Royal Reasoning Regular Meeting (closed - invite only)

BeGoneThots

Celestia returned to the table, put her glasses on, pull the papers close with her own magic gently and read them over. She sat in silence letting the others talk as she looked it over. There were a few missing factors, bits of data that were either inconclusive or outright missing. Still, it was well put together and there was enough data here that the group could make a suitable conclusion. However, even after the others said their piece, Celestia herself sat in silence for a full ten minutes as she looked over the data, glancing up at the other princesses, and then returning her eyes to the data. The look upon her face was sympathetic and genuine as she took a breath and sighed finally. Lifting her glasses off, she set them on the table with the papers and spoke. 

"There is no possible laws, actions, or other things we as princesses can do that will make a completely suitable answer to an, as you put, issue like this. I agree with Luna. The ponies that need this, those that are living in an unbalanced and unhappy state because they were simply born in the wrong body deserve access to this, and proper guidance to help them on their change. This is more than just an issue to look at. I have long seen this growing, as times change and ponies become more accepting. Still, there are many traditional places left in our kingdom and I can only guess the resistance they will put up."

Celestia tapped a hoof on the table, growing serious as she spoke. "We have to consider multiple factors. The rights of the ponies that want to change into the proper bodies are important. And on the other side of the coin, we can not simply ignore the ponies that are traditional. I could say we should make laws, but just making laws is never an answer. Add to that this subject is quite literally explosive. Ponies looking to experiment are the most endangered here. As the ability to change back and forth repeatedly may alter their psyche. Luna, you know more about the minds of ponies than any other here since you visit their dreams repeatedly. You likely know more about what ponies feel about things. Would you be willing to assist in this matter in a more hooves on way? I feel that ponies would never be fully honest with me about the way they feel." 

Celestia took a breath and let it out slowly. After a moment she stood and stepped away from the table. "Simpler transformation spells, are easy enough but carry side effects." Her horn lit up, and with a bright flash, she was a stallion. "Taking the form of the other gender is simple. The length depends on the spell. Being as old as I am, I have had plenty of time to practice, and as Luna pointed out I have a variety of spells to disguise myself. However, my transformations are not as complete as they seem. I can not be a full stallion in those ways." Changing back, she came back to the table and sat. "The options provided are viable, but I am wary to make them a... I do not want to call them options until we have more information. Medically speaking, what are the side effects and what are their intensity? Psychologically speaking, how do these options affect the ponies using them? Are their radiant side effects that can cause issues with ponies around them, like a potent love potion? And finally, is there a manner to reverse this if the pony in question decides to change back? Short experimental bursts are not enough to determine how a pony can handle it. A lengthy change is required, sometimes for years. What we have to consider with this is that these ponies are seriously altering their bodies and their lives. They will require support beyond measure. While you are very comfortable switching back and forth Bluebelle, there are millions of ways to react to any situation. Especially one like this." 

Celestia looked at Luna, "You provide a most valid point sister. One which I wish to look at right now. I think we can provide legal protections for ponies that need this treatment to live happily. More than once Ponies have come to me when I was the lone princess ruling Equestria, asking for help in this same matter. However All I could offer them was a safe place to live their life in a different town. Even then, I could not give them what they needed and deserved. I think it is high time to make it clear that Equestria is a place for ALL to be happy. These poor ponies are no exception. I put forward a motion to make laws for their protection now. We need to be able to protect all our ponies." She looked at the others now, Cadence, Bluebelle, and Twilight. She was not so tense as before, and seemed to be looking at the other four to make suggestions on the point she just made. Though in the back of her own mind, she had a few ideas of how to deal with ponies that treated these ponies exceptionally poorly. Not agreeing with a pony on their lifestyle was a given right, and even a calm voice to those beliefs was perfectly acceptable. It was when ponies began to discriminate against others that things became a problem. Refusing others services and freedoms based on their belief of their gender was quite...unbecoming of Equestria. As well this would put more work on already existing organizations. Celestia knew that was going to be heavily taxing on their system. But perhaps things needed to change, and to push older issues away. Equestria had to evolve with the world around it. It could remain true to its principles, but it needed to adapt. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2w6dy09.jpg

Cadance, I'm so happy you made it,”

Aww, who was Cadence to deny Twilight Sparkle the pleasure of a sisterly hug? Breaking many rules of decorum, the beaming pink alicorn gave her lavender counterpart a quick embrace of her own; "It's great to see you too, Twily." As Cadence let go of Twi, she flashed another smile at her adoptive cousin. "Oooooh, sounds exciting Bluebelle!" It was staggering to see how much Bluey had grown as a non-alicorn royal over these last few years.

"If you found the borders perfectly pleasant and 'the most loyal, princess-loving ponies' there, then why is it that we have this issue with bandits? Were the ponies you met simply putting on an act to ensure you saw that all was well, or are these bandits little more than.. stories made up by ponies?"

"I don't believe these claims of ponies turning to banditry are either tall tales or a problem that frontier settlers are covering up from us," Cadence explained to Luna. "In fact, this wouldn't be the first time in recent memory we've had groups of ponies turn to crime or more vile things. Let's not forget that the Crystal Faire Invasion," the pink princess exchanged knowing glances with Twi and Blue; "Was enabled in large part by that shadowy extremist organization — WRAITH — which we know has many ponies in its ranks."

"But like Bluebelle was saying earlier, something's... not adding up. Unless Equestria's had an economic downturn recently, then it doesn't seem likely that ponies living along our borders would be desperate enough turn to thievery in massive numbers. Hmmph, it sure isn't the driving force behind WRAITH's support, I can tell you that!" Done snorting in contempt at that heartless band of evil-doers, Cadence turned more humble; "Though uhhh, I'm not an expert on matters like these, I can't help but wonder that maybe there's another explanation behind the rising number of both pony and non-pony outlaws; one that we're not meant to unravel before it's too late."

------------------------

Princess Celestia's heart was in the right spot... but did she pay attention to the actual dilemma her nephew presented? In Tia's defense, Bluebelle could have served herself better with a more concise set of notes. Cadence blamed Twilight's bad influence for that; when will that lovable brainiac ever learn to summarize facts in a way ponies could understand? Anywho, the Princess of Love shrugged as she thought of what she believed to be a rather easy solution to Bluebelle's issue:

"Well, who says we can't have both formulas on the market? The more permanent gender-switching potion can be made available via prescription, while the temporary one can be over-the-counter... like the stuff that gives you butterfly wings!" Cady looked at Twi once more, knowing she had personal expertise in magi-cosmetic enchantments and what-not....

TwiBanner_zpsvi6knv7w.png&key=ebd9a6bf92

Twilight allowed the topic to die, though she knew perfectly why the bandit situation and the border ponies being so loyal didn't add up. The simple fact of the matter is that the two weren't connected. At all. Bandit raids could be found as close as Fet Loch, and the majority of them came from outside Equestria. Neither pointed to the border ponies, the settlers, those on the edge of the Equestrian expanse being the source of such numbers. Nonetheless, the matter was not only settled, but they had more topics to discuss and problems to try and solve.

Historically, ponies facing such internal conflict went by any number of local terms. Few of them were derogative. Compared to the current Equestrian populace they would seem less accepting than current societal standards would consider appropriate, but in all actuality, they were more accepted in Equestria than anywhere else. When Bluebelle had been going through her difficulties, Twilight had done considerable research. There had never been a law on the books of any town, a decree from any royal tongue, to harm the rights of such ponies. Legally, they had never been barred from promoting who they desired to be.

But it wasn't a problem necessarily of the legal right to be who you wanted to be, as Celestia knew well from her long history. Many communities across time had looked at ponies who had such gender identity issues askew. Disrupting, perhaps. Against the natural order to a great extent and as the primary defenders and propagators of the natural order (as they saw it) it meant that there was an issue to be had. Many had been run out of the more traditional communities, blamed for any manner of bad luck or ill fortune. Such was the past. It was a part of their history that was anything but something to be proud of.

In the modern day, such attitudes weren't all that common. Ponies of all stripes and identities walked the streets of Equestrian cities and opposing words and attitudes were, at best, limited. But Celestia was correct in saying that any law to be made would encourage those few with more hard-line stances to make significantly more noise about such beliefs than they were doing now. Defining traditionally minded settlements was difficult as well. Most of the time such places tended to be small and out of the way but it was known to have a foothold in cities. But there had never been a proper study done to gauge the exact beliefs of such ponies in this day and age. The Princesses had stories and experiences of the past, nothing more.

Of course, Blue's actual concern wasn't in regard to acceptance of such ponies. It was about how to handle the side effects of the increasing numbers of potions available, and of the options being presented. “Indeed, you were very lucky Bluebelle to have all the advantages you had. Not many have them, as you've said before. The real concern, at least to me, does coincide with yours in some ways. As potions and treatments become more widespread, the unregulated nature of it all is unnerving. We've got superb ponies doing great work in this area- I met one in particular during the Grand Galloping Gala- but as more is made, the opportunity for mishaps grows. And in an area such as this, it can be...a problem. But as you said, we can't be sure this is a problem per se,” she said. Followed soon by Cadance, who added in what Twilight could only agree with. While gender transformation potions were a whole other animal from a spell granting butterfly wings, the basic aetheric foundations were similar to some extent.

“I think both would do well at market, and I know of a few others out there as well. As long as we can do our due diligence to ensure that it is all safe, and with both Luna and Celestia being correct in terms of what we should do legally and socially, I think the future is bright. What do you think, Bluebelle?” Twilight asked while taking mental stock of Luna's reply to Twilight informing her of her need of the Night Princess' aid. Twilight was sure that Luna was not giving herself full credit. She spent her time in Canterlot and had to know, even tangentially, many of the ponies they were to deal with. Such social knowledge was of great importance!

Luna took surprise in being addressed by Celestia, who finally returned to the table, and about the psyche of ponies. She was a little startled when Celestia, in the midst of this issue, used a spell to change her appearance to what Luna never expected to see Celestia as. If for a brief moment. "What I am more familiar with is how frequent nightmares, especially the more intense ones, can damage a pony's psyche. I cannot say if allowing ponies to alter themselves physically to suit who they truly are would have the same effect. Unless, of course, the spell or potion was poorly crafted. I think our concern here would be the source of how a pony can change themselves. We should ensure that only those that know what they're doing should be capable of assisting this change so that there are not dire consequences." Luna nodded Twilight's way, agreeing with her. "Only a physical change should be wrought, to better match up with what a pony truly is so that they do not feel a disconnect between themselves mentally, and physically."

The lunar princess didn't have much experience or understanding of this particular situation, but she did get the gist of it. Perhaps, in time, she would get to know more, to gain a more in-depth understanding of what some ponies went through. It was possible the princess would be able to figure out more about herself, but until then..

Luna hoped her answer was adequate enough, addressing at least one concern she could focus on rather than make assumptions about anything. Her attention shifted to the others, and Cadance especially, upon being addressed. There was a mention of WRAITH, something that the dark alicorn still didn't know a whole lot about, as well as this invasion of the Crystal Faire. Her nocturnal schedule left her out of the loop of most general goings-on, though she could sometimes get updates from Celestia as well as some bits of paperwork- when Luna bothered to look at them.

"I'm curious about this invasion, and this group you mentioned, but I feel it is a question for another time. But your comment seems to imply that they would have something to do with this banditry?" Her voice held a questioning lilt to it, a subtle request for an answer to clear that bit of confusion up. If this 'shadowy organization' did have anything to do with the troubles at their borders, and anything else Luna hadn't learned yet, she feared what they might be doing to sour what they'd worked so hard to build. "Regardless.. having options with these.. spells and formulas, would be useful so that ponies can find what fits them, helps them, best."

As the other Princesses gave the feedback, Bluebelle was intently listening, searching for any angle which she was missing.  It seemed that her Aunties were concerned about the wider social disruptions that might occur, though with a special focus on potential discrimination from the traditional, rather than potential excesses by the enthusiastic.  Bluebelle wasn't quite sure that was a proper prioritization, though Cadence's point on keeping the temporary potions on the market would act as a safety valve.  Having cheaper and easier access to such things would help get Equestria used to these things, and social mores would accrete to keep behavior within tolerable limits.

In the meantime, though, the situation would have to be managed.  The Princess nodded at Twilight's summation.  "Yes, it isn't a problem yet, and with care, it shouldn't be.  I just feel responsible for the issue, after giving it so much attention in the public sphere.  In any case, having a license board for approved vendors, as well as a few laws on their distribution, should keep a reign on any commercial excesses.  I particularly would want to keep a lid on advertisement; we've had severe issues with over-marketing by pharmaceutical firms before.  Also, a ban on sale to minors; given what a shift in gender can do to a fully formed psyche like mine, I'm extremely leery of letting it into the hooves of those still undergoing development."

