The Ice Breaker (Closed: tacobob, PretzelParty, szalhi)

GoldenDaze

EJhBYU5.png?1

"I said...er...", the griffon gasped, "We're all cabin and no engine." They were in the last cabin and apparently the Crystal Empire train did not have a caboose. They were going backwards and soon would hit one of those bad tracks. Without an powerful engine to pull it straight, they would probably tip over. Could they simply fly away? Not likely as the wind was really powerful. It almost reminded her of the cliffs near Griffonstone.

"Ah crap.", she had her small travel bag with her art stuff, and an carry-on that contained most of her other stuff. She also had an larger bag that contained a few special outfits for certain occasions, but that bag was with the rest of the train and was still heading off to the Crystal Empire.

They were going to need to jump. This she could see herself doing, along with the fit Pegasus mares, but the sight impaired little pony? Loose Cannon! She would require assistance! But the black bird would also need her bags. While her supplies were not intended to help her survive in the middle off the frozen wilderness, it would still be of use. A few bottled waters. Some salmon jerky.

Once Golden Daze found her way out of the train, the griffon grabbed her one bag, "Bag overboard!", she called out. Or was it over-train? She wanted to make sure the ejected mare knew what would soon be coming her way.

"Er, Miss Cannon? I don't have a lot of time to explain, but I'm going to help you get off this train..", Zelda made her way near the mare, "Get your bag if you have one, and I'll get you out of here nice and safe." After she gave the pony a moment to collect her things, the large bird quickly lifted up the mare and went towards the exit, "Just try to curl into a little ball...These clothes I'm wearing are thick enough to protect us both...."

Once she found the right timing, Zelda leaped off of the train with her 'passenger'....Into the cold, white, fluffy stuff....
  • Like 3

All cabin and no engine... who would have thought that choosing the last one would probably be a bad thing? Was this train cursed? It would seem awfully weird and strange for the train to just split like that and have no one notice. Supposedly. Maybe someone from the other side noticed? Sooner they noticed sooner they could come back for them? Although as far as she was aware the train wasn't designed to stay in this environment for longer than it needed to. It was probably safer for the train to continue and than send back help. From a selfless standpoint, she would go with that. From a 'she didn't want to die in this extreme moment' standpoint she hoped not.

"Alright, yes jump. Yeah totally." She wasn't particularly sure if she leaving was any better than staying here. Sure there was turbulence and that, but she stood her ground, right? It seemed with no time to think, the group already made up their mind. "Make sure to roll when you land." She said out loud to no one in particular. It just went through her mind at that moment, probably wouldn't matter anyway because it's just snow. Unless it's ice. She hoped not. She would need to grab her stuff first. She didn't bring much with her, just one set of bags. She was not intending on spending a lot of time at her destination anyway. It was a good thing she didn't have to carry much through here.

"Er, thanks I appreciate the concern, but, I'm sure I can take care of myself," She replied to the griffon while she was retrieving her bag. The Griffon probably didn't listen to her anyway. It took her a bit longer than she wanted to grab her stuff because it was a bit mixed up in the rummage and she couldn't really tell the difference. "Alright got it- hey!" she was yanked off the ground by the griffon who carried her towards the exit. She wanted to complain but in this situation any interruptions were ill-advised. Yeah, the train was totally cursed. 

The air outside was cold, she could feel it from the parts of her that weren't pressed up against the Gryphon. For a moment she thought it wasn't going to happen but it did and they landed on the ground a moment later. "Hey, uh Zelda... You can stop holding on to me now." Who would have thought she would be the one getting "rescued?"

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

rL75Dpx.jpg

Fiver was the last off the train, at first trying to figure out the why. Did someone on this train not want any of them to get to the empire? Was someone here more important than they were letting on? Noone in their cabin seemed to be hiding anything while they were getting to know each other. She looked closely at the damaged coupling closer, trying to memorize how it looked before she grabbed her luggage and jumped out into the frigid winds. 

Having her suitcase in hoof made her stumble in the air, her balance offsuit by the heavy case. She tossed it to the side of the tracks as the car sped backwards down the tracks. It landed beside Zelda's in a snowbank that was only growing with the increasing amount of snow coming down. Fiver rushed over to the rest of the group as the winds continued to howl. While they were loud, at least they weren't so booming as to prevent anyone from talking. 

