Foxhunt! (Invite-Only)

Blueblood

RRhqIJw.png

Okaaaay; Tempest was giving Sunset a real stinker-eye over trying to brush off the topic. In response, the amber unicorn could only blush and awkwardly avert her gaze. “Haha, you got me,” Sunset admitted defeat, but then she smirked; “But it’s actually worse than that! You ALSO get transformed into a bipedal form while you’re in their world! Don’t worry though, you get used to it after a while.”

It turned out that when it came to burning bridges to the past, Tempest Shadow was in a similar boat. Had anypony else been here with the Storm King’s former second-in-command, hearing how Tempest singled out her former friends for retribution would have been an obvious opportunity to cast judgement. But who was Sunset to cast judgement when she once zombified her classmates?

By this point, Sunset and Tempest had walked far enough to reach a large pond on Ponyville’s outskirts; the same one that laid adjacent to the School & Castle of Friendship. Of course, nobody was around because due to the Iron Pony festivities, although someone by now must surely be wondering where several of the competitors vanished off to... right?

“Why do I keep coming back to Equestria?” Sunset stopped at the shores of the pond to gaze into the crystal-clear waters; “.....I suppose I do it mainly for Twilight, I guess. D-don’t get me wrong; my friends on the other side are the best a girl can ask for! But Twi’s different; she made sure I got a second chance when anybody else would have thrown me to the timeberwolves. Princess Twilight helped me become the girl I am today, and I’ll always owe her a debt for that.”

“Plus, you know, they’re times when you need someone who just... gets you instinctively. My best friends; they’ll never understand what it feels like to be taken under the wing of a living legend... to have great expectations placed upon you, and fearing that you’ll end up letting everybody down. Twilight and I: we share that same background... we both know what it’s like to forsake friendship in order to live up to our potential. Sometimes when I’m going through rough patches, I remember how Twi’s able to overcome the worst things imaginable, and thinking about that gives me the inspiration to go on.”

Sunset Shimmer’s horn lit up, and her reflection in the still pond stedily turned into a mirror image of a lavender unicorn with the most heartwarming smile conjurable. “And I’ve got to admit: Twilight always has this way of greeting her friends as if you haven’t seen each other in years. Being around Twi is like... sitting next to a blazing fireplace all wrapped up in a cozy blanket.....” With the way Sunset sighed as she gazed upon the illusionary alicorn with half-lidded eyes, a pony well-versed in cliches might have accused her of swooning.....

• Like 2

"Different... world?"  Feng couldn't say he understood that much; his foalhood hadn't been as full of fairy tales as that of an average Equestrian colt growing up.  He'd dreamed of other lands, sometimes, when he could sometimes hardly stand living in his hometown.  But other worlds were a bit beyond him.  Looking again to the pair, it looked as if they weren't going to approach, but Tempest no longer looked as if she'd bolt after any sudden noises.  "I think it's safe to rejoin them."

That might have been an optimistic approach; Feng was slightly better at judging physical than social risk.  Not that it ever stopped him from surging into dangers of the former type anyway, so it was honestly surprising his patience lasted this long.  They managed to catch up to Sunset just as she was drifting off into a dreamy look by the pond.  It brought Feng up short, looking oddly at the mare.  His confusion would have been darkly humorous for Hanabi, as she had often seen him look that way when thinking about a certain other mare.

"Hey, so, uh, mind if we join you again?"

• Like 3

6bY7jSx.png

Hanabi Followed along behind Feng as she approached, ears still listening to Sunset and Tempest's conversation. The topic soon turned to someone special it seemed. Hanabi recognized that tone of voice. She'd recalled it from when she would talk about her interest in Feng with one of the other trusted friends she had in the castle. It helped that the chef's nose was sharper than a ponies... she could practically smell the love in the air coming off Sunset in waves. Having seen this look on eng before helped, but remembering who he thought about when he had it often made her feel irritated.

Sunset's comparison to being next to a blazing fireplace when around them. Hanabi had felt that feeling not long ago when hugged up beside Feng, Stinky wingpit or no. Feng always made her feel warmer. Happier... Even,  safer. Like she could actually handle all the workload she often had in the palace arranging things in the kitchen and handling all the orders. Ancestors know, how much of a trial opening up her first restaurant in the capital was. Having Feng to talk to ... made it seem doable.

