Official Discussion Thread - S09E01 & E02 The Beginning of the End - Part 1 &2

UpacqB8.png?1

In this first part, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna decide to retire and hand off the ruling of Equestria to Twilight Sparkle and her friends. Meanwhile, the ancient villain Grogar bands together a legion of villains to conquer Equestria, but King Sombra has plans of his own.

In this second part, Twilight Sparkle and the rest of the Mane Six struggle to come to terms with the destruction of the Tree and Elements of Harmony, and King Sombra sets his sights on conquering all of Equestria.

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk
  • Like 2

So last season...Great episodes...

Spoiler

1. HUZZAH! I've been waiting for Grogar since...well, since I started watching this show since season 2..

2. Somba finally gets to be a proper villain. And for a guy who could only grumble CRYSTALS in his last appearance, the guy wouldn't shut-up during his scenes. Which is good.

3. No running away with his girl-friend for this Sombra. Unlike the comic, the girls out-right killed him dead.

4. Discord was fun.

5. I'm still holding onto hope that Cozy Glow will be shown to not be a regular ol' kid. They say she might know more than she appears to know..

6. What's going on with  Princess Cadance near the end of episode 1? After Sombra is 'zapped' she looks rather sinister and almost looks like she's about to attack but stops. Is that Queen Chrysalis?

7. Kind of bummed they're not letting regular old ponies run things. Would be nice to let the mortals run things once again.

Though some things about the eps were a bit disappointing and felt sort of.. rushed/had weird pacing? I greatly enjoyed them, mainly getting to see and hear Sombra at last <3 When I first heard his voice I was kind of 'eh' about it but it quickly grew on me, especially with how he was kind of over the top. Glad to see he's as arrogant as I thought he'd be. xD

It's too bad he's 'dead' again. I'm hoping they'll maybe bring him back if he's willing to go along with Grogar? idk! they might not, knowing how they write, but I can hope.

• 1 month later...

There was a lot of small details that made this episode work for me, the least of which is that the Mane 6 (aside from Twi) seem to have an understanding of what to expect now, and an awareness that feels earned. Sombra in Part 1felt rather silly and only a threat near the end of part 2. Discord's speech gave away the fact he was faking it, not that I expected him to get hurt anyway.

Then there was this, and this was the best Twilight has ever looked IMHO.

2021252.gif