Pretzelparty

Teacups to Tenochtitlan (ATTN: tacobob)

uLtPV0U.png

In the cozy little teahouse there was a diamond dog with a sword. The blade left leaning against the wall in its sheath while the owner calmly sipped some fragrant tea. It was nice to be able to find a place that brewed the tea close to the way it was back home on the mountain. The unusually classy canine sipping as he thumbed through a book. The Title was: “Lore of Equestria: Tenochtitlan Basin Volume 2”.

The book was full of various mythical accounts of sacred artifacts, ancient treasures, the various pony tribes there that protected the various ancient tombs. Seemed like most of them had apparently made appearances in those Daring Do books that were so popular around here. Finding just one that supposedly hadn’t been found, lost or returned to it’s pedestal by the heroine was strangely frustrating. Even if the events were fictional it would lessen the impact of this dog finding any to make use of himself if somepony popped up to say “Daring Do did it first.”

Hogo-sha let out a sigh through his nose and leaned back in his chair, “Isn’t there some sort of ancient artifact in the Basin somepony hasn’t retrieved yet?” He asked to noone in particular.

• Like 1

Sw0Fr5W.png

It had seemed like forever that Pocket Change had been on an adventure or at least away from his stuffy old office! He had been busy pulling double-duty both at a private Canterlot college as an professor's assistant along with his duties with the Spellbound Magic Guild. His job at the school was rather fun and kept him on his hooves. He would help his former teacher, now professor with all manner of duties, from grading papers to putting together materials needed for lectures.. Not to mention tutoring a few students when needed.

During his break, he had received a letter from an old friend that he was needed....By a Diamond Dog? Really? The unicorn knew about such creatures, and they usually fell rather short in the intelligence department. Some were downright cruel. However, he did think well of an friend of his sisters...An rather pretty little pup named Eutony. And while she was sweet and rather friendly, the poor girl was as thick as clotted cream, that had been left out by some clot, and now the clots were so clotted, so she couldn't unclot them with an magic de-clotter.

He would need to meet this dog at teahouse. Really? Such an odd place to meet such an odd creature. But Pocket was intrigued. Maybe he was the bodyguard of an rich heiress that needed him to find a valuable thingamabob that she would pay him a king's fortune? Guess there was only one way to find out.

The stallion slowly entered the small parlor. So far, there were mostly ponies...A rather sweet little white griffoness...And another pony. Was he late? Or too early? Pocket's ears quickly perked up as he heard a voice...And saw what he thought was a wolf? No, he was a Diamond Dog!

"Mister Hogo-Sha?", the polite pony nodded his head, "I'm Pocket Change from the University. I was told you sought out help..."
  • Like 1

uLtPV0U.png

The diamond dog's ears perked up at the sound of Pocket's voice. He looked surprised at first... the university certainly worked fast. He'd sent out that letter less than a week ago and already someone had responded to it. "Ah!" Hogo-sha stood up from his chair and gave a formal bow in greeting, "It is a pleasure, Mister Change. I'm glad to see that the university took an interest in my request for aide." He gestured to the chair opposite him with a smile, "Please, have a seat if you'd like!"

Once Pocket took his seat, Hogosha would slide the book his way. "To be blunt... I'm looking for an artifact in that book. Not one in particular... but one that hasn't been found yet. One that would bring quite a bit of prestige to both of our names if we can find it together."  Hogo-sha was trying to be honest but he had a habit of trying to cut to the point when it was necessary. Having that Daring Do book on the table as well may have added to a feeling of urgency. "I have a certain gift that helps me locate magical items easier than others... and I can protect you from just about any threat we come across."

• Like 1

Sw0Fr5W.png

This all made sense now. He was not a common Equestrian Diamond Dog. With the exception of poor Eutony, the upright standing dogs were better left at the kennel. He was an rather handsome fellow with well brushed fur and an stylish coat. Just hearing him speak, the pony knew this fellow was also well educated. "Yes, the university always takes its requests very seriously, and since school is currently out for the holidays, things have been rather slow.", he did not feel the need to mention that his mare-friend, Moony had also been out of town for TWO DREADFUL WEEKS. Equestria had also been going through the longest period of harmony in recent years. Creatures from all walks of life were now considered allies of his kind. It was now common to see griffons, dragons, yaks and other races in his beloved city. Attending the schools. drinking at the pubs and being good sports and all. With friends like these at your side, who in their right mind would even think about invading or even causing trouble in Equestria?

Hogo-Sha presented a book the unicorn was rather familiar with. An copy of an Lore of Equestria book. They made a zillion of these, from what laid below the sands of Las Pegasus to volumes on hidden lairs in Canterlot. "Of course, Everything from The Marentine Codex to the Ring of Destiny have been found...So if this isn't in the books, what do you seek?", his eyes quickly fell upon an menu. There was a really good selection of teas here. What should he get?

