A night out [Closed] SirAizen

DreamWanderer

It had been a long day at work for Night Breeze. Heading to her little home on the outskirts of Canterlot, she had decided she would spend some time outside of the city to get a little relaxation in her self. Having finished the things she needed to do at home, she glanced out the window to see it was already dark out. She smiled a little bit before using her magic to grab the blue colored scarf from the rack as she trotted for the door. Stepping outside Night Breeze noticed it wasn't too particularly cold out at all, But she decided to keep the scarf on to keep her warm from the cooler breeze that did blow every now and again. Leaving the city behind she trotted down the dirt path leading out from the lower parts of the city. It was a quiet night outside of the city, and the only noise that could be heard was the crickets coming from all directions. Glancing up she could see all the beautiful stars out, Looking back down again she searched for a place that looked comfortable.

Up ahead of her just off the path was a small hill that had a tree just on its crest that cast a slightly darker shadow from the moon below it. It seemed like the perfect place as any to relax and unwind a little she thought to her self. walking up the hill Night Breeze stood for a moment to take in the Scenery, Below she could see the lights of Canterlot illuminating the dark silhouette of the city, The castle standing out from all of the buildings. Lightning bugs where seen every now and again all over the place, It was the perfect night. Lowering herself to the ground next to the tree she stretched her front hooves out and let out a little sigh as she glanced up at the stars above the city. She enjoyed spending the nights outside of the city, It was nice to get some relaxation in her self after having spent all day in the spa working. 

Ah, Canterlot at night. Candy Cain inhaled the cool night air as he strolled along the outskirts of Canterlot, singing a song quietly to himself. Unlike the night, the tune was warm and bright. Cain still felt that it fit, though. It wasn't like any music critics were out here fussing at him, anyway. For now, he had the night to himself. A few hours earlier, he had just finished up with a show in Canterlot - and a job well done, he thought. Though he didn't usually stay long, Canterlot was one of his favorite places to visit every now and then. The colors, and the grandness of the city and its inhabitants were certainly a good inspiration for his works. Recently, he had decided to go for more of a monochrome to his candy architecture. It wasn't his usual style, with its wild colors and shapes, but it didn't hurt to try something different every now and then.

Still, though, he felt like that kind of art was a tad. . . boring. Working with one color was too easy, too simple for him to feel satisfied with. If he thought of it that way, then wouldn't everyone else? They'd think that he was losing his touch. No, he'd stay true to his way of art. It wasn't that he was scared of change, no. . . more like. . . he was scared of other people's opinions of the end result. They had been enjoying his works for a long time now. Nothing would change any time soon, it seemed. And why would it? Cain had never done anything to bore or annoy them before. He lived to make others happy. If they weren't pleased, they would've shown it by now. At least, he thought so. . . Cain didn't spend much time around other ponies, save his shows. It wasn't that he didn't like people, just. . . busy, busy, busy. . . he felt that he didn't have time for that. Certainly no time to stop and have a lengthy, "Hello". It saddened him, but it was necessary. At least, he thought it was necessary.

Cain was now in the lower parts of Canterlot, walking along a dirt path which led out to the rest of Equestria. Cain paused in the middle of his song to yawn, stopping and stretching. He'd have to get some shuteye sooner or later. It was a good thing he carried around his cart. Otherwise, he'd be sleeping under a tree for the night. Speaking of which. . . Cain turned, looking back towards his candy-making supplies. The jars of sugar and dyes rattled, signifying emptiness, and the bags of fruit he carried lay almost flat on the cart floor. He was running low on stuff. He couldn't wander too far away from civilization for long without it. Cain sighed in weariness and annoyance. Why hadn't he checked it before? That was sloppy of him. That was how his dad worked, not him, forgetting things. . .

Cain glanced up. Ahead, he could see a small hill with a tree, overlooking part of the city. That was a good place to crash for the night. He'd set up his cart when he got up there. With a grunt of effort, he hiked up the hill, the cart rattling a bit from the strain. He let out a sigh of relief as he got to a level position, leaning against the side of the carriage and glancing around. In his exhaustion, he almost didn't see the mare nearby, lying under the tree. To be completely honest, she spooked him. Cain lost his cool for a moment, letting out an undignified squeak and going stiff. These darn crickets were so distracting sometimes. . . how had he not noticed? He had to say something so that he didn't seem like some sort of creep, coming up here and being silent. He had formed a sentence in his mind, but all that came out was a cracked, "U-Um. . ." 

Night Breeze took a deep breath in as she closed her eyes in relaxation taking in the calmness around her, The gentle swish of a clam breeze blowing through the tree, crickets heard hear and there, and an unusual rattling noise heard a little ways off behind her. Flicking her ear at it she paid no mind to it, somepony was probably just passing through, She thought to herself. Some ponies would come and go out of Canterlot at night, mostly traveling ponies going town to town. She wandered in the back of her mind where this pony might be heading to, It was hard to tell. Opening her eyes again she glanced up at the stars, It was amazing how they could be so beautiful and yet also make you feel so small at the same time. Princess Luna sure had put out a beautiful display this night, It was a shame that not many took the time to admire it, She thought to herself glancing up at the castle perched over Canterlot. Its bright lights from the windows overpowering that of the rest of the city. 

The odd rattling noise heard from before seemed to be getting closer. Glancing over her shoulder Night Breeze didn't see anything. Letting out a little breath she returned to her star gazing, after all the path was just at the bottom of the hill behind her, This pony was just passing by. She was just getting relaxed again when a Squeak was heard from behind. Startling her a little she snapped her head up and looked behind her to see a wheat colored stallion with bright pink hair standing behind her, his legs looking stiff as a board. A soft smile rose on her face as she remained seated in her relaxed position with her front hooves stretched out in front of her, looking behind her at this new pony. "Oh, Um, Hello there" Night Breeze said in a soft tone a small blush on her cheeks. "I'm not in your way am I?" She asked looking behind him seeing a cart that he had been pulling, before returning her gaze to this stallion. "Have you come to join me?" She added in a soft voice, Her blue eyes gazed focused on this new arrival, studying him over, The littlest smile on her face. 

Candy Cain examined the new pony as he tried to organize his thoughts into rational speech once more. He had expected to be alone up here. Another pony on the hill would complicate things if he stayed, most likely. From the looks of it, they probably didn't know who he was, either. Instead of going for his usual showman's attitude, Cain tried to sound casual, something not easy to pull off when lugging around a large cart of candy supplies. "Erm, hey. You're not in my way, I was just, ah, about to set up for the night. Here." Now that Cain thought about it, it seemed more like he was some homeless pony, rather than a traveling confectioner. He probably could have worded that better. He cleared his throat, feeling his face heat up somewhat. "Well. . . I guess I have come to join you then, haven't I? I mean, technically speaking. . ." Cain continued to murmur quietly, trying and failing to remain completely calm. He set up his cart around fifteen feet away from where Night Breeze was sitting. It was just to be safe; he feared that she'd take it the wrong way if he set up too close. He wasn't here to intrude on her privacy. "Ah, don't mind me, I'm not here to bother. . ." He paused. "I forgot my manners. Name's Cain. Candy Cain." Even his name sounded stupid when he said it out loud now. Why was he being so awkward? He swallowed.

Out of nervous habit, Cain summoned a pink-swirled candy cane from his trove of sweets, and began to nibble it, not directly meeting the mare's eyes. "U-Um, ify'don't mind me asking. . . what were you doin' up here, anyway. . .? You don't have to answer. I was just. . . Curious." She, at least, didn't seem to be uncomfortable around him, even with his awkwardness. Cain just hoped things remained that was for the remainder of the time he was up here. If there was one thing a showman hated, it was making a fool of themselves. Cain certainly didn't feel like the normal stallion everybody knew right then. It was a weird feeling. He'd never had it before, so why now? For now, he was just confused. He hoped that it didn't show much. It was a pleasant night outside, really. The lear sky and cool air helped to settle his frayed nerves a bit, but not much. Cain continued to set up the cart as he awaited an answer, locking the wheels into place so that the cart didn't roll away in  his sleep. Yes, that had happened before. Once. Never again. Cain was determined to forget that little mishap once and for all.

Night Breeze smiled a little as she listened to the pony explain himself, looking at him with a endeared face as she thought to herself, She liked spending time alone to relax, but perhaps a little company wouldn't hurt every now and again. Standing up on her hooves Night Breeze turned around so she wouldn't have to look over her shoulder at him, Standing up right she was a bit taller then the average pony that of about matching Cain's height. Looking at his cart somewhat out a bit of curiosity as Candy Cain mentioned about setting up for the night, Night Breeze attempted to figure out what it is he does for a living. She knew ponies of all kinds traveled in and out of Canterlot, Her thought was broken for a moment tho as he introduced himself to her. "Oh, you are no bother to me, dear" Night Breeze said in a reassuring tone, She almost always called everypony dear or honey. Some would find it awkward or too personal, but she always loved caring for others. 

"Well it's certainly nice meeting you Cain" She said with a bright smile on her face "My names Night Breeze, I live just in town" She smiled as she watched him set up his cart . "Oh, what am i doing? I'm just up here stargazing, I like to come out here sometimes to relax after a days work at the spa.....If you don't mind me asking what to do you do for a living?" She smiled with a pause as she was unsure if she should lay back down or offer him some help setting up. "Would you like some help setting up your cart?" Night Breeze asked with a bit of curiosity awaiting a response. 

Cain sighed in relief. At least he wouldn't be forced to back off the hill in shame now. That would've been embarrassing. He took a short breath and gave a small smile, trying to be more polite. "Nice to meet you as well, Miss Breeze. . . Oh, you live in Canterlot? That's cool. I used to live there, but. . . eh." Cain shook his head, eyes closed. Apparently he didn't want to get into it. He looked up again. "I'm not here to tell you my life story." He gasped in surprise as Night Breeze explained what she was doing. It had been similar to what he had been planning to do before. "Stargazing, eh? It appears that we have something in common, Miss Breeze. An appreciation of nature." Cain looked up into the sky, smirking. "Maybe not for the same reasons. I, uh, roam." Cain paused. "As in, I'm a one-pony show. It's taxing, but I like it. As a side effect, though, I don't usually stay in a house, hence the cart." Cain gestured to the thing. One could see that it was covered, and large enough to fit one or two ponies inside. "Oh," Cain appeared to remember something. "No, I'm not homeless. People keep sayin' that when they see me walkin' around. It's just a joke now, ha. . ."

Cain stopped for a moment, thinking about something. After a moment, he gave Night Breeze a quick, nervous smile. "No, no, that isn't necessary. It's impolite to have another work when I can just do it. . . myself." Cain seemed to be having technical difficulties, trying to level the cart on the hill so that the stuff inside wouldn't come tumbling out. The wheat-colored pony grit his teeth for a moment, muttering to himself irritably. After a moment, he glanced back at Night Breeze, looking embarrassed. "O-Oh, I'm also a confectioner, y'know. Yeah, we have a lot of those 'round these parts, but I put my own little twist on it. I. . .could show you, but. . . gimme a moment." Cain frowned, then yelped as the cart pitched forwards, spilling out most of its contents on the ground. This included a stool, a couple jars of sugar, some stray sweets and a few apples. Cain's face reddened. From the pile of candy, a small lollipop slowly rose up, and floated over to Night Breeze, and froze there. Cain laughed nervously. "Erm. . . candy?"

"Oh, There is no need to dear" Night Breeze said in a calm tone as Cain didn't seem to want to go into his life story. all tho she was always willing to listen if he ever did feel like it. "I guess we do" She giggled to herself, It seemed they did have something in common "It certainly is beautiful out tonight, Its a shame not many ponies take the time to admire it" The unicorn mare said with a bright smile, Looking at Cain with somewhat of a blushing face. Her assumptions where correct she thought when she heard him talk of being a traveler. "Oh, No i didn't think you where homeless by any means, I know traveling ponies come and go from Canterlot a lot for various shows and business things." Night Breeze said trying to explain. The wheat colored pony refused her help, but he seemed to be struggling a bit with setting up the cart. She watched with a bit of a concerned look as he continued wrestling with the cart. "OOoo, You make candy?" She said with a bit of excitement in her voice "That sound like a lot of fun" Night Breeze added with a smile. She let out a little gasp as the cart suddenly tipped forward throwing various supplies out onto the ground. She knew Cain refused her help, but she just couldn't stand and watch him pick all those things up. Walking over and Lighting her horn up, the blue colored magic surrounded the strewn supplies and gathered them together, before picking some of them up to set them back into the cart. "Here, at least let me help you pick these back up, Its the least i can do." She said with a smile looking at Cain with bright eyes. Night Breeze hoped she wasn't being too personal, But she just couldn't not help. Noticing Cain offering some to her she smiled a moment before accepting the offer "Why thank you" She said with a smile. 

