Schooled (Closed: Taco)

SteelEagle

8oYM79h.png?1

What the heck? Was he checking her out? She knew she was pure 100% hot stuff, but wasn't he a little on the young side to be doing that?

"Guess it runs in the family as I have a brother that's into music..." Well, maybe that was stretching it. Or was he more like his sister and just enjoyed dressing up. Still, his poetry did save the lives of more than a hundred hatchlings to be.  What a weird day that was. The bongos were an a musical instrument....She thought.

A sly smile formed on her face. "Guess if you join one of the dance clubs, I'll have to follow...Keep my eye on yah so you can't cause any trouble, eh?", she gave the colt a wink before there was a sharp return to slightly more moribund talk.

"Eh...", that was not her finest hour. "Now that I know....Thanks to our library here....I would say we would make statues like anyone else...One would need hammer, chisels, and files....A well planned out statue sketched out on paper...The right safety tools like a mask and goggles. But for the most part, I just spent a few minutes, kicking, punching, slashing and eventually biting a large rock, hoping it would simply turn into something that would memorialize a tree.. And no surprise, it did not turn into what I wanted. Go fig.."

While things were improving, dragons really did not do art. They had their caves. They had their lava. And one place that serves really bad coffee. They really did not have any villages, cities or towns. Maybe this will all change. After spending her nights on a an rather comfortable bunk bed, the dragoness really had her doubts that she could return to sleeping on a cave floor.  Even if things did get a little drafty from time to time. "As for the very new 'Tree-house Of Harmony', if you've been to the Crystal Empire, you'd get a good idea what it looks like....A big crystal tree with an crystal building for an trunk.....Almost Crystal Empire meets Cloudsdale? It's mostly just a place to hang out and relax.....We have a little library....Half-bathroom type...Little kitchen-ete area..Mostly for making snacks and a good cup of tea." She stopped herself from saying it was a 'little home away from home'. She'd probably have to smack her if those words ever came from her mouth.

"So we could check out the dining hall...They're not serving, but they have a couple of vending.....Wait you modeled? What kind?" Smolder was curious..

• Like 1

If he could promote the arts then success! He returned the wink. "Well, I'm very much a troublemaker. One time I didn't make my bed before leaving in the morning. The absolute horror..." he said with mock terror, standing up on his hind legs and throwing a foreleg over his eyes in a dramatic re-enactment of every Rarity freakout ever. "What music does your brother play?" He asked as he got back down and allowed the conversation to proceed with distinct pleasantness. He always enjoyed learning about those with unusual, stereotype-shattering personalities. Smolder and her brother certainly fit that bill! He didn't get to hear it or see what her brother was like, but artistry was wonderful wherever it is and whatever form.

She spoke at length about the wonder of the Treehouse. Well, less about the wonder and more about what it had. Pretty nice all things considered, though he still had some questions. "I've been to the Crystal Empire twice, both times for work. When I'm out and about for my work, I don't tend to venture very far," he said, allowing the pregnant pause to go unheeded as he slid into the tree again. "It sounds delightful. I wonder how it has running water...is it magical or does it have natural...plumbing, I suppose? It would be more elegantly designed if it were natural, though far more charming if it were magical. Does it have bedrooms?" He asked, wondering if this was a full-service treehouse or an afternoon hangout sort of location. The idea of living in a magical crystal treehouse certainly had its appeal.

Smolder caught the last turn of his sentence, and he chided himself briefly for mentioning. Then again, it wasn't like this day hadn't been unusual anyway, so why not? Only a few ponies knew who Gilded Lilly was but Smolder seemed a good sort. No doubt he could rely on her discretion in this matter. He blushed but remained even on his face. "Oh, yes. That. Well, I'm already in a ballerina outfit and had an unusual magical experience with you, so no need to have such barriers. I work with Miss Rarity during her fashion tours as filly fashion supermodel Gilded Lilly. I put on a Prench accent and everything, a real life espion averti de la mode, oui?" He tittered with the accent leaving him. "It has been good work and nopony knows. Well, excepting Miss Rarity, cousin Applejack, Twilight, and now you. Entreprise exclusive!"

0Znw47R.png?1

"Wow....Sounds like you have a future in Tartarus if you continue your little not-making spree that is.", the dragon said with a playful wink. She had also been a harden criminal when it came to beds, but eventually changed her ways when her pillow started to lose its form. Making one's bed everyday helped to keep her pillow in it's proper shape, and it was hard to read with a squished pillow.  Still, like her bunk-mate Ocellus, a 'bed-room' or even a room was still very new to her. She was used to an cave. Kept her out of the rain, and larger dragons could not get in and mess with her stuff.

"Well, it's a combination.....Poetry and music...", Smolder was able to learn a little about her brother's unique style during one of her little library stays. Originally she just enjoyed listening to her older sibling's poems for a source of amusement. "It's called 'Beat poetry'. It's spoken to match music that is played during the recital. Usually with these cute little 'bongo' drums." One of these days she'll have to figure out where he picked this up. From what she had read, this form of poetry was started way over in San Franciscolt. Maybe a passing trader or explorer stumbled upon Garble.

"My brother really got into his poetry but was TERRIFIED of performing in front of his so-called friends, so I was his one and only audience member until recently....", she sighed, "During my last trip we managed to convince him to say 'soot' to all that and that he was free to express his way even if his jerk-head friends didn't like it, which beat poetry was about anyways...Questioning society's norms. Digging your own path. Costumes were also very important for some reason...Oh...", and before she forgot, "We also saved a whole clutch of dragon eggs in the process."