She began to gather her papers back together again, no longer floundering in the sea of disparate data.  "As for the issue with the traditionalists... honestly, I think the biggest obstacle to acceptance is whether or not another pony thinks you are a real mare or stallion when you say that you are.  I'm not sure a change in law would affect that; after all, liberalizing the divorce and remarriage laws hasn't stopped the traditionalists from distinguishing between married and really married.  And if we were to drag every little social snub into the law courts, we would be setting ourselves up for a whole heap of trouble.

"On the other hoof, making full transformation readily available might actually resolve that issue.  After all, if somepony questioned right now if I was really a mare, I could abandon all dignity to remove all doubt, as it were."  She blushed a bit, but continued.  "Removing that discongruity would take a lot of the social stress out of it.  As for the rest... well, you can't be everypony's Auntie."  She said, singling out Celestia for reply.  "Legally, our framework is robust enough to bring in severe disputes into our jurisdiction already.  The rest will have to be sorted out by Equestrian Society, for better or worse.  I think the best we can do is be fair, and leave as open a ground for whatever resolutions are privately arrived at."  Even to the power of a Princess, there were limits.  "Speaking for myself, and how I've had to integrate this into my private life... keep those old laws on herding on the books, that's all I'll request for my own sake."

The papers were all corralled now, stuffed into their folder and placed in an even stack in front of Bluebelle.  Didn't stop her from straightening it out even more with her hooves, a bit of an obsessive tic.  "Well, that's one of my two issues.  I'll defer the other, as I said before, for last.  It's to do with foreign policy, and I can bring Auntie Luna up to speed with anything she's not familiar with then, WRAITH attack included."  The mention of the darker alicorn arrested the unicorn's attention, turning her eyes towards Luna.  "Did you have an issue you wanted to bring up?  I think I may have interjected out of turn, but I didn't see you bring in any papers with you..."

Celestia listened and nodded along to everything that was said. Though mostly just to allow herself time to roll matters over in her mind. She was thinking more along the lines of when the protests would begin, or perhaps when the first assault would be brought to their attention. Ponies were advancing socially at a rapid pace, and she had no doubt the majority would indeed welcome these potions and spells readily. Some may even already be cooking up home brewed versions for their own use. What concerned her was the one here and the one there. There were always the single individuals that would decide enough was enough, and take matters into their own hooves. After a thousand years she had seen it happen too many times. Her power and responses were limited, and her fellow princesses were right about a more reserved action. Yet still a worry and a doubt plagued the back of her mind. She wondered how long before some pony was seriously hurt. 

Her horn lit up, levitating the tea pot over and refilling her cup. Setting the pot back on the warmer, she levitated the tea cup up and without even hesitating drank half of it without any cream or sugar. Setting the cup down, she looked at each pony in turn. Her look was calm, and she kept that look up as she levitated a tart from the cart beside the table. That was when Blue called for Luna to speak. Celestia straightened up and looked to her younger sibling. 

She had also noticed that Luna had not brought any papers, however she had said nothing under the assumption that Luna may choose to have a servant bring them to her later or perhaps have her own memorized. Setting the tart down, Celestia brought another piece of paper over, her quill still scribbling away under the spell she put on it. There was no doubt that it recorded everything in the room, as well the records would need a bit of editing to cut out the entrances of the late arrivals. 

As the quill moved to the new page and hovered there, Celestia smiled a little at Luna. Her sister was still catching up, and even Celestia knew this meeting was a bit much on top of everything she already had to do. With that thought, Tia fell completely silent, listening and waiting. 

2w6dy09.jpg

Princess Luna's insinuation caught Cadence off guard; "Oh uhh, it did?" Like the Love Princess said, she wasn't an expert on these matters, so she didn't intentionally think to draw a connection between the rise of banditry and WRAITH. But now that the possibility had been brought up... "Well, I suppose it could be possible, but there's no way to be sure until a more thorough investigation is conducted." And with that, there wasn't really more that could be said about the topic until an appropriate time to further discuss WRAITH could be found.

------------------------

Speaking of Luna, it appeared Cousin Bluebelle was going to turn the floor over to her. Cadence listened patiently to what the dark-blue alicorn would have to say.....

Twilight was happy that they reached as much of a conclusion as they could considering the subject matter. Truly it was up to Equestrian society at large to solve the major problems. All they could do was provide safety and security for those undertaking such journeys or, to a lesser extent, dipping their hooves in the lifestyles of others. She would have to create a large raft of safety and medical regulations to ensure such matters were kept safe, and already her head was swimming with what would need to be done. Absentmindedly she was sketching such things on her various pieces of paper, cross-referencing and editing as she went magically, her eyes ever focused on the mares present.

She waited for Luna to have her turn at the front and center of the discussions. The Princess of the Night had a different perspective on events and matters in Equestria and Twilight was loathe to admit that she had, despite all the respect afforded to Luna, rarely been able to earnestly engage in any real sort of problem-solving with her. Well, no more! Twilight said ready and excited to receive Luna's words, and just as eager to help her along the path of whatever solution seemed best. She knew that even if she couldn't they had three of the brightest minds in Equestria to do so, and that one of them, Celestia, had the calming demeanor to bring resolution to any crisis. They were in excellent hooves.

Princess Luna paid close attention to Bluebelle's input, all the while wondering how many ponies had been forced to keep their true selves hidden from such hateful individuals throughout so many centuries. There was nothing traditional about stifling ponies from being themselves all because it might not match another's simple views of the world. The princess quietly scoffed. This couldn't stand anymore. Her mind was also working, running over ways that they might be able help change this outlook. Why would anypony want to force ponies to be what they actually weren't when their world was so diverse? So full of different creatures, and magic..

She almost shook her head to her own thoughts and stopped, distracted by something Princess Cadance said. ".. Ah! I.. thought that was what you were implying. Were you simply being sarcastic, then?" That had caught her completely by surprise. She hadn't read any sarcasm in Cadance's tone, and assumed the princess of love meant what she said, and knew that was what this WRAITH was intending. It was even more troubling that they didn't know this organization's true purpose, but if it still was possible that that was what they were trying.. well. They'd have to find some way to deal with WRAITH.

"I intend to find out more about them, but later," Luna answered, nodding Bluebelle's way. It was nice to know that that information would be offered up to her.. The moonbringer gave a little start, feeling the weight of the focus brought onto her by that simple question settling around her. Even her sister and Twilight appeared to be silently waiting for her to speak, as well as Cadance. Luna's teal eyes briefly flitted around the room, as if searching for some sign that could tell her what to do or how to wriggle out of it, but there was none. "Eh.. well.." She was left feeling awkward, and after her earlier moodiness. It felt silly now. Pointless. They appeared to care about her input, though she was often used to being left out of things, of feeling invisible and less important. True, she didn't have anything to bring to the table that carried as much weight as their own presentations. Luna lowered her head a little.