One didn't get into the Wonderbolt academy by panicking, Fiver certainly didn't. In times of emergency like this she needed to keep a cool head as best as she could. IN this frigid wind, no problem at all... hopefully. She could already feel her teeth started to chatter. "I-is everyone okay? Nopony-- or griffin- injured?"

• Like 2

32f92g.gif

Daze poked her head out of the freezing snow, sneezing out the last of the iced over chunks on her face. Her snout was wet, and frozen, and she hated the feeling. Her mane was now damp on the tips, and her fluffy shoes were damp as well. That was an amazing feeling. She wasn't cold at all. Nope. "It's hotter than a summer afternoon," she muttered to herself sarcastically, annoyed from the horrible weather and sudden action to jump off the train. 

Oh yeah, her companions and herself jumped off their cabin. 

Oh Celestia. 

The Pegasus twisted herself around, gliding her golden eyes around the white blanket of snow to find some sort of color. Once she spotted some movement, she yelled, "Everyone okay?!" Hopefully no one was hurt, because how could they get back to the train? Or the empire? Thinking about this, Daze was really going into freak out mode. What if they couldn't find a way out of this freezing mess? "Stay calm, Daze. Stay calm." She poked her head out of the snow even more, trying to see the others. She then heard Fiver's voice, calming her down. "I'm over here, Fiv- I'm okay." 

Daze needed to get out of the snow and head over to the other Pegasus, but how could she? She'd have to either crawl out or fly out. The wind was incredibly strong, but she was a strong flier. She could do it... maybe. So, Daze crawled out of the ice hole and opened her wings to fly, then lifting herself off the ground. She was airborne for a few seconds, until the wind pulled her out of control and flung her over to Fiver. "That worked better than I thought. I don't recommend flying, though. The wind it stronger than I thought, ha-" she said to Fiver, giving her a weak smile and a nervous look. "Have you seen the others?" The clothed Pegasus looked around again, seeing Zelda and Loose near them. "Hey! You gu-ys okay?"

• Like 2

EJhBYU5.png?1

Nice, heavy snow. Normally she would hate to see it in her yard. But this time it kept the blacksmith and her ‘passenger’ free from harm. And even nasty scraps and bruises.

“Oh....Right.” under her lawyer of clothing, feathers and fur was a blushing little griffon girl. She almost did not want to let the poor mare go as ponies were so dang hug-able. After what seemed like forever, Zelda released the poor mare from her grip.

“Not terribly keen about our current predicament.”, the black bird grumbled as she retrieved her bag, “But I feel fine. I would rather be in our little cabin, but oh....”, she gasped as their former little home kept rolling down the track. It seemed to go faster the longer it went on.

“We probably should start moving. Even with all this clothing, we could still freeze to death out here...” and there was always a chance of FROSTBITE. She didn’t want to end up like Ol’ Steelbeak.

• Like 2

She had to admit, part of her wanted the griffon to remain held to herself. It was definitely warmer. But lying in the snow together wouldn't get much work done and so she was glad when she was released. The snow, the thing that softened and prevented their harm, would now be the one to probably cause that harm. It was cold, wet and quite loud. She could hear the others, but the wind was really distracting. Hopefully, that wouldn't impede her, she had much bigger problems than being any more blind than she was. Flashbacks to over a decade ago, when she wasn't quite as adept as she was now. A lot changed over those years, for the better. 

At her current capabilities, she couldn't perceive the cabin anymore. Yeah. It was gone. And obviously they had to go the other way. "Well, the cabin would be warmer, until it's not. Than we'll probably have to walk anyway, with less resources than before. There was a situation named after such dilemma wasn't there?" She commented to the griffon. "So yeah, we're basically okay. The snow saved us, and now... it will probably kill us. But not yet." She pulled herself off the ground and made sure her stuff was okay. Yeah it was. Enough of it was okay. Not like it was much survival gear anyway. 

