Red, Red Wine (Closed: Invite)

SteelEagle

Shiny chuckled at the mention of the Watcher's letter, he remembered it quite clearly.  "Seems the most natural thing in the world to me.  Though, technically, I was loving you even before you were an Empress!"  He laughed, falling quiet as he watched his wife's behavior with curiosity.  Was Cady really that drunk?  He knew she was a bit of a lightweight when it came to the stuff, but still...

It was in seeing his wife and Barbera together that Shining Armor got a good education in what real drunkenness vs. fake drunkenness looked like.  And, having seen the real thing, he discretely poured out the rest of his wine before moving over to where their host was clinging to Cadence.  "Little Songbird...?"  He asked, gingerly reaching a hoof out to touch the mare's shoulder, as he looked over to his wife.  Was this... his mother-in-law?

2qJgRGm.png

Well, nopony ever claimed that being a Princess of Love was easy. Cadence hoped she had managed to convince Barbera Red to spill her secrets. Perhaps she succeeded a little too perfectly, because the emotional old mare was now hugging the alicorn who was apparently her little songbird. Gaaah; things weren't already awkward enough, but that one phrase... "Little Songbird." That was DEFINITELY familiar to Cadence; that had been a term of endearment her own mama used back in the day. Did that mean that Ms. Red-

.....!

In a sudden rush, Cadence pushed herself away from the matronly pegasus, but not so far as to break off all physical contact. Barbera needed to be more closely inspected; her physical appearance had rang of unconscious familiarity, after all. But... her voice had been WAY off from what she recalled her real mother sounding like. There was one foolproof way for Cadence to ascertain the truth; to know if it was okay to let her heart be softened, and never mind how high the cost may grow.

If... if only she could see Barbera's eyes. A pony like Cadence skilled in reading emotions always knew that eyes never lie.....

Barbera was pushed back, though not far. Just enough to get some space and allow Cadance to get a good look. Maybe with tears in her eyes, it would be easier for Cadance to see her mother for who she was. The watery nature made it appear more alive. Memories of joy and sorrow filtered through these same eyes were hard to miss. The times she would come home after working sixteen hours and cry quietly in the kitchen, feeling the walls closing in on her business. The times they'd be playing, Barbera would knock her head on the table and fake cry to draw Cadance close- and then snap her up in a playful hug. So many memories flooded through her as she beheld her beautiful daughter, who sat confused and searching in front of her.

She wouldn't have to search long, the eyes only sealing the deal. Her cutie mark was no longer covered as her wings were opened and laying down, the right wing flapping of no real accord- a nervous tick she had developed as a youth. She was older than Cadance would remember and her voice was more husky, more flinty, though as Barbera sat on her haunches due to a trembling leg it may be possible to see the smallest indent in her neck. Nothing dramatic now, but it could be seen. It marred an otherwise well taken care of form. Barbera had always prided herself on taking good care of her body. She wanted to age gracefully and well, like wine. She wasn't sure if any of that included blubbering but she reckoned it couldn't hurt.

She tried to speak, but she just blurted and blubbered. After a few seconds, she took a few deep breaths broken by hiccups and looked at Cadance. “I-I-It's been s-s-so long...”

As the scene in front of him played out, Shining was left with no doubt that this was indeed a reunion between Cadence and her mother.  His own role now was ancillary, he knew; he could only feel the emotion of it by proxy.  Still, they were real enough to him.  Cady had sometimes talked about missing her mother, though she had always respected her decision to stay out of her daughter's life.  At least, so the pink alicorn had said.  Shining would never say it out loud, but he most emphatically did not respect that decision in the slightest.  Perhaps it was because of his own strong family life, but those bonds were sacred in a way, to him.  If maintaining them imposed a cost upon the child as well as the parent... so be it.  Better the bond be strong and shared, than severed.

Fate seemed to have brought in its own opinion on the matter, making a mockery of attempted 'noble sacrifices.'  Perhaps it was this fundamental irony that made him smile and say, "Well, it looks like we're going to have that visit with your mother after all, Cady."

• 3 weeks later...

2qJgRGm.png

...There was no lie in Barbera's eyes. This mare before Cadence couldn't have been anypony else other than her very own mother. So many emotions were running through the alicorn. On one hoof, this was the same birth mother who had made herself scarce for most of her daughter's life. Despite what she liked to think, Cadence had never did truly forgave her mama for that. In fact, there was a part of the alicorn's heart which desired to remain walled off.

But it was too late for that sort of vindictive stubbornness, for the mere acknowledgement of Barbera as her mother was all it took to open Cadence's heart. And in that moment, the empathetic Princess of Love could feel all the forces of love stirring within Barbera- no, Amore Della Familia. Yes, so many memories of daughter and mother were coming back now; repressed memories that Cadence didn't knew she still had. Faced with the truth standing in front of her, the pink alicorn couldn't bear to let a grudge get the better of her. This was only one thing to do.....

For the first time in seemingly countless moons, Cadence hugged her mother with all her strength, choking up in the process. ".....I-I missed you, M-Mama." It looked like Shiny was going to meet in mother-in-law after all. Eventually. First, Cadence and her Mama had a lot of catching up to do.....

*FADE TO BLACK*

OOC Note: Considering all my recent struggles with RP posting, this thread will be one of many that I'm wrapping up my involvement in. Thank heavens we managed to reach the tearful reunion moment at least. Anywho, I had fun with this RP, and I hope you guys did too. <3

Archived