The Night Watch (Open to anyone)

Dashman562

Opal had never once heard of this kind of creature. An animal which could change shape? Well, a winterchilla definitely can change shape.... an encounter that happened when she was a filly, of which Opal never wants to repeat. "Thank you, Miss," Opal replied to the red mare's 'righto.' "Huh, that is definitely something, Mr. Writer. It would be interesting to meet such a creature since I thought only changelings had that magic." She followed his glance to an area of the library, but saw nothing. He was definitely thinking about something. If anything, Opal was observant and curious, even when it didn't seem so to others. 
She then looked at the guard. He definitely spoke differently from the rest of the ponies she's met, which made her wonder where he's from. 
"Um, I do not know much about Hippogriffs, sir. However changelings can transform into anypony and also sound like them, to my knowledge. Also they can transform into custom ponies I believe as well. What they used to do was replace ponies and feed off of a ponys' love for each other. I'm sure you've heard of what happened to Princess Cadence when her and Prince Shining-Armor were getting married in Canterlot..... We had had some run-ins with them from time to time in the Crystal Empire too. After their queen was defeated by Thorax and Starlight Glimmer, I believe at least most of them had changed their ways, and they do not do that anymore. They still have their magic, but they do not use it for wrong doing like that, to be more specific." Opal did her best to recall her knowledge of changelings to best answer the guard's question. 

u1cZkTQ.jpg

As Taira listening to his old friend talk, the wheels started to click in his head. The familiar scent, the similiar demeanor, Could that fiery looking pup he'd met so long ago be Ran'u's? Taira kept his voice low and whispered, "I think I might have a lead for you, I'd been looking for you since a certain young wolf came to the mountains... I think he might be yours. Even Better... I think he's in this town."

The moment Earth writer's words soon reached his ears, Taira could feel them dropping. Was his disguise work really so shoddy that he couldn't get through a single night without dropping his glamour? At least with the Running of the leaves he had the excuse of spending the entire race sneezing his head off so of course his magical stamina would have been exhausted! At least the mayor was fine with him accepting that silver medal... even though he knew the pack back home would never let him live down losing a race to an earth pony.  He probably wasn't helping his case when he peaked through the other side of the shelf at Earth Writer... and got a nervous look before glancing away when their eyes met.

That stallion was clever! Normally he'd like clever ponies. They were so much fun to spend time with! Here and now though, This could be trouble. With three guards in the room he might end up being thrown out if his intentions were exposed! He turned to Ra'nu and again whispered, "... I think that pony might be on to us."

Once Earth Writer caught a glimpse of that "dog" peering at him, some inner sense of certainty clicked into place.  He knew, he knew that Taira wasn't a real dog... or, at any rate, a normal dog.  But, what exactly could he do with that information?  It wasn't as if he could prove anything.  *I could sell a rumor piece to a trashy tabloid.  Not as if I have any pride anymore, and neither do they.*  Smiling a little at the prospect of affording groceries at someone else's expense, he got out his notebook to write the outline of his article.

"You might meet them sooner than you think."  The stallion remarked elliptically to Opal as he wrote.  

Archived