, but it was comfortable to her. Aster used her hooves to play instead of her horn very well, and as her song neared the end she closed her eyes for a moment and then opened them as the last note of her song was carried into the fading day. She gave a deep breath and exhale as she slouched into a way that almost made her lay down as to calm her heart. As this happened she smiled and picked up the music binder and flipped through it to find another song, not finding anything she turned to put the binder back when she noticed the pony standing there and not just any pony, but Princess Luna, the pony she admired for her beautiful night and bravery among other things.

With any other pony she’s nervous enough when it comes to others seeing her playing by herself, but the pony she looked up too being the one to watch made her face heat up, heart beat even faster than the initial fear of being essentially jump scared of having sompony behind her, and she quickly put away all that was out in the open and stood up, before she fell on her bum and stayed there. Aster didn’t take her gaze away from the Princess of the Night as she could at least do that and she gave as much as a bow she could from her position before straitening up.

Luna's head was tilted, peering around the trunk of a tree. The filly had been playing her instrument the way the earth ponies did, which wasn't entirely unusual for them, but it was for a unicorn to some extent. Some part of her didn't dare try to break the little pony's concentration, let alone the flow of the music, and even once the song was finished, she didn't interfere. Perhaps because she didn't want to scare the foal.

The alicorn became aware that the filly's eyes had finally found her among the dark forest trees, a strange apparition with her starry mane that now fell in still waves down one side of her neck; the movement would've been too much of a detriment to her desire to remain hidden, although soft breezes made the hair lift floatily and slowly drift back down into place. She only stirred in her place in the edge of the clearing when the filly scrambled to her hooves just to bow to her. Something about ponies bowing to her bothered her, and Luna couldn't name a single reason why: if she was undeserving of that respect, if it reminded her of her thought process when she'd taken the mantle of Nightmare Moon, or if she'd seen it too often from those rare few ponies who fawned over her rather than treating her like a pony too.

Luna blinked, realizing the filly was staring at her. "You need not bow. Forgive me, I did not mean to intrude, but this forest is far too dangerous for a filly. You should return to civilization, where it is safe. These woods, they are not kind." Her voice was soft, as if she was nothing more than an apparition come to warn a pony of danger. She could almost appear as such, if not for the fact that she was visibly a solid, physical being.

The princess finally chose to step out from behind the tree where she'd been standing, half hidden, to seat herself on the leaf littered forest floor. "Why have you come here?" She queried. If there was any chance she could warn this pony away from the Everfree Forest to keep her safe, she would; one could never know when they'd run across a pack of timberwolves, or one of the cragodiles that could so easily make themselves look like a harmless lump of rocks. Of course, Luna didn't think a cragodile would be this close to the Everfree's edge, but the point remained.

Aster listened to Luna’s warning about the Everfree Forest and while too many Luna appeared like a solid apparition similar to the non-solid apparitions that would warn ponies of danger to Aster she was like a guiding hoof. The ponies at the orphanage were kind and the teachers were great ponies that set great opportunities, but maybe it was something about it being told to Aster specifically even though it could have been told to anypony or that she is finally meeting Princess Luna, but Aster just smiled happily at the beautiful mare. Princess Luna moved closer to Asters position from behind the tree and sat down upon the floor and Aster moved into a similar position as the Princess, but stayed in the same spot. She almost felt like bouncing in place, but did not want to be rude especially since Luna seemed concerned in some way from Asters point of view. Aster somewhat understood why as she most defiantly heard of what goes on in the Everfree Forest wasn’t the best of situations, even dangerous, but she never felt in danger as though there was something to prevent little ones being hurt or the fact she knew she was too small to be appealing to any critter despite the forest unpredictability.

When the Princess asked Aster of why she was in the Everfree Forest Aster had to think about it as she knew that if she said what she thought before it wouldn’t be that great of a response, maybe. “To be frank, I don’t really know. I know that it’s dangerous, I heard of what goes on, but for some reason I never felt in danger. And I try to keep to the edge so I can be both as close to the town and far away from the talking. The forest is beautiful in its own way with its special noises and slight darkness; you see the brightness of the day bothers my eyes so I rarely go outside except when I’m going to school or its night out. I really like the night with its soft lights and stars that make pretty shapes.” At this point Aster felt like she was rambling so she quieted down and looked to the side a little shamefully.