"I.. admit, I have little to say. I've realized over the course of our meeting that most of my issues lie with -- my sister. Most of which I can simply discuss with her later, but, ah.. I suppose I do have a few concerns to bring up. Something that I've noticed whenever some great power rears its head and attacks Equestria. I know many must have noticed it already, but I feel that our royal guard are not fit for the task of facing those evils, despite their attempts. They are far outmatched. Our country, from what history I've brushed up on after my banishment, has been for the most part, peaceful. What has kept these invaders and tyrants at bay have been the work of the Elements of Harmony, the power of love and, yes, unity and friendship," Luna nodded to Twilight and Cadance. "But that has been the work of a few individuals. Our royal guard cannot exactly protect us when my sister and I are more powerful than they, yet.. I feel it would be best that they see real training against such threats, to learn to spot the dangers so that we can be prepared. They might be best used to protect our citizens, too, so they are kept out of the way of that danger."

Princess Luna glanced over towards Celestia. "I think we could stand to play a more active role again, ourselves. It has been most embarrassing, to me especially, to be caught so unawares by what we could have helped defend against."

Bluebelle, for her own part, was simply glad that her suggestion on keeping herd marriage on the books had passed without comment.  She'd honestly expected a few awkward questions over the subject, particularly with Cadence.  Of course, now wasn't exactly the time for gossip about one's personal life, so perhaps the unicorn Princess would simply have that conversation afterwards.  Wonderful...

In the meantime, there was a new issue on the table, one which Blue, to her surprise, found herself with several ideas ready to hoof.  It was perhaps to be expected given how... relevant to her interests guards were.  "You're not the only one who's noticed that, Auntie.  Speaking as somepony who is not in fact, more powerful than their guards as a rule..."  She pursed her lips, biting down a bit on the bottom one as she arranged her thoughts.  "I've hoof-picked my honor guard, those who I trust to be with me as I venture into dangerous diplomatic territory.  I think your suggestion on training against threats of a greater than normal magnitude essentially sound; though ponies who do actually survive and thrive in those encounters tend to become adventurers and heroes, as opposed to the rank and file of an army.  And it is from those adventures that I tend to recruit."

She shrugged.  "I don't know if you could get Daring Do as a bodyguard, but maybe she has some suggestions?  I have noticed that Equestria does tend to produce more good heroes than it does good soldiers.  Perhaps they're our national military specialty, like the Neighponese Samurai, or Aquellian Marines?"

Hearing Luna voice that her primary issues were with her personally, Tia was worried and it showed on her face. However, she said nothing and paid full attention to Luna as she spoke. She herself had to admit that the REA was.... lacking in its ability. Primarily to protect the citizens from danger. Luna presented a point Celestia herself had muddled over for a year now. And then Bluebelle made a comment that sparked something in Celestia's mind. The princess paused mid bite, her lower jaw hanging open slightly as she took a moment to think on the matter. After a bit, she closed her mouth and set her half finished tart down. 

"Luna is correct. However, rather than protecting us, I believe the REA should focus its efforts toward protecting the citizens. Continuity of government is a secondary concern. We have councils, advisers, administration and any number of other public offices that can lead this country in our absence. It is more important that our citizens be protected. And if nothing else, the REA should be able to evacuate them in an emergency, getting them clear of danger. That being said, yes Equestria does have a precedent for turning ordinary ponies into great heroes. To that end, perhaps it is time we employed some of those heroes to lead the REA. To train and mold them into a force that can help repel attack or protect our citizens from harm. Perhaps ponies that have combat experience, or ponies that have dealt with things we don't normally see. Ponies with experience in.... matters outside the normal for our guards."

She was speaking more openly, than at anyone. The solar princess was trying to think of ideas that might alleviate the situation without causing too much disruption to both the REA and the society as a whole. "Maybe we could look into a more advanced training regimen? Something to promote more mental preparedness while maintaining physical discipline."

2w6dy09.jpg

Princess Cadence wondered if there was anything going down between Luna and Celestia, but there was little time to ponder that as the subject turned towards... radical military reform. Siiiigh; this had been a talking point back at the last Princess Summit, and the one before that. Before long, Twily would likely propose a new way to reorganize various REA assets into a new task force or what not. Because like her beloved libraries, Twi believed a government or military was only as good as the number of times it gets periodically reorganized in the name of enhanced efficiency.

...But that's neither here nor there. Although married to a soldier herself, Cadence had never been one to believe that Equestria's specific defense issues were solvable by throwing more money at them or otherwise assuming that better training regimens will work as silver arrows to whatever crisis-of-the-month was on everypony's mind. Equestria — Crystal Empire included — was a special realm where the usual rules of realpolitik and military doctrine didn't apply. The love alicorn wondered sometimes if her fellow princesses remembered that.

It was after Celestia offered her words that Cadence spoke what was currently on her mind. "...Does anypony here know about miniature wargaming?" Twily was probably the one pony in the room who understood, her brother being a gamer and all. "It's basically like how generals move around figures on a map to plot war strategies, but as a hobby."

A pause followed. "So anyway, my husband Shining Armor is into these miniature wargames, and he buys and paints his own minis to play on tabletops. One weekend he was home after inspecting our Empire's frontier posts, I found him messing around with his minis, and I noticed how some figures were big enough to take up an entire base, while others were small enough that multiple ones could fit on a base together. I asked him about that, and he explained to me that the small minis were for this strategic army game called Battleline: Neighpoleon, and the bigger minis were depicting heroes for this other tabletop game called Eternity, which apparently is very popular in the gaming scene. Honestly I was kinda lost the whole time... and heh heh, I think I'm losing all of you too."

Cadence took a moment to smile bashfully. "The point being, Shiny kept on yammering for ages, but there was one thing he mentioned that day which stuck with me. Those smaller minis; they represented organized fighters... soldiers, basically. An individual soldier isn't capable of much by themselves; they rely on numbers, discipline, and teamwork to complete their objectives. Then you got the bigger minis; our warriors if you will. Warriors depend on their individual attributes: strength, shock, morale, heroism, and what-not to carry the day."

