Celestia's Grand Birthday (Open - see OOC)

BeGoneThots

The sight of King Sombra strutting across the middle of the party and kissing her sister square on the lips was a baffling sight- Luna hadn't any idea that they were.. this close. Celestia had told her she fancied Sombra earlier that day, back at their old castle, but this- to see it, was still quite a shock. Seeing the king in a setting like this in general was still.. startling. The only time she'd ever interacted with him was fighting him for the Crystal Empire with Celestia. Now he stood here among them casually, embracing her sister and staring up into Celestia's blushing face with a certain softness that Luna never would've expected to see on his.

The voices of the others and the twins' telepathic questions washed over the stunned alicorn until she finally registered that they were speaking and tore her teal eyes away from the lovestruck pair to focus on them. "Y-Yes, it is my sister's birthday," the moon princess replied, struggling to hold back a frown when they'd asked if she was the one who'd made the mistake. "No, I did not. That would be my sister's doing, as she made the invitations." Luna spared a look for her sister, making an effort to ignore Sombra, though her eyes did curiously linger over Ice Storm and Raven's closeness with a curiosity before her attention returned to the twin ponies.

"Indeed? I.." Luna trailed off, surprised by what she'd been told. It wasn't just their lack of voices, but their expressed interest in attending her own party, if she had one. "Well.. I was considering it, but I was not entirely certain if I would. Perhaps, I might. It is.. fascinating that you speak the way that you do. A clever use of your magic."

In the midst of this conversation, of which Sombra paid little attention to when all of his was on Celestia, the umbrum moved to rest his side against Celestia's with one of his trademark smirks. "How could I help myself?" he replied with a low rumble, "I was excited to join this little party of yours and offer you the best present I could possibly give to you: myself." He chose that moment to look over at Ice Storm and Raven, delighted to see their reactions to his display- Raven's little spit-take especially. The strange twin ponies hadn't even seemed to register his entrance in the least, something that mildly disappointed him. "So, you want to redeem me?" Sombra asked Raven, a dark brow arching as his eyes swept away from the twins. Movement near him caught his eye, and he found the foal he'd spotted before staring up at him- at least for the briefest time before they wandered off. The question what's with the kid? lingered on his tongue, but he never thought to ask it as the foal approached their next party guest. Even Luna's eyes followed the little filly's wandering for a moment, after being looked up at.

Sombra recognized him, and took a moment to recall his name, Thunderbuck, while Luna only saw another mysterious stranger, one who she couldn't help seeing a little of Sombra in.. somehow. Mostly the coloration and the horn. "Welcome," the dark princess greeted. Sombra merely looked on, curious, before his attention shifted back to Celestia and the others, with Ice briefly gaining the focus of his attention.

"Don't think I'm lying about anything now, do you?" Sombra teasingly asked as he turned in place, his gaze flitting away towards an object of Celestia's focus: the cake. And, there was the sun, which he only watched the lowering path of out of the corner of his eye. In the other direction, the moon slowly rose as Luna chose the moment to bring it forth. It fascinated the former tyrant to watch it.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ice Storm was a bit bummed to hear that the research on the crystals wasn't going to well. She wondered if there was a way that she could help while she was here. She could talk to Luna or Celestia later about possible getting access to the crystal caves that were under Canterlot Mountain. If they knew it was to help with some research on a potential break through in magic, as well as medical properties if they worked for what Raven was looking for, that they would give her permission to go down there. That would have to be something that they would have to discuss later though. Tonight wasn't a night for business talks. "I'll see if there's anything I can help with and send some ponies in that direction. I've got faith in what you can do," she smiled

From there, she shifted her thoughts to the princess, and the other two guests. She had to admit, they way they spoke was interesting. It wasn't something that she would have expected that magic could be used for. She didn't see why it couldn't but it was just one of those things that she probably would have never thought of if she hadn't seen it. Listening to them talk though, it seemed like they had a bit of the... nobilistic attitude that she usually disliked. At least the one of them did. The other seemed a bit more down to Equestria. They mentioned they would be interested in attending Luna's party as well if she were to have one. "I believe that would make three of us. After all, if you had a party you know I would be present," she smiled as Sombra and Celestia walked back over, Sombra not wasting the opportunity to take a jab at her from their meeting.

