Wandering Astray [Closed] Pretzelparty

DreamWanderer

The Morning would find Night Breeze on a boat heading for the island of Neighpon. She was far from her little home in Canterlot, But she was heading out to get some time away from all the ponies for awhile, and possibly find some inspiration for her work at the spa in Canterlot. Resting her front hooves up on the railing of the ship gazing off into the ocean at the small island that was growing increasingly larger the closer they got. Admittedly she was heading into this island knowing very little of it, But visiting was all part of the learning experience wasn't it? On her back she carried two small bags one on each side of her which where held shut with a little metal button. One she kept empty for any interesting like flowers or other small things she found in, and another she kept a journal which she would take with her to sketch out the things she found interesting that where to big to put in her bag. The ship soon docked near a town, and the call was given for passengers to disembark. Stepping off Night Breeze took a deep breath before gazing off towards the direction she was going to travel.

Leaving the town behind The light grey unicorn trotted off down the path around all kinds of mountains. It had been a pretty peaceful morning out, She much preferred this to bustling Canterlot she smiled to herself taking in the sights around her. She trotted down the path in the forest humming lowly to herself when a mountain top caught her eye. This one stuck out from all the others. A strange green fog seemed to envelope around it. What a strange occurrence. What could possibly be causing that green "stuff" to surround the mountain? she thought to herself as she stared at the shrouded peaks. She was genuinely confused and curious as to what may be causing such a affect. Sitting down, and lighting up her horn she opened the small button, and removed her Journal, and pen from the bag. Floating it in front of her She opened it and began to sketch it out on a blank page. Having finished, she put everything back in the bag and set out to see what was at the top of this mountain. 

Reaching the base of the mountain Night Breeze gazed up at it. The mist surrounding it seemed very ominous being directly underneath it, but she wasn't going to let that stop her. A narrow dirt path seemed to wind its way up part way of the mountain from the base. Hiking her way was very tiring, but she was nearing this strange mist little by little. She was a bit nervous when she got within a Hooves reach of it, Sitting down in front of it she waited a moment to collect her thoughts. Gulping she slowly reached her hoof out to stick it inside of this mist. Drawing it back out she examined herself, Whatever this stuff was it didn't seem to hurt her. This was the most peculiar thing She thought to herself. The narrow trail seemed to continue into the mist, The climb also seemed to be much steeper as well. Taking a moment to get courageous enough to venture into it She stood up and took the first couple of steps inside. Keeping her head low she kept eye on the trail underneath her hooves. It was a blinding mist and one could hardly see the bottom of your hooves. Night Breeze trekked through this mist for what seemed like a eternity, She shivered with a little bit of a fear of what could be hiding in this mist, but she pressed on. The thought crossed the back of her mind that just maybe she shouldn't be wandering around these parts, But it was far to late to turn back now. Turning around would easily find her lost. She had to press on in one direction and that was up. 

After awhile Night Breeze finally manage to make it to the other side of the mist she turned around with a smile to look upon her accomplishment. Now it was time to see what was at the top of this mountain. No doubt it had to have a spectacular view from its peak she thought. The upper part of the mountain seemed to be no different from the part below the mountain, She just couldn't wrap her mind around what this strange mist was. Putting that in the back of her mind tho she thought of what she came up here for, She wanted to look for inspiration for her work at the spa and to get a little relaxation in herself. Having wandered around the mountain for awhile lowly singing to herself, Night Breeze decided to find a place to sit down for awhile and rest. Finding a small clearing she sat down and took her journal out and sat it down on the ground in front of her to sketch out and describe the strange occurrence which she had seen. Looking down to write in her journal she soon zoned out that which was around, as she sat humming softly to herself. Seeming indulged in her journal. 

cpUiUKK.jpg

Perhaps saying it was fine for the rest of the family to head out for a while wasn't the best idea. Just as he'd finished waving goodbye to Niju and the pups he'd felt a sort of scratchiness in his throat. He'd paid it no mind and slept in for the most part since he hadn't sensed anyone fast approaching the mountain lately. When he finally woke he immediately wished he'd stayed asleep. His head felt foggy, his muscles ached, and he could barely smell a thing.  It'd been at least thirty years since he'd come down with a cold... of course it would manifest when his family had taken off. 