"So, uh. How long has it been since we left? Because that will sort of tell us how far we have left to go. With adjustments, for a lot of stuff." This was going to suck. A lot. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

rL75Dpx.jpg

At first Fiver only heard Daze's voice as no louder than a whisper when contrasted with the roaring winds around the group. She tried to look around but those same winds stung her eyes when she turned into them, making the mare wince and turn away from the sound of Daze's voice. Fiver was about to try and take flight herself to get closer to the athlete, but Daze's quick flight then rough landing brought out a sigh of relief.

Fiver offered her hoof to help her fellow former passenger back on her hooves, "Glad to see you're okay, Daze."

Hearing Zelda and Loose Cannon voice their thoughts on the situation, Fiver was left in thought. She turned towards the direction that their car had just sped down, "There could be a cave or something at the base of the mountain. If the train car is in good enough shape at the bottom... we might be able to find some signal flares in it for emergencies. " She looked back to the group, "We still have our luggage right? Did anyone bring any emergency supplies? There could also be some shelter in towards the mountains... and the first rule of waiting to be rescued is to stay where you are... or at least close to it."

• Like 2

34nv4s.gif

The wind was strong. Really, really strong. The poor Pegasus couldn't fly, or hear really anything because the wind seemed to be literally screaming in her ears. Why couldn't she get a hat that covered her ears? When she was done here, she'd walk out with icicles hanging from them. And her nose.. and probably her feathers. And Daze was stuck there thinking, what if she could never fly again from the frostbite her feathers could get? She was even more scared now. But, she had to be tough in front of her friends. 

Would it be worth it though?

After crashing, she felt herself being lift up from Fiver, which made Daze sigh in a huge relief. At least she had one pony with her. "Thanks, dude," she said smoothy, giving a toothy and goofy grin to the other Pegasus. Soon, she found herself walking, or trying to, towards the other two. 

The cold was starting to make Daze's nose burn, and in no time it would feel numb. "Looking for a cave would be smart- Just to find some shelter and stuff." She looked at the train car that crashed, making her head tilt. "Yeah, I don't know if the train car made it, Fiv. We should all just start walking. We could follow the tracks. I feel like that would be smart, so we don't get lost in this behemoth of a storm." The mare hooked her bags to her back, securing them so she didn't have to hold them. "I don't have any emergency equipment, but I have some snacks and extra clothes if anyone needs something."

The mare looked around, only seeing snow covering the tracks quickly. "We should get going, I'm sure the ponies running the train knows one of it's carts came off the back. I bet we could meet them halfway up the mountain. Standing here is a faster way to get killed, I'm sure." The mare started walking slowly, trying to stay calm in this situation, but the howling of the wind and the nipping cold of the snow didn't help this sticky situation. 

• Like 1

EJhBYU5.png?1

Oh, how Zelda wished she was part snow leopard....And not black panther....She was a creature who lived for the heat. Her toasty homeland of Rockwington....Her smithy....All nice and hot. But here she was in the freezing cold. Fire Walker was right. She should have traveled south to the Gallopocus Islands. Maybe even dragged the rest of her friends with her. Allow her red mare friend to enjoy the last few days of her freedom before marriage. Take poor Docket away from her stressful job. And even help inspire Miss Presteza with her art. But nope. She was here with strangers in the middle of the freezing north. And she really had to pee. Why did she drink all those Sunrise Sarsaparillas! Why? Because they were free, and she had her own private washroom. That was until the others showed up and the dang cabin became unhinged.

"I have a few things in my pockets here.....Keys......change....Another can of Sunrise Sarsaparilla....", she muttered as she trudged along with the others, "Torn train ticket....Fidget spinner....Wow, it's been awhile since I've worn this....I do have my carry on, but most of my useful stuff is probably a little closer to the Crystal Empire by now..."

What did that little dingus of a pony say? Little Wind Walker's friend....What was his name? Fast Pass? Breakfast? Fast Past! Colt loved trains and would ramble on about them..."I heard when they build tracks like these...Outside of civilization...Sometimes they dig enough ground to make an hoof-made cave...Usually use it to store supplies...We might find one of these along the track...Along with an emergency station....Although I'd probably not want to hang out exposed for too long..."