In the silence that followed her question, Luna picked up the expression on the filly's face and knew that she seemed to be giving her answer some serious thought. It wasn't something she often saw in foals and young ponies; sometimes, but not often. Young ponies were likely to blurt out their answers in excitement. The princess allowed the filly her time, and she used that time to glance up and around at the forest to ensure there was nothing lurking in the heavy shade. Thus far, it was safe. It was still relatively close to the forest's edge where most of its denizens didn't dare venture. She could relax a little more.

Luna returned her teal gaze to the filly, giving the little pony her attention once more to hear her answer. "The forest's edge is.. preferable, but the Everfree is unpredictable. You could be safe one minute, and in danger the next. It is always difficult to tell when danger will fall, and you, especially, are vulnerable." Luna attempted to be gentle with her warnings. She didn't want to legitimately scare the filly to the point that she had nightmares or anything of the sort. The very thought brought her a small pang of guilt.

Still, she was touched by the way the filly spoke of the night. With adult ponies, Luna felt that they said as much only to get into her good graces, to fawn over her for being a princess and Celestia's sister, or for other reasons Luna didn't dare think about. But children, they were genuine and honest with what they expressed. The moonbringer knew they were just as capable of lies, but.. not quite so often and hardly ever to be as malicious.

She dipped her head to the foal with a small, grateful nod. "I am glad you feel that way, and so too about the Everfree Forest. To look past its dangers to its wonders is an admirable thing. Shall I tell you something? I once knew this forest like the back of my hoof over a thousand years ago. I knew the animals, and I knew much of the forest paths. I explored it many a time with a manticore whose name was Melvin. He was one of my friends. Unfortunately, I am afraid that the Everfree might have changed since I last knew it. I initially came here so that I might get to know it again, rather than spend most of my time in the castle again."

It was a nice breezy afternoon with an enchanting feeling sweeping though the forest that added to the shadows of the forest to give it both an ominous feeling and a mystic feeling. The low sun shined delightfully though the leaves and bouncing off the particles in the air and reflecting in some areas. The air was heavy, but when breathed in it was like magic rushing though, adding to the excitement Aster felt of being close to the pony she practically considered her role model. She didn’t really know what to think though, or what the other thinks of her. Being a background copy-and-paste pony to save animation cost she mainly focused on her imagination on fake events involving fake characters and sarcastic comments.

Soon Princess Luna spoke once more to the foal and a frown, well Aster didn’t exactly ‘smile’ but she isn’t really sad when she’s not smiling it’s just she’s told she has a creepy smile, briefly flickered on Asters face at the warning but nodded anyways. It wasn’t great to be lectured, but she took the ‘forest's edge being preferable’ comment as a positive, if only to rein in the sadness of being lectured. But whatever sadness was wiped away when the princess expressed her happiness and scooted forward a foot away to listen to Luna’s story better. After Luna’s words Aster thought for a moment and went to pat the princess’s arms, “It’s okay, changes are always happening. We just have to accept it and adapt, even when we don’t like it, and make the best out of the situation with help from past experiences.” Aster thought about adding a smile, but decided against it since her smiles are apparently creepy although her mouth did twitch up.

Princess Luna couldn't know about what little sadness she'd evoked within the filly, but she didn't intend to lecture her- all that Luna wanted was that this filly, and every other foal, could be safe. They may not see the forest through the knowledgeable eyes of adults, nor pick up on how truly dangerous it could be, but they could be informed, to have some healthy wariness instilled in them so that they could avoid being lost.

The alicorn saw how the filly scooted closer, listening avidly to her story. Her teal eyes flicked down to her own forelegs, feeling the pony patting one of them to comfort her. A small smile rose to Luna's muzzle and she dipped her head. "This is a lesson that I am still trying to learn, and I'm grateful for the reminder," she gently replied. The twitches at the corners of the filly's mouth caught Luna's attention, and she puzzled over it. The filly hadn't properly smiled at her thus far, that she recalled.. Was there something wrong? The moonbringer didn't dare try to ask about it yet, just in case the filly was self conscious. Instead, she chose to ask a different question.