Lucky for Taira (and the house he lived in now) He had a plan for this sort of occasion. First: leave the house so he didn't make a mess of things. Second: Secure the Mountain perimeter. Third: Get food. Fourth: Get rest.

That First step was easy enough. Taira calmly strode out of his home, taking a moment to wince at his reflection in the mirror before finally vacating the premises. He breath deep of the morning air as deeply as he could before he fell into a fit of coughing. He let out a deep sigh as he finally steadied his breath enough that he could sort through what his nose caught on the wind. Immediately his eyes widened and his jaw dropped. He definitely slept too long. Someone was inside the barrier... somewhere at the southern entrance to the valley at the top. A foreigner by the smell of them. He must have forgotten to leave that sign up to warn visitors against entering the mist. This wasn't the best start to his process: already failing at step two.

With a weary sigh he moved on along to the other end of the valley towards the clearing where Night Breeze was staying. At least she wasn't moving, with how he felt he wasn't sure he'd be able to keep track of her in the normal way. He took a deep breath through his mouth and tried to pull up his Disguise. Even in this cramped Pony form he felt exhausted. Just as he came around the Corner and entered the clearing he looked like the stocky kirin he usually pretended to be, although he looked tired and slightly red nosed. "Good Morning, Stranger!" He called out in a semi congested tone, "You must be quite the climber to get this far up the mountain! What's your name?"

Night Breeze had momentarily forgotten about her surroundings as she wrote in her journal. Busy drawing and writing she hadn't noticed the big Kirin approach her. With a Gasp she jumped up from her sitting place with a start. Turning to see the Kirin she started to relax again, A small blush and smile rose on her face from the embarrassment of being frightened. "Oh, Good morning to you too." The gray unicorn said in a soft manner facing the large Kirin. "I guess i am,?" She giggled lightly regaining her composure "You must be quite the climber as well? You made it past the strange fog mist stuff as well? Its quite peculiar isn't it?" Night Breeze said assuming he was just some other pony that was visiting. "Oh, My names Night Breeze" She replied picking her book and pen back up with her horn and placing them back in the bag on her side. "I was just up here to get some relaxation, and find some inspiration for my work at the spa back in Canterlot...What brings you up here?" She said as she stood back upright again a warm smile on her face. Night Breeze looked curiously at him, He seemed a bit congested. Maybe her healing or soothing magic could help? She had never tried to see if either would work on sickness. She stood for a moment thinking, glancing up the mountain again, Was this pony going to join her? Or was he just simply passing by? Night Breeze had to go see the peak of this mountain the view had to be amazing from up there.  

LHoNTYo.jpg

"I actually live up here with my family. They're away at the moment." The kirin stepped on ahead with a pleasant smile, "I'm Taira. I actually usually guide tourists through these mountains to explore." A harsh sniffle wrinkled up his muzzle for a moment, he could tell she wasn't like him: not a yokai. Even through his plugged sinuses he could smell she was just a normal pony. Her magic wasn't particularly potent, or all that dangerous seeming. She couldn't have just powered through the mists with some artifact, Taira's sickness must have left the enchantment weaker. Now that he looked over the area he noticed the mist was much closer to the base of the mountain than he last recalled placing it... perhaps the distance had been schewed by his sickness as well.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Night Breeze.  Did you say you worked at a spa?" He'd heard of medicinal aromatic oils and scents that were sold in Equestria... for obvious nose based reasons he had forgone visiting them.  A brow arched when he took notice of her book, he caught of a glimpse of some picture between the pages and tilted his head, "Are you an artist?"

"Oh, you have quite the beautiful place to call home then." Night Breeze smiled looking at Taira, At least he seemed to be friendly enough. "...I hope I'm not a bother by being here?" She asked thinking for a moment hoping she wasn't being intrusive. The kirin mentioned that he was guide for the mountains. Now she really did worry a bit that she was someplace she shouldn't be. It didn't seem all that dangerous in her eyes tho, But if he mentioned of it she would be all to happy to go somewhere else. "That certainly sounds like a fun job." The gray unicorn kept a smile on her face trying to remain calm. Having put her book back into her bag the large kirin seemed to notice her drawings inside. "Oh, by no means. I just like drawing things that i find interesting along the way that i can't fit in my bag. All tho its not good drawing, It gives me something to remember it by. I would bring a camera for accuracy, but i always find drawing more fun, Maybe i have to bring one along with me sometime." The mare tried to explain as she thought to herself somewhat nervously. Sitting back down on her hind legs she returned the greeting Taira gave. "It's a pleasure to meet you too, Taira" She grinned kind of shyly. "Oh, yes i work at a spa all the way back in Canterlot. Admittedly i came here without doing any prior research into this place. I was just kind of wandering around in hopes of finding something that could inspire my work, and help me relax myself. I was wandering through the mountains when this one caught my eye with its green mist surrounding it, And, well my curiosity just got the best of me." She smiled with a shy blush on her face, looking up at the Stocky kirin hoping he would understand. 

