Oh Kitty, what a pity, you don't understand... (Canterlot, OPEN)

Blueblood

uLtPV0U.png

Anu's story was interesting... Hogo-sha, despite having his regular disguise be that of a diamond dog: Wasn't familiar with the various ways their packs organized themselves. Back on the mountain, packs were more simple from what his father told him. Okami would go out, start families with a mother and father as the alphas and when the mother or father passed on territories were freed for the pups to split if they so desired when they had families of their own if they chose. ... or perhaps that was just how his father's pack used to do it. 

The way Anu's pack operated sounded much more... turbulent, but if this dog was owed his leadership in the clan, Hogo-sha wasn't about the pass up a needy prince! "Well, Mr Anu. I'm happy to assist in any way I'm able. I have few resources, but I can offer what strength and skill I do have! I only ask you lead your pack to prosperity upon your return once your betrayers make amends with you."

Hogo-sha took a moment to hold his kerchief to his nose again. After nilaavin had gotten up the wind had shifted to send any loose fur from the feline his way again. The dog tried to think of something to distract his mind with, but soon Blueblood gave him just the thing: Food! The idea of fish in particular.  "No need to apologih.. Apologize for that! I'm sure most of this company would love such a trip!" Omnivores will be omnivores after all, "Could you lead the way, Your Highness?"

• Like 2

“They did not help because they could not. They were not exactly lush with strong fighters, but they were better at gathering resources. They hosted me for a time, after the incident, but I couldn’t stay there long without risking my former clan’s ire coming down on them.” Anu explained simply, nodding a bit as Blueblood requested they move to the fish market instead. 

“Very well, lets go.” He said as he got up to follow them to the market. “Thank you, Hogo-sha, your offer of assistance is appreciated.” The dog added, giving a small bow to the other dog as they walked. 

• Like 1

Niilavin holds a paw up, leaning away from blue fainting a look of shock. “[I was not hunting him master, I was just bored and wished to play! If he lost its just a matter of game rules if his fate is to be eaten.]” He says puting his paw down to look up at the pegasus that was much more far away after hearing what blue shouted. Niilavin gumbled in disappointment but walked back to his master. 

“[fish market? In this city? You have no close rivers. I’m shocked there’d be demanded to keep a stock of fish in a pony city.]” He says looking sound at the white city. Maybe there will be more fun surprises for him here after all. It was a strange city in a strange land and time. There was much to learn and see.

• Like 1

Blueblood clambered back up to ride on Niilavin again, the Prince not inclined to walk all the way there if he could absolutely help it.  Not just from laziness, though; seeing the sphinx being ridden would reassure the public that he was under control.  And the public, it would seem, was very much in need of reassuring.  "[Nonetheless, consider yourself forbidden from engaging in any games that will result in the death of my subjects.  I may in the future permit you to frighten them, if I find it useful or amusing, however.]"  There were quite a few stuffed shirts that Blueblood wouldn't mind getting an up close and personal look at Niil's jaws, just to put them back on the straight and narrow.  Or at least liven up an interminable soiree.

As the quad made their way to the fish markets, the Prince kept in political conversation, somewhat, with Anu.  "I still think it fairly naive of you, not to seek out fighting friends if you anticipated conflict over your rule.  And if you didn't see it coming... well, that doesn't speak well to your perceptions.  Knowledge for next time, I suppose."  Honestly, if Hogo-sha hadn't already pledged support, Blueblood might not have been willing to give any more than a good-luck wish and some mercenary contact information.  It was a sad story, but was it really worth spending blood and treasure to resolve a tribal dispute?

The Fish Market of Canterlot was a testimony to what enough gold given to the right ponies could accomplish.  It sat equidistant from the train station and the airship port, where icebox cars and rush airfreight deposited fresh fish for the perusal of the Canterlotian public.  Blueblood suspected the whole venture had been made economically possible by crazy cat ladies who wanted to spoil their menagerie, but the establishment was kept up by the griffon minority, as well as the embassies from more obviously omnivorous populations.  Not that the Prince didnt' mind a good tilapia now and then, and recent travels had given him a taste for sushi, as well.