"I can honestly say that it wasn't something that I was expecting, but there are some things that I am perfectly happy being proven wrong on," she spoke to him. She hoped that this trend would continue. She wasn't going to voice that aloud however. Not with how the princess had reacted to his greeting. She was certain that she would at least understand the hesitation on him, but at the same time, it would likely raise the question of how they knew each other. She was thankful that she was wearing her new guard armor at the time because she could easily play it off as a meeting at the end of a watch. That way she wouldn't have to bring up STAR if she didn't have to. That and she couldn't help but notice the filly was with them and the arrival of another pony. It was yet another pony that she recognized. It was Thunderbuck from the meeting. She gave him a smile and a wave before beckoning him over. "Feel free to come over and join us! We don't bite I promise!" she giggled watching as Celestia lowered the sun.

If her dress stood out in the sun though, it shimmered even more in the moonlight. After all, the dress was made specifically for evening events. the moonlight danced off of the sequins with every shift and movement that she made, accenting the dark colors in the dress even more. The fact that the event was taking place under the stars made her happy. It wasn't any offense to Celestia, but the moon and stars, for reasons that Luna well knew, always appealed to her more. AS the cake and all of the treats began to roll out, she knew that everypony was in for a good time.

Raven nodded her thanks to Ice. "Thanks, Icy... Any help you can give is more than enough." She said in an affectionate tone, as a warm smile slid softly onto her face. Suddenly, she stiffened when Sombra addressed her.

"I... you! You know that's not what I mean! We've been over that... It's just hard to describe the concept of allowing somepony to live in peace to see if they won't harm others succinctly." Raven said, her tone going from mock upset, to a more playful one. "Sorry I haven't had time to see ya after my trip to the Crystal Empire, Sombra... I have some really good news about that actually. But as I was saying, in case you didn't over hear all of it, was that it was a matter that could be discussed later, when we're not celebrating." 

Raven watched with rapt attention to the ceding of the sun to the moon, her horn faintly twinkling as the light dimmed. It wasn't the only thing, as Icy's beautiful dress began to sparkle, the soft rays of light seeming to, at least to Raven's eye, trace her form. The soft muscle, the tensing of her legs as she shifted slightly while standing, even the way her mane moved in the light breeze. Raven was almost drooling, her mind absent for the second time that evening...

This place would get crowded soon. While not something that would be that big of a problem- she hoped, they were still more used to small groups as was the nature of their occupation. Was that King Sombra? Placidity had heard about him, the stuff he did, and she had also heard other things recently. It seemed that everything was alright though. "Is that Sombra? That Sombra? The Sombra? Of the Crystal Empire?" 

"It would appear so. Seems nothing's wrong. Nothing to be alarmed about, even if it is within your extra duties in the Twilight Auxilliary," Tranquility replied looking around herself. She was mostly focusing on Luna for the moment. "So it's your sister to blame for the mistake? I guess she gets a pass because it's her birthday. Really, it's only a single letter, one which is of similar form to it's successor. Is our telepathy really that clever? I would have thought more ponies would do it, albeit, not as often of course. I should study that. We always knew we got a boost from our natural connection, so I want to know if it applies to other twins too. Besides communication, it really helped us with our profession. It seems to be much easier for clients to understand us if we're speaking directly into their mind."

Celestia offered them drinks. Of course, it wouldn't be a party without some. But what drinks would they ask for? Placidity was assuming Celestia was referring to alcohol right? But maybe it was a bit too early for that? She would have to ask. "We're not really big into drinking, so forgive us if we do not understand the terms. But what would you recommend? Alcohol or not, it shouldn't really matter in this circumstance. Living in Ponyville has given us a sort of preference for cider, but that would be a bit boring now wouldn't it?" 

Celestia smiled softly at Placidity and Tranquility. "We have both if you like. Juice, lemonade, water, and tea. As well as a sampling of wine," the princess said softly as she motioned to one of the waiters. He came over with a tray, carrying a few drinks on it. "I understood that everyone would have different tastes, so I asked the chefs to provide a variety of things for us to drink, and to eat. This way no pony is left out." Tia levitated a small glass of wine for herself and for Sombra, offering it to him with a gentle smile. She saw from the corner of her eye another pony approaching. As she looked to him, she noticed he was roughly the same size as Luna, maybe a bit bigger. He was certainly well built, and carried with him instruments in his saddle bags. Was he an entertainer of sorts? A musician or traveling performer? His appearance certainly looked....wild. When was the last time he had seen a brush or comb? 

Thunderbuck approached Luna, giving a small but polite bow to her. "Thank you princess. I hope I am not too late. I was a little slow getting my things together. May I ask.. who's party is it? The invitation did not say," he said in his soft, melodic voice. It was as if he were singing instead of talking. As he stopped beside Luna, he looked up at the sky, as if looking at the stars. There was not much to him really. After a moment he looked back to them, and his horn lit up with a sparkling green magic. His instruments floated out one by one, seven of them in all. A violin, a trumpet, a drum, a saxophone, a small xylophone, a keyboard, and a flute. 

