Stage Four: Rearing Ravine! Time to Make a Move?

SteelEagle

zh0HVKH.jpg

Ra-Ra had waited only a few seconds on the other end, congratulating herself with nopony else there to follow suit long enough to give herself a deep sense of accomplishment and relaxation before tackling the road ahead. Where she had jumped ended with a copse of trees blocking her view and blocking her from view meaning she was incognito as she ran ahead heedless of concerns. Of course, that jump had been the last gasp of the old mustang within her. She galloped ahead with as much as she could muster. The weariness began to settle and her pace was nothing compared to before, but between her blistering speed and the successful leap across the ravine she had made considerable headway. A little over halfway through the race and she felt confident in herself in a way she hadn't before.

Of course, the events of the race around her had been dramatic the entire stage. She hadn't been able to see much but as she ran her way back towards others she could hear the gossip and whispers. Pinkie Pie had not made the jump but her and Hawke were...exceedingly friendly, it sounded like. Personally, she didn't see it but she didn't see her own self before so perhaps she was a weaker judge than others. Boulder Dash landed- she could tell not because of ponies saying so but because it felt as if the earth was giving out. He was large, but he seemed to get larger as the race moved on. She saw Applejack and Fire Walker chatting up a storm- and was that a bunny with Fire Walker? There was a story there. In good time Ra-Ra was with the pack again.

When she was, she looked different than before,. Her breathing was deep and haggard, her body not moving as quickly as before., But she was still moving, still running, and the leaves were still falling as she sidled up to Applejack who looked less than worse for the wear. She started speaking as to the seemingly romantic incarnation of this year's Running of the Leaves, something Ra-Ra couldn't attest to as being unusual. Was it? Maybe getting the blood flowing got the heart pumping in other ways as well. She wasn't a medical professional but it sounded romantic...as did the final thing Applejack said. Or at least how Ra-Ra...wanted to hear it.

Ra-Ra laughed a nervous laugh, though hopefully, it didn't come out that way.
“You too, Applejack...you too,” she said, not being clear as to what she was saying that too on purpose, her blush hidden as exertion. “This has been...one heck of a run. I even made...that jump! I hope somepony...caught that with a picture. Speaking of surprises... I'm surprised I don't see your...little sister out here. Still too young?”

LHoNTYo.jpg

While The Bandit chewed away at his snack and Gummy looked on the fellow racers, Taira kept up on the path. He still was willing to keep his spot in the lead, but Applejack's psychoanalysis seemed fairly spot on. Taira kept up his pace but wasn't willing to push himself too hard at the prospect of more mentally stimulating conversation than he could have with the passengers on his back. Boulder Dash had a fire in him that Taira couldn't help but admire as he gained on him, "I wouldn't dream of counting you out, Boulder-san!" 

As the two well built stallions galloped along the trail, Bandit would toss the branch onto the road. That act earned a stiff glare from his mode of transportaion, "Oi! No littering back there! I'm not getting you another snack unless you hold onto it 'til we reach the finish line." Taira had no idea what the miffed chattering The bandit but it certainly sounded like some sort of guff! The mountain stallion yelled to the back of the race, "Strife-san! You need to teach your hat some proper manners!" Annoyed chittering soon  calmed down as the frustrated raccoon folded his arm and resumed his spectating alongside Gummy. 

"Sorry about that interruption!" Taira shot another winning smile Boulder's way, "Welcome back to the lead, Bounder-san! I see you're starting to come down with the love bug that's spreading over the racers!.. or at least I heard it from up here!"

Image result for pinkie pie running

Pinkie was happy to slow her pace down to a trot for a few strides. She glanced sideways and quirked an eyebrow as the unicorn spoke of using a raccoon for a hat.

"Ummmm...ok? Well, as long as Bandit is cool with that, I guess I am too!" She looked at the stallion for another moment and then his tongue snaked out! She cocked her head at him. He seemed....odd....buuuuuuut also familiar for some reason. "Okie dokie lokie!"

She moved back closer to Hawke since the grey unicorn was kinda giving her the heeby jeebies... she whispered the lovely griffon.

"Soooo, this guy seemed a little...ummmmm, off?" Then she caught wind of the her talk of allergies.

"Oh my gosh yes! Keep the furry friends away form that big ol' kirin! I don't want Hawke here to have to save me again!" She nudged Hawke lightly. "Or, do I?" After a quick wink she trotted on until...

Yeeeeahowww!  Yippie Kay U!  Heads up man little ponies.  This freight train still has gas in the tank!" 

Pink was spun around multiple times when Boulder charged by! When she finally came to a stop she blew her forelocks out of her eyes and gasped.

"Whew! Gotta keep alert around here! I think we almost just got run over by a freight train!"