The pink alicorn grew more somber. "From what I'm hearing so far, you all seem to be asking for more warriors in our army, and that's fine and all... but being a warrior isn't something you can train most ponies to be. And the fact is, most of the ponies we call our heroes don't want to live a soldier's life. Otherwise, they would have enlisted in the military already. Aside from the few heroes we've managed to recruit into EPIC, they're generally just normal ponies wanting to live normal lives."

"I suppose it couldn't hurt to make military training more comprehensive, but we have to ask ourselves this. If we enact all the band-aid reforms we propose today, are we STILL going to find ourselves bemoaning the significant weakness of our defense forces the next time we gather together at one of these princess summits?"

Luna's concern was very well placed. The REA and Guard had, from a layman's point of view, failed time and time again. It wasn't that simple of course. The sort of enemies they had faced in the most public of ways were things that they couldn't really be trained or equipped to fight. What could they do against Tirek? What could they do against the winter-spirit of Sombra? But while there were some enemies they would never be fully equipped or trained to fight, there were others they should have been able to. The Storm King was the most egregious example. Many officers had been sacked after the REA had been led into the Everfree forest on a wild goose chase by a spy of Tempest Shadow's, leaving Canterlot incredibly ill-defended. What garrison there was and what Guards were around were overwhelmed by the scale of the event and unable to react to the attack. Better training and funding would be required.

Blueblood did have an excellent point, of course. Equestria's best and brightest tended to be fiercely independent as well. Perhaps there was something to this? It was well known that an Equestrian's base social attitude and characteristic was one of good nature, humor, and harmony. Maybe those who excelled under such dire circumstances, while still holding to such beliefs, had something...harder, underneath the surface? She was reluctant to call it bravery or anything of the like since that would be untrue. But those who struck out on their own showed a certain boldness of spirit that made Equestria safer for their actions. Equestria produced heroines in good number, and perhaps Blueblood was right: This was a strength, their own unique one at that. It didn't mean that the REA shouldn't be given a nice work-over since heroes and heroines couldn't be everywhere, but it did mean that one could always be confident in Equestria's survival at the end of the day.

Celestia's words were...well not disquieting, but as somepony who had been a feverishly loyal subject long before she had been an equally loyal colleague, the idea that the REA and Guard would not prioritize Celestia and Luna's safety was anathema. But she kept those words chained and hidden for now, as they were neither here nor there. The idea of asking heroes to lead was a new one. It could work out in interesting ways, the values they held onto leaking into the units they led. How many of them would even want to do it, however? And of those who would want to, how many would Twilight even consider leader material? Not enough to make direct leadership roles worthwhile. But that didn't mean that they couldn't contribute in some way, even distantly.

Cadance started talking about Battleline and while what she was talking about was very important Twilight could only allow her brain to focus in on some of her gripes with the system. She kept on telling her brother that Eternity was clearly the better game because of the complexity yet elegance of the system but Battleline had a much flashier presentation and marketing campaign. Oh well. She still enjoyed Battleline. And Cadance's larger point was well-founded. Warriors, or heroes, were great to have but they were born, not trained. Hardship revealed them but never made them. Part of that process also tended to make them harder to use in part of a machine. EPIC's troubles were indicative of that. Her final words also struck true. No doubt they'd be back here again someday lamenting military weakness. Such was the nature of being the target, the one and only it seemed, of this world's most absurd threats.

“The issue is...difficult. More difficult than we'd like to admit. Luna, you are right to be concerned. At a base level, it can't hurt to review training procedures that aren't working, increase the minuscule budget, and review REIN and see whether it is still doing its job. I would also recommend asking for advisors from Saddle Arabia, Neighpon, and Acroneighos. They all have highly professional and effective military forces with strengths I believe we can learn from. But I think we have to acknowledge that to some degree the REA will always be insufficient to deal with certain threats, such as Tirek and attackers of a similar pedigree.

In such situations, Celestia is right. The primary goal of the REA should be evacuation and continuance of government. But...I do disagree on one point, Celestia. It is very important for the REA and Guard to protect you and Luna, perhaps their most important duty of all. The reason is very simple. Everypony looks to you two for guidance and 
play a central role in Equestrian life. If you two fall, the morale of the nation plummets, including amongst the military. As long as you two are around and not captured I think the REA is capable of the most wonderful things. Take you two out of the equation and everything unravels.

Of course, you two,”
this time nodding to both Blueblood and Celestia,”are right in saying heroes are central to what we do best. No amount of military force or intelligence can stop some of our enemies, but our heroes always will. At least...for now. I can't speak for others but I can only speak to my experiences in the middle of one of these events and as one of these 'heroines'. It is always terrifying and often very close. On more than one occasion Equestria has been saved by the actions of a specific pony in a split second or by sheer luck. I think heroes have a lot to offer us. EPIC is an example of how such heroes can be used, and I think that it would be possible to utilize the gestalt experience of heroes in some manner to help the REA. But between personalities and their own sense of freedom, I'm not sure it would be possible to get them directly involved outside of loose organizations like EPIC. Still, we can utilize this to help the REA. Use them as inspiration.

Which brings me to this final point.
Cadance is right. We can't make warriors and there is no guarantee that what we'll do today will ensure the safety of Equestria in the future. But...well, I'm sure Shining Armor knows this example, but when they went from the second edition of Battleline to the third, they introduced a system called leadership points. You had a certain amount of these points based on the type of figures in your army. You used them to buff your units or debuff your opponents,” her expression soured, “which made it really difficult to face Shining since he always played that overpowered Generalismo combination with Neighponese pegasi which didn't make sense in the fluff at all but-” she took a deep sigh, “sorry, sorry. My point was that leadership from the top can do wonders, and that can start with us. We don't need to take to the field today and find enemies to fight, but as we've all said before, we can seem distant to ponies. That will include our guards. Along with all of our other changes we can implement, being more active with our guard, with the REA, can familiarize us with how they operate and create a deeper bond. And if there is one thing we all know, it is that Equestrians who share deep bonds and have deep beliefs are capable of anything!”

Princess Luna made a soft noise in her throat while the others discussed her proposal and her wings lifted a little in the folded positions at her sides. She glanced towards Celestia, and caught the worry on her elder's face. "I'm not saying that we try to make heroes or warriors of our Royal Guard. I'm not looking for either. I only wish to train them better and prepare them. I know our country is largely peaceful, and it leaves everything to be quite.. lax, but we cannot let them be soft. It was too easy for the Storm King's armies to invade and enslave our citizens. I only want to see our guard as better fighters, protecting those who cannot protect themselves and ensuring ponies are evacuated to safe places." Luna strove to explain what it was she meant amidst the chatter of heroes and adventurers and enlisting Daring Do's help.