When Feng asked his question Hanabi would smile slightly and poke her head out from behind him, "If It's okay with either of you that is."

• Like 2

The fact you end up as one of the… bipedal things in that world made it sound so much worse, Temy can’t even think about what it is like to wiggle about on one's back legs than fail their… arms? Arms was it? About to grab things. At least griffins walked about like a civilized species! Belh! 

But far more fascinating and less sad than that fate was Sunsets take on why she comes back. friendship, and not just some good friends. But something more. A best mate, a brother in arms that you trust and knows you like no other. That was her bond with Twilight. Something She never… Well maybe one time did have. But such feelings for another so far removed from ehr life now they seemed no different than reading about some pony in an old book. 

As for… the tones other picked up on, they were all but lost on Temy. Such notes of love and romance were so outside of her reach of understanding they did not even register as a passing thought. To her eyes this was bound of deep camaraderie. Something she did wish, even thinking about Sunny having such a bound with an other left her feeling some about of want for the same. What it must be like to have such a strong tie come back to someplace so far away time and time again just to see them. “You are lucky to have such a thing…” She says looking at the lake, ears aiming behind her at the two following them. She was very aware they have been. 

“One day maybe I shall have such camaraderie again and not be scared of it. When ever some pony reaches out all I see are daggers behind backs. That is my world and my own jail it seems. I know I am in it yet I can not find the key to let myself free. Even now…” She darts her head back to look at the two following them, before they even talked she was staring at them with a flick of an ear. “Fine, join us again. Saves you following like lost pups.”

She looked back to Sunset sighing and taped her hoof at the water. “One brick at a time I breaking free. Its slow. Painfull. But at least I know… As much as I hate it, much of this jail is my own making. Now I must unmake it… And maybe it's best not to do it alone. I just have to learn how to open the door to let help in.”

• Like 2

RRhqIJw.png

Sunset Shimmer ceased her illusion spell as Tempest Shadow spoke up again, this time about the insecurity she faced whenever offered friendship. She didn’t get to far before noticing that Feng and Hanabi had followed the two unicorns. Fortunately, things had calmed down enough for Tempest to be comfortable having them around, so she went back to describing her friendship difficulties.

Being the avatar of Empathy that she was, Sunset Shimmer could recognize that Tempest Shadow was in the beginning stages of accepting new acquaintances into her life. Although they both lived in different dimensions and barely knew one another, Sunset herself could feel a certain connection with Tempest she rarely felt with other non-Twilight ponies... save perhaps for the friendship apprentice — Starlight Glimmer — who surprise, surprise... ALSO shared a dark and troubled past.

.....Twi certainly seemed to attract the bad girls, didn’t she?

“I... actually have an idea about that.” Sunset chimed in optimistically; “I live in a different world from yours, and I guess you’re the sort of pony who moves around constantly. If I call in a favor or two however... I could get you a magic journal so we can keep in touch! It’s how I stay in contact with Princess Twilight whenever I’m not in Equestria.”

The amber unicorn sheepishly kicked the ground around her hoof; “But yeah, it’s not everyday I find a pony in Equestria I can relate to. It’d mean a lot to me Tempest if we could be pen-pals.....”

• Like 2

"Oh, I didn't know you liked dogs!"  Feng chuckled, as he moved to take a seat by the other side of Tempest, peering around her for a second to take another curious look at Sunset.  She was definitely an... affected mare, but affected by what?  Looking back at Hanabi, he could tell that the fox knew; he'd have to ask her later.

All that aside, it was Tempest that held the majority of his focus.  Upon hearing her resolution to break out of her self-imposed prison, he offered a hoof, a more serious sort of smile on his face.  "Well, when it comes to opening doors that someone once really wanted to stay closed, I've got some experience in that.  Be glad to put it to use, if you'll have my help.... friend."

• Like 2

At the mention of dogs, Hanabi wrinkled her noses. Dogs could be such an annoyance. Thankfully the diamond dogs were quite nice... at least Liviel was. Her kind didn't have the best relationship with canines in the past.  "I'll thank you not to confuse me for a canine." A huff escaped her before she stretched out with a yawn, "I'm much better looking than that." 

