A night out [Closed] SirAizen

DreamWanderer

"I guess. . . Yeah." Cain lowered his head into the soft grass, his chin getting tickled slightly by the little blades. He’d tried to keep himself awake with the action, but now the bed of grass seemed so soft . . . No, not a bed, but then again, Cain hadn’t slept in a bed for several months now. It had been strictly cartwork, so that meant sleeping in some. . . unique. . . places. It wasn’t something Cain wanted to delve into. His snout flushed in embarrassment and annoyance at remembering his ridiculousness back then, all in the name of adventure and the showbiz. He’d never try to spend the night on a tree again. . . He covered his snout with a hoof. He smiled faintly. “W-Well, don’t get too annoyed if I tend to go on a bit about trivial things. . . in case you didn’t notice, I monologue.” He laughed weakly. It was true. His only hope was that he didn’t ruin this friendship by talking too much. It had happened before, that was all. Then again, they probably couldn’t be considered a friend if they couldn’t accept him for who he was. . . or how long he talked. Still. . . “I guess it’s the sugar,” He muttered absently, rubbing the back of his neck, which had been thoroughly massaged. He was grateful for that. “Thank you for that, ma’am, I. . .” He appeared flustered for a bit. “I-I’ve never had a “relaxing” experience like that before. . . I have my own forms of relaxation, yeah, but, yeah, I’ve never been to a spa. I usually just go out into the forest like I said. Most of my day is just  rush, rush, rush, then a bit of break time, cos’, y’know. . . that’s sorta necessary.”

He paused, thinking. There was another question he had, he just hadn’t thought of it before. Well. . . he had, he just thought it was too personal. He wasn’t sure if she’d want to answer it. Still, it was worth a shot. Hesitantly, Cain spoke. “Well. . . here ya have me talkin’ about my own doubts ‘n all. . . but do you ever feel the same way about anything? I didn’t want to ask ‘cos it seemed too personal, but I thought. . . hey, it’s only fair. You single-handedly talked me through a lot of my doubts in a single night, some of which have been botherin’ me for. . . quite some time now. Isn’t there anything you ever think about that keeps you up? I know, it may seem too personal, but. . . think of me as your therapist right now, yeah?” He glanced at her, then up at the sky. “You helped me, now I can try and help you out a bit. It’s only fair. Unless . .” He smirked. “You’re just perfect, aren’t you?” He wouldn’t have been surprised if she had no personal issues. She’d dealt with his easily enough. . . and she seemed too nice to really have any.

“In all seriousness, though, I do know how to deal with people’s doubts and fears. Just. . . not my own.” His face flushed. That sounded ridiculous to him. “That’s how the world turns, I guess. . . or . . . how the sugar swirls. . . hm.” Cain’s face was a mask of concentration as he tried to think up candy-related metaphors for a moment. After a bit, he gave up on it, and smiled at Night Breeze. “But anyway, I’m sure I can do something for ya. I always have with others. Even if you don’t have persona issues, I’m sure there’s something more, yeah? Besides the candy, I mean.”

Night Breeze watched the stars while she listened to Cain talk. Glancing over, it seemed he was was having a hard time staying awake. She smiled before glancing back at the stars again. Yawing as a wave of tiredness came over her. Perhaps the day was finally catching up with her as well, as she settled herself down comfortably, perking a ear at what Cain was saying. "I promise not to." She smiled "In fact i enjoy your company very much, and I'm always happy to listen to whatever you have to say." Night Breeze focused on the stars as Cain thanked her. A blush and smile rose on her face. "You are welcome, dear." She giggled for a second "I guess there is a first for everything isn't there?" The gray unicorn smiled. "A break is definitely necessary, dear. It gives your mind and body a chance to rest and relax. Without a break, One would just fall apart."  She thought for a moment "I can guarantee your first time to a spa definitely won't be your last." Night Breeze smirked. 