LHoNTYo.jpg

It was always nice to meet a pony who could appreciate the mountain valley's natural majesty, "Thank you. The place has been my family's territory for a long time." He shook his head at the suggestion of her being a bother, "We don't mind visitors who don't mean any harm... besides It's my fault for not putting up the sign by the path." He looked down the path that Night Breeze took. "It's a long way down though, and I'm not so cruel as to ask you to leave just after arriving. Especially if it's on an empty stomach."

"... Hmm. There are plenty of other interesting sights on the mountain if you'd like to visit. An abandoned village, An ancient structure of stones, Very nice Waterfall, A long rolling meadow. If you're looking to make some memories of unique spots or stoke your inspiration... I'd say you came to the right place." He gave the mare a smile as he rubbed a hoof to his muzzle, "I can still show you around but I think I'll have to take it slow.  I'm not at my best today." As if to rive that point his muzzle scrunched up with a harsh sniffle.

Night Breeze sat for a moment thinking about how Taira said the mountain had been his families territory for a long time, Did all that strange mist have to do anything with him? She thought to herself, It just all seemed strange to her. The unicorn tilted her head at the mention of a sign he forget to put up down the path. "Is this green mist stuff shrouding the mountain always here?" She asked out of curiosity. "Well I'm glad that I'm not of a bother." She said with a smile. Her face began to light up a little as Taira mentioned of all the sights that could be seen on the mountain. "Ooo, That all sounds like fun, The Ancient structure of stones sounds like it could provide lots of inspiration to the atmosphere and theme of my spa, and the waterfall could provide inspiration for the relaxation." Night Breeze smiled enthusiastically. She was hoping that she could use all these ideas for the building of her own spa when she finally had all the bits saved up. "I would love to see around." She gave off a enthusiastic smile "But, please don't strain yourself." Night Breeze said with a bit of a concerned look. She hadn't thought of bringing any of her spa supplies with her, but maybe her magic could help ease it? "If you want I have a magic spell that might help with what ever ails you?" Night Breeze asked "I have a healing spell, but I have never tried it on illnesses so i can't guarantee it works, But i can try if you want, There is also a soothing spell i use a lot at the spa, maybe that can help relax you a little?" She was all to happy to help any pony. Some might see her as over caring, but she couldn't stand to see someone unwell.  

LHoNTYo.jpg

"Actually it... appeared about ... uh I think it was a hundred years ago, but it got exceptionally thick about fifty years ago. I did manage to find a way to part the mists to let trah..." The stallion's muzzle scrunched up as he felt a tickle flare up in his muzzle, "Ahh..." He seemed frozen in place for a few seconds as his jaws hung open wide until all the tension left and he heaved a sigh. Accursed False starts. With an annnoyed sigh he continued, "As I was saying. To let travelers in."

A smile came to his lips as he heard Night Breeze's excitement, "I suggest the Waterfall first it has the nicest view from the top or bottom. A very long time ago, monks used to come to meditate under it. I've never tried it myself but I hear it's very soothing." Another sniffle interrupted his train of thought. Taking a few steps to the edge of the clearing where he showed off the rest of the mountain valley, stopping only when he heard he worrying about him straining himself.  He let out a proud laugh , trying not to make it sound dismissive. "I'm sure I can handle a bit of a walk at the very least. If I'm going to be a good provider I can't let a simple cold slow me down."