Caramel watched in amazement as he pulled so many things from his saddle bags. She peeked into them when he set them down, trying to see what was in them, but they looked normal. Buck noticed and smiled. "Its enchanted. It allowed me to put many things inside, but I cant fit all my instruments in there. I wish I could though!" He chuckled as she moved to the side and set up a bit. If he was here for a party, he could at least provide them some entertainment. 

Caramel watched him setting up, amazed at how he could do so much with just magic. He looked big and strong, like he could easily move it all by hoof. Maybe he could, and just wanted to use magic to save time? She didn't know and went back to sipping her juice. Looking up at Luna and the twins, she remained silent. Just watching them talk a bit. Once Buck had them all set up, he moved to speak to Ice. "My my, you look lovely in your dress. I believe it it might even be enchanted!"

Celestia watched the stallion setting up his instruments. He was...unusual. She watched him move to speak to Icy, which made her wonder if they were familiar with each other. Looking at Sombra for a moment, she returned her attention to the conversation. Old habits were hard to break, and being the host of all the parties in the palace had set her in the habit of greeting and watching all the guests. Though she had to stifle a giggle at Sombra and Raven's interactions. It was refreshing. And then she noticed Raven's eyes when she was looking at the beautiful dress Ice wore. Indeed it was gorgeous, but that look was more than just admiration of a dress. Celestia had to hide her smirk as she looked away to the filly again. The foal seemed quiet, likely still adjusting to the party. 

After a moment, Celestia moved away from them and came to the filly. "Are you having fun?" she asked softly. Caramel looked down again, hesitant of speaking. Tia sat herself on the grass and set her glass aside. Leaning down she spoke softly. "You aren't in trouble. And I have no desire to see such a sweet filly be so sad today. Is there something I can do for you?" "I... I'm okay. I just dont know any pony here." Tia nodded. "But you seemed to like the musician that came here?" she asked. Caramel looked up a bit, smiling. "He is nice. He speaks pretty. I like him," she said with a soft giggle. Tia smiled happily, nodding as she looked to the stallion. He did seem to speak in a strange way. A song like voice behind his words. 

A low chuckle rolled out of Sombra's throat after the way Ice and Raven responded to him; especially Raven. He moved closer to the pair, an eyebrow rising in interest. "I'll overlook your use of redeem if you tell me what this good news is. After all, it's just a casual little party for my dear Celestia, I'm sure we have time to discuss whatever this news is. How are things developing in the Crystal Empire for you?" he asked. He'd dropped the volume of his voice for only them to hear, and Celestia if the alicorn were to strain her hearing. When Sombra glanced her way, he was made aware of the conversation that'd been going on in the background of his focus between Celestia and the twin ponies.

Sombra gladly accepted the glass of wine that Celestia had levitated towards him and gave the princess a mischievous wink as he took a sip. His intense red gaze briefly slid back towards the twin mares, and past them towards Thunderbuck and Luna, before he returned his attention to Ice and Raven.

"Eh, tis only a little spelling mistake. Certainly nothing to worry about," Luna dismissed it, "but.. yes, I do consider it clever. I have never seen- or rather, heard- anypony use such a thing before to make up for the lack of a voice." Ponies usually fell back on other forms of communication if they couldn't be verbal, mostly through writing, and even nonverbal ponies were rare. "It certainly makes it easier to understand the pair of you when you speak- there is no chance that we can mishear something. And you two are the first pair of twins I have gotten the pleasure to meet," Luna said as she looked up towards their newest arrival as he approached her.

She couldn't help noticing how he was as tall as Sombra, if more muscular without looking overbuilt; however it was his height that impressed her, when it was so rare for there to be a pony as tall as either her or her sister. There were slight similarities she could draw between the two stallions, and she had only a few seconds to think it was odd before Thunderbuck's melodic voice finally caught her attention. "It is my sister, Celestia's, birthday today," Luna answered. She followed his gaze to the now starry night sky and looked back at him, studying what she could see of his emerald green eyes while he busied himself with pulling his instruments out of his enchanted saddlebags. "You are a musician?" the dark alicorn queried, though the answer was obvious from the sight of them. She made a noise in her throat, intrigued. Neither she or her sister planned on there being music at this party, but if somepony wanted to supply it.. then it would be nice to have.

