A walk through the forest [Closed] SirAizen

DreamWanderer

(Continuation from "A night out")  

After casting her relaxation spell on Cain again, Night Breeze smiled softly as he seemed to be asleep. Folding her hooves close to her she sat there staring up at the stars for awhile taking in the natural beauty. After some time she began to drift off herself. Night Breeze had hope that she would be able to go back to her home to rest in her own bed, But she didn't just want to leave Cain out here all by himself asleep. With a yawn she lowed her head as closed her eyes, quickly drifting off to sleep. The night had passed like the cool breeze which swept through the trees every now an then. Stirring in her spot Night Breeze felt the warmth of the sun and the sounds of the birds once again. Opening her eyes again she sat up stretching herself. Looking off in the distance at Canterlot Night Breeze had to squint slightly to bring her eyes into focus after awaking. She noticed that the city had been teaming with life once more. It had seemed they where still where the two fell asleep at just near a single tree perched on a hill overlooking Canterlot. Standing up she yawned stretching herself once more as she wandered the hill a little bit looking around trying to loosen up her muscles. Wandering what she was going to do for the day she stared off in the distance. The sound of wildlife could be heard everywhere. Birds flew from tree to tree, chipmunks and squirrel scurried along looking for food as sounds of life filled the air again.

• 2 weeks later...

Man. . . who knew dreams could be so. . . lifelike sometimes? Whatever Night Breeze had cast on him that night, Candy Cain had slept soundly for once. He hadn't felt the urge to get up and make something. He hadn't felt like he needed to go be productive, or give some random pony a wrapped candy-gift at their doorstep. (Don't judge. Cain liked to keep busy, and friendly.)He just. . . . slept. For hours on end. It felt so good. . . he wished that it would last forever. Alas, it was not to be. The light of day would not diminish for one tired soul. Cain winced as he finally came to, the early sun's rays shining on his eyelids. He groaned slightly, sitting up a bit. The first thing he noticed was that Night Breeze wasn't there. He momentarily panicked, remembering his thoughts from the previous night. Is this. . . real? He was worried that it had just been another trick of the mind. . . that was upsetting. . . well. . . glancing around, Cain noticed a discrepancy. There were dips in the grass where someone had been walking around the hill, and they hadn't gone off into the distance. Candy Cain stood up, and began pacing around the small hill after Night. After a moment, he met her halfway. The stallion gave a barely concealed sigh of relief.

"Oh, you're. . . I though you weren't. . ." He paused, then waved away the thoughts. They didn't matter; Night Breeze was here, and real. He smiled to himself. Still, that didn't stop him from pulling out a small lollipop and popping it into his mouth. It helped to have something to chew on when Cain was feeling unsettled. He was just calming himself down now. His smiled turned into a full grin. "Mornin' Ms. Breeze. . ." He trotted over, cocking his head to one side. "Wasn't sure if you were still with us here in Canterlot. My bad, I just got spooked for a sec." Cain turned and stared out at the sunrise, watching that and the now-busy Canterlot below. This was nice.. .  but he couldn't wait to get underway with the day's events. "Guess today we can do that walk, eh?" He paused. "Though, what kinda pony am I for not providing a mare with breakfast? I know how to do more than just candy," Cain began to make his way back to his cart. He glanced back, eyebrow raised. "Fancy pancakes and strawberries, ma'am?"

Night Breeze had sat looking at the sunrise for some time when Cain finally awoke. Staring at life below, she reflected on the previous evening. To be honest with herself she very much liked having somepony to spend time with, and share all her memories with. A soft smile rose on her lips as she thought about it all. Pondering what today's events might bring. taking a moment to take in the morning light she noticed Cain trot over to her. Sitting sideways to him Night Breeze turned her head to great him. "Good morning sunshine." She said with a cheerful attitude, A soft smile on her face, glancing somewhat curiously  at him as he seemed to be confused for a second. "Did you sleep well last night?" She inquired curiously. "I'm here as long as you want me to be, Dear." Night Breeze said getting up now. "To be honest, I just, I didn't want to leave you up here all night with all by your lonesome." She smiled as she thought about her words. Why was she being so different about this? Sure her job was to be kind and caring to other ponies, but why did it seem she was much more interested in helping and caring for him than any other pony? "I'm ready when ever you are." She smiled with a wink "Oh um, You don't have to." Night Breeze said with a bit of a blush. She was always shy about taking things from others, but her grumbling belly said otherwise. All tho she was a little interested when he mentioned that he did more than just candy. "Oh, of course. That sounds delicious!" The grey unicorn said now with a bit of enthusiasm. "So, what all do you know how to make?" She asked curiously as she waited. He was just getting better by the minute. Not only did he make candy, but knew how to cook as well. "Would you like any help?" Night asked after a moment, hating to make him do this for her without doing anything in return herself.