His ears did perk up for  moment when he heard the suggestion of a healing spell, "... a spell?"  he mulled the idea over. It's been ages since he'd tried any magical remedies from ponies. A couple hundred years ago some villager brought some incense by they thought might help. That ended terribly but at least this was some sort of casted magic straight from a unicorn. "Hmm..." Taira turned to Night Breeze, "... Well. I certainly won't turn down such a kind offer. Even if it doesn't work we can still say we tried, right? How do we start?"

"Oh wow, That's so interesting, When i came up here i figured it was some kind of strange weather phenomenon." Night Breeze said with a bit of enthusiasm. "I am mostly certainly going to have to learn more about this place." She said with a smile pausing for a moment as Taira seemed to have a sneeze coming. "You must have learned a lot about this place in your time here." She said standing up again. A thought entered her mind, Why did he live at the top of mountain ? He said that the mountain had been his families territory for quite some time, and this mist appeared somewhere around a hundred years ago. Could his line of family been living here before the mist appeared? Maybe she was thinking to deeply into this, She dismissed the thought. 

"That definitely sounds like the first place to go!" She smile stepping to follow Taira. "I'm sorry if i may seem a bit too over caring at times. Its part of what i do, and I enjoy caring for others, and i would hate to make you do anything, especially on a day that you aren't feeling well." She tried to explain, She just hated to see anyone not feeling well. "I hope you don't mind me taking inspiration from some of the features of you home land here. I have been saving up the bits to build my own spa, And i thought maybe i could theme some of it after the landmarks around here." She added on with a smile thinking to herself, as Taira stopped when he heard mention of her healing spell. "Ah, Yes, I have a healing spell i have used before on scratches and scrapes, and other physical pains, But never on Illnesses before" The unicorn said explaining as Taira turned to face her. She was happy to hear that he didn't mind. "Its actually quite rather simple. All you have to do is stand there, and I cast the spell. It may take a moment to fully work tho." Night Breeze looked Taira over. He was rather quite stocky in size. The healing spell she used always seemed to wear her out a little,  But It might take a bit more magic to work on somepony of his size, than she had ever done before.She was all to happy to help tho. 

• 2 weeks later...

LHoNTYo.jpg

Taira couldn't help but give a warm chuckle, "Ha! You almost remind me of my mate." He let out a dreamy sigh, "She's got a caring streak as well... allthough she's a bit more focused on just our family rather than healing everyone with the sniffles. As for inspiration, Don't worry about it. I love helping out artists and artisans. Used to do it a lot more in my youth." 

He stretched in place a moment before standing still waiting for the spell. For a moment he was worried that his nose might react badly to the foreign magic... but well it was worth a shot at breathing unimpeded again. If anything went wrong he could always figure something out to remedy the situation, luck had been on his side for the most part as of late. "Well, the only way to find out if it works is to try! I'm ready when you are." He gave the mare a hearty smile.

"Well, I'm glad that I'm not the only one." Night Breeze chuckled. Her mind wondered in amazement as she thought about all the ideas she could use in her spa. "I'll be sure that I make my inspirations as accurate as possible." She smiled preparing herself to try the healing spell on him. Night Breeze wasn't quite sure how this was going to go, but she had to at least try. "Ok, This shouldn't take but a moment if it works." The gray unicorn explained as she focused on the spell. Facing Taira, Night Breeze took a deep breath in and out as she closed her eyes focusing herself on the spell and what it is she wanted it to heal. Lighting up her horn, a blue magic aurora matching that of her eyes floated slowly out from her horn towards Taira. It took some extra effort, but she managed to get her magic to fully envelope around him. The blue magic coiled around him in a single stripe that continued until it had wrapped around most of the large kirin. The magic continuing in loops around him, Night Breeze focused all she could on her magic. She had managed to cast the spell, if it would work that was anyone guess. Straining to continue casting the spell after a minute she stopped. Exhausted, Night Breeze Finally opening her eyes again to see if the spell had worked. 

• 2 weeks later...

LHoNTYo.jpg

Taira blinked as he saw that aurora in the air,  if anything it was a pretty spell. As it drew closer he noticed a scent coming off of it (though it was likely his nose was the only one perceiving it) If he had t compare it to something he'd say that it reminded him of peppermint. Like those candies he came across in his travels through Equestria. He wrinkled his nose as the spell drew closer and then surrounded him! He felt a tiny hint of panic. Did he fall into some elaborate trap? 