"Since I have arrived here, I never bothered to ask for your name. You must already know mine.. What is your name?" The newspapers that had been developed over the more recent years before her return were responsible for that. The existence of it was a little irksome because of what ponies chose to publish, from their general questions and scrutiny, to rather invasive reports from their own small fleet of spies. Her own sister's love of sweets being outed to the public so rudely had left Luna ruffled for quite a while; she didn't want to imagine anything that the newspapers have claimed or reported about herself- it was why Luna chose to be so secretive, to keep out of the public eye's scrutiny. She'd had enough of the ponies a thousand years ago whispering among themselves about her strangeness, she didn't want to see it scrawled out in papers today.

Luna softly cleared her throat. She wasn't sure what else to do, except to talk to this filly and perhaps walk her home before it was time for the night to rise. Her parents should surely be getting worried..

Aster huffed happily at Luna’s response to her words and nodded as well, she knew from past experiences that it was best not to dwell on the past or else it will drag you down. Rather it’s best to learn and adapt from those experiences, after all it isn’t the experiences that define you rather its how you adapted to those experiences. It took her a while to understand, but she can gladly say it has made her a lot happier pony in the long run. And Aster hopes she can spread that to others, but that’s rather hard when others can barley follow her logical leaps of one thing to another especially as some Mares and Stallions just don’t listen to her as they are either busy or something else and other foals dismiss her for having no cutie mark. Aster use to be bothered by it, and sometimes she feels like crying, but when people actually listen or she shown to be smarter than other foals she gets really happy.

Aster blinked heavily when she was one again addressed by Princess Luna and Aster almost felt like face-hoofing at letting her mind drift off again. She really does daydream and have constant discussions in her head to much or too long. Aster gave a cough to bring herself back to focus and addressed Luna, “I’m Aster! Heh sorry I daydream and am thinking constantly that I sometimes forget I’m with someone, sorry…” Aster ear twitched when she heard a rustling in the bushes, but brushed it off, she was with the Princess anyways. Although she did take notice that it must be soon for Luna to raise the moon, “Er… it’s nearing the time for you to raise the moon, yes? You should be going, and me too before dinner is over at the orphanage or I won’t be eating.” Aster stood up and completely packed up everything and set her satchels on her back.

A soft chuckle bubbled up out of Luna's throat and she waved the apology away with a hoof. "'Tis a pleasure to meet thee, Aster. You need not apologize for that. I am sometimes a daydreamer myself, and I get lost in thought if I allow my mind to wander. It tends to happen to the best of us." Still smiling, the mare stood, though that smile faded somewhat when the rustling reached her ears. Sharp teal eyes glanced off into the direction the rustling had come from, and she warily eyed the foliage in question, poised and waiting to see if something might slip out. When nothing happened, the princess relaxed a little. She wasn't too visibly tense, not enough so that the filly might notice, if she did.

"It is, actually. The night should soon begin, or my sister will worry." Her smile returned in full, indicating that she was making a joke. There was some history behind it, but the humor was there nonetheless. She loosened her wings at her sides and started to turn in place to orient herself towards Ponyville, but the word orphanage brought her to a stop. It troubled her and she tried not to let it show on her face. The fact that orphanages existed in Equestria at all...

"They should feed you regardless of what time you come back," Luna murmured, sounding a little more subdued. It wasn't that she was unhappy, although she was somewhat displeased with the orphanage's way of running things, she was just -- quieter. The alicorn flicked her curled forelock out of her face with a slight toss of her head and took a few steps forward, trying to gather herself while Aster collected her own belongings. "Shall I walk you home? It would be of no issue, to ensure you return safely. If I need to raise the moon along the way, I will; I don't need to be in any place of importance to do it."

Aster gave a brief chuckle at the princess’s confirmation of the raising of the moon although she did worry a little if that was a good thing or bad thing. But nonetheless she walked up to the princess side very excited at the prospect to see her raise the moon, and not be alone even though she likes her alone time she doesn’t want to be alone forever, she is still just a foal. “Would you really? I would like that…” Asters voice trailed off into a slight whisper as she smiled a slight smile. “And um… is it alright if I watch you do it?” She forgot to ask before she made the assumption that she could watch and Aster didn’t want to be a bother.

Aster ear twitched at Luna’s murmur and she only caught the tail end of ‘what time you come back’. Aster just smiled “It’s for money reasons I think, there are not many of us, but we all need to eat, sleep, play, and go to class.” She tilted her head up a little more, “It could also be that the cooks are volunteers.”  There was that rustle again, this time more violently and it seemed to follow them as though it believed no one could hear it. Aster decided to move a little quicker toward the orphanage.