"I am so happy that i was able to help you." Night Breeze cheerfully said before her ears perked up at Cains question. She didn't expect him to turn the tables on her like this. sitting still, she thought for a moment. "well..." She began "The only one i can think of, is that sometimes i feel like I am to caring. I have a habit of calling everyone "dear or honey" and i have found that some do not like to be called that. I genuinely care for a lot of ponies and creatures, and wish only the best for them, But a few seem to accuse me of invading their personal privacy, or get annoyed if i ask too many question or offer advice on something they find personal." She said lowering her eyes for a moment thinking about what she said. "I mean when i think about it, i can understand them. Maybe i force myself into others personal lives, or maybe i just sometimes pry on things that others find sensitive..... I don't mean any harm from it tho... I only wish the best for others, And if something bothers somepony. It bothers me too." Night Breeze let out a sigh looking down. To tell the truth this was something that weighed on her a lot. "... Its just that sometimes i feel like i don't do enough.... and other times i feel like i do too much..." She sighed as her face turned to a frown. Night Breeze certainly hoped that she hadn't been to personal with him either. She thought for awhile searching for words. "I'm not being to over caring with you, am i?" She asked wondering for a moment. 

"Fall apart, huh. . .?" Cain considered that for a moment. The way he acted around others wasn't just for show. At time, he really did feel like he could do anything, without rest. That was most of the time. He'd never felt like he'd break during the ordeals, but afterwards. . . he was exhausted. He simply wrote it off as after-work fatigue. . . was that really him pushing his limits? "Guess that one can't really notice when it's time to quit if they do everything alone, huh?" Cain turned to Night Breeze. "I envy your ability to socialize. Work with a group. I don't do that so well." He paused as he listened to what Night had to say, frowning. "Well. . . from my point of view, that just shows how big your heart is. Sounds cliche, but if people are going to react negatively to how you act around them, then that's their loss. You're a great pony. There are just some folks that naturally don't like all that attention. I learn to recognize those folks so that I don't seem too invasive whenever I try to talk to them. If I try. If you want, you could give that a try every now and then, if you think it would be better for them."

He stiffened up slightly as Night continued on. "Course you haven't been too over caring. I've been grapplin' with all that for some time now, y'know? I'm glad to have most of it off my chest, the doubts. I just needed someone to talk to 's all. So, no. I think you're. . ." Cain tried to find a word that didn't seem too personal. ". . . You're a kind, caring pony." There were other things he could have said, but he'd just leave it at that for now. Right now, he wanted nothing more than to sit here and stare at the stars. . .  maybe just fall asleep. Still, before he did, he wanted to keep talking to Night Breeze. He had no idea how much longer they'd be able to socialize. Even if everything went the way they'd agreed on. . . there were no promises for the future. He mentally shrugged to himself. Now was a good time as any for other questions. He began. "Now. . . I've been sitting here all this time, and I haven't even asked you your favorite candy. What kind of candy pony am I for not asking that yet?" He slapped his forehead. "I don't usually make friends. . .  but if I do, I give them only the best. And you look like you could use a little candy. Then again, everyone does. You always need candy." He snickered. "There's never a time not for candy, eh? I ask for future reference. I mean, if we're going to get to know each other, we gotta start somewhere a little more personal, right? I mean. . . here's an example. My favorite color's pink. Second is purple. Favorite candy is anything fruity. Y'know what I mean? I think that was what I read in that "How To Make Friends Manual"." Cain winked to show that he was joking. "I'll try to keep going with this. . . if I don't fall asleep."

"Yeh, every pony could use a rest after a days work." Night Breeze explained with a smile looking to Cain. "I wouldn't want you to overwork yourself. It never hurt to rest for a awhile. It does wonders." She said to Cain. Night Breeze didn't know if and how often he took breaks, but she would hate to see him work without one. "Aw, I think you are doing pretty well with me. I'm sure you will learn to socialize with groups easily." She said trying to encourage him. She would willing to help him with that in any way, Perhaps maybe he would do so much easier with some pony being around with him, Night Breeze was more than happy to help him in any way, She was going to ask him that but wasn't sure if that was to personal of a question to ask. 