His alarm soon vanished as he felt the magic soaking into his form... it was like aloe on a burn, except all over. He felt tension, stress and exhaustion for his very long life melt away. His nose still itched and he was still a tad congested but he felt more energetic and less like something was sapping his strength! To test whether of nor this sensation was fleeting he stretched out his legs and trotted in place... then did one lap around Night Breeze, his smile growing all the while. "This spell is incredible!" He said with more vigor than earlier, "I feel like I could run across the mountain range and back! Nose is still a little stuffy, but I can manage and it's hardly the first time I've dealt with it." 

Perhaps the lack of complete cleansing had more to do with the fact his equine visitor had calculated the spell for the size he appeared to be to her, and not the size he truly was. For the moment it wasn't worth revealing his true nature to the kind tourist, but still a thank you was definitely in order! He looked up and down over Night Breeze, "Um... Maybe we should get something to eat or drink before I start showing you around... you look tired."

Opening her eyes again Night Breeze smiled as the spell seemed to have worked, watching as he trotted in place before making a circle around her. "Thank you! I'm so glad that it helped, and I'm always more than happy to ever help in any way." She seemed excited that her spell worked on illnesses as well, all tho not to full effect, but well enough. Night Breeze was rather much curious why her spell hadn't taken it all away. Maybe she didn't cast the spell for long enough? She wondered sitting down to rest herself a moment after casting the spell. Night Breeze perked her ear at the offer and the mention that she looked tired. 

Perhaps a little something to drink wouldn't hurt. Hiking up the mountain and casting the spell did make her a little tired. Night Breeze had always been a bit shy about offers like that when she visited other ponies. She hated to take or make other ponies do things for her when she visited. It just didn't seem right in her mind, but she didn't want to seem unkind tho. "Um, Sure, I could use just something little to drink i guess." She said going to stand up again. "Oh, I'll be fine." She smiled "The healing spell i use can be a bit tiring to cast at times, But as long as it helps others I am more than willing to do it." She explained. "After all I would hate to come up here unexpectedly and make you show me around when you are feeling unwell." She smiled.

• 3 weeks later...

LHoNTYo.jpg

"Hmmm..." Taira smiled at the mare, "Well the cabin isn't far away. There's some food there and I can offer ya. I'm sure the family won't be  too bothered to hear I fed a traveler in need of some hospitality. Especially if they helped me get over a cold!" He looked the mare over once or twice again to be sure sure she could still walk to the cabin or if he might need to go get the stuff. She seemed to be doing better since her spell cast but, the old stallion kept glancing back when he began to lead on ahead down a serene looking path through the woods. 

The sounds of the forest filled the air. Birds chirped, wind blew, the cicada sang their solemn calls and those seemed to echo around the tree trunks all around the pair.  In addition to the natural symphony around the, Seemed that Taira was in good enough spirits to hum some upbeat number wordless with each step. With the next turn, the cozy cabin came into view. It wasn't terribly large, had a simple tile roof and seemed to be sturdy enoguh to survive the elements up here at the very least. The doors and windows seemed a bit larger than one might see as normal, but hardly out of place for ponies with larger frames.

"I wish I'd learned how to heal things... sadly my magic seems only good at relaxing ponies or sometimes confusing them." 

"Oh, um. Sure" Night Breeze said shyly as she began to follow Taira. "You don't have to tho, I would hate to take anything off of you." she tried to explain walking along. Glancing around the forest around them was serene and calm. Only the sounds of bird songs, and the call of the cicada which seemed to call from all around them broke the silence, along with some tune that Taira seemed to be humming to himself. "It certainly sounds like you have a nice family." She commented along the way. Taking in all the sights along the way Night Breeze could see all kinds of wildlife around the pristine forest. The placed he called home was such a beautiful place, Night Breeze had almost felt a bit envious of being able to live among a place like this. 

Night breeze had gotten a bit lost in the sounds, and the scenery as she followed along with him. Turning a corner in the path she could see a cabin that sat along the path in the wooded area. It wasn't anything impressive, but was very quaint and cozy in style. It almost reminded her of some kind of peaceful resort lodge tucked back in the forest that ponies would pay bits to stay in for vacations an getaways, But instead this was his home! How peaceful and serene must it be to call this place home she thought as the two neared the place. "You certainly have such a beautiful place to call home." She remarked looking around. Night Breeze titled her head in curiosity when Taira mentioned of his magic. "You have relaxing magic as well? She asked a bit surprised "Well there is nothing wrong with that, at least I'm not the only one." She smiled adding on, admittedly she was rather curious about his magic now. He wasn't a unicorn so she wasn't sure how his magic worked. She definitely would have to read up about the kirin later to find out. 