HlyxuU4.png

Once the bunny, who Fire Walker would later find out was named Lady Naomi Burke, née Gordon-Lennox, was safe and secure in her pouch, the mare returned to her proper speed. Fast, but not crazy fast. She was a few paces behind what would be considered the 'lead pack'. This was not a path you would want to storm through as it was the Rearing Ravine! It was not the toughest part of the race, but there was still plenty of places one could get into trouble at. Maybe even a tree or two for Discord to run his dumb ol' head into. The foxy-box of a mountain kirin complimented the officer on her leap. The poor fellow was harboring not one, but two little critters on his back. Would this race end with each runner gaining a new pet? 'Lady' was already munching away at the small packed lunch Fire had kept for emergencies. 'Bon déjeuner'.

"Why thank you, good sir!" Would they be giving away points for show jumping? Actually, was there anypony watching them to make sure the race was being run fairly? She had recalled one of the races had both Spike and Pinkie Pie following the pack via hot air balloon. They would have had to disqualify Discord about a hundred times by now. Firetail? It did look a bit like a long tail of fire as she ran. There was also a small case of friskiness going on between the griffon...and Pinkie Pie? That would be a rather odd couple. Maybe this would be the distraction that would cost the pink pony the race.

Oh-oh, the 'Countess' was not doing so well. Was she already worn out before the race was at it's halfway point? That was not good. Maybe she was getting the dreaded 'side stitch!'. Hoping to be of some help, she ran towards the nearly pooped pony. "Hey!", she called out. "Please take a very deep breath and forcefully exhale...You need to alternate between Inhaling and exhaling with every few steps. Maybe slow down a little until you can build your strength back up!"

P8DV6c5.png

Applejack ran with Ra-Ra in tandem for a while, but others were all around, each taking turns as the pointmare.  Ra-Ra shared her experience at the jump.  Applejack assumed the unicorns had helped her.  After all, the unicorns had to help Applejack.  There was almost zero chance her less experienced friend could have made the jump she failed to complete by herself.  But Applejack would withhold antagonistic intent.  "Oh nice job, Ra-Ra!"  Coloratura seemed to be having a fun time running, despite the difficulty and pressure of endurance.  "Apple Bloom?  Oh, she is probably waiting at the finish line ready to celebrate my first win," Applejack paused, "of this year."  She did not dare to admit for the moment that she had never won the running of the leaves.  Sure she knew, lots of ponies knew.  She didn't need a reminder.

Fire Walker commented on Ra-Ra's fatigue and suggested she slow down. "You do realize that's a trick right?" Applejack winked, but was she kidding? She wouldn't imply Fire Walker's evil intent, but she still said what she thought would steer her friend in the right direction. "What you're experiencing is what athletes call 'the wall'.  It's a barrier not on the path but in the mind.  It's telling you to stop, slow down, take a break, eat some pie.  But you need to climb over that wall.  And when you do, your mind no longer inhibits you by distracting you with feelings of fatigue.  Instead you will feel like you can run the entire race twice in one day."  Applejack got into Ra-Ra's face, a change of attitude kicked into her voice.  "Get over that wall, Ra-Ra!  Don't let a silly invisible wall keep you from runnin'."  Applejack hadn't gotten over her wall yet either, and as she talked her way to climbing the mental incline, her speech was less focused and her personality was exaggerated.  "This next part of the course is less left and right and more up and down.  We'll need to keep our hooves in check and not let a little uphill run keep us from gettin' on gettin'.  This is what separates the fillies from the sillies.  So slap your flanks and tie your mane, it's gonna be a roller coaster of a race soon!"

Boulder Dash laughed a bit as he looked back at the group behind him....mostly Mares running behind him and Taira.  How could he not be attracted to any of them that would have made a fine pairing for an old dirt farmer like him.

"That obvious huh?  Well I admit each of um gots something special about um.  Truth is Ma has been putting the screws on me to get hitched and give her some grandfillies.  Celestia knows there are plenty to pick from.  But enough about my lack luster love life" he said.

He started to pull ahead and looked back at Tiara as he closed the gap.  "What say the two of us finish strong and give the Mares a real show to enjoy?"

Hawke chuckled softly when Pinkie whispered to her, she gave a little shake of her head and whispered in return. "Ahh, he seems nice enough. Perhaps a bit overly competative with that friend of his, but I'm sure he has his reasons." she replied. Honestly she did find him a bit odd too, but who was she to judge? She didn't even really know the guy save for the passing conversation. A little friendly rivalry from the outside could seem strange to most anyone if it's strong enough. Before Hawke could reply to Pinkie's cute remark, the stallion called Boulder Dash rushed passed again, nearly knocking her off her paws as well.