"I'm a skilled duelist and I have a roster of defensive, non-fatal spells at my disposal. So you won't need to worry about protecting me...Still as partners we will need to keep an eye on each other's backs."  While he doubted they would run into any walking mummies or Daring Do villains, there were always vultures to deal with. Folk that watched others work hard for their discoveries, only to swoop in and try to rob the archaeologists when finished with their work.  "I also have a good magical item detection spell, that I can adjust to fit the magical properties of what you're looking for, so we don't get alerted for common enchanted items." Pocket could only imagine what boring little whozits and whatzits that were enchanted by equally bored unicorn enchanters. Toothbrushes that glowed so its users could brush 'a' brush in the dark. Cloaks that played your very own 'theme song'. Still, the Diamond Dog had a magical talent? Was that even possible?

"Also, have you ordered yet?" Pocket was a recent convert to the wonders of Abyssinia tea. He would need to get a cup of Pur'erh. He heard it tasted like pure mana!
  • Like 1

uLtPV0U.png

"Well... I did hear some rumors about an mythical blade of somekind by some papers in one of the college's journal." He took a sip of his  of his tea, " I believe it was some blade called 'Chaac' Myth says ancient pegasus chieftains could use it to strike clouds and make rainstorms." Stories involving storms never failed to grab this dog's attention. Perhaps it was his affinity to them. Mom and dad always said he looked like a little thundercloud as a pup. If the rumors about this artifact were true he'd be especially curious if it was in any usable condition, sounds like a once in a lifetime chance to wield a weapon of legend!

... but parting with such a thing for the sake of the noble pursuits of archaeology was also good.

Hogo-sha smiled and held up his own cup, "I have actually. I'd been hoping to try Pur'erh for a while. I have some spare coin so I'd be happy to pay for your drink." He seemed to fluff up rather proudly at that. "If you've got a magic detection spell , it might be more effective than my temperamental method.... and if you've got some methods of defense then we can definitely watch each other's backs.

• Like 1

Sw0Fr5W.png

A weapon? The unicorn sighed. Nobody ever wants to look for art, or lost literature, or even one of a kind magical gems? It’s always axes or swords. Items that were better left in the past. As a society, they should have all moved past the need to hurt their neighbors. But this one at least had a non-lethal use. Generally when found, these weapons tended to be simply hung on the wall or deposited at a local history museum. They would gladly take the donation, but for the most part the ‘gift’ would be left in a crate in the museum’s basement.

“Reminds me of the Staff of Sacanas that idiot 'Storm King' used..", After he was defeated and shattered into a million pieces, the magical artifact disappeared, most likely into Canterlot Castle's vaults, or even returned to is original owner, if one still existed. "Just with less features.."

He paused to order an pot of Pur'erh. Just enough for the pony and dog to enjoy two cups a piece. Almost felt like the dog could read his mind. Or the small advert at the end of the table that SCREAMED 'Enjoy New Pur'Erh' Tea with a rather sassy looking cat shaking her tail.  "Thank you.."

"The problem with Pegasus artifacts that they're generally located in places only Pegasus ponies could get to....Crypts located in the very tops of climbable mountains...Cloud vaults...From what I know of Chaac or Chac Xib Chaac, that he is the spirit of rain. Respected by both Pegasus ponies and earth pony farmers of ancient times...He was usually depicted as a Pegasus pony with scales...Almost like a dragon-pony hybrid...", he tried to dig up whatever information he could think of, but it was not much. "Our first step is to locate the nearest earth pony temple of Chac, which is probably going to be very hard to do.." Pocket Change did like a challenge!
  • Like 1

uLtPV0U.png

The mention of the storm kind made the dog raise a brow, "The Storm King? Was that the name of that strange person who attacked Equestria a while back?" Internally, Hogo-sha could appreciate the simplistically weighty title of 'Storm king'. It was a shame he couldn't have been around to see how that turned out, This land had amazing heroes of its own and he'd have loved to see how this villain was beaten. If he was going to forge his own legend he had to learn from the best!

He took another sip of his tea as the stallion elaborated on the nature of pegasus artifacts. "I actually think I may have a way to help get us up to a temple in the clouds... although it won't be easy to move around much with. But like you said, locating it would be difficult. I might be able to speed up the process if we had any other magical artifacts from the same temple on hoof, but I'm sure such a request to see one would require a lot of paperwork..." Cloud magic was something Hogo-sha knew a little bit about, but he was nowhere as good as any pegasus, "... and that description sounds sort of Kirin like, doesn't it? I've known a few of them and not many have shown much propensity towards weather manipulation or cloud making." He cupped his chin in thought before looking back to Pocket Change, "