Having Explained her feelings to Cain, She smiled at his response. "Thank you very much Dear! I'm sure i will have to try that sometime." She smiled, Cain had been such a nice pony to her. It was nice to have some pony to talk to on a personal level. "I'm glad i have been able to help, and I'm always happy to help you in any way i can. Please if there is ever anything i can do for do not be afraid to ask." She said happy that she had been able to help him. Night Breeze took a deep breath in and sighed out contently turning to stare up at the stars again. There was a moment of silence again, before Cain began to ask another question. Night Breeze turned her head to look at him as she listened to his question. "Hmmm, My favorite color and candy? My favorite color is blue, and i love a whole assortment of candy, I personally love butterscotch candies, and caramels soft or hard." Night Breeze thought for a moment giggling at Cains little joke. "Now, Why don't you rest and relax a little, You deserve it after a days work."  She said turning to Cain. "I don't mind if you fall asleep, I'm always more than happy to help you relax and drift off to sleep." She said with a smile blushing again. 

"Well, groups are a big step up, y'know?" Candy Cain looked as if he'd say more, but stopped himself. He just didn't feel like pushing the subject. Instead, he sat there, staring dejectedly at the sky. It wasn't as if he needed to socialize like a normal pony. . . people were fine with him the way he was. Then again. . . no one would ever treat him normal if he didn't. Though he was hesitant to admit it, Cain wanted that kind of life. He'd been doing shows for so long, just to show that he could live his life like that. Now, though, he couldn't help but dream about what it'd be like to just do normal things for a day, or longer. Spend a week just traveling for the heck of it. Visit some places just to say hi. Make friends. . . he found himself staring at Night Breeze again. This time, though, he didn't look away. He simply sighed, flopping sideways in the grass and daydreaming. After a moment more of thinking, Cain spoke again. "Well. . . there is something I'd like to experiment with. . . just to see how it'd go. It wouldn't have to be too long, and you don't have to. . ." Cain's city (Boston) accent seemed more pronounced when he got nervous. His gaze flitted off to the side for a moment. "Wouldya mind if I spent. . . some more time with you? I mean, not just like working together, or all that. I think I could learn a thing or two from you. Socially, I mean." 

He rolled onto his back, a wistful look on his face. "Now, I didn't have too many friends when I was younger, but the ones I did have are all. . . well, living normal lives. They got jobs. They made new friends. . . Found love. That stuff. I think I'm the only one still runnin' in circles, not knowin' how to treat folks as friends instead of fans. I mean. . . it's not like it would be a school or anything." He glanced at her. "I mean. . . I just thought. . . maybe we could just stick together, y'know? I could, um. . . work at your place, help you out. I think I might give my job a little break, like you said. There, I could socialize with yer customers. . . and you, of course. Learn to be a people person. . . and of course, spend time with you. Again; it was just an idea. I didn't want to intrude on your life. . . if you'd rather keep it simple."

Cain seemed curious about what Night Breeze said next. "Really," He murmured, staring back at the sky. "I should probably get myself up t'date on all this magic that's out. I never really took the time to learn it. Maybe visit a library, I dunno." He shrugged. "You could try it out, sure. Unless, of course, you wanted to talk a little more. I'm . ." He gave a great yawn. ". . . Open to a little more, if you so desire. We could. . . I dunno. This is the first time I've ever done any of this. What would a couple ponies do about now, eh?" He honestly didn't know. He was still rusty with the whole "social" thing. He still wasn't sure if he was being too personal, or too isolated right now. But he wanted to do it right.

"I understand, I wouldn't want to pressure you into anything." Night Breeze said in a calm reassuring voice as she watched the stars. The soft glow of Canterlot's lights in the foreground. She began to relax herself when she notice Cain looking at her before he rolled over on his side. Giggling a bit as he flopped over, as she laid in the grass with her hooves tucked under her. Tilting her head in curiously when Cain began to speak again. "Hmmm. Experiment, What do you mean?" She asked curiously before Cain began to give her his answer. " Oh, I don't mind at all, Dear. I would be more than happy to. I always enjoy having company, and sharing things with each other." Night Breeze gave him a smile as he seemed to be acting nervous about it.