In the ebb and flow of conversation, Sombra seated himself upon the grass and glanced back over at the other partygoers again, curiously noting Luna's interaction with Buck before he'd moved off to speak with Ice, and Sombra momentarily met Celestia's eyes. He couldn't help noticing the attention she gave the quiet little filly again, and reflected upon what they'd discussed in private during her vacation. If Celestia intended on asking him later about taking care of her.. Sombra couldn't begrudge her it during her birthday, though Celestia knew he had no interest in foals. The umbrum averted his eyes to Buck, who was complimenting Ice's dress. Sombra grunted softly, taking a sip of his wine.

Ice noted the reaction that Sombra had to her statement to him, and she heard him chuckle a bit. Apparently Raven at one point had used the word redeem and while Apparently Sombra disagreed with it, there was a degree of truth to what Raven was saying. After all, there are plenty of ponies whom are still wary of both Luna and Discord because of the things that they had done a thousand years ago. She wouldn't expect ponies to be any different regarding him. The twins appeared to be more interested in Princess Luna than anypony else and despite her comment thanking her Raven had been fairly quiet. When Ice looked to her she saw her staring at her almost drooling with her mouth open. Ice wouldn't waste the opportunity to lean in and give her marefriend a kiss on her snout. "Gotcha," she giggled as she heard Sombra, in a much quieter tone ask about how Raven's thing was developing.

"Slow, from what I've gather so far, but I'll be sending some resources her way. Might even go up there for a week or two myself at some point to see if I can help where I can. I've been doing a little bit of research on some similar areas that Raven has but with slightly different materials and methods. Perhaps we can cross reference some notes and be able to pust something in that way. Plus I'd be willing to let her study the spheres. Naturally I can't remove them to let her feel them, but there is a reason they are called Opalous Spheres. The spheres themselves are just opals, which is a form of crystal. Understanding how something like these works would go a long way in unlocking further secrets of other crystals," she responded Thunderbuck took her up on the invitation over.

She couldn't help but blush a bit when he complimented her dress and smile. "Oh, this? Nah, it isn't that much. Just a simple dress Rarity made for me a while back. I must admit though, I love how form fitting she made it, it shows off everything quite well, and I had her make it so it would pop even more at night,. There's no enchantments on it though that I am aware of at least. Necklace on the other hoof is heavily enchanted," she said with a smile. "I see you brought quite the assortment of instruments with you. I can't wait to hear you play all of them, especially after everything I've heard about your musical aptitude," she added hoping not to set too much expectations but still convey that she was excited.

Then there was the issue of the Filly that was still present. Ice would never call her an issue, but the fact that she recognized the expressions of the pony bothered her. She seemed to be conversing with Celestia at the moment so hopefully things would work themselves out, but there was no way in Tartartus that filly wasn't getting a roof tonight. Something that she would bring up with Raven before the end of the night. Granted they weren't living together yet, but it was still something that she should have input in. Right now she simply awaited responses.

Raven came back to her senses when Ice gave her a playful kiss. Shaking her head, she smiled at her marefriend. "I've... I'm... Wow. You look amazing, Icy..." She said, before blinking, and hearing Sombra. "While it is good news, it will take a while to discuss, and I don't think you want to distract from your marefriend's birthday, do you? How did that happen, anyway? The news can wait till me, Icy, the Princesses, and you get a chance to sit down together with no distractions or interruptions."

She watched as this new pony, seeming to be a musician, came over to introduce himself and talk with Ice. His voice was melodic, but his form seemed similar to Sombra's. She hoped she wasn't staring, but she was fascinated, though more of her attention was on the mare sat next to her. When Ice had finished, she gave her a nuzzle, before sneaking a kiss. Suddenly, she remembered Princess Luna nearby. "So, Princess Luna... I... I have to say, I really enjoy the night sky, and the air... It's calming, how it can feel like there's no one other than you, the ones your close with, and the stars... Thank you..." She spoke softly, before bowing her head down slightly, a soft blush crossing her cheeks at how she'd just addressed the princess of the night so... openly. It was odd for one who grew up in Canterlot, to say the least. To hide her reaction, she floated a drink over, her horn only glowing slightly brighter than it was before. It was curious to her, sometimes, how magic seemed to ebb and flow from her, even when she wasn't actually casting anything, and she thought about asking the princesses about it at some point tonight...

• 2 weeks later...

Buck nodded to Luna's question about him being a musician. "I thought that since i have no gifts to bring, i could bring music." The stallion seemed happy and smiled brightly. 

Celestia stood and guided the filly back to the party group. She smiled softly and introduced her new friend. "I would like everyone to meet our friend, Caramel Cream. She is an aspiring young pony." The princess watched the young filly give a bow and tried to stand up fully on her chubby little legs. 

Buck smikled softly at the young pony, which got her to smile back. As he was smiling at her, his horn lit up, sparkling with a sea-foam green magic. He levitated a violin over and his magic held it in place. As the bow crossed the strings, it coaxed out a soft note that soon became a gentle melody.