• 2 weeks later...

LHoNTYo.jpg

"Nonsense! With how few visitors we get up here, it's my duty as a host to provide for them. especially one's who've been as giving as you." Taira wasn't the type to leave a kind pony alone in the mountains, "... Besides It not like I have too much that's worth taking." He  chuckled softly as he opened up the door. Once Night breeze was inside, Taira galloped ahead and moved along to the kitchen. In a flash he came back with some cool water for the mare.

"I can also get some tea if you prefer that. " He said with a pleased smile,  "We've got a decent assortment." With Breeze's question, Taira gave a nod. "Perhaps it's because of the environment I grew up in, but I'm very capable of exhaling thick mists that can do quite a few things. Seems the default for them is a relaxing mountain scent." He takes in a deep breath and exhales a puff of fragrant mist that wafted and swayed in the air before it snatched up a box of tissues from the kitchen counter and brought it over to the stocky stallion. "It's a pretty useful skill." He said as he dabbed his snout with one of the squares, "On a good day I can make this place very... zen."

Night Breeze glanced around in wonder as she approached the home. Walking in as Taira opened the door she thanked him on the way in, pausing just inside to look around she noticed the house seemed a bit larger than normal ponies homes, but she thought nothing more of it. After all he was a bit bigger than your average pony.  Night Breeze hadn't glanced around the house more than a moment before she notice Taira was all ready back with some water for her. "Oh, Thank you." She said with a smile floating the water with her own magic to take a sip of it. "Oh, no, I'm fine with the water." She said smiling as she momentarily seated herself to sip at the water. This water had tasted much purer than any other water she had tasted, and it most refreshing to drink after the climb up the mountain. "Thank you so much, I must say you have been quite giving yourself." She said trying to think of something that she could do in return for his kindness. Remembering why she came here, Night Breeze came up with an idea. "When i get my own spa open sometime. How about i give you free visits to the spa for a whole lifetime? Its the least i can do, since I'm taking inspiration from you." She kind of seemed in thought for a moment after saying that, Realizing just how far from Canterlot she was. Did he get to Equsetria much? Now she kind of felt awkward about it. 

Night Breeze looking in curiosity as Taira breathed out a green mist that floated across the room to pickup a box of tissues. Its scent spread as made its way back with the tissues. It smelled like a fresh mint candy, as was rather quite a nice smell. Titling her head for a moment she thought to herself. So was his magic basically just like that of a unicorn like her, just that it was a mist that he breathed out instead of spell cast from a horn? "Did you have to learn this magic or did it just come to you naturally from living here?" She asked a bit curious about it all. Did he learn this magic from the mist which surrounded the mountain? What caused this particular mountaintop to be so magical compared to the others? She tried to make sense of it all, but The gray unicorn just couldn't wrap he head around it. Night Breeze was very much curious now what his magic could do. She was always one to help others relax, but never really had experienced such kind of magical relaxation herself besides that of the relaxing places she spent her time off at. "what all can your magic do?" She asked a bit curiously "If you don't mind me asking of course." She added with a smile taking another sip of the water. 

• 3 weeks later...

LHoNTYo.jpg

Before Taira responded he proceeded to blow his nose a couple times into the tissues he'd taken through is magic mists. The sound was not unlike a trombone being played by an amateur in a highschool band. Once done he would toss the used paper into a nearby basket and take a deep breath of the familiar air of his family's dwelling. "Free visits to a spa... those do sound nice. Would that offer extend to just me or the rest of my family?" he asked as he worked to get a glass of water for himself, "Would be a nice treat for when I get enough bits together to visit Equestria."

The stallion pulled up a seat and relaxing, "As for my magic?" He coughed up a small puff of mountain mist, "Well for a lot in my family our magic seems to come naturally so mind did too! I can also use it to form shapes... I can walk on it and use it as transport. Can also use it for illusions and the like!" 

Archived