She quieted, paying attention again while Princess Cadance spoke of games, the details of which ended up lost on Luna, and a frown slowly made its way over her lips again. Bemoaning their defenses the next princess summit? They would likely be bemoaning many things. "It will not be so quick and easy to change what has been done for quite a few centuries, and I acknowledge that we may never be fully prepared for the next villain to come knocking down our doors, but at least we can try," she argued.

Luna turned to Twilight, hearing her out regardless, though she tried to tune out the little details about the board game Princess Cadance mentioned moments ago. "I think, with the Elements and its bearers, as well as what 'heroes' you've cultivated from those you befriended has been doing quite well for Equestria. This EPIC sounds as though it has been as much help. We would be wise to use it the next time something happens, but my other point is that we should try to be prepared to protect our citizens." She exhaled softly. "I will agree, that if my sister and I were more present, it would help. I'm hesitant to ask for help from the countries you've listed, although involving them may do well for our international bonds, I.. would like to get involved in training them myself, if I can. Out of the two of us, I've always been the more combat inclined."

Celestia took it all in, listening and letting her quill take the notes. As she did, she stood and moved to a back corner of the room. There was a book case, old and dusty. A remnant form the old palace, and one Luna would know very well. Celestia stood by it as she listened, nodding to each in their turn and understanding their concerns. Cadence and Blueblood made valid points. One could not expect a pony to suddenly change their lives and become a soldier, and table top maps with markers were indeed a key pointer in how these events played out. A common pony could become a hero in their own right when presented with a situation. 

Twilight spoke with a wisdom beyond her years, and Celestia had to give her the credit of it. Leadership from the very top was paramount in any military situation. And Celestia had put it off for almost 1000 years. She had forgone combat, hating it from what happened between her sister and herself. However, there was a time to mourn the past, and a time to let it go. The princess used her magic to pull a book part way from the shelf. The wall shook softly, and the shelf slid to the side. A hidden storage rack slid out, and upon it was a set of armor Celestia had not worn in so long she forgot what it looked like. Taking her pike from the stand, she came to the table and set it down gently. Dusty as it was, it still gleamed in the light. 

"You are all correct. Luna you are more combat oriented than myself, but if I remember correctly our sparring lessons were quite intense. Your speed and command of spells exceeds even my own in battle. Twilight, your point of commanding from the top is indeed a valid concern. And I believe you are right in that we should lead. However I did not mean that the REA would abandon myself and Luna completely... More than they would ensure the safety of the citizens first, and then join us in battle. And Cadence, while I have not had time for more than the occasional game of bridge in the last few centuries, I think you have a valid point in how these games can show us something." 

Taking up her pike again she stood to her full height, "The days of myself being ushered away from danger are over. I have taken no active role in defending this nation in some time. If our military strength is to change, then let it change with us first. I have no delusions of easy victories or simple battles. However I will stay my hoof form the defense of our kingdom no longer. If we are to lead, we should lead in the field." Standing there, she made no pose nor glorious speech. But a resolution. She spoke of helping to defend the nation the lived in, rather than hoping their military could be better trained. "I think our citizens should be reminded Luna, that we were their first defenders, and that we have not forgotten that. Even as princesses, we can not, and should not allow other ponies to fight our battles for us. Rather they should fight along side us in defense of the land we all call home."

Bluebelle, for her part, felt that she had contributed as much as she could towards the subject at hoof, which was pretty vague, in any case.  Still, both Cadence and Twilight had picked up on her suggested idea of encouraging and cultivating a cadre of heroes, even though it went beyond Luna's initial idea.  She couldn't keep from snickering slightly at the lavender alicorn's remarks on 'bonding between her and the guard.'  "Oh, I could tell you a thing or two about that, for sure..."

Her chuckles were halted, along with her breathing for a moment, once Auntie Celestia dropped her bombshell.  The unicorn's mouth hung open for moment, as her brain tried to catch up with the world.  To her credit, it did manage to get back into the pilot seat before she said anything foolish like, 'But you can't!', 'Are you crazy?', or 'Bet you look hot in that outfit, haha.'  A few deep breaths, and she was ready to engage with reality again.  "Oh... my.  Well, that's certainly a change.  Though, I suppose it's only a return to the old role you used to play, and that Twilight plays now as a Princess, come to think of it."  Her eyes went to Cadence, who while less militant, formed a formidable team with her husband.

Which only left... herself.  The least militarily competent or personally capable in a fight, not to mention the only non-alicorn.  Once again, she began to feel the old inferiority complex rise up as she sank back down in her chair.  "Well, I guess if that's the plan, then... good luck to you."

• 2 weeks later...

Even Luna hardly expected Celestia to move aside the aged bookshelf, one she did indeed recognize, with the pull of a single book, revealing dusty golden armor and a single pike. Nor did she expect her sister to take up the disused weapon and carry it back to the table and so boldly announce that she would be passive no longer. It would be a return to how it used to be, with the alicorn sisters as Equestria's guardians.

It was something Luna felt that she could appreciate. Why should they sit idly by while danger threatens Equestria? Princess Twilight and her friends have had so much put on their shoulders as it was, while her sister and herself were often swept aside, kidnapped, turned to statue.. They could've easily done something to avoid it, yet they'd grown soft enough while other ponies strove to take care of the threat that they were always caught unawares. It was something that rankled Luna each time that it happened.

"I do agree, we should become more active. There are other ponies in this government you built that should be capable of handling the more.. social aspect of your duties. A contest on whose flowers smell best, really." The dark alicorn rolled her eyes. "It has no importance beyond a pony gaining bragging rights and it's a waste of our time." Exhaling softly, her teal eyes flicked towards Bluebelle, catching the change in her mood; from a playful comment about the guards to something that was unenthusiastic. Her head cocked. "Is something the matter, Bluebelle?" Luna queried, curious.

They still had to hear out the concerns of the other princesses, and if Luna could remember correctly amidst the lengthy discussions they'd had thus far, she was sure Princess Cadance was the last to speak. They had time to see what Cadance had brought to the table, but Luna couldn't help but look into what was troubling Bluebelle.

2w6dy09.jpg

Aside from having to hold off giggles during Twilight's gaming tangent and Bluebelle's smart alec remarks, there appeared little else that Princess Cadence could contribute to the current subject. That was, until Princess Celestia brought out a couple dust-covered blasts from Equestria's past. Honestly, seeing her Auntie wielding that tall pike made the Love Alicorn feel quite tense. Not that she was terrified of Celestia mind you, but Cadence couldn't help but wonder if her elder princess was maybe overcompensating a little?