The little pony asked a few questions about the tree-house. "Yeah it has running water...I never questioned where it comes from or where it goes...", she shivered, "I'm assuming it's all the same magic building stuff that made Headmare Twilight's castle. Which I heard came fully furnished. As for our place...No on the bedrooms, although we do have a little area with a couch that could be use for naps." Just as long as you can kick Gallus off it that is.

She was rather surprised to hear what the colt had just confirmed. He dressed as a filly-super-model. He was dainty enough to pass this off, especially when dressed and made up properly. Would he be able to continue this once he got older? Stallions tended to be a bit more boxy, barrel-shaped than mares. Still, he gave her something and he needed to return the favor. Quid pro quo as they would say.

"Erm.", Smolder glanced around to see if anyone was lurking nearby. Nope. They were all alone. "Since you've been honest.....And told me that...Er..", a light blush fell on her cheeks. "I really enjoy having tea-time..." There she said it! "Not just sitting around sipping Black tea from a coffee cup in your underwear...But the whole thing....The exquisite clothing...The little cakes..The polite conversations....the whole relaxed atmosphere....Since it's just so much, I haven't told my friends that...Not yet...Although they might already know about it." Especially if a certain griffon blabbed about it.

"Whew.", she gasped, "Felt good to get that off my chest.."
  • Like 1

The fact that it was proven to be an issue for her brother was maddening, if only because it went out and confirmed that even as Harmonic principles spread there would always be those who played to their worst instincts. Luckily he had an awesome sister and enough guts to finally stand for himself- and in the end, hopefully prosper. Good news always came through such honest efforts.

Beat poetry, she said? Interesting. Beat poetry and indeed the entire artistic movement had begun in the universities around Manehattan, so he was somewhat familiar with their rhythms. It had truly grown into its own when it reached San Franciscolt, where the leading figures of it truly took it to the so-called 'mainstream'.

Valen wasn't sure if Smolder's brother was inspired by them or of it was concurrent or unrelated artistic development. It was warranting of further investigation- by somepony more qualified than he, somepony with some knowledge but no great love of the subject. Poetry had its place, and that was as something for him to absorb during his education and never use again, thank you very much. Still, it didn't mean he couldn't share it.

"Hmm...lemme see if I remember one...oh, here's one. The Peak, I think by Gray Neighder: It’s just one world, this spine of rock and streams/ And snow, and the wash of gravels, silts/Sands, bunchgrasses, saltbrush, bee-fields,/Twenty million little ponies, downstream, here below,” he said with confidence as he mouthed some of the words. Confident, he nodded. "Yes, I think thats it. I have a good connection with a rare bookseller in Manehattan. I could get your brother a collection if he were so inclined?" Valen offered, always willing to help somepony, or in this dragon, express themselves.

Even as he had issues with himself.
Luckily, it seemed like Smolder had fewer qualms than himself here. She revealed that she loved tea parties- not that big of a revelation, since he'd wager most Equestrians would agree! But she wasn't an Equestrian. She was a dragon, so it certainly struck him as a unique revelation to herself. “Well...tea can be fun, and dressing the way you feel is always a good way of expressing yourself. The peace and serenity of being you can never be overstated, no matter what it is,” he said, missing the point himself.

They turned a corner, leading to the dorm area. “So, what are the rooms like?”

• Like 1

tkUj84V.png?2

Smolder could not help but chuckle just a little bit. It was so bizarre the first time her brother had revealed that he enjoyed an actual art. This was something rather rare for a dragon. They enjoyed collecting things. Rocks. Gems. Gold. But to actually produce something on their own? This almost made her wonder if Ember had originally meant to invite Garble to this 'School Of Friendship'. He was not afraid to go against dragon customs, while Smolder never saw herself as anything special. While she originally had not wanted to go to Ponyville, over the last few months, she had quickly changed her mind. She rather liked it here.

And now this image of seeing her brother reading a book? "If you are able to get ahold of the book, I would be more than happy to bring it to my brother during the next break." While he was much better than before, how would he treat this sweet, gentle colt? Probably worse than he had originally treated Spike. She paused to listen to Valen's attempt at Beat Poetry, "You did good...It just needs to go along with music...As the poetry keeps up with the beat of the music...Drums..guitars...And maybe even a piano...Erm...For money, I could always give you a few gems." she would feel bad if he had to actually pay for the thing, being a kid and all. Well, a kid younger than she.

"And if you're looking for peace and serenity...There's actually a lovely little garden behind the school..", the dragon started to lead the young pony further down the hallway. "Not sure who made it, but I like to go back there when I need to concentrate and relax....It's right by a waterfall and you can just close your eyes and...", for just a moment the dragon was asleep on her feet. "Woah..", she quickly woke. It took her a moment to start moving again......"As for rooms..",

She pushed open a door. Inside was a lovely little bedroom with a bunk-bed on one side, and a series of desks and shelves on the other side.  It appeared to be vacant.. "As you can see it's rather homey...Lots of room to study...The beds are very comfortable....As are the chairs...Just hope you get a roommate that doesn't snore..." Thankfully Ocellus was a very quiet roomie. The room itself once belonged to that little creep Cozy Glow...A pony Smolder always knew was up to no good...

"Have any questions before we go on?"