Daze was the one with the best idea....."Guess we can head up the mountain then....", she groaned. Maybe she should have stayed home.
  • Like 2

• 11 months later...

rL75Dpx.jpg

A quick look at both Daze and Zelda made it clear that seeking shelter was the better option. Neither of them  looked up to trying to look at the wreckage any further. The trio had their luggage, hopefully they all had something to help keep them all warm once they found something to shield them from biting winds. 

Truth be told, Fiver wasn't dealing terribly well with the cold either. It was times like this she regretted her larger frame and leaner muscle, warmth was going to be harder to hold on to the further this went. At least Golden Daze wore some things better suited to the weather, Fiver only had a coat. Already, she could feel the warmth slowly draining out of her as she trudged along through the snow with her two new friends.  A particularly potent shiver broke fiver's proud and lead her to speak up to golden as they walked, "You said you had some extra clothes? D-do you have a scarf or anything?" 

Making further up the trail along the slowly dissappearing tracks, Fiver had an idea. She stepped over to a bit of dark grey steel poking up from the rising white snow. She carefully bumped her hoof to the side of it, noting the clang that traveled up her foreleg. "If  we keep out hooves close to the tracks we should be able to stay on the trail of them for a while... at least until the snow gets too deep."

(Sorry this took a while, please tell me if I missed/forgot anything.)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

iZlQtjY.png?1

The trio began to walk in the never ending cold, which was unbelievably tiring. The wind was so strong, Daze couldn't control where her legs were stepping. Too left, too right, crisscross... applesauce. She found herself on the snow's ground with a huff. She stood up slowly trying not to lose her balance.. or lack there of. She opened her wings a little to gain some sort of support from walking in this windy, snowy terrain. She was struggling big time. They had to climb up this mountain, that she swore looked taller the more she looked at it. She just wished she could fly.. all of them. They all had wings, this adventure would be over in an instant. 

But that wasn't the case. 

When they got closer to the mountain, she felt another pony inch closer to her. The little to no warmth made her actually feel something, it was so cold any sense of heat she could feel. She glanced over with her golden eyes, looking right at Fiver. "Huh? Oh yeah, I got some extra scarves and some booties, I think I got a couple hats in there too." She stopped walking and opened her bag with her frozen wing. "Just grab whatever you need, kay?" She looked at Zelda now. "You need something too? I got scarves and hats."

After, they group continued to walk, the trail slowly beginning to disappear. With a huff, Daze stared at the ground, spacing off. She was thinking about a lot of thing. Overthinking, more like. She just wanted to be somewhere warm and cozy, with hot cocoa and a fireplace. Maybe cuddled up with somepony she missed a lot.. a little farm pony with a spicy personality. Her personality alone would make her hot. 

She snapped out of her thoughts as Fiver had an idea. "Geez, Fiv. That's wicked smart!" She started following behind Fiv by the railroad tracks, eventually leading to the large mountain. Hopefully this 'adventure' wouldn't get any worse.. or colder.

• Like 1

EJhBYU5.png?1

The black bird grimaced. They had just left the train, but it already felt like a whole year had gone by!

"Oh yeah, whatever we do, we need to stay near the tracks. Not only would we be able to not to get lost, if the railroad sends a cart for us, they'll find us a lot quicker than if we wander away. Which would be bad", she groaned. She was not ready to do all this talking! She had a nap that had been coming up, but now she was out and about and it was obvious she was now a full time shlimazel, a gal with no luck. No luck in love and no luck in life.

"Thanks, but I'll be fine for the moment.", Zelda responded to the green maned mare, "I have a pretty thick coat of fur and feathers, and this actual coat. But if it keeps getting colder, I might need something later on.", she started to push herself as the track started to move upwards. Thick coat. Thick feathers, and she had gained a few pounds during her exile. If worse comes to worse, the two ponies could always eat her.