Turning to look at him again . Night Breeze turned her head to listen to Cain talk. "I don't think your running in circles. Just because you don't live the same way as your friends do doesn't mean that your doing it wrong. As a traveler, just imagine all the sights you have seen across Equestria that your friends haven't." Night Breeze said as she thought about it. "By all means, Do what makes you happy." She smiled placing a hoof on him for a moment. "You are not intruding on my life. I rather much enjoy spending time with you." It was always nice to have some pony to be around with to share things with and talk to. "Maybe we could visit the library together sometimes." She suggested as she yawned herself. Night Breeze much more comfortable with him now. It was nice to have some ponies company, but she wasn't sure how personal she could get. Deciding to see how things went. Night Breeze stretched out briefly before settling down next to him and rested her head against him as she stared up at the sky sighing out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cain felt as if he could finally relax. Night Breeze was fine with anything. . . he closed his eyes, resting his head in the grass again. With everything said and done, he felt too tired to do anything else. . . He probably should have headed off to his cart, it could get cold out here. He stretched out a bit, and was about to stand, when Night Breeze rested her head against him. Cain seemed to tense up a bit, though Night couldn't see his expression. After a few moments, he finally. relaxed again, staring at the ground. He smiled faintly, replying to her last comment. "Yeah, that'd be nice.. . ." He slowly lowered his head back to the ground, staring down the hill at everything below them. He breathed out, shifting slightly, before speaking one more time. ". . . You'll still be here tomorrow?" That had already been confirmed earlier, yes. . . but Cain's voice had a strange tone to it. . . worried, almost scared. He gave a shaky laugh. 

"S-Sorry if it comes out as strange, but this is all. . . new for me. I'm just going about my dandy business and you show up.You're kind to me. I can talk to you. You're. . ." Cain seemed like he would say more, but he stopped himself, shaking his head. "Point is, it all seems too good to be true, y'know? I just. . ." He paused for a moment, as if he wasn't sure if he should keep talking. "I'm not sure. . . I just don't want this to end up being something. . . not. . . real?" That spoke lengths about Cain's mind. Cain quickly rushed to try and assure her. "I-I know it sounds strange, I just. . . imagine you're dreaming about something amazing. Everything is perfect. You don't want it to end. And then you wake up." Cain was still turned away from Night Breeze, so she couldn't see his expression in the darkness. "How do I say this. . . what if. . . it happened to you while you were awake? Imagine that you just imagined everything. You found something, or someone, that made you happy. Then it turns out your head made it up. Not fun." Cain raised a hoof to his eyes for a moment, before shaking his head again. "Gosh darn allergies. . . my point is. . . this is real, right?" It was an embarrassing question for Cain to ask, real or not real. He hadn't told anyone about the occasional things he saw, but weren't really there. And they seemed to happen at the worst of times. . . he didn't want people thinking he was crazy. So he said nothing. Now, though. . . he wanted to be sure.

Relaxing for a moment, Night Breeze righted herself up again to listen to Cain. "Of course i will be." She smiled reassuring Cain. She had thought about getting a nights rest at her home before Cain had showed up, And now she seemed to be content just staying with him. Giving off a big yawn Night Breeze sighed out, feeling awfully tired from the length of the day. Tilting her curiously at Cain as he seemed to be looking away for some reason, Almost like he was nervous about something. "Oh, no reason to be sorry. I don't think it is strange at all. Besides you where the one that found me first." She giggled. Cain paused in his speech almost like he was going to say something else but didn't. Looking at him curiously Night Breeze was going ask what was on his mind, but she didn't want to push the issue. 