The former tyrant made a soft noise in his throat, considering what little Ice Storm had to give him in the way of information about their project- it seemed the two mares had come together on a shared goal, which was a new development to him. It was a shame that he wouldn't get to find out anything in the way of how it was working out for either of them. "I see. I'll be sure to corner you later for all the details," he murmured, his inequine red eyes sliding towards Raven and a smirk lazily making its way across his muzzle.

"Why, of course, I would be happy to regale you with all the little details about how I managed to seduce your fair sun princess!" Sombra announced, as if he intended to catch everypony's attention just to embarrass Celestia a little, and on her birthday no less. It might have been an attempt on his part to get her attention, for he did adore being the center of her attention whenever it was possible. He turned his gaze upon Celestia, in time to register that she'd introduced the chubby little filly who'd appeared at her birthday party. Caramel Cream. Sombra wasn't sure how to respond to that except to give the foal and her clumsy bow a look that he'd intentionally tried to soften just so it didn't look like he was glaring at her. As he often appeared to be doing when his neutral expression was eternally set into a resting bitch-face.

Princess Luna was trying not to overhear Sombra's tale in favor of focusing on other things, such as Thunderbuck's reply and the little filly Celestia had introduced. She couldn't help dipping her head to the chubby foal and offering Caramel a gentle smile. "Good evening, Caramel Cream. We are glad you made it to the party," she said gently. "We may not have any games, but we have plenty of snacks."

The alicorn straightened up then to nod at Buck, a gentle smile still lingering on her lips. It widened upon hearing his music, of which was lovely with his skills with the violin. She listened to it until Raven's voice caught her attention and her teal eyes shifted to the mare. "I am glad you enjoy the night so, young Raven. I hope it brings you as much comfort as it does Ice. Though I must admit I am not responsible for the stars, nor the moon, save for the raising of it. Yet bringing the night still gives me joy, something to look forward to. To know others now feel the same is a.. comfort."

A small blush creeped across Ice Storm's face as she heard Raven mention how amazing she looked tonight. "Oh please, it can't be that much. Like I said, it's just a simple dress. Besides, you look just as amazing yourself," she said with a smile towards her marefriend as she heard her start speaking again, though this time speaking more to Sombra than anypony else. Whatever it was though, in involved Sombra in some way and she was waiting until everypony was present and not busy to bring the topic up. It made her wonder what exactly she would need everypony present for, but she was sure that she would find out soon enough.

Then Princess Celestia came forth and introduced the filly that she had spotted with her earlier. She smiled and knelt down to the small filly with a smile on her face. She heard Luna address the filly and Ice did so as well, while the princess of the night responded to Raven about her appreciation of the night and that she hoped that it brought her as much comfort as it did Ice before reminding them that she wasn't responsible for the moon and the stars, Raven stealing another kiss as she did. "Perhaps not princess, but like I mentioned before, you're the pony that everypony in the land thinks of when they look up to the moon and the stars at night. You may not be responsible for their existence, but they are symbolic of you as well as a symbol of hope, and they will be for however long you are," she smiled before hearing  Sombra speak about how him and Celestia came to be a thing. She had to admit that she was curious about it herself but there were more pressing matters at hoof.

"Hi there Caramel!! Aren't you just the cutest little thing! I'm sure everypony here will help make this night one that you'll remember for a very long time. And you never know," she said starting to look up to Celestia giving a hint of knowing. "Something special might even happen tonight," she finished giving Celestia a silent nod. Even if she couldn't give this mare a permanent home, she would get her off the streets, and who knows, that temporary home might become permanent in the future depending on how things went. It would mostly depend on how needed she was in the guard, both in defense of Luna and of Equestria as a whole.

Raven nodded her head to Princess Luna. "Still, I... I know how lonely nights can get at times... And I do mean it, thank you for all you do..." She then grinned back at Sombra, knowing he was simply teasing her. She even giggled at his antics. She decided to throw him a bone, and walked closer to him, before suddenly hugging him. "Seriously though, Sombra, thanks for pushing me to look into the crystals. I wouldn't have found Icy, or myself, otherwise... Would of been stuck with my nose in a book." She said, loud enough for those gathered to hear, before smiling at him and letting go. She went back to being beside Icy, who was talking to the young filly.