Cain was a complete and utter mess right now. Still, he did feel a bit better when Night Breeze decided to help him clean up instead of laugh. Still, though, this was his mess. It was his responsibility, not hers. He began to formulate an apology, and a refusal. He glanced up. "Really, ma'am, I don't want to. . ." He faltered slightly. He was distracted by the vivid aquamarine of her eyes and the highlights in her mane, which almost seemed to glow in the night sky. The lights from Canterlot dimmed it a bit, but it was there. He was at a loss of words for a moment. It was random, but a unique moment that Cain couldn't shake off. Soon Cain realized he was staring, and glanced back at the ground, his face reddening. "R-Really, it's my mess. . ." He knew that she couldn't be stopped, though; some ponies were just like that. They couldn't bear to see the misfortunes of others. Still, there was a difference between seeing it and doing something about it. At least this mare did the latter. She was polite and kind as well. It was a strange comparison, but Cain felt a strange feeling in his chest, the same one he'd felt years before, back home, leaving Canterlot the first time. . . he didn't know what it was.

"Th-Thanks. . . thank you, ma'am." Cain murmured, his gaze flickering up for a moment. He shook his mane, flipping up few stray hairs that had come undone from his bangs. He thought for a moment. "I gotta make it up to you somehow. . . you remember how I said I did candy? I could do something for you, anything." Anything? Cain felt that he was pushing it there. He rarely ever did just anything for someone he'd just met. It was. . . taxing, big projects. He still felt that it was necessary, though. With a flick of his horn, Cain brought out a few jars of sugar, bags of candy, fruit containers, and other various supplies. He counted them for a moment, before turning back to Night Breeze. "Consider it a gift, a token of my appreciation. What wouldya like? I do lots of things. . . but I'd be more than happy to give you a few examples. It's real nice." Cain smiled at the thought of having absolute freedom in art once more. "Then I can take a request. . .?"

Picking the strewn supplies up Night Breeze set them back in the cart. She noticed Cain pausing for a moment almost seeming frozen like a statue before his face reddened. He did look rather cute like that. She smiled her own face growing a bit of a pink shade, which was rather easy to see with her gray colored coat. "There is no need to be embarrassed about it Dear, I enjoy helping others, and i couldn't just stand there and let you do it all" She said in soft tone. Night Breeze stood there for a moment looking at Cain. His green colored eyes where really quite catchy, she seemed to stare blankly for moment, before looking to she him taking some of his supplies out of his cart. "your welcome dear" she replied with a smile. Her eyes widened a bit when he said he was going to make her something. Night Breeze swayed for a moment on refusing, or letting him make something. She didn't want him to waste his supplies. Besides it was late, he could probably use the rest. "Aw, That is awfully sweet of you, But There is no need to, Dear. You have probably worked hard enough today. Why don't you relax a little?" She said trying to convince him other wise, But he seemed insistent. Night Breeze thought for a moment raising her hoof to her chin. "Hmmmm, Why don't you make something you want? What ever comes to mind."  She suggested. Night Breeze had to do something in return, all she did was pick up his stuff and here he is making her things. "How about i do something in return for you?" She asked pondering for a moment "How about a free visit to the spa sometime on me? You could use some relaxation every now and again?" She said gazing at Cain. Night Breeze was all to happy to help others relax, She knew at the end of a long day nothing was better than to unwind for awhile. "If you ever decide to, just ask for me when you get there" Her face was soft pink as she awaited to see what he was going to make.

Cain was relieved that Night Breeze was talking all of this fine. Perhaps she was just able to put up with blundering fools like him . ..  or perhaps, maybe Cain wasn't being as foolish as he thought? He kept this in mind as he shuffled on his hooves. It was still all his stuff; he felt momentarily guilty about not doing more to refuse her offer. Still, if it made her happy. . . Cain exhaled. At least that was off his chest. His spirits raised even further when he realized that he'd have complete creativity in his work. His green eyes twinkled with excitement. "Oh, thank you, ma'am. You won't regret this, I promise. I'm real good at gifts." The stallion walked back to his cart, smiling to himself. Complete creativity. . . he'd keep in mind that this was for her, not just any pony. He thought hard about what she might like. What colors.. . she said it herself, she liked being out during nights like these. Perhaps he could incorporate that into his work. He hummed to himself while he worked, his tail swaying as he picked out ingredients. Night Breeze couldn't see anything, but eventually Cain made a little "Aha", before picking out a few miscellaneous jars and baggies. He made sure to block off Breeze's view so that she wouldn't see what he was making. His ears perked up at the mention of a spa.

"Oh, you work at a spa? That's neat. .  . I've never been to one of those before. Heard enough, though. Heard it's real nice." He paused. "I'll make sure I ask for you first, alright. A tiny bit of relaxation time couldn't hurt, I guess. . ." Cain blushed harder. He felt embarrassed, as if he were speaking to one of his fans instead of Night Breeze, admitting that he couldn't always be there to entertain them. He felt like he was letting them down every hour he wasn't there for fillies and parents alike. He just hoped that Miss Breeze would see past that. Cain continued on with his work. In the silence that followed, Cain decided to fill it with a few questions. "E-Er. . .  hope you don't mind me asking, but. . . what are your favorite things?" Well. . . he hoped it wasn't too odd of a question. He was curious; it would help him finish her gift. . . and he'd get to know a bit about her as well. "What do you enjoy doing the most? Pardon me for asking, y'don't have to answer. . ."