It had flattered Night Breeze for him to say it felt like he was dreaming, but he almost seemed serious about it. Thinking for a moment she collected her thoughts. "I can understand how you are thinking. It makes me joyful to hear that you are happy.." She began. "Trust me this is all real. You are here with me, I am here with you. I will be here for as long as you want me to." She said trying to reassure him reaching out a hoof to touch him. "Of course this is real honey." She said just a cool breeze swept by chilling her slightly. Having reassured him of it being reality, Night Breeze thought for a moment for something to say. "So, when would you like me to go along with you in that trip through the forest?" She thought back to their earlier conversations.

Cain didn't respond to that; he still didn't turn towards her, but his shoulders relaxed some. "Alright then." He said after a minute or so. He was right, then. He wished he didn't have to be so uncertain about these kinds of things. Still, that was how it went. . . he exhaled through his nostrils. He felt his pulse slowing down some. He'd been extremely tense this entire time, but now he was finally, truly relaxing. He honestly didn't know how no one else had decided to be her friend, constantly with her. The effect she had on him, both magical and personality-wise, was. . . he didn't know how to explain it. Cain had felt happy many times, yes. This was a different kind of "happy". He wasn't sure if he knew what it was. If he did know it, it made him nervous all over again. No, no, this was completely normal. . . he'd just never had a real friend before, that was all.

Yeah, that was all, for sure.

Cain spoke again. "I'll try to be a good friend, then. You already know this is all new to me. . .  I think that I'll be able to work it out with you, though. I. . ." Cain didn't think he could really say any more on the matter. He was tired, and he didn't want to say anything that made her think of him differently. They were officially friends now. He didn't want to ruin that for the future. ". . .I'll make sure that you're happy as well. I'm the candy pony; it's my job, heh. . ." Cain paused to consider when the two might be able to head off into the forest for a walk. "Well, I'm not sure when you're working. . . I'll just go see you if you are. Whenever you have enough free time works for me, whether that be tomorrow or next week. I don't want to waste any time doing other things when we're not really busy, y'know?"

"Oh I'm sure you will be." Night Breeze said joyfully in response to him saying about trying to be a good friend. "I'm sure you will do just fine, I can tell you have an amazing personality yourself you know?" She said looking to Cain. He still seemed to be acting a little bit nervous, but it seemed he was relaxing, and wasn't as tense as he was before. It much pleased her that he was beginning to relax. She felt content being around him. Night Breeze had always cared for other ponies, and only wished them the best, but she felt more caring for him than she did any other pony. She just couldn't place the feeling. Staring back at the stars for a few minutes Night breeze seemed lost in thought as she tried to figure out her next words and these feelings she had been having. "And I will be sure that I am always there to care for and cherish you forever." She smiled blushing, hoping that she hadn't let too much slip. 

Sitting for a moment in thought. Night Breezed pondered when they would taking this trip through the forest. To tell the truth she was very much looking forward to being able to spend time with somepony outside of a business setting for once. "Well I am free tomorrow, then i have a few days of work before i have a whole day off again. When ever works best for you dear. If you want to. I can give you my house number so you can come find me on one of those day. Or if your going to be around, I can come find you?" She asked with a smile before glancing back up at the stars again waiting to see what he would say.

"R-Really. . .?" Candy Cain didn't really know how to respond to that. Any of that. He'd been complimented before, but never on such a personal level. Then again. . . he couldn't stress enough how little he knew about being personal with someone outside of one's family. He knew how to be reasonably personal when it came to being a good person, but not with a specific person. Not like this. He wasn't sure how to answer that. He gave a high, nervous laugh. She probably hadn't meant to word it the way she did, Night Breeze, but still. . . he liked the idea. Cain didn't want to screw this up. He had a real friend now. He planned on staying by her side for as long as possible. Not physically, of course, but he couldn't help but try to always be there for those in need. Cain already knew that he'd devote much of his attention to Night Breeze and helping out with her own jobs and hobbies. He'd still do his shows, for sure; that was his life, and that would never change. Still, now he had something else to devote his time to. He honestly thought that Night Breeze would get a little more time than his usual hobby. He was eager to experience more of these feelings. He wasn't letting go of them easily.