But it was comments from Luna which finally drove Cadence to reenter the conversation with vigor. "Now just wait a minute, Luna!" She took an unfaltering tone; "So maaaaybe you don't care much for flower shows or ribbon cutting ceremonies or... well, nearly every other daytime activity, *COUGH*. However, it's important that ordinary ponies see us not just in our lofty throne rooms or on the battlefield," Cadence briefly glanced Celestia's way; "But out there at these little everyday events. Although I may not have been a princess as long as you or Celestia, it's my experience that going to these so-called 'wastes of time' — and being able to share in the same kindness and love with everypony else — is what endears us to our subjects more than anything else... which ultimately helps everyone to continue having faith in everything Equestria stands for!"

Finally it was time to address Aunt Tia. "If you REALLY believe that only proactive force will keep our land safe," Cadence's vocal skepticism was more than obvious; "Well then, nopony's gonna stop you. Just keep in mind that no one — not even you — can govern Equestria while leading armies from the front. We're only equine, after all. And let's not kid ourselves; you're the only pony with the experience to run an entire kingdom, Celestia. Who's supposed to fill in your horse shoes?"

Twilight studied the armor closely. She couldn't remember exactly where, but she had seen this armor before in the history books. It wasn't seen in so long that it had passed into the realm of those items once considered to be in existence but at some point destroyed. The fact it continued to exist, though locked away, spoke to a certain reluctance to entirely forego the needs of the past. It was brave of Celestia, even honorable, to speak of leading from the front. Of course in action this would have to be different. She was so obvious a target and recent history replete with examples of her own fallibility that she would not only be targeted first but could quite easily become overwhelmed. The confidence in the need for it in her voice, however? Well, Twilight knew better than most present with the exception perhaps of Luna that it meant that in Celestia's head certain actions were going to be taken.

She had Luna and Bluebelle's support. Bluebelle was never one for such actions herself so her support was more of a distant sort of deal. The sort of support you'd get from family who didn't quite understand why you felt the need to do a thing, but were gonna give you the support you needed regardless. Luna was more on board with the whole idea, which made sense. The histories of the time always portrayed her as more direct in many matters, those of the militant type included. No doubt she would support vehemently the idea of leading from the front. Of course, it was paired up with her disdain for the social elements of the Princesshood. In this, Twilight disagreed with Luna. She was about to tell the Princess of the Night what she thought when somepony else beat her to the punch.

Cadance responded with a good deal of ferocity, even if was understated and nicer sounding coming from the Princess of Love. Still, it was hard for every word she spoke to not hold one's attention because of her tone. Twilight agreed with the substance of it. The day to day small activities of the Princesses were what made them endearing and beloved to such a degree by the ponies of Equestria. It was what made them seem more real, more worthy of honest to goodness care and not just respect and the devotion their station demanded. Twilight knew this well. She had grown up in Canterlot and had seen first hoof how ponies treated Celestia and knew why. Cadance then turned to Celestia and her scepticism of the wisdom of leading in such a manner was apparent. When she got to asking who would lead in Celestia's absence, Twilight felt a shiver run down her spine. It then stayed her, made her feel uncomfortable, and led her to decide that it was time to move on to something better. Anything, really.

“I think we might need to step back a little,” Twilight interjected before it went further, “and take a break from such topics. We've certainly covered a lot of ground so far. Anything more of such substance and we're bound to start missing details. Let's eat, chat, and just be each other's friends for a little bit, and not just colleagues,” Twilight said as she started drinking her tea and eating her crackers, or whatever else was there. She was just setting an example. And part of setting an example was taking the lead, so she would do so.

“So...I had a question. About a relationship. Kinda. Sort of. Not really? Hard to explain. Then again, he is hard to explain.”

Celestia fell to silence, and sent her pike back to the armor stand. She looked in turn at the three foals at the table. Though when and how she came to see them as foals.... was she really so old and grown so used to sitting on her flank that she looked at even adults as foals? Perhaps she had been in the palace too long. 

As she sipped her tea, Twilight changed the subject. They were terrified of losing her. It bothered her and her eyes drifted to Luna. The gave her sister a 'we shall discuss this later' sort of look before returning her focus to the conversation. 

Her quill had long since stopped writing, and lay still. It seemed that Twilight might have relationship issues. That would fall to Cadence, since she was the princess of Love. Celestia had no experience to offer and no wise words about such things. She had been busy. None the less, she listened in, partly curious and partly to get her mind off the fact that most of the ponies in Equestria literally still couldnt live without her.

Bluebelle had been about to answer Auntie Luna's question when Cadence had her outburst.  The unicorn didn't mind that too much, however, as it gave credence to her own objections, whose subtle hints the Night Princess had picked up on.  Nodding solemnly to the Princess of Love's points, she voiced her support, "Not to mention, Auntie, that attitude does rather belittle those of us who can only carry those sort of royal duties.  It is a hard thing for a Princess to be made to feel as if she is of no real importance, after all."  And who ought to know that better than Luna?  Bluebelle did not voice the last question, only let it be implied.  She didn't think her Auntie meant to hurt her, but the remark had stung.

Her personal funk was broken into, though, by Cadence's next question.  Indeed, who could take over the government, in the sister's absence?  It would require a pony with experience in administration, or at least access to competent secretaries.  Not to mention, a talent for glad-hoofing the high and mighty among the Canterlot nobility, as well as foreign dignitaries.  One in the public eye long enough for them to have gotten used to the idea... *Dare I hope?*  Bluebelle looked up at Auntie Celestia, contriving to look at once innocent and wise.

However, it seemed Twilight wanted a break from politics, moving on to more social talk.  It was a slight disappointment, but her choice of topics was not unwelcome.  Quite the opposite, in fact.  "Oh!  Do, lets!  I have a few things I'd like to talk about myself, on the subject.  I'll let you go first, though."

Princess Luna took a slow breath and fixed Cadance with her teal gaze after the pink princess's outburst. "I have no wish to do away with the more social aspects of our duties completely. 'Tis not what I meant. I only wish a few of them were delegated to others. I say what I do for my sister's sake, as she seems to have the busiest schedule of us all. I've seen some of it for myself the one day that I had to take her place, and I speak of the more frivolous of it: judging the best flowers, or the best cakes.. Anypony who is a certified judge with good standing could do that instead and leave her schedule a little freer to focus on other things." Striving to clear up the misunderstanding, Luna tried to fully explain what it was she'd meant by her blunt scoff. It was a misjudgement on her part to think that any but Celestia would understand.