Night Breeze stared in curiosity as Cain went behind his cart to make what he was going to make for her. "Oh, really you don't have to do this... I wouldn't want you to waste your supplies." The gray unicorn said trying to explain. She wouldn't want him to be short on supplies for his next show.  She didn't quite understand why he was so enthusiastic about making her something, especially at such a hour at night. Anyway she thought perking a ear up at the noises of him moving things around in the cart. "Oh you won't regret going. I good spa treatment can really help ease stress and any kind of back pains you might have after a long days work" She said with a bit of excitement in her voice. Night Breeze continued to look in curiosity as he worked behind his cart. "Oh, What are my favorite things?" She asked with a bit of a surprise. "I like going for walks through the forest on calm night. The sound of a gentle flowing river or waterfall, The clam breeze on clear night, or the crackling of a fireplace on chilly day" She thought to herself as she listed off what she likes. "Well I always enjoy doing my job, I like exploring and finding new relaxing places in nature, or wandering through Canterlot's streets meeting new ponies and trying new shops." She pondered to herself for a moment. What was he making anyway? 

Well, now Cain was hooked. He was interested to go and experience this "spa". He still wasn't sure how just sitting down somewhere would suddenly make him feel "relaxed", but it was worth a shot. Cain's parents didn't believe in taking a day off for something as trivial as relaxation. Even during vacations and getaways, the family was always working on something, even if it was just something to pass the time. This would certainly be a new one for him. "Well, now I know who to call." Cain listened to Night Breeze list off her favorite things, thinking to himself. They. . . they could work. Rather splendidly, if Cain said so himself. "You have good taste, Miss Breeze. . ." Cain's brow furrowed as he worked on her gift. "I know just the thing that can give it all to you at once." It would be a bit difficult, but Cain didn't doubt that he could pull it off. It was, after all, a gift. He gave it his all when it came to gifts. Now, how to present it. . . he was sort of stuck on that. A model? Or just candy? That was the question. Cain was motionless as he worked. The jars and bags of sweets floated around his head, enveloped in a faint pink energy, as he muttered quietly to himself.

After a few minutes, the sweet smells of delectable confections were swimming in the air. Cain still blocked off what he was making, but it sure smelled good. Finally, he exhaled, and sat down, staring at whatever it was he had been working on. He tilted his head from side to side, examining the thing. Would she like it? He wasn't sure. His expression was almost blank. He inhaled, and turned, the object as elusive as ever. He was hiding it behind his head, levitating it with his magic. He took another breath. "I have worked the best that I can on it at this hour. I know I could have waited, but I wanted to present you with something as soon as possible. I do hope that you enjoy it, whether it be the taste, or. . ." Cain didn't finish. What he brought out was an odd little thing. 

Cain's usual profession was with models or other living art. He didn't usually revert to just making straight candy. It confused him. But he had put everything into this one bit, so he hoped it was worth it. The end result was a small, spherical piece of candy, about the size of a gumball. One couldn't mistake this for a gumball, however. It was coated in a dull silver, which glowed faintly in the dark. Not a gleam, and certainly not like the glowing toys you could purchase for cheap somewhere - it was magical. If one looked closer, there were little wisps of art on the surface, not easily identified. What were they. . .? They seemed to shift in the dim light. What could not be mistaken for anything else, though, was the crescent moon that flickered across the silver shell. Cain stared at it, his face still blank. "I do believe," He began carefully. "That you eat this particular piece of work. It isn't just for show."

As Night Breeze stood watching the commotion going on behind the cart where Cain was working, Her head tilting to one side out of curiosity. From behind the cart she could see bags and jars of candy supplies floating around as he worked over her gift, What ever that was to be she wandered to herself. This had already been a pretty eventful night, when Night Breeze left the house she hadn't expected that she would end up watching as a wheat colored stallion put together a piece of candy together for her from his cart. Cain having mentioned that this piece of candy was to give her all the things she liked at once, She seemed to have a curious look on her face as she wandered just what it could be? Finally after some time Cain returned from the back of his cart floating this gift behind his head with his magic. 

"I'm sure i will" Night Breeze said with a smile on her face, Agreeing that she would enjoy it. She wasn't much of a gift receiver, Night Breeze had always tried to act like she didn't deserve what she was getting when ever she received a gift, But this one had her curiosity.  Cain floated the piece of candy out from behind his head. Gazing at in curiosity the first thing that she saw was that it was little ball of candy that seemed to have some kind of magical property to it, She almost didn't know what to make of it. "Y-you really didn't have to do this for me" She smiled with a blush on her face looking at Cain. Walking over to Cain to get a closer look at this gift Night Breeze floated the piece of candy with her own magic to get a good look at it. Little pieces of art seemed to be on the surface of the candy, All tho hard to make out, They seemed to resemble the things she liked. Hearing him say that it wasn't just for show seemed to only raise her curiosity more. "Really, I can't thank you enough, This was awfully sweet of you to do" Night Breeze smiled looking back at Cain, before wrapping her hooves momentarily around his neck in a hug before releasing him again, a small blush on her face. "Now, That you have worked so hard at this hour, why don't you relax a little now, and join me in a little star gazing?." She said with a soft voice, a bright smile on her face. She would be all to happy to help him relax. All tho away from the spa she still could use her soothing magic. Floating the candy back down, She examined it with her eyes once more before finally tasting it. 

Cain exhaled as he presented Night Breeze with the candy. She hadn't rejected it. That was good. He would have been crushed if she had. Wait, no he wouldn't. He regularly got upset when someone just didn't like accepting gifts, but it felt like it would have been so much worse coming from Miss Breeze. Why? Cain was still trying to answer that question while he responded to her. He gave a small smirk, bringing out some of his showman's attitude. "Well, Madam Breeze, I don't mean to brag, but, ah. . . sweet things are my specialty." He gave her a small wink and chuckled. He was a bit more relaxed now, that was good -

Only now, he was decidedly not to be relaxed as Night Breeze gave him a quick hug. All Night could hear from her position was a quick intake of breath, but Cain didn't try and pull away. When Night pulled away, she would be able to see his face, which was both embarrassed and pleased at the same time. He cleared his throat, and waved his left hoof in the air for a couple seconds, gesturing to nothing. Finally, Showman Cain found his voice. "I-In all seriousness, though. . .  you're welcome." He looked towards the sky. Looking into those perfect aquamarine irises, Cain feared he might do something a tad bit embarrassing if he maintained eye contact for too long. Namely, fainting, if she hugged him again. He felt a bit lightheaded. He hadn't received this type of kindness from anyone else ever before. He hoped that he could get used to it. Eventually, he glanced back at the mare at her request for him to join her in stargazing. Of course, Cain accepted. "That sound's great, ma'am. It could give me a couple ideas for a new work, or maybe even just a drawing. . . but. . ." He glanced back at her again, before hastily looking back to the stars. "Just watching 'em sounds nice."