"They'll give me a tab, Niil.  Just point out what you want and I'll sign for it."

• Like 2

ul9Hkp9.png

Spoiler

What are you talking about? This has always been his Avatar.

"You're very welcome, Anu-san." Said the dog as he bowed his head back, "I do hope you've looked into any nonviolent solutions though. To know when to and not to use the power one has acquired is one the most important traits of a good ruler, is it not?" 

Hogo-sha listened carefully to the Prince's assessment. While he tried to carry himself like nobility, he wasn't in any sense that ponies might be impressed by.  Hearing what the actual upper crust of equine society (and now canine society) would hopefully prove to be an educating experience. Still, he hoped that things could remain cordial for the time being. Stories he'd read as a pup often made out royalty to be the tiniest bit... touchy.

Soon though, the dog's attention was snatched up by the tantalizing scent of fish. That was his absolute favorite dish, he hoped they had salmon. Oh wait, there was definitely some salmon here.  "Excuse me a moment, friends." The nimble dog made his way towards the source of that delectable scent. It seemed to be coming from one of the stalls at the far end of the market. 

"Your Highness, If your feline friend hasn't tried Salmon... perhaps I could make a reccomendation?"

Edited by Pretzelparty

Anu fell silent for a time, mulling over the words of Blueblood and deciding how to respond to them. In the meantime, he nodded to Hogo-sha's words about non-violent solutions as they walked to the fish market. This was turning into a somewhat aggravating conversation, with Blueblood trying to point out every flaw he saw in Anu's past self. He was well aware that he had made mistakes back then, pointing them out was counter-productive. Nothing to do for it now though, the only way now was forwards.

"All in all, I feel like it was more overconfidence than anything, but perhaps you're right. Still, people can change, and I've definitely changed since then." He hummed slightly as they arrived, watching as Hogo-sha wandered off while suggesting salmon. Not a bad choice, all in all. "Salmon does sound good, perhaps I shall get some myself."

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Niilavin’s ears go down as his master made the games forbidden! How can a pony do such a thing! But he can’t do a thing about it… So he just took some joy in master taking him out to get fish. That’s not to bad.  [“At least you know to feed me…”] He grumbles, still upset about not getting to play his games…

But by the time they got to the Fish Market Niilavin was much more happy kitty as he sniffed the air, his size parting the shopping masses like snowplow as moved stand to stand to sniff and eye up the fish. But he really lit up when Blue told him to do as he wished. Darting from one stand to another he followed his nose. They needed nothing to hold the fish as Niilavin just leans down and opens his maw, ponting at some fish than at his open jaws. Well the fish merchants sacred at first the gang soon had a full flock of fish merchants following them, shouting and waving fish at Niilavin in a desperate bid to entice the sphinx to buy their fish over others. 

For all the madness this caused two good things were coming out of it. Niilavin was a very happy cat as fish merchants just gave out free fish to take pictures of the sphinx eating them for advertisement. And there were plenty of happy fish merchants watching Blueblood slapping his name on tabs to for the sphinx. Even now they can be heard chattering about how big the sphinx may get and how much fish they will need to import for such a ‘guest’... and how rich he may make them. All well Niilavin pranced about like a king in a sea of beggars trying to gain a coin.

• Like 1

There was something inherently heartwarming about a happy kitty, be he ever so large.  Of course, the revealed scope of the largess needed to maintain that warm and fuzzy feeling soon chilled Blueblood's blood like the ice these salmon rested upon.  Of course it would be salmon; that was actually reasonably priced, now that fish trade with Whitescar clans opened the arctic waters' bounty to general consumption, and at a decent price... per pound.  The numbers looked rather different when calculated per ton.