Or perhaps it was just her, the least social of the four other princesses within the room.

"I understand the importance of some of it, such as holding court to settle disputes and issues among our citizens, overlooking grand events like the Friendship Festival, or being a representative of the Traders Exchange, or the Grand Equestrian Pony Summit. I understand that our presence is required, and that it's a good thing that our duties should include social events such as these so that we are actually visible, that it's important for us as leaders to mingle with those we rule."

Luna tried to get in the last of what she had to say about it and fell quiet, looking to Bluebelle with a little frown still lingering around her muzzle. "It is not my intent to belittle," she replied quietly, her ears flattening back against her mane.

Her attention shifted to Twilight's interjection and she was glad enough to allow for the topic change and leaned back in her chair with a soft sigh, feeling a little regret. She would not lie about how she felt, though she could sometimes be blunt with her honesty to the point of causing hurt- trying to balance on that thin line was still something she struggled with from time to time. But, perhaps it was best she kept it to herself around those like Bluebelle. She glanced down at her forgotten tea and away to Twilight, her head twitching up ever so slightly over the mention of a relationship. She might've seen glimpses of Twilight's dreams, but there were certain dreams she would not touch nor dare to look in on.

"What is your question?"

• 2 weeks later...

2w6dy09.jpg

Princess Cadence's concerns were, ultimately, never addressed. Nopony ever wanted to imagine a world without Princess Celestia standing tall as the light in the darkness. Hence, it was frowned upon to discuss matters of royal succession in polite company. Of course, Equestria's princesses WOULD have to decide something one day, but-

Wait, hold the presses! Twily... is asking about A RELATIONSHIP??? Cady spent almost a quarter of her life pining for the magical day when her Little Sister-in-Law Best Friend Forever's heart was finally pierced by Love's Arrow. In a blink of an eye, it seemed to the naked eye that the pink alicorn had suddenly rematerialized right in front of Twilight, her beaming unblinking eyes mere inches from those of the lavender mare's.

"PLEASE TWILIGHT," Cadence implored with the sing-song eldritchness of somepony without a soul to their crazed smile, and who was certainly going to gossip to any loved one she encountered about what was just about to transpire. "TELL ME EVERYYYTHIIIIIING." And no, this certainly wasn’t creepy in any way, nope.....

Celestia didn't react to Twilight's topic in any way. Maybe that was for the best. She didn't know if she could refuse advice from Celestia on any given topic and Twilight was lost in the weeds enough to listen to whatever she said on it. Was it Celestia's forte? No, not at all, but...it was Celestia. She couldn't refuse her. Luna had responded but was reserved, as was her way. Twilight had worried about what Luna had seen of Twilight's dreams but the reserved response, lacking a certain playfulness to it, told Twilight that had dreams had been private enough in this regard. Twilight was thankful for this. Her dreams were as could be expected of somepony in the throes of the initial stages of a relationship. Everything was perfect, including him, in her dreams. And in her dreams...so was she. Would be terrible to think her dreams had an audience, but the thought hadn't escaped her.

Bluebelle was clearly interested. Even Blueblood would be. Endless gossip had to originate somewhere, right? Plus she even had something to add on in this realm. That would be good. Twilight was happy to change the subject to something less immediately depressing than royal succession and the implications that had when the de-facto ruler of the nation had no known age-based mortality. But any real thought Twilight had floating in her head regarding the others was obliterated totally, utterly erased in the flash of a second.
Twilight was pretty certain Cadance didn't teleport. Over but she may as well have. In fact, she knew Cadance hadn't because behind the Princess of Love came a small boom of sound and fury that knocked Twilight back against her chair and sent the teacup flying. And then the eyes, the voice- it was the scariest thing Twilight had ever seen in her life and in that moment she knew the face of doom.

She thanked herself for not drinking much or eating because if she had, well, it would have been messier. She felt like she was being compelled to speak as if she were an animal and Fluttershy was using the Stare to compel action. There were a few more seconds of silence as Twilight tried and failed to recompose herself, and allow Cadance to realize how completely insane she looked.
Finally, her innate self-control won out and Twilight took a deep breath, a single hoof on Cadance's shoulder as Twilight started to gently push her sister-in-law away. “Okay, I'll tell you everything...as long as you never do that again. That was horrifying.”

When she had a little space, Twilight took a deep breath, coughed, and tried to forget what had just happened. “His name is Daedalus, a unicorn expert in the arcane from Kastrot. He has had it...less than easy, to say the least, and has worked hard in very dangerous fields. Now he lives here in Equestria, and you'd think he would be able to be happier than he is. And maybe...maybe he could be, if I wasn't such a coward. I know how he feels. I think he knows how I feel, too. But neither one of us seems to want to say it or push for it. I'm...scared. Not of a relationship, but for him. His work is dangerous, and I feel like I would just make it more so if I complicated it. So what should I do?”

What Twilight left out was what his work was, for it had been kept totally secret thus far. He was a Keeper, one of Twilight's chosen few who hunted down magical artifacts and took possession of them, then returned it to an extra-dimensional space she had created called The Keep for Twilight to study such objects away from Equestria being harmed. The danger of the relics themselves varied but was invariably more dangerous than not messing with artifacts would be. The other element of danger were those who sought to take the artifacts themselves. Daedalus' mastery of the dark arts kept him safe, but he hadn't been made a specific target just yet...which is what Twilight worried would happen if they went further than they had.

Celestia set her cup down softly. Looking at Twilight, she had a very... different look in her eyes. One that only her sister had ever seen before. She looked, but said nothing for at least three minutes before levitating the tea pot. Her face only said, she didnt know what to say. 

Relationships were not hers to discern. Nor had she any experience of them. But then being the only princess for ten centuries had taken up so much of her time she could only imagine falling for a pony that lived as long as she did. 

Then there was the fact she was a princess as well. Duty always came before personal desires. Always. Celestia looked down at that thought, her calm expression shifting to one of thought. Did it have to be this way? Were they objects now? Items on a pedastal? 

Celestia dismissed it as thoughts for later. Turning her attention back to Twilight. Listening to the details would give her something to think on. So Twilight was having feelings for a pony from Kastrot, and scared she might make him make a mistake in his dangerous spell work. 

Celestia could see a dozen solutions. Though none of them likely to be appealing to Twilight and her stallion of interest. Perhaps she might glean more details if she listened longer.

Archived