"Hiyas, I'm Raven. First time at a party like this? Same here, to be honest. Actually, my first time meeting anypony here besides Icy and King Sombra." Her tone was jovial, and light, the experience from volunteering in orphanages seeping in. She thought for a second, before approaching Princess Celestia. "Excuse me Princess, But I happen to have some toys I was planning on donating next week. I live nearby, and could go get them quickly, or at least some games. I'm... Well, I'm not sure any of us expected somepony so young... or... or alone..." She spoke softly, trying to not let Caramel hear. She didn't want to just disappear and bring back games, but she also didn't want the filly to feel like she didn't belong. There'd been too many times Raven herself had felt like that, and tonight wouldn't be such a night for this young one...

Hearing Sombra blurt that out, Celestia turned a shade of pink no other pony could match. It almost covered her entire face as she put a hoof over he eyes. "Darling, NO!" she moaned aloud. He was horrible, but part of her loved it. He was unabashed about the whole affair. And yet he gave no actual details. It was as if he were skirting the line intentionally. As he was speaking, she reached a hoof over and cuffed him gently on the shoulder. "You are horrible, but I do love you." She smiled as she leaned over and kissed his cheek. As she looked back at the others, she noticed Caramel backing away from the group some. She seemed... uncomfortable with all the extra attention. As Raven asked about bringing games, Celestia watched the filly a bit more before whispering back. "I think that may be a... mixed idea. She seems very uncomfortable with all the attention. Though, perhaps we can see if she wants to play a game or so first. Asking her might be best. Unless we can find something here she wants to do, perhaps some music to dance too, or a party game like tag?" 

Caramel had slowly backed away from most of the adults. She ended up backing into Buck. Turning around to apologize, she saw his face was a gentle smile. He wasn't mad, not even irritated. He just smiled at her and continued to play music softly. She relaxed a bit, trying to calm down. No pony was trying to send her back to the orphanage. No pony was really being mean. It was just that she was unused to such attention.  

Princess Luna and Celestia seemed to be the the two with the least attention on her. Which she guessed was a good thing. She was a small filly, albeit a rather chubby one. But the adults around here were all tall, making her feel a bit crowded in. It was then Buck changed instruments. Actually he was levitating over seven of them up, setting a small drum set in front of himself. he seemed to be using his hooves to tap them a moment before He began playing. The music was louder than last time, and somehow he was amplifying it to sound like they were standing in a dance club. Caramel could feel the ground under her hooves thump with the bass, and her body seemed to move with the beat some. After a moment her hooves were tapping along, like she couldn't help but dance. Then he began to sing. Buck's voice was like a mix of bass and tenor, singing multiple tones and lines at once. He was an entire band unto himself. His magic was playing most all the instruments, as his back legs began to tap and he swayed his flank, dancing along with it. Buck had overhead Tia and Raven's conversation, and thought of the most fun music he knew. Music that never failed to get ponies dancing.

Tia felt her body began to sway and she grinned. She had never danced to music like this before. And before anyone could protest she pulled Sombra over to dance with him. She was let her mane down, letting ti flow around her with her tail as she danced. A most provocative form of dancing at that, at least as far as she could muster. Though she did call out to the others. "Come on! Lets dance!!" Caramel herself was even trying to dance along with it. Though more or less she was just wiggling around and enjoying herself. If one were to look at the cups, and the drinks, they would see the fluid inside begin to pulse and vibrate with each pump of the music. 

After the positive responses she'd received from Ice Storm and Raven, Luna could only smile shyly, a little pleased with herself. Their praise was always nice to hear when she received it, and she wasn't sure how many other ponies might mean it as genuinely as they did. Some only said it because they thought it was what she wanted to hear, and they wanted to get into her good graces for their own gain, whatever it might be. These two mares, however, weren't like that.

It was also throughout this, that Luna had attempted to ignore Sombra's exclamation and his blatant attempt to steal everypony's attention. Not that it worked out all that well, with most ponies' focus going to the shy Caramel. The poor foal looked a little distressed from all the attention, at least before Buck managed to soothe her with music.

Sombra was looking particularly sour that his spotlight had been stolen so easily, and he could only sit back frowning, though his attempt at sulking was interrupted by Raven's exuberant hug. He grunted and eyed her, begrudgingly lifting a hoof to wrap it around her shoulders and halfheartedly pat her. Since he was in public, to an extent, he had an appearance to keep up, and he didn't want to look like he just willingly gave out hugs whenever somepony wanted one! Those were reserved for very few ponies, like a certain flustered mare marching over to cuff him in the shoulder.

His smirk flashed across his face, making a quick return. "Indeed I am, my dear Celestia, and I can only get worse if the mood should take me. You're lucky that nopony is bothering to listen to me, or else I would have told them every little detail." His smirk spread wide into a playful smile that bared many of his pointed teeth, the look of somepony who was all too willing to embarrass somepony else for the fun of it. It was unfortunate that at that moment, Buck had whipped out many more of his instruments and began to play them, filling their part of the grounds with loud, energetic music that Sombra could feel beating even through his ribcage. It was the slightest bit alarming, for somepony such as himself who'd never encountered any club scenes, much less anything like them.