Cain considered his options. He was a freelance showman, so he wasn't exactly restrained by his job, unless he announced a showing beforehand, which he hadn't yet. That gave him more than enough time to head into the woods. He could do it now, or almost any other day, really. "Tomorrow works for me. I don't usually have a schedule on me - I kinda just wander, ha.If you feel like doing it sooner than later, I'll be around tomorrow. If not, I'll probably work on replenishing my materials. Can't forget about that. Really, my schedule is yours." He paused. "After all, I will be aiding you with your work sooner or later, correct?" He wasn't sure if Night Breeze's answer to that was officially yes or no. After another great yawn, Candy Cain pulled his new scarf up to his snout; he hated being cold, and his face usually got the worst of it. "Anything works, really. . ." He murmured, eyelids drooping. He was up too late now. . . he really needed to sleep. . .

"Yes of course dear, I can tell you have an amazing personality and i would love to get to know you better." Night Breeze said with a smile as she thought about it. She never was really this personal with others, why was she more interested in him than all the other ponies she dealt with? There was just something about him that she liked and she just couldn't figure it out as of for now. Come to think of it Night Breeze rather much enjoyed the idea of being able to spend her free time with someone, and be able to share each others days with one another, and just to have somepony to talk to personally. In her line of work she often talks to her customers on regular basis, but most of it was often the same simple questions she asked customers all the time, as most wanted to focus on relaxing more then chatting. It was rather nice to be able to have a lengthy conversations with somepony for once she thought to herself. 

"I will be ready when ever you are, dear." Night Breeze said with a smile "I don't want to rush you into anything, you do things when you see fit." She added on. She didn't want to just show up out of no where and start commanding when and when he wouldn't do things. That just wouldn't seem right in her mind. "If you ever need to find me. I am usually at the spa i work at, or at home which is the 5th house up from the dirt path below us leading up to the city. If I am at neither places feel free to make yourself at home, and I will most times be home in a little while." She explained looking to make sure he got all that. Night Breeze perked her ear when he mention of helping her with her work. "You don't have to if you don't want to, I wouldn't want to force you into anything, But if you want to than who am i to argue with?" She asked giggling. Looking over she could tell he was getting awfully tired, admittedly she was herself a little. Without saying a word she laid down and scooted over to him close, and lit up her horn again casting the relaxation magic around him again. 

"Alrighty then. . . works for me. . ." Candy Cain gava a little nod before laying his head down in the grass again, closing his eyes. He was satisfied now. With the prospect of working with Night Breeze in the near-future lingering in his mind, he almost couldn't fall asleep. Almost. But he knew that it would only hurt him the next day if he didn't get his rest now. After all, he might ge going over to see her tomorrow, for all he knew. He wasn't sure how these next few days would go. He hoped he enjoyed them to their fullest. His mind drifted over to how working in a spa would be like. He'd be able to interact with other ponies, yes. . . he really just wanted to be around Night, though. That was enough for him to be happy. Who cared if he had to rub a few shoulders or make that special candy a few more times to do so? Night might even show him how it's done, that sort of magic. . . Cain knew he probably wouldn't master it like she had, but he had to start somewhere.

As he thought all this, he felt another sensation come over him, Night Breeze's calming magic again. Now he really couldn't keep his eyes open. He wanted to make another comment, or at least some sort of joke before he fell asleep - he usually had one for everyone before he left, or something of the like. But he couldn't think now. The grass looked so inviting, almost like a pillow. . . he probably should have gone to sleep in his cart, but. . . he glanced over to Night Breeze again. I. . . suppose that sleeping out under the stars couldn't hurt anyone, he thought to himself. He couldn't stop his face from blushing as he closed his eyes and drifted off. After a long bit of silence, Cain finally spoke again, quietly. "Hey, Night. . .?" He sounded like he had something serious to say again. Still, if Night Breeze waited for him to speak, she'd be disappointed. Cain never finished his question; his breathing slowed, signifying that he was finally asleep. . .

Archived