As for the candy. . . it was probably unlike any candy Night Breeze had eaten before. Somehow, Cain had managed to incorporate Night Breeze's favorite things into the tiny thing. It was just flavors,  but. . . it was almost like Night was experiencing it all at once. The mare could feel the warm sensation of flames crackling in the hearth, and could just make out the scent of fresh water, quickly rushing by. Echoes of laughter and cheery voices swirled around them, and into the sky, fading away. At that moment, the wind around the two seemed to pick up slightly, enveloping them in a light, cool gust, before disappearing into the night, gone.  If Night Breeze looked back at Cain, she could see that he had felt it all as well. Perhaps it had been some sort of magic radius that eating the candy had caused? Who knew? Cain's face was one of surprise. He looked into the sky, before rubbing his eyes. He looked even more tired. "I. . . wow." He murmured, wiping away at his eyes again. "I. . . understand now. You. . ." Cain's face went from surprise to shock in an instant. He backed away and shrank down, cowering in fear. "I-I didn't mean to intrude, I swear! I just forgot to move away before you ate it, and. . . I'm s-sorry. . ." Cain seemed to take personal feelings very seriously. Was he really that worked up about experiencing those things with her?

"They most certainly are." Night Breeze said with a little blush on her face looking at cain. Having gave Cain a quick hug, She observed his face which to seem a bit embarrassed and pleased at the same time. Giving off a single soft little giggle a blush reddening her cheeks as she smiled. Truthfully Night breeze had come out here expecting to be alone, but she rather did enjoy his company. Eating the piece of candy gave to her from Cain she could immediately feel a crackling feeling like that of a fire, It was rather quite unique. Soon after she could smell the slight smell of of fresh water, Followed by the sounds of happy voices around her that where seemingly pushed along by a gentle cool breeze from the night. How did he manage to make that into a candy? she wandered to herself. Turning to ask him Cain seemed to have felt it as well. Night Breeze tilted her head as he cut himself short on his sentence. His face suddenly turning to fear and shrank down, What was he so afraid of? Her face looked concerned, She knew just the thing to calm him down tho. Without a word Night Breeze light up her horn, a magic matching the color of her eyes floated off her horn towards Cain before wrapping itself around him in swirls. The magic was that of her soothing spell, The magic swirls continuously circled around him could be described like a soft velvet cloth that had been warmed gently as it continued to wind around him.

"Easy now, There is nothing for you to fear" She said in a soft reassuring voice walking closer to Cain "You where not intruding, I love sharing my interests with others. I enjoy caring for others, and you are no different." She said with a smile on her face trying to show Cain that she didn't mind, before the spell fizzled away into the air. "You know your candy was actually good, and that gave me a idea" Night Breeze said thinking to herself. She came out hoping to find some Inspiration for back at the spa, And this might be just the stoke of inspiration she was looking for! "Candy like this could actually be a very good thing to have at the spa, and I'm sure ponies would love them, If you where interested i wouldn't mind paying you bits for them?" She asked trying to return to a light mood again. If he made candy like the one he gave to her, but each one only highlighting one thing, she was sure ponies where to love them. Turning around she laid back down on the ground under the tree. "Now, Why don't you come rest and relax a little?" She asked patting her on hoof beside her. 

Once again, Night Breeze had shown her capacity for kindness. Cain was absolutely certain that she'd recoil at the thought of him invading those interests so personally - but she hadn't done that at all. Instead, she had calmed him down, both with words, and a bit of magic. She had used a spell on him, one that made him truly feel as if everything was going to be alright. Cain still felt the need to apologize, but he felt so relaxed and happy, that those thoughts were far in the back of his mind for the time being. The pink haired stallion gave a small sigh of relief, shoulders slumping. Everything would be fine. She had even liked the candy. Even after the spell left him, he still felt a bit of it lingering around him, or at least its effects. He sat there for awhile, looking at nothing in particular, until Night Breeze brought up her idea for his candy. It had him thinking for a bit. "Well, it is possible. . . I'm just not entirely sure how it could work for others." He paused, tail flicking nervously. "I've never done that before. Pulling it off again, intentionally. . . I'mma need to practice some, heh. . ." All Cain needed to do was recreate his thoughts and feeling during the construction of his gift. He hoped it could work, for Night's sake.

Cain quickly shook his head at the end of the offer, though. "No, no, if I do end up working with you, it's free. Working with a. . . working with someone that you enjoy the company of is enough for me, ma'am." Cain hoped he hadn't said too much. Already, he liked this mare. To what extent, though, he wasn't sure. He'd just have to wait and see how things went. After a moment, Cain went over and sat next to Night Breeze, slowly sinking down to the earth to lie down. As confident as Cain acted, the bits of magic he did were a lot more taxing than he let on. Maybe it wasn't like that for others, but it was for him, animating his little trinkets and creations. He'd have to practice that sometime, maybe study a bit. . . He smiled. It might take awhile, but it would be worth it in the end. He gazed up at the stars, blinking, dreaming of how things might be in the future. "This is nice," He murmured absently.

Night Breeze smiled as Cain seem to relax a little. She was always all to happy to help some pony relax, It seemed like he really deserved it as hard as he worked. "Oh, It wouldn't have to be complex like the one you gave me, Candies that highlighted only one of the feelings would work really well." Night breeze said with a smile "Besides you don't have to if you don't want to, It was just a idea of mine" She added making sure he knew that he didn't have to do this. Night Breeze looked at Cain with a bit of a surprised face when he mentioned of doing it for free. "Oh, no, I'd hate to see you waste your supplies, I know supplies cost, and i wouldn't want you to work without something in return." She quickly replied trying to convince him. "I'm certainly glad you enjoy being around me tho." She smiled with a slight blush. To tell the truth it was nice to have company of her own once in awhile. 