*And there'll be no getting him back to dry food after this.*  He reflected ruefully, as the happy merchants basked in their good fortune at his expense.  *No wonder his previous masters indulged his... riddle games.*  The Prince was half-tempted to rescind his order right then and there, but his conscience restrained him.  Not enough to still that quiet, little voice, though... *I only forbade him from eating my subjects.  I never said anything about foreigners.*

Not that he would ever dream of endangering his two canine companions, of course.  Not that Niil would have deigned to tolerate their taste anyway, he suspected.  "Oh, I'll cover your lunches too."  He said to Anu and Hogo-sha.  After all, in for pounds, in for a few more pennies.  Or something like that.

Once the excessive display of consumerist consumption was complete, leaving them merely with the heap of fish paid for, Blueblood leaned back to watch the other three go to work.  He wasn't averse to a bite of seafood himself, from time to time.  It was just that the thought of future expenses had rather robbed him of his appetite.  "I'm going to have to arrange some kind of volume discount if we're going to do this in the future, though..."

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

zfpfL1l.png

Hogo-sha smiled at Anu, "I'll be happy to share, friend. It's been too long since I've had someone to share fish with!" Back home Hogo-sha would often share the fist caught with his siblings. While he was glad to be able to go out on his own and make his own legend, there were times he missed his home back on the mountains with his family... even if he still had issues talking to his father.

A momentary glance in Nilaavin's direction managed to get a small smile from the dog. Allergic as he was , This 'dog' couldn't deny a big cat living out their fantasies in a fish market was a curiously endearing sight. He couldn't help but notice how deep in thought Blueblood seemed to be, but soon he spoke up with a most generous offer! "You're too kind, my prince." Said the canine as he dipped his head to the stallion, "I will be sure to make the most of it within reason."

Ah, sharing fish... Anu wasn’t too sure about that one, they had barely met after all. Perhaps it was for the best however, as a fish could be more food than one could handle alone. Thankfully, Blueblood offered to pay for Their meal, so they wouldn’t have to figure out which one of them would buy this fish. He nodded his thanks to Blueblood before heading off with Hogo-sha to locate their fish. 

“So, you smell like a dog, and yet unlike one as well. Something marks you as similar to my kind, yet clearly different, and yet visually one would never know. Care to clear that up for me?” He asked quietly as the two walked, glancing over at Hogo-sha. 

• Like 1

Niilavin was pleasantly full with fish and his hunger beaten as he took to grooming his self and watching his master buy food for the mutts. He was not a fan of all this niceness to them. But that was not going to change it seems, so at least he can rest on the fact he got far more food than they did. A small victory over dogs. But why was kmaster talking so much with them? All he can do is understand one side of the story. Whatever his master was saying. The rest spoke meaningless words and that was getting problematic. [“Master, I can’t help but feel out of touch. Well, it was fun for time not understanding the worthless workers underneath us I’m growing… Aware of how useless this makes me. How can I defend you when I can not speak or understand them? Maybe there is one that can teach me there lesser speech?”] he asked looking about at the masses out shopping or just cat watching. [“It can make me far more useful in my duty.”]

Though some of the circumstances around the lunch were admittedly stressful, Blueblood found his mood fortified through the consumption of protein.  Vague memories of fish being "brain food" also percolated through his mind, reassuring him that whatever was thrown at him next, he would soon find himself with the capabilities to handle it.  Most of all, however, was simply the pleasant post-meal lassitude that followed a heavy lunch, which combined with all that had been done on the way in, led him to relax on Niil's back, almost nestling into the fur.

["It would be good of you to know the language..."]  Blueblood mused, lying back to rest the back of his neck on the back of the Spinx's.  ["I wonder if it wouldn't be a better idea to just extend the magical translation spell you and I have.  It would be quicker.  On the other hand... well, magic of that power can have unintended consequences.  Why else do you think I am sometimes a mare?"]  He observed the pair of dogs while talking with his giant servant, content to eavesdrop without interjecting.