A pale hoof grabbed him, nearly snatching him off of his hooves, and he found that Celestia had pulled him in to dance. "I don't.. I don't dance," Sombra admitted a little quietly, his eyes flitting away from Celestia's as if he couldn't hold eye contact with her. Not that he could, with the way she was dancing.. though his eyes did linger on the way her body moved. Nearby, Luna had gotten to her own hooves and went prancing by, finding a spot on which to dance, herself. She wasn't terribly good at it either, but she tried, a smile on her face and her mane fluttering and roiling about her head and neck. She didn't need her sister to tell her, though Celestia's dancing was certainly encouraging. Luna wanted to get herself to let loose once in a while.

Sombra could only watch, scuffing a hoof against the soft grass uncertainly. He wasn't sure if he.. could be so carefree as the sisters. A glance was cast back towards Ice and Raven, to see if they were joining in or not too.

Ice Storm smiled a bit as she heard Raven talk to Sombra about her. It was more that she was thanking him for suggesting that she go to the Crystal Empire when she did to research the crystals or Raven wouldn't have met her. Ice want completely sure about that. They were researching similar fields after all. If either of them made a breakthrough it was only logical that the other would have sought them out with questions. Their paths would have crossed eventually. "I wouldn't say that. We're researching the same area, though using different methods to do so. We would have crossed paths eventually. I won't deny he helped make it happen sooner. Now you're stuck with me," Ice said playful in response.

She then heard Celestia comment on Sombra trying to keep him from spilling everything about how they met and came to be. Apparently the story was a bit embarrassing to the princess. It made Ice chuckle a bit before she heard Celestia talk on the filly backed away from the group. It seemed that she was getting over stimulated because of all of the attention that she was suddenly receiving. This was probably the case, the more that Ice thought about it. The filly was an orphan after all so she probably wasn't used to being the center of attention. Raven suggested going to get some games that the could play. Celestia recommended against it though unless Caramel wished for her to. “Well, if she does them I'm sure we can think of something to entertain her,” she commented with a smiled as Buck started up with more music.

Luna herself seemed to just be taking things in smiling from the praise from both herself and Raven. She was happy to see Luna enjoying herself. After all, what good was it to be a princess and have everything if you didn't get a chance to enjoy it now and then. When Celestia pulled in Sombra and they started to dance, she couldn't miss in on the action and pulled Raven into the dance floor. “Come, we can't let them have all of the spotlight. Luna, you get next dance,” she said with a smile. It might have been Celestia's birthday, but I've was still partial to the princess that was already proven to be her friend.

Raven shook her head at Icy's words. "Actually, I wouldn't be researching this if he hadn't given me the idea. Truth is, my horn doesn't bother me much, but I know there's others out there..." She nodded at Princess Celestia. She supposed that yeah, Caramel was looking uncomfortable. It reminded her of how she felt at any of the nobles parties she'd been to, causing her to wince. She didn't want to cause a filly to become upset. Soon the sounds of music started to filter through, the sounds unable to come from the instruments the musician was playing. It was amazing, unique, magical! Raven was about to move to be closer to him, when Icy took her hoof. The music was moving, and the beat driving. While not what Raven was used to, it moved her, and she couldn't help but smile as she started dancing with Icy, the two of them the only ponies there to her...

Tia would not be swayed. "You dont have to know how. Just move with the music!" she said. Turning her eyes to the others, she smiled brighter. Caramel was actually dancing along as best she could for her size and shape. She bounced and wiggled and stepped around. She cast her eyes at Raven and Icy. They were dancing together and Celestia loved it. She loved seeing ponies enjoy themselves. Then her eyes fell upon her beloved sister. Luna was dancing as well. That was wonderful to see. She was amazingly fluid and graceful, and she was smiling. That made Celestia all the happier. 

Buck was still pumping out the music. How his magic did that was any pony's guess. The strangest thing was that his hooves had the drum sticks in them, he was playing by hoof on the drums. Then he began to sway a bit with the music. His voice lifting up, singing in another language. It sounded almost like old Maretonian, but it fit the style so well with how it rolled off his tongue. He was thumping his left back hoof on a pedal, thumping the bass drum hard. It was actually jumping with the impact. After a moment his magic reached out further, lifting Caramel up gently as she danced. He let her dance freely as she levitated. And with more room to move she seemed to dance more energetically. Seeing she was flying she squealed in delight and kicked her hooves harder. moving her little body about like she were the only one there. 