Night Breeze gave Cain a bit of a look and a smile as he lied down on ground next to her, before returning her gaze to above. The grass beneath her was cool, Not in a uncomfortable sense but just cool enough, All tho it would warm up soon enough with the heat from her own body. Adjusting her scarf on her neck she noticed that Cain didn't have anything to keep himself warm. Unwrapping it with her magic she offered it Cain. "Would you like my scarf to keep warm? I hadn't expected a little company this night, or i would have brought a blanket or something to keep warm." She said her face heating up a little. Soon enough the ground beneath her began to warm a little. Night Breeze stared into the night as she observed all the stars shining way up in the sky, The sound of crickets around them sounded off from near and far. Almost seeming like they where everywhere, Along with the occasional frog chiming in. "certainly is beautiful isn't it?" She asked in response.

Her mind began to drift as she took in the sounds around her and focused on the night sky. She began to sing a soft tune to herself in a soft voice as her mind wandered, before remembering she wasn't alone. Her face began to heat up a little again. "Sorry, my mind kind of just wandered a little." She smiled her cheeks visibly pink   

"Well. . . it's worth a shot, eh?" Cain was a bit interested in the idea. Of course, he'd have to ask every pony about their favorite things. . . that might be a bit awkward. He'd do what he could, of course. It was a showman's job to please. . . Yep. He'd just do it to the best of his abilities. "I can give it a shot. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. But. . . this kind of thing. . . it'd be nice for others to experience it as well. I can't be selfish." Cain waved off her insisting on paying him. "No, no. I. . ." Cain's voice had gotten a bit raspy; dang. His throat felt a bit sore from the day's events. He coughed, and continued. "I have my ways of getting my stuff. I am magic confectioner, after all. That, and I make a bit of money off of little gifts that I occasionally sell; I'm set when it comes to income."

Cain was getting a bit uncomfortable at the talk about money; he hated having to work with it. He knew it was necessary, but he just thought it sullied his business. It would just be so much easier if  he could just do the thing he loved for free. . . which he couldn't. As it was, he didn't have a lot to work with. He just sucked it up and dealt. He couldn't go around asking for handouts like a beggar; he certainly didn't feel like having to make friends and fans pay for what he created. It could work this way. Cain would see to it that it worked out, somehow. . . He shook himself out of such foul thoughts. It was a beautiful night. He needed to enjoy it while he could. At the mention of a scarf, Cain absently tugged at his shirt collar, suddenly aware of the chill that surrounded them. Still. . . "Well, I couldn't take it away from you. . ." A stray gust went by, chilling Cain to the core. He shivered. "M-Maybe." Eventually, he did take the scarf, wrapping it loosely around his neck. He scooted a bit closer to Night. She might not have a scarf now, but the least he could do was sit beside her. The body heat of others usually did the trick. . . even if he was a bit farther away than the normal range of such a trick. He still didn't want to get too close. Cain had learned it and many other survival techniques from a certain little adventure in Everfree Forest. That, however, was a story for another time.

Cain sat there, staring absently in the sky for awhile, before picking up on Night Breeze's singing. He glanced at her, surprised; she hadn't mentioned singing as one of her hobbies. Maybe she just did it occasionally. Maybe it was just something she didn't tell others. Still, it entranced him. He said nothing, simply listening and watching her, until she stopped, suddenly aware that he was sitting beside her and listening. Was she embarrassed by it? That wouldn't do, not at all. Cain turned to fully face her. Maybe he would be overdoing it - he had a tendency to overreact to certain situations, such as these - but the pink haired pony felt that this one was necessary. Before Night Breeze could say anymore, Cain spoke. "Well, I loved it. It seems that you have more talent than you let on, Miss Breeze. I could listen to that all day. . .  not that I'm urging you to continue. . . I just enjoy your voice, that's all. Well, that, and. . . your company." His face reddened. He hastily continued. "Please. Don't hold back anything around me. If you wish to sing, then sing. Seeing others happy makes my day."

"I guess it certainly is?" Night breeze said with a smile. She wasn't sure if the idea would work either, but it at least was worth trying. "No worries. If it doesn't work it will be fine, It was just a spur of moment idea for me." Night breeze added with a soft tone. She just wanted him to know that he didn't have to do this if he didn't want to. Cain insisted on not taking any bits, all tho she wanted to make sure he was paid for his work. All tho she wasn't going to argue with him if he insisted. 

Having laid down a cool breeze swept by the two just a moment later. Offering her scarf to him Night Breeze gave a little smile and a blush as he finally took it after another breeze had swept by. "Why don't you keep this one for yourself? As a little gift of my own." She asked as Cain wrapped it around his neck. She had more at home and they weren't that hard to come by, Prehaps it would give Cain something to remember her by. It had seemed that for a moment Night Breeze had been lost in her thought as she sang a soft tune. Being a bit embarrassed by it when she returned to her realization that Cain was next to her. Her face turned a bright red when Cain said that he enjoyed it. "Oh, I wouldn't call it a talent of mine, But i enjoy doing it on my alone time. I'm glad you like it tho." She said with a blush as Cain said that he enjoys her voice and company. Come to think of it She did enjoy having his company to. Mostly she would come out here alone, but it was nice to have a little company now. "Well i certainly enjoy your company as well." She said with a little giggle and smile. Night breeze sat for a moment returning her gaze back to the stars again. Before looking back at him again. "So, tell me Cain." She began pausing for a moment.  "I have told you what i like. What about you? What is it that you like?" Night Breeze asked as she thought about what he could possibly like. 