"Ch'yeah, more like a bulldozer." she said with a smirk. Their little trio wasn't too far from catching up with the lead pack. Normally Hawke would be able to better judge just who would tire out and who'd pull ahead in things like these. But the unfamiliar racers and the unfamiliar track left her with barely a clue. She didn't even know just how much longer the race would last. As they drew closer, Hawke was able to make out some of the mutterings about about 'love bug this' or 'losing focus that' "Sounds like some creatures out here are jealous. Ah well, I can't blame them too badly." Hawke said giving Pinkie another wink and a wag of her brow.

zh0HVKH.jpg

The pressure of the race didn't even compare to the pressure of such contrasting yet remarkably astute pieces of advice being offered to her by the two mares. Fire Walker's advice spoke to her most honestly. The idea of falling back, allowing her pace to lessen and body to cool down so as to allow a state of recovery to take place? It sounded excellent to her. She had already proven to anypony who cared to look and pay attention that she wasn't a wallflower who was going to collapse a third of the way through the race or give a poor showing. She was near the top, pushing herself along so many prime athletes. There would be no shame in throttling it back and allowing for her stamina to be built back up. It sounded like a good idea.

Applejack spoke to the opposite, however. She spoke of a wall, a hill that needed to be climbed, that it was mental and not physical. It could be conquered if the will was strong enough and the heart desired it. It was hard to argue that in Equestria mind over matter wasn't complete truth. If this wall was real and it could be conquered through an indomitable spirit, then why not her? Why not bust through another barrier in the mind? She was constantly finding herself and reinventing herself. If that was all it took...but what if it wasn't all it took? What if she had pushed herself as much as she could physically, and doing any more threatened injury? It was hard to pin down whether or not Applejack's words were more on point than Fire Walker's...

But anypony who could deny following Applejack's advice when she was as insistent and honest as anypony had ever been, and as pleasantly forceful to boot, was a stronger mare than Coloratura. She looked at Fire Walker and gave a weary smile. “Well, you try saying no to that...” she laughed, tossing her mane back and trying to push herself, will herself, to more. Her hooves came down faster than she had before though she did not truly know, as numb as they were. “Applejack...when I bust through this wall...I'll make sure to tell Apple Bloom you were a great competitor...and absolutely the best pony to take the silver to my gold! HYAH!” She reared up and bolted, or tried to bolt, barely moving any faster than before but it felt good to fight what she hoped was the good fight.

LHoNTYo.jpg

"Oh now if that doesn't sound relatable... I've already got pups of my own, but back when my folks still lived with me they would tell me about how much I needed to have them. In hindsight I wonder if they were right, seeing how things turned out on the whole." Taira's gait slowed down ever so slightly as a sad look came to his face, "Bah! No point thinkin' about the past though, Boulda-san! Gotta think ahead don't we? ... in the direction of the finish line!" Picking up speed again and pulling a great deal of leaves behind him in his wake Taira would smirk towards the country-stallion, "Don't get too distracted with pretty faces though! They might cost you your place if they figure out how to catch your attention!" 

Suddenly Taira felt his nose twitch! Thankfully it wasn't the itchyh kind of twitch that he'd felt when Hawke was ahead of him, this was him reacting to a very familiar scent on the wind.  He tilted his head high and sniffed rapidly at the air before her brightened up. "Oi, Boulder-san? I don't suppose you'll have enough sandwiches for three mouths will you? Seems there's someone special waiting for me at the finish line! I can't wait to introduce 'em to you!" 

Taira's excitement resulting in that big banner of a tail wagging with glee as he charged on ahead, incidentally widening his leaving wake noticeably and kicking a thick cloud of dust on those behind him for almost a minute before he realized his mistake! With an embarrassed chortle he would yell back in that booming tone to the back of herd, "Sorry about that!"

Image result for pinkie pie running

Pinkie winked back at the griffon, her own brow raising in interest. "Yep a bulldozer might be a better comparison!" She said, her head still spinning a bit from the close encounter with the thunderous kind!

The pack was closing in on each other, many of the racers were confined to the winding trail at various times as it bottle necked through the ravine. The whole area was dusty! Super dusty! So dusty she had to blink and squint for a little bit just to keep going.

"Wow! What in the world?" She kept close tabs on her griffon friend. Cough cough!

"Be careful Hawke! It's really super duper hard to see for some reason!"

"Sorry about that!"

The words came back through the dust cloud from Taira.

"Oooooh, so that's how it is huh?" Pinkie's eyes narrowed and she put on another burst of speed!

"Don't tell me that big ol' kirin is trying to slow us down by kicking up dust!" She cantered on trying to catch up to Boulder and Taira. She pretty much knew that Taira wouldn't have kicked up so much dust on purpose. He was super nice and there's no way he was a cheater! But, she did need to check on her gator friend!

Archived