• 2 weeks later...

"Naw, I don't need any help, ma'am," Cain chirped. He was just glad to be doing something, anything, for her. Still, it was up to Miss Breeze if she truly wanted to help, purely out of enjoying cooking. He didn't want to cause her any trouble for no reason. So, he added, "I mean, if cooking is a hobby of yours, I don't mind ya helpin'. . . but if not, please, I insist. Let me do it." Cain paused for a bit, thinking about all the dishes he'd prepared in the past. It was a fairly long list, actually. Sure, Cain had gone over to candy, as he had more to work with there, but that didn't mean he didn't like cooking other things. He still preferred sweets over meals. So baked items were usually his go-to. That meant breakfast, and pastries. "Ah, I've done lots, ma'am. I prefer cooking breakfast, though. My diet consists of a good breakfast, sandwiches and greens. those are pretty easy to cook, heh. I'm not that skilled in regards to anything besides breakfast and dessert."

Cain dug around in his cart for a particular mix he'd been saving for breakfast another time, but today was a good occasion for it as well. A mare is here, his mother would have told him. Always treat a mare to your best. Cain continued whistling to himself as he took out the ingredients and appliances he'd need to make the batter. "I have to teach myself to make more in the future. . . it's pretty boring, once the reality sets in that you've been eatin' wheat for a good few weeks straight. Not fun."

"Oh, ok, But please let me know if you need anything." Night Breeze responded making sure he knew that she was willing to help in anyway she could. Thinking about what Cain said, She really wouldn't consider cooking as a hobby of hers, but she did do it mainly because she had to being the only one in the household and all. "Oh, i really wouldn't consider it a hobby of mine, I mean i wouldn't consider myself bad at it...I hope not ." She muttered. After all Night Breeze really didn't have anyone to critique her cooking besides herself. "But i really wouldn't say I am to great at either. Most of the time i make for myself, and its usually just something simple i whip up after work." She said with a little smile, seating herself nearby his cart just slightly out of sight as went to work. After all she didn't want to get in his way. 

"Perhaps maybe we could learn together sometime." She suggested as he said about having to teach himself some thing. "I'm sure You could probably show me a thing or two ." Night Breeze giggled. Her giggle trailed off into a sigh as she began to blush a little. If he could cook real well, she wouldn't mind having him around more often. 

• 2 weeks later...

“You got it, ma’am.” Candy Cain gave her a lopsided grin before returning to his work. He could get used to cooking breakfast for Night Breeze, at least. That was, if he stuck around, of course. He frowned slightly as he got a whiff of flour. Cain squeezed his eyes shut. He would not sneeze. He would not sneeze. After a moment or two, he opened one eye, sighing in relief, before returning to his batter. ‘Course, that wasn’t really something just friends did for each other, he didn’t think. . . he just didn’t want Night to get the wrong idea if he offered to cook her breakfast more often. On its own, it was nothing. Cain cracked eggs and began stirring them into the mixture with his magic.

But.

There was an implication there, one Cain wasn’t trying to suggest, but could be taken that way. . . Cain threw the thought away. He was being ridiculous. He could cook for Night if she was fine with it. Cooking for another didn’t mean anything whatsoever. It was just another gesture of friendship. Cain technically did it all the time, with his candy. This was no different. He leaned out from where he was cooking, nodding. “Eh, I could certainly try teaching ya. I can’t really say I’m a teacher, though. . . I’ll give it a shot. For you.” He added that last bit rather quickly, leaning back into the covered cart before his face could flush. “In return, I guess I could learn a bit about yer own magic, eh?”

Archived