The song came to an end, but smoothly flowed into the next one. The keyboard Buck levitated let the notes out softly as his voice lifted. IT was a very different language. It sounded more gentle and his tangled mane hung in his face, drenched in sweat from the previous song. Celestia slowed her movements, still unable to pull herself away from dancing as she looked at Sombra happily. She smiled, as her mane drifted slowly across her muzzle. She was then startled as the song began to pick up both volume and pace. The drums were practically screaming with each beat, the various instruments bounce din air with the force of Buck's playing. 

The former tyrant visibly bit his lower lip, a nervous gesture, and he glanced over at the rest of the ponies at the party. They were all dancing, even Princess Luna had joined in, if her movements looked a little awkward to his eyes compared to the others. It told him she probably didn't have as much experience. He was even less so than her- in fact, he'd never even danced at all. As much as he wanted to try, to mimic one of the dancer's movements, Sombra couldn't quite bring himself to. Instead, the stallion chose to find a moment after Celestia had looked over at him to slip back towards the tables, finding another glass of untouched wine to levitate and sip from.

There wasn't a chance that anypony was going to make him dance, or attempt to, out in public like this. Maybe some time later he could try to get some lessons from Celestia, or if he dared to, from Luna, but until then.. He'd rather sit at the outskirts of the makeshift dance floor, watching everypony and listening to the energetic music Buck had struck up. It was better that way, at least for him.. as much as he wanted to join Celestia and dance with her on her birthday. The first they'd spend together.

Their relationship would have room for a lot of firsts, however.. This would just have to be that first birthday to spend together- as he had no birthday to celebrate, it would have to be hers.

The comment from Ice Storm had been caught by the moon princess and Luna cast Ice a smile as she danced by the pale mare, turning in place on quiet hooves. "Indeed? I might hold you to it, though I would hardly come between you and Raven!" she replied, or tried to through the heavy beats of the music that Buck was pounding out. His skill with playing multiple instruments and singing in a different language was honestly impressive, and through the beginning of the next song he played, Luna couldn't help but come to a rest to watch him, as well as eye the other partygoers, smiling through her attempt to catch her breath.

From the moment that the music started to the time the final note of the first tune ended, there wasn't anything else in the world that existed to Ice Storm other than the mare that she was dancing with. She happily held her close, almost hugging her as they flowed from move to move. Even as upbeat as it was before it transitioned into a softer waltzy feel, she stayed close with her marefriend. Everything so far tonight, except for discovering the orphaned filly, had been fairly according to plan. Well... okay, that's a lie. Uneventful would have been the better word. Ice wasn't planning on her marefriend being here tonight. That was an added surprise for her.

There was a sense of amusement on her face though as she caught glimpses of everypony else enjoying themselves. It appeared that Sombra was not having as good a time dancing as her thought. In face it seemed as if he decided to sit out this round of dancing. It was almost as if he was trying to perhaps hide the face that he couldn't dance. Though in his defense, she didn't really know how either. She just kind of held Raven in her hooves and moved around. She wasn't sure if that really counted as dancing or not, but it was the sentiment of moving with her that mattered. The feeling of Raven being so close to her made her all warm and fuzzy inside. As the music came to a stop, she smiled and pressed into a deep passionate kiss with her marefriend. "Have I ever told you how much I loved you?" she smiled afterward before looking over to Luna. The next dance would be starting up soon as she carefully, reluctantly pulled from Raven and made her way over. "Shall we, princess?"

Raven's dancing wasn't great. Matter of fact, it was clear that she'd never set hoof on a dance floor before. That didn't matter to her, though. She was there, Icy was there, there was music... It was all she needed. She smiled softly as they danced, though she did notice that Sombra seemed to be reluctant to join Princess Celestia on the dance floor. Then again, he didn't seem the type to openly display his softer side, so maybe he was simply afraid of making himself a fool.

As the music ended, she was a little surprised at Icy's kiss, though she quickly melted into it. As she did, her horn started to spark slightly, like it always did when they kissed. The kiss was soon over, and Raven couldn't answer with anything other than a light giggle at Icy's question, before she made her way over to the tables, by Sombra. She watched Icy and Princess Luna dance, happy that her marefriend could be so carefree, even around those she looked up to. Soon, the sparking died down, and she shook her head to clear the rest of the fuzzy feeling away. "So, Sombra... I take it you're not going to be needing the room in my house anymore... are you?" She spoke softly, almost like it hurt her a little to ask. She was happy for him though, there was no better mare than Princess Celestia, after all, though her sister was definitely in the running...

Archived