She kept an eye on the track and another for any sort of area they could rest in. A cave. Maybe even an abandoned house. She had heard there was an old village not that far from here that had long been deserted. Most say it was that once the railroad had been finished, the opportunities had dried up and everypony moved on. But there was also another story. One of curses and horror!
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

rL75Dpx.jpg

The walk along the rails was rough. Between biting cold and tired eyes, Fiver was already feeling winded. Thankfully Daze was willing to spare a scarf and hat so she wouldn't freeze. The pegasus took the hat and secured it on her head as best she could, same with the scarf. That scarf was a bit harder to get on. That wind was threatening to rip if from her neck and leave it fluttering in the whiteout beyond the party. 

As the shadow of the mountain hung over them, a deeper shadow was somewhere a head. It seemed as that the tracks lead to a tunnel. The opening of which was right ahead if they kept on trudging through the snow. "I see a tunnel up ahead. Looks like it goes on quite a ways. We could get some shelter from the wind and cold in there I think!"

• Like 2

iZlQtjY.png?1

"Yeah, I one hundred percent agree with you," she shouted at the griffon. Her voice was barely heard from the intense wind that blew in all their faces. Golden honestly thought her bones were going to shatter from how frozen she felt. Even with all the clothes, she couldn't feel 90% of her body. Even the inside of her mouth was frozen. She just needed to stop talking. 

But, the pegasus was quite the yapper, especially in circumstances like this where she needed to keep talking to fill up the void between the ponies. The atmosphere just seemed so cold. "If you say so, birdy." The tan mare slowly shrugged as she drug her hooves against the frozen wasteland. "Just lemme know when you need something. As long as my arms don't fall off, I can help whoever." 

Finally, Daze started to spot a large shadow only a little ways away. Fiver seemed to spot it before she did, as she said something first about it. "Oh, Celestia, finally some good news." As they made their way to the cave, Daze couldn't help but try and sprint over to the cover. The mare reached their destination in less than a minute, hiding herself from the bitter wind and snow. She turned, waiting for the others to join her. The cave was way warmer than the outside, probably because the cave was in the opposite direction at the wind.

"C'mon guys! We don't have a lot of light to waste!" Daze cleared her throat, thinking for a second. She realized the cave was deep, and very, very, dark. She knew she didn't have a light on her, and she also had no idea who or what was in the cave. The mare began to overthink. Hopefully her new friends had some sort of light..

• Like 2

EJhBYU5.png?1

“Oh, there we go. A nice cave.” Maybe if they were lucky, this cave belonged to a friendly and very fuzzy bear who wouldn’t mind a little friendly snuggle, which would keep them all warm till the next day. Or maybe this was a cave that had been explored before, and maybe there were leftover supplies they could use. Or this cave had one of those lakes inside filled with fish! Yum! Of course her new little pony pals didn’t eat such a thing and claw-made sushi probably would mess their stomachs up! As they made their way to the soon to be shelter, the griffon stumbled a bit. “The heck?” She glanced down at the ground and noticed the skull of her ‘friendly bear’ looking up at her with a permanent frown on its boney face. This was not a good sign. She turned to the others with a look of utter horror before she continued on.

T9A2mW0.png?1

They were now in the cave. While it was still cold, it was far more bearable than outside due to the lack of wind. And did she have a light? The blackbird ran a claw into her pockets. She still had a full bottle of root beer, which contained all the necessary ‘sass’ one would need. Used ticket  was still there. Perfect for the scrapbook! She noticed her key-chain was a plastic disc with the words ‘I Got Knocked Up At Fart-Knockers!’ Along with the logo, there were two ponies with big grins on their faces who were dancing together. Little stink lines were coming from their backsides. This was a terrible single’s bar she visited recently. And no, she did not get ‘knocked up’. She choked on some really bad and skunky beer and nearly broke a tooth on some stale pretzels. And she also decked a guy when his hoof got a little too close to an area unwelcome hooves were not allowed. Along with the terrible memories with the key-chain, it also had a very tiny light, which she turned on. It was very tiny. Was it made for mice?

Defeated, she pushed the key-chain back into her pocket. Hey! There was something of interest!

“Looks like someone was actually hear before.”, not that far from where they stood was a campfire and up above there was a large hole in the ceiling of the cave that served as ventilation. Someone built it right under the hole so the smoke would exit the cave and not inside the cave. Good News at last.

“Were any of you ponies ever Filly Scouts?”,she asked.
  • Like 2