Hawthorn [Ready]

Flooberoid

Roleplay Type: WoE

Name: Hawthorn

Sex: Male

Species: Earth pony

Eye colour: Fresh cