A Canterlot Castle Haunting [Open!]

dragonofruin

Raven smiled at Hogo-Sha. "Ah, so, it's a natural ability then. Well, It'd be kinda cool to learn more about this, perhaps you and Blueblood could come by my house after all this... Sombra knows he's welcome anytime if he wishes to join us." She said, before following Sombra into the doorway. As she did, she felt it, a large shiver moving down her spine. Soon after, books were flung at them, but not by anypony. Her senses didn't pick up on any concealing spells, so either they were good mages, or it was a more generalized spell to create the effects. She carefully headed towards the bookcase, planning to scan it with her magic to try to learn what the spell might be...

• Like 1

All thoughts of a birthday bash were quite directly driven out of Blueblood's head by the flying book.  Being struck on the nose by a leatherbound tome will do that to a pony.  "Obth!"  He yelped, sitting down suddenly as he pinched a foreleg against his muzzle.  A little drip of red revealed that he was bleeding; though the Prince was currently more worried about his coat staining than anything more serious about his injury.  "Thtupid gothts..."  He growled, a rather feeble imitation of Sombra at his most intimidating.

One he stemmed the flow enough to get back on all fours again, he picked up the book with his magic, wondering if the title would give any kind of clue.  Unfortunately, it wasn't in Equestrian, or any of the other languages the diplomat was literate in.  The hard, angular letters had something... crystalline about them.  An ancient Imperial book?  But why would someone publish a book in a dead language?  His frown deepened; was there some kind of magic surrounding this book?

"Could you guyth run thome detecting thpells on this?  I think there'th thome magic thurrounding it..."

• Like 1

366XRbl.jpg

"I'd love to speak more about this with you, Miss Raven. I'm sure I've plenty of stories to share with you. I'd also be glad to learn more about your friend Sombra." As Raven made her way to inside alongside Sombra, Hogo-sha looked down both passages of the hallway. Was this dark in this corridor previously... he could have sworn that it wasn't, but then again he'd had his nose to the floor until a moment ago.

Hearing Sombra's bedgrudging admission that he found something was good enough for Hogo-sha. The wolf's tail began to wag behind him at the words of praise, some instincts never fade it seems. "I can assure you, friend." The wolf took another deep breath and sniffed a few times at the doorway, "If there's is any notable magical disturbance than this is the room it shall be in he--." And then a book soared off a shelf and collided with Blueblood's Muzzle. Hogo-sha's hackles rose and he let out a deep growl towards the bookshelf, the yokai having a dramatic staredown with the ominous bit of furniture/storage space. When No other books came out to meet the group he turned around  to face blueblood, "Are you alright?" He asked as he circled once around the stallion. He seemed to be alright, save for the bloody nose and even that wasn't terribly bad.

Before Raven and Sombra came to inspect, Hogo-sha leaned in and took a curious whiff of the book. He flinched and had to back up, bringing his paws to his muzzle and fighting the urge to retch. His tone was tense and hurried, "It... Definitely has magic around it." It felt to the wolf as if he'd walked into a perfume store. For a nose so sensitive and in tune with magical auras it was like a massive sensory overload that made his stomach turn from the shock. 

Thankfully the few books that'd flown off the shelves at him had missed Raven, although one pony was not so fortunate. Sombra couldn't fight back the smile that spread across his lips when he heard Blueblood growling- or at least attempting to. It sounded so much like Blueblood was trying to sound angry, or perhaps like himself, and failing. Ponies just couldn't growl, and all their attempts to sound like they were was.. cute.

While Raven went to inspect the bookcase, which just looked like any other bookcase though had a lingering, steadily fading magic around it, Sombra turned to face Hogo-sha and Blueblood, mostly to give the latter a curious look. Beyond a bloody nose, the noblepony seemed fine. His attention shifted to the book Hogo-sha had sniffed and recoiled from, the book Blueblood now held. Sombra reached out with his own magic, hoping to pry it from the unicorn's magical grip so that he could get a good look at it too- there was something in the glimpse he'd caught of the title on the book's face that looked a little familiar to him and he couldn't put a toe on it just yet.

"I will," he stated, almost boredly, though Hogo-sha's reaction to it told him it was about the same: dark magic. Sombra didn't think the book would really be anything, beyond a random object the strange force in the castle had flung. The magic was likely already shifting towards some other part of the castle to wreak more havoc, and it'd only grow stronger as it wore on towards night- it already had been since it started. He couldn't fathom what might happen beyond scaring ponies, though the fact that it'd managed to harm one didn't seem to bode too well.. Sombra's mind was particularly stuck on the 'scaring ponies' part of it. Rather useful to somepony like him, but he was the only pony like him.

There were a few other disturbances in the castle, scattered among the rooms, although distant enough they likely might not hear anything from here.

• Like 1

Raven frowned as she examined the bookcase. There was a fleeting magic, almost like someone had cast a spell that could flow around an area, instead of over the entire area. She shivered again, the feeling of even that faint magic flowing away felt tainted. It seemed similar to Sombra's magic to her, but he wouldn't do something like this, not even to amuse himself. She was so lost in her musings, she didn't realize what had happened to Blueblood until she turned around. As soon as she saw Blueblood bleeding, she went over, concern on her face. "Are... Are you okay?" She asked softly, ashamed she didn't notice sooner...

Oh, great.  It was looking like Blueblood had gotten his nose bloodied for nothing, in so far as advancing their investigation was concerned.  "Beh... I'm find, I dingd."   He responded to the yokai and unicorn, holding his nose until the bleeding scabbed up.  It still blocked his nose, though, which he knew would be annoying for the rest of the day.  "Meh, whoeber this ith thould just come oud already.  This ith getting nopony nothingd."  The Prince was, as Fluttershy would say, in a right peeved state of mind, and he didn't care who knew it!

Grumbling under his breath about "thrithe-darned thpirits", he looked to Sombra for what to do next, as it seems the book was giving no leads.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Surely there was something interesting about this old Crystalline book. He could certainly read the language, considering the time period he'd come from. However, he didn't have the time to just sit here and read it when whatever had been in this room had already moved on. If he could really call it a something. Whatever it was, he intended to find it. Deciding that he could read this book later, Sombra decided to teleport it to Celestia's room for easy access later. Right now he had to focus on the company he currently had.

"It's not likely to show itself just because you want it to. This is something we're going to have to find, wherever it is in the castle, if it even has a source. It.. might." A small frown crossed his muzzle and it was evident in a look in his eyes that he suspected something, but he wasn't entirely sure what it was. He would never voice his concerns aloud, however. The only thing he would reveal was the amusement he felt over Blueblood's angry grumbling, which had sadly had to take a back seat to everything else no matter how cute he found it. There was the barest trace of a smirk for the noble stallion before he turned away and started down the hallway, heading deeper into Canterlot castle. It was a bit of a maze if somepony hadn't been living here for a while and learning its layout.

They weren't likely to get far before there was a brief surge of magic that went flickering across the halls, heading.. somewhere. The exact destination was an unknown, but it was quite a giveaway. It was more than just a fluctuation causing these hauntings, but what exactly it was, Sombra couldn't discern. He quickened his pace to a trot, hoping to catch up with it.

366XRbl.jpg

"Hmmm... I'm sure I have a spare on my coat somewhere." The wolf magically searched his coat until he produced a clean square of cloth for Blueblood, "I do not have much in the way of healing, Your Highness. I can at least offer you a tissue for your trouble." It was times like this when Hogo-sha wished he'd taken some lessons on healing spells rather than all the other things he'd made use of.  Lightning and winds weren't too useful when it came to disinfecting things.

"I apologize for not catching that book. I'll stay close for the rest of the journey if you so desire."

The wolf flinched as he felt a sudden flare of magic somewhere in the castle. He was ready to try and sniff it out but it seemed Sombra had already gotten an idea where it was! Thank goodness. He wouldn't have to run into another dusty floor.  The Wolf looked to Blueblood and when the prince got ready to go , Hogosha was right alongside him keeping pace with ease.

Raven shivered as she felt the surge go past, before noticing that it was strong enough for the others to feel. "I don't think it's anything but something somepony cast... I know the castle has a lot history, but I would bet that with how long the princess has been here, it's got more positive energy than negative..." She said, as they headed down the hall after the surge. After a bit of down the hallway she felt the surge again, stronger than before. Either they were getting closer, or the magic was playing with them. The part she really noticed though, was how the magic felt the vaguest bit familiar, though she couldn't place it...

• Like 1

Given that his biggest contribution so far was showing up a clue by it literally hitting the nose on his face, Blueblood was steadily beginning to dread the continuation of this search.  But darn it, he couldn't be having this sort of thing happen in his Aunties' house!  If the best he could do was to bring together experts and act as bait for dark magic... *Princess and country, my boy; Princess and country.*

Once the surge of magic was detected, he followed Sombra's lead, if only to give what or whoever was behind all this a piece of his mind.  Holding the cloth to his nose, he nodded to Hogo-sha as they trotted along.  "Apprethiate it, friend."  He blew his nose, gently, in an attempt to clear it.  A little blood came out with the scabs, but his nasal passages were clear enough to talk normally.

"Eh, you're right there, Raven.  There's not a lot of bad history here; Auntie doesn't have pirate ancestors raiding cursed tombs, either."

• Like 1