Stage One: Ponyville! Limber Limbs Languish No More!

SteelEagle

"Hello Swifty.", the mare cheerfully replied back before it dawned on her what just happened.

Actually what just happened? She had heard the crack, but had assumed it was just another side effect of Boulder Dash's crash. Did the unicorn bounce himself off of something and was now flying ahead of the pack? Whatever it was, that was not going to be good on his knees. Or his back. He was also not helping himself by trying to break ahead so early in the race. He probably had not found his stride yet. There was a very good chance he was going to wear himself out halfway through the race. For the moment she had just about found the right pace for her to go. They were still a little ways away from one of her favorite parts, Bubbling Brook. The pleasant sound of the brook would ease her mind and lure her into the legendary euphoric moment known as the 'runner's high'.

With Pinkie Pie still at her side, the pair managed to catch up with the farmer and the mare that looked like somepony she may or may not know. "Why thank you Applejack, with Twilight's special guard being formed, I needed to get in tip-top shape." The cute cheetah girl referred to the farmer's running partner as 'Coloratura'. Who was that? It almost sounded familiar..She pondered this before breaking out into a frown. The green misty-stallion made the assumption that a member of a race would know the entire population of their race. Some folk would be offended by this notion. Hopefully the speedy feline would not.

Fire Walker would soon learn that the light grey mare's named was ' Countess Coloratura'. Sounded like a vampire who owned a film lab. That would be an good idea for a bad movie. 'Countess Coloratura's Photomat of TERROR in 3D!'. That was silly, and speaking of.
Spoiler

The pink pony continued to be at her side. Probably not for long. She also was sporting an baby alligator in her mane. "Er, right." She would now have to see if her theory was correct. Would the speedy earth pony finish the race. Maybe she would get distracted by a baby duck or....gulp...Sad story. The farmer mentioned her parents. Considering she was with the farmer during a silly little innocent when a small group of ponies had been zapped into foals. This was annoying, however, she was with the temporarily small Apple when she originally found out what happened to her folks. So heartbreaking...Now she was crying...Could she run with tears in her eyes?

BBEfdjP.png

One thing she noticed was the odd-not-Pocket-Change-Pony. Something familiar? Oh hells, was that Discord? He was already breaking the rules! Bad!

"Oh don't worry about me, I'm quite nimble with paw and claw." Hawke replied with a wink to Applejack. Now where Colouratura seemed to have that pretty dancer's body, the country pony here on the other paw clearly worked out. Which likely meant farm work because the tone wasn't right for bodybuilder, but boy was it nice to look at too. Maybe ground races aren't so bad after all! It was rather poetry in motion.

Hawke's assumptions of 'Rara' were right! She gave herself a little mental pat on the back before she turned to respond with a sweet smile. "I thought so! My usual style of race is in the sky, but maybe after all is said and done and you've had a chance to catch your breath, you could show me a move or two? I'd be happy to trade tips on speed." the griffoness gave the mare a little wink before once again her attention was drawn elsewhere. Thankfully not by a pony-cannonball, but by the bulky Kirin. Did they just grow pretty ponies on trees here or something? Was it in the water? Okay granted, the kirin probably wasn't from around here, but still! Wowee. "Ashley? Can't say I do...Unless you're talking about Ravencrest. I've never met him, but just about everyone who's read a travel book in Talonopolist has at least heard of him!" she replied with a little shrug. "I'm Hawke Dreamcrest, nice to be racing you too. I hope it still feels that way for you when you're eating my dust later on." she playfully teased the stallion with a gentle rib to the side.

Before the conversation could grow further though, the sound of someone stumbling behind the growing little group caught the griffoness' attention. "Oof, hold those thoughts." she said slowing her pace to check on the grey stallion. Doing great in a race was fine and all, but if somecreature got hurt it'd be no fun at all. Plus this one was handsome too! Jeeze. How much would a vacation home in Ponyville cost? "Hey there, you okay? Sounded like a nasty little tumble there." Of course she was completely unaware of the stallion's true intentions with the little show, but either way he had her attention now. She was also completely unaware of the flying raccoon now careening towards the kirin. "But from the looks of you, you can probably handle bigger tumbles than that, huh?" it was hard to peg just what kind of pony this unicorn was, there wasn't a lot to go by from muscle definition, nor by any wear and tear on their hooves or what have you which made him a bit more interesting. Mysteries were always fun.

Hey, was that her commanding officer here? She didn't really bother to question the commander's attendance considering that she did not really know her that well. Something seemed different about the body shape though. Was she wearing something? It was a bit thick from what she could make out. It didn't seem very practical to Loose to be wearing something as such.

That Stallion ahead of her just charged right through that rubble. Awesome. She recognised that voice, it was Boulder right? She met him a while back, never truly got to know him that much, but he seemed like a cool dude. "Way to be flashy bro, but thanks for the aid Boulder," She complimented the stallion. "Good to have you around to make things easier on the rest of us." She chuckled.

She heard a mare come closer towards her. She didn't recognise this mare at first, but when she mentioned her name it sort of clicked inside Loose's name. "Coloratura? You mean that Coloratura? Sorry if I'm not more excited, I'm not entirely a big fan of yours, but let's just say that music has a higher impact on my life for obvious reasons. I'm not sure if I want to call you Rara, it doesn't sound right for me to say that under these circumstances. But yes, it's nice to meet you too." 