The mare dipped her head. "I would," she replied with a smile. Her ears twitched towards the little filly as she fell into step next to Aster, shortening her longer strides so that she wouldn't outpace the filly on their way towards Ponyville. "It's perfectly fine. I imagine there are a few other ponies out there who might stay up to watch the moon rise, but it would be nice to have company while I do."

She normally raised the moon from her balcony when the time came, and nopony was ever with her when she did. It could be lonely on occasion, but Luna had long since become familiar with being alone to the point that she'd adjust a little too well to it. Now, being around so many ponies, especially in an Equestria that was worlds different from the one she once knew, could be a little nervewracking. Aster's voice broke the silence of her thoughts again, and an ear twitched the filly's way. "Money reasons? I see.. Why are orphanages not better funded and handled? I would think that they would receive more support, especially when my sister has such a soft spot for foals," Luna mused, a small frown on her face. Volunteers. She exhaled softly through her nose.

Her troubled feelings about Aster's orphanage was quickly set aside when a rustling came from the forest foliage, louder this time. Luna came to a halt, falling behind Aster for only a moment to warily eye the bushes and underbrush with a sharp teal eye, her wings coming half unfurled in preparation. Whatever it was hadn't yet chose to reveal itself, something that both relieved and troubled Luna. Was something watching them? A curious animal that was more afraid of them, or a hungry beast waiting for the right time to pounce?

Giving the forest a last, stern glance, Luna turned away and trotted after Aster, easily catching up with the smaller pony. Luna would shadow her without a word, her half-unfolded wings still held out from the sides of her body just in case she needed to spring into action at a moment's notice.

Aster stomach tickled excessively at the excitement of just, well, everything and now she can watch Luna raise the moon! Aster could only give a small smile and a shrug at Luna’s questions since she was really guessing and had nothing to say to her questions. She was gleefully walking the way to the orphanage and taking in the quiet or comming quiet. Aster didn’t know what to do though, didn’t know what to say, she doesn’t interact except her very few friends and she trying to get better, but not many people are interested in the kid who would rather read than play outside. She looked up when she noticed Lunas wing’s unfurled above her, unsure of why they were out Aster looked on couriously.

The rustle though was a constant in her movements out that soon became little thumps. Aster turned around quickly only to spot a timberwolf pup, the little thing that was no bigger than Aster herself made tiny growling noises. Although whether it was more scared of them and trying its best or trying to scare them was up in the air.

Princess Luna had little to say in the conversation, a trait she shared with Aster; not that she knew it. Her exile and the near solitude in which she spent most of her time had much to do with it, and why she rarely ever had anything to say to ponies except what needed to be said. It didn't matter if it was honesty, or simply what they needed to hear, rather than what they'd wanted to hear. The lunar princess's mind was currently on her surroundings, keeping track of where they were and every little noise that came from the forest around them. For the most part it was silent, save for the soft rustling of leaves or the underbrush stirred by the breeze.

Luna only stopped again when the earlier, violent rustling of something moving around started up again and changed to soft thumping. The mare whirled immediately, spreading her wings and her horn alight with her silvery magic in preparation.. only to find the source of all the noise was a small timberwolf pup. Her wings sagged a little against her sides and Luna's stance became more relaxed, surprise crossing her face. Her magic faded and she made a soft noise in her throat. Just a pup. It wasn't dangerous on its own, but if its pack was nearby, then they'd be in trouble. Wild animals were notoriously protective of their young, and for a good reason too.

"Ah," Luna sighed and folded her wings back against her sides. "'Tis only a pup, but we should still be careful. It's not wise to mess with the young of wild animals." It was a gentle warning that she thought to give Aster just in case the filly thought about running towards it. It wouldn't be wise.

• 3 weeks later...

Aster was a bit stagnant at the site of the single pup and slightly unsure how to proceed. Despite being mainly a reader she hasn’t read too much into the timberwolf and thus a bit perplexed on what to do. She only new on how to deal with situations involving the normal passive animals rather than predatory animals other than one needs to be very careful. Aster stayed neer Luna’s side as she formulated a plan of action, they couldn’t just run for that would lead the pup and whatever family it has nearby into the town and for similar reasons they couldn’t harm the pup. It seems as though the pup is scared, after all Aster is around its size and Luna is substantially taller, and is trying to scare them off although the way the pup had leaned to forward on its upper paws has made it appear smaller and thus less dominate comparatively.