"Well. . . thank you, ma'am." Candy Cain was usually the one to give gifts, not accept them. He found it strange, taking the scarf. In the back of his mind, he still felt as if he was doing something wrong. Still, he couldn't refuse a gift. That was improper, and rude. Besides. . . Cain didn't have anything against scarves, and he liked this one. Having owned none, he found it nice to be warm on a chilly night such as this. The stallion nestled himself deeper into the folds of the scarf, sighing contently, his eyelids drooping. Cain was certainly glad that everything else had gone well - she hadn't reacted negatively at all to the things he said.He felt as if he was able to open up a bit more now. Just as long as what he said felt safe to say. He cleared his throat when Night Breeze asked him about his favorite things. That had the potential to be a long list, but he'd try to keep it short.

He took a breath. "Well. . . the things I like? Well, one is working with candy, of course. . . and creating things. The showman's business has always appealed to me, that's one. . . traveling and seeing people happy is another. That's why I do this. It doesn't matter that I don't have a real house, or a "real job", as some folks I know would say. . ." Ah, yes. His parents owned a shop as well. They didn't approve of this uncertain career he'd chosen, but he seemed to be doing fine so far. "I mean, what's the point of being successful if you don't feel like you've accomplished what you wanted? I. . . don't want to sit behind a counter all day long. I want to go places. I. . ." He looked like he wanted to say more, but he stopped. "I'm rambling. Sorry. But. . . those are things I enjoy. Helping others is one, but, then again . . . don't we all?" He paused. "Well. . . the last thing I enjoy is wandering through the forest. No goal in mind, just. . . walking. I do a lot of that, of course." He blinked. "Well, I may do a bit of that tomorrow, if. . ." Cain frowned. He'd forgotten about his low supplies. "Nevermind. I'll do what I can with what I have. Tomorrow's just gonna have to be a slow day for me, heh." He smirked. His face then grew thoughtful. "Well. . . where is your spa, exactly? I might. . .  I might check it out. I don't have anything planned, and it isn't like it's a waste of time. . . of course it's not! I've shown you my profession-" He gestured to his cart. "It would be enjoyable to see yours. A-And of course, I get to see you again, so. . ." He blushed. "Why not?"

Night Breeze smiled contently at seeing Cain relaxed. She was always glad she could help. The gray unicorn watched as he spoke of the things he likes. "Traveling all over definitely sounds like fun. Do you think you will ever get to see all of Equstria one day?" She asked out of curiosity. "As long as you do what makes you happy, That is all that matters ." Night Breezed added looking at Cain with a smile, Looking curiously at him for a moment as he seemed to pause what he was saying. "Oh, No, Your not rambling honey. If there is anything you ever needed or wanted to say, I'm always more than happy to listen." She said in a soft tone turning to look directly at Cain. Night breeze had a surprised look on her face as he mentioned that he likes going for walks through the forest. It seemed he was hesitant to do so with his low supplies tho. "Well it seems we have something in common." She smiled thinking for a moment "Maybe i will go for a walk through the forest tomorrow, Would you care to join me?" She asked blushing. "We could spend some time in town together afterwards, and I could help you gather your supplies if you want to?" She asked blushing. She would mind spending time with some pony. "Oh, the shop i work in is just a four streets down from the castle, Its on the corner of the two streets, Its not hard to miss. Maybe i can show you where it is tomorrow if we do that?" Night Breeze tried to explain where her shop was. Maybe she could give him a little taste of it now.

"Maybe i could give you a little sampler now?" She giggled with a blush, looking Cain in the eye with a smile as he mentioned seeing her again. Lighting up her horn again, Night Breeze recast her soothing spell around him, The magic wrapping around him again. Scooting over close to him, She reached her front hooves out to rub gently around his ears and neck, as she began to sing in a soft voice again. Night Breeze hoped she wasn't being too intrusive now "Hows this?" She paused for a moment to ask. 

"Well, I'd certainly hope so. That is one thing I'm not sure many others have done. I mean. . . I'm no explorer, but to create things, one has to see everything, right? To get new ideas?" By now, Cain was theorizing and daydreaming about all the things he could discover and create. He'd been lots of places. He certainly hadn't been everywhere. He gave an odd, breathy laugh, distracted by the aspect of having been everywhere. "I'd be one of the first ones, wouldn't I. . .? To have been everywhere. I know that most of the world has been seen already, but I wanna see it for myself. It's a. . . childish dream, but if it help me with my original hobby. . ." He sighed. "I wish." He nodded in embarrassment. "Thanks for not being a little annoyed by it. People say I'm a nice guy, but my mind tends to wander a bit during a conversation. . . it's a slight annoyance to my parents. I learned to keep my head unscrambled. . . from time to time." Cain rubbed his forehead, then his eyes, yawning. "Course, that's a bit. . . impossible at night, wouldn't ya say?" He laughed, sounding a bit nervous now. "And now I'm just letting words spill out because I can't help myself. I'm going a bit delirious, aren't I?" He laughed nervously again. "Help." He murmured shortly after.

Truth be told, it was a combination of exhaustion and nervousness that was making him so suddenly talkative. Cain quietly bit his tongue to stop himself from saying anything else, wincing slightly. He smiled at the idea of going on a walk through the forest with Night Breeze. "I'd love that, yeah. I wouldn't mind a bit of company in town either." There. He could grab his supplies and spend a little time with the mare as well. Just thinking about it made Cain excited. He mentally wrote down the area where Night's spa was located, and double checked it, making sure he was correct. "Four streets down. . . got it." He looked up, a hoof on his chin. "That would work, yeah. I've never seen it before while I was there. I just never went that way before, 's all."

Cain's face went blank when Night Breeze suggested that he have a little sample of her work. He didn't understand for a moment. "Whadaya-" He suddenly felt the spell of relaxation take ahold of him again, and his eyelids drooped again. "Oh. Oh, I. . . get it. . " He slumped down slightly, a sigh escaping his lips. This was . . . different. If he'd been acting normally, he'd probably have had a heart attack right then and there. He wasn't used to people touching him. He certainly wouldn't be used to a mare touching him (The only one that he was fine with was his mother. That was only because she'd done it as a child, constantly fussing with his appearance, trying to make him look more and more presentable in public. Talk about annoying). Cain shivered for a moment, as if he'd been doused in cold water, before his eyes closed, and he relaxed. This was nice. . . after awhile of this, Cain glanced up at Night, an odd look on his face. "Y'know. . ." His voice was tinged with wonder. He once again felt the words slipping out before he could think about them. With the magic combined with his drowsiness, he couldn't help himself. "I didn't tell you earlier, but. . . you're real pretty, y'know. . .?" He blinked. "The prettiest mare I've ever met, yeah. . . I've been lot's of places, but you're the most. . . " He trailed off, just staring into her face. Somewhere in the back of his mind, a little voice nagged him. Real smooth, Candy Boy. . . it said sarcastically. Right now, though, Cain didn't listen to it.

"You could say I'm a bit like you. I like traveling around looking for ideas to incorporate into my very own spa that i hope to open up when i have the bits." Night Breeze thought for a moment she wasn't sure if he knew he didn't own a spa yet. "The one I'm working at now is owned by some other mare, But i hope to have my own some day." She explained as she wondered what her own spa might look like. Night Breeze gave Cain reassuring look when he thanked her for not being annoyed. "Oh, I don't think its a childish dream, and you certainly aren't a annoyance to me dear." She smiled looking directly at Cain. "There is nothing wrong with wandering a little." She smiled "Besides I enjoy listening to what ever it is you have to say." Night breeze gave off a little bit of a giggle when he mention that he was going delirious. "I don't think you are delirious, Say what ever you feel like you need to." Night breeze reassured him. "Now, why don't you rest and relax a little?" She said scooting over closer to reach him. 

"I would mind having a little company myself, It would be nice to have some pony to talk with, and share the things i find interesting with."  She said in an enthusiastic tone a slight blush growing on her cheeks. "Oh, you have no idea what you are missing. You won't regret stopping by."  Night Breeze said with smile facing Cain. Having cast her relaxation spell again, She rubbed his neck for a while, stopping for a moment when he went to say something. "Hmmm?" Night breeze hummed giving him a curious look for a moment. Sitting in amazement that he had said that for a moment "Why thank you!" She said in a surprised voice placing one of her hoofs on her chest for a moment. "It flatters me for you to say that." Night Breeze said scrambling trying to think of what to say, Her face heating up again. "I must say, You are a handsome stallion yourself." She said returning the compliment. 

Cain looked a bit disoriented for a bit, as he fought against the effects of his fatigue. He fumbled with his words for a bit, rubbing his eyes. "P-Pardon my words, I'm just a little tired, and. . . it's been a long day. . . you know how it is with jobs sometimes." He yawned. Up close, Cain's fur smelled almost like what it looked like - his pink mane smelled faintly of bubblegum, and the rest of his coat was a little more like gingerbread. "Th-That, and. . . I honestly have no idea what I'm sayin'. . . pardon me. I don't. . ." Cain sat up straighter, staring into the sky. "It's just so strange, y'know. . .? I'm a showman, but I can't handle a personal talk with someone. . . I'm more used to just being, y'know, the guy everyone just watches. . . It's easier when you're just making everyone happy. It's different when they talk to me as just plain old Cain rather than. . . Candy Cain. I just don't want others to. . . Think poorly of me just because I can't be the same pony that I am onstage."

Cain counted out the stars he could see silently, whispering to himself for a bit. "I've never had someone to talk to about these things before, y'know? I sorta just talked with myself. . . not literally, but you get the idea. I'm glad you're here. Really, I'm just glad that you're here in general, no just so that I can sit here, talkin'. . ." Another wave of the relaxing magic washed over Cain, and he nestled himself deeper into its embrace. "You. . . you must be real successful in your profession, huh. . .?" Cain would have drifted off to sleep if he hadn't been where he was. With a wave of his horn, he summoned one of his signature candy pops, sitting up to catch it in his mouth. There, that would keep him up for a little longer. "Feels like home," He murmured. It was the truth; it hadn't been the first time that Cain had ever sat outside under a starry sky. He'd done it many times during Summers in the past. He'd just never done it with another before. It was. . . nice. Though, there was one thing Cain was. . . curious about. He turned to Night Breeze, cocking his head to one side. "Y'know. . . you seem too nice not to have any friends. Isn't there anyone else you know that could have enjoyed a night like this with you?"

Cain didn't want to pry too much. He wasn't sure if it was a question she wanted to answer. Cain knew perfectly well what his excuse was whenever it came to things like these. He was just too scared of making a bad impression on others. Sure, he could get his act together when it came to people there just to appreciate his work, of his personality, but when it came to little get-togethers and other meetings, in which ponies got better acquainted with each other. . . Cain crashed. He was perfectly fine with how people normally saw him, or so he thought. He didn't want to ruin it because he was bad at talking to others. . . so he just didn't. Luckily, right now, he seemed to be doing fine with Night Breeze. He was happy about that.  He just didn't think that it could apply to others. Night was just . . . so easy to talk to. She was so nice. . . Cain didn't think that he could open up to anyone else the same way he'd opened up to her. Even if he could, he was too scared to actually try it. Right now. . . right now, he was perfectly content with just talking with. . . being with Night.

"I completely understand dear, my job can been tiring at times too. The important matter is you have finished today, and you can relax now." Night Breeze said as she relaxed him. As she did she could smell a sweet aroma coming from him. It smelled almost like gingerbread and bubblegum, It had been a rather pleasant smell for her. Night Breeze listened to Cain as he talked to her. "There is no need to apologize dear. You are perfectly fine, no ones going to think poorly of you just because you aren't the same onstage. I enjoy very much talking to you, and i am always happy to help you relax." She said reassuring him with a smile. "I'm glad you are here as well, and you can talk to me for as long as you like dear." Night Breeze smiled as he seemed to be comfortable from her relaxation magic. "I do fine i guess." She giggled finally releasing him for her magic. As she slipped her hooves around his neck hugging him for a moment, before settling down herself. Laying down close beside him She joined him in staring up at the stars. Sitting in silence for a while Cain spoke up by asking her a question. "Well.... Not really." She started pondering in thought for a moment. "I have my acquaints in my line of work, and they are all nice enough, But none of them i would really call best friends or anything." Night breeze said thinking to herself, a smile rose on her face. "But i get to spend my time here with you tho." She said with a wink returning her gaze to the stars again. Happy that she had someone to spend her time with now. 

Archived