She noticed the pony ahead of her stop momentarily to place themselves beside her. Of course, she knew this pony, nopony could live in this town and not know them. "I''m doing fine thank you Applejack, it's just the first section, I'd be damned if I was struggling now. But I must admit this is my first participation in this event. I'm not very much of the running pony, but I've got to participate in it at least once before I could be potentially leaving. I'm not sure if we've truly met before, but if you recognise the name Dr Flora anywhere from perhaps AppleLoosa or something, then you've definitely met my family. You didn't really have to hang back for me, my eyes might not do much, but I've prevailed."

LHoNTYo.jpg

It was a pretty smart idea to smooth those curls down, it'd definitely cut down on wind resistance. The Stallion couldn't help but think all this talk might be winding the mare prematurely so he instead returned his focus to Applejack. His eager trundle taking him over pebbles, grass and snapping  a twig here and there before he would speak up, pasuing only to hop over the big branch with the rest of the racers. The old stallion couldn't help but feel touched when she mentioned she wore it to remember her mother and father... His pace slowed up a little as some unpleasant memories came to mind of a daughter he should have known, still he managed to catch right up and offer the mare a heartfelt smile. "I appreciate the offer, Miss Applejack, but I couldn't take something so important! If I do beat I'll be happy to have you pay for my hat though!"

Ears perked up at the sound of Hawke's voice, "Oh! Well your name's are only a word off! Either way it's a pleasure, Hawke! I'm Taira! ... And trust me if I was left in your dust there'd be no question you'd go soaring past the finish line first!" He snickered and gave a twitch of his nose.

The sound of a tumble behind him took Taira's attention off of the conversation. If he remembered right that was where his rival in this race was. Now he may have had the gall to challenge a physical god to a race, but he wasn't so callous as to wish him any harm... even if he did call him a 'wide load' earlier.  He turned his head to look back and noticed something furry flying towards him. Normally he would assume it was Niju, but this creature had a ringed tail! The Kirin's tail started to wag as he recognized the pattern, "Oh! I know what that i--" And then the Raccoon latched on this backside and started scrambling all around him. "WAAAAAAAAH! I TAKE IT BACK!" HE yelped out as he started to charge forward with an honestly impressive speed, "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS! GETITOFFGETITOFF!" 

Seems that the spirit of disharmony's plan had only half worked. He'd certainly gotten Taira good, but only gotten him going forward at a breakneck pace!

image.png

The Pink One's bouncy pace always seemed to land her near the front of the pack seemingly without her even trying. As it was she was humming a tune to herself and enjoying the swirling leafy visage before her until...

"I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS! GETITOFFGETITOFF!" 

A particularly flustered looking kirin shot past her with something of a  furry nature scrambling about his body.

"Whew! Too bad Fluttershy isn't here! That looks like one of her friends," She glanced up a Gummy and then pointed to the raccoon who took a moment to pause and wave back at Pinkie before continuing it's rapid scrambling. 

She bounded closer and cocked her head at the coon as it continued running about. "Hey there buddy!" Gummy raised a claw and waved slowly which was odd because everything else seemed to be going in fast motion except for the motions from the gator. "I'm not too sure your um...ride here is really enjoying you as a passenger!"

The coon shrugged and continued on with his antics of torment. 

"This looks like a job for..." She pulled Gummy from her headband and he stood on her hoof, a red cape swirling behind him. "The Gator!"

Pinkie held Gummy's front end and pulled back, stretching him out for a moment and then releasing him like a rubber band onto the already flustered kirin's back. It wasn't long before the gator's calm nature caused the coon to stop and stare. Pinkie to the brief respite to smile at the kirin.

"Hi there! Haven't seen you around before! I know everybeast in Ponyville so you must be new!" She continued to bound alongside the kirin as the pace continued rapidly on.

"I'm Pinkie Pie and this is Gummy!" She nodded towards the two rider son the kirin's back. "Not sure who this bandit fellow is though!"

She shrugged while galloping somehow and continued to grin! 

This was already turning out to be such a super fun race! She couldn't wait to get to know all the other contestants!

P8DV6c5.png

After being assured by Loose Cannon that all was well, Applejack started running again and was able to catch up with the heart of the pack, not before sharing her appreciation for the orange filly, however.  "Well keep it up, Sugarcube, you're doin' great!"  Applejack didn't want to sound patronizing.  She really was impressed with a pony who was visually challenged able to weave through trees and follow by only hearing the pounding of the ground and the snapping of twigs.

When Applejack paced up with Rara, she saw several commotions around the racing peloton.  Some involving racoons, others sporting colorful bits of race attire, and apparently Gummy was along for the ride with Pinkie Pie.  "Sheesh, Rara.  They sure do have interesting strategies brewin' for this year's running of the leaves, and I have to admit, I'm not quite sure what to make of it."  Just then, Applejack spotted a grandstand with several draconequi cheering for the race.  Applejack was blown away.  She couldn't believe they built a temporary grandstand this far from the start line and--   Wait a minute.  "There were a bunch of Discords in the stands there.  That can only mean one thing.  Discord must be around here somewhere causin' trouble.  But where?"  Applejack thought for a moment before remembering a gray pony with yellow eyes at the start of the race.  It was then that she knew what Discord was doing.  Or did she know?  "Ugh, blasted beehives, Discord is in the race!"  Applejack nudged Rara while running to make sure she heard her say, "watch that gray pony, he's a shifty one.  Not sure if you've ever had the privilege of dealin' with the likes of the spirit of chaos, but soon you just might.  Keep your eyes peeled for unusual trouble."  Applejack then saw Pinkie Pie shrugging while running.  "I mean really unusual."

Archived