Aster nodded to, although not fully hearing, Luna’s words and vaguely processing the words. Then she started to hum a simple tune similar to a lullaby in hopes in calming the creature. She didn’t want to go closer to the pup in case it got more agitated so humming, a common way to calm someone down, was the option. Aster was unsure on how to proceed so she paused her humming to explain to Luna why she was humming and continued to hum once more, Luna may have an idea on what to do.

Princess Luna noted that Aster did nothing that another filly might do when coming across a baby animal. She was, however, surprised when Aster began to hum softly. A sort of lullaby, if the sound of it was anything to go by. Luna listened with some interest, watching the timberwolf pup closely and considering their options. What she knew about the timberwolves was that they might not follow them too far out of the forest. It was their home, and might as well be the source of their life- timberwolves had hardly ever been spotted anywhere else.

The situation they had on their hooves now with this timberwolf pup had an undertone of unease. At any time, a pack of timberwolves could emerge from between the trees.. The princess quietly shook her wings at her sides, as if shaking off that layer of unease that seemed to want to settle itself over her back like a thin blanket. Aster's humming stopped. Luna glanced over at her and managed to catch what it was Aster was trying to do by humming, and she could only nod. She wasn't sure how much it might help, but..

"Let us begin to move towards Ponyville slowly. Predator animals of any sort would become excited and give chase if we were to run. I doubt this pup will follow us too far out of the woods, nor will its older kin. In a small way, they are bound to this forest," Luna put in, striving not to sound like she was trying to interrupt Aster's continued humming. Turning away, Luna began to take small steps back towards town, extending a wing to curve it over Aster in hopes of encouraging the filly to follow her. To help, she thought to join in and began to hum herself, harmonizing with Aster's voice.

Aster followed Luna’s steps backwards toward Ponyville and throwing a glance at the town. It seemed far, but still in view, as small as it was perceptive wise of where they were. Biting her lip while still humming Aster worried about not the timberwolf that took half-steps comparatively to theirs, but the time. It was Dawn and should be moving toward night by now, and while many ponies will not think twice Aster wondered what implications of a halted night would bring because of a timber wolf, hopefully it will act similar to a day on the summer sun celebration. Her attention quickly returned to the young pup only to be drawn to the sound of the Princess tuning into Asters humming.

Aster made sure to stay under Luna’s wing both to comfort herself and possibly the Princess. At some point the pup stopped moving and ran back into the forest and Aster realized that they were almost to Ponyville and soon they were at the first row of houses marking as the entrance to the town. She stopped her humming and turned around and marked the way toward the orphanage.

Princess Luna kept an eye on the timberwolf cub and routinely checked on their surroundings, ensuring that she couldn't see any other movements in the encroaching dark. She didn't relax until the cub finally lost interest and fled back into the forest. Only then did she turn her back on the Everfree and resumed her normal pace, if slightly slow so that Aster could keep up with her longer stride.

"It's safe now," Luna murmured. All it'd been was a curious denizen of the forest, and she was grateful that they hadn't run into any sort of trouble with it. The lunar princess strode along in silence, one wing still held aloft over Aster like one might hold an umbrella for another in the rain. Most of the houses at Ponyville's edge were quiet, though some still sported lit windows, where ponies settled or had already gone to bed early for the night. It already felt a little lonely at this hour, but Luna didn't mind it much now. Her teal eyes flicked up towards the sky every so often, marking the passage of the lowering sun for the right time to raise the moon, wanting to ensure that she wouldn't be late so that neither her sister would worry, and nothing was disrupted.

Luna finally paused when they entered a small square at the middle of the houses. In the middle was a simple statue of a rearing pony. The space was open enough that even a filly like Aster would be able to see the sky clearly enough. The dark alicorn pulled her wings back against her own body and glanced down at her companion, a small smile on her face to see if Aster would be watching. Without a word, Luna looked skyward, the silvery-blue of her magic shimmering into being around her horn and, focused her will upon the moon. Slowly, she lifted it and it began to rise above the horizon, filling the fallen dark with soft silver light. Stars began to twinkle into being, though some faded as the moon moved higher as if they were clearing a path for something grander than they.

Sunrises were all well and good, but Princess Luna held enough pride over the rise of night to wonder how ponies couldn't see the beauty in an event like this.

Archived