Scanning the area around her, Hanabi listened for any approaching hoofsteps or shadows on the horizon. A deep breath focused what magic of hers remained. Now that she was feeling so much calmer than before, it was about time she got her disguise back on. A small flick of green flame  rose up around her quickly and once it dissipated she was back to her qilin shape. She checked the bottom of her hooves, her tail, poked the end of her now qilinified muzzle: content when it came back dry.

hYGS9Wp.png

"Sunset... Tempest... " The transformed yokai bowed her head to the pair of unicorns, "I'd like to thank you for helping me regain my senses and talk me out o my panic. I am in your debt. If you ever require my assistance in some matter of a favor. I'll be there to grant it... so long as you write. Don't worry. I can read Equestrian common." The cook's tone had changed recognizably. Sounding uncharacteristically serious about her words. It might have been something of a shock to Feng (Well, in addition to all the other shocks today), in that Hanabi in the kitchen or in his memory rarely seemed to take anything seriously.

• Like 2

Tempest did not respond to them, not at first. Just staring out at the lake she felt so out of place with a heavy feeling of flight or fight. She was afraid of what was happening around her as very genuine offers of kinship were being held out for her. And that scared her more than any battle or monster she has faced. She did not deserve it, not one drop of it. But that can’t be why she was scared. She knew that and it made her feel all the more ashamed. 

Rubbing her front legs together she shifted uneasily before looking at herself in the water. Such a sad mare she saw, sitting alone even as others sat with her. “I.” She starts and ends going nowhere with that as she struggled to place her feelings. “I’d… like that… All of it.” Almost forcing herself to speak at first. “I’d like some friends ya.” She looked over at Sunset and gives the mare an awkward smile. “I don’t know what strings you’d have to pull but that sounds nice…” She then looked to the rest. 

“I’m sorry for… Everything. This day should not be about me. Fange! You won… And Hanabi you deserve as much care.” She says with a shake of her head. “But you still pushed onward, dropping everything for… Me. I don’t know… How to deal with things like this. I don’t get helped. I don’t get saved. But I have been. Time and time and I just…” She trailed off looking away with a frustrated snort and stomp, angry at herself. Why was just… taking something good so damned hard. “I know what happiness was. But after losing it one time I am scared of losing it again. You have to understand being my friend will not be easy for me or you three.” She explained as well as she can before pulling herself to look at all of them again. “But I think… no, I know this is what I need.” Shifting about she looked down at a hoof, than holds it out with an even more awkward smile. “So maybe… We can be friends?”

• Like 2

RRhqIJw.png

Sunset Shimmer reached out to firmly accept the hoof offered by Tempest Shadow. “If friendship was easy,” she said with a warm smile; “It wouldn’t be worth fighting for.” It was true that Tempest proved herself difficult to deal with many times throughout this day. Nevertheless, the broken-horned unicorn had many things to offer that nopony else could precisely due to her rough edges.

And if Tempest Shadow of all ponies can find her place in Equestria one day, that would give Sunset hope that just perhaps... she could do the same. Not that she planned on leaving the Mirror World anytime soon, but with the specter of graduation looming... well, that’s a story for another time. Sorry, readers.

Sunset meanwhile stepped back to address the entire group; “We should probably head back now before everycreature starts wondering where all the best Iron Pony athletes went. Oh, and Yanhua; on the way, you have to fill me in on what’s the deal with... you know, EVERYTHING about what you are.....”

*EXIT SUNSET*

• Like 2

Feng extended a wing to give the newly-qilinified Yanhua one last little hug.  She'd given her thanks to him earlier, and he nodded in affirmation to the gratitude she showed to Sunset and Tempest.  "Hey, don't worry about it.  I mean, you were a friend and helped us out when we were in a jam, and then we did the same.  We just keep doing that, and this friendship will go just fine!"  He laughed, taking the burgundy mare's hoof and giving it a shake.

Having done that, he folded his wing again, leaning to stretch and cool down his muscles after a long day of exertion.  "Right you are, Sunset!  Back to the pavilion."  Turning around, with head held high, he led the impromptu parade back to what would turn out to be the victory podium.  Feng reflected upon the events of that day, noting with pride that he had in every respect fulfilled the Empress' wishes of him.  Not just in the gaining of athletic glory and renown for Long Guo, but in forging true bonds of friendship across the ocean.  Though he may be an Iron Pony, he felt his dragon's heart of gold beat within him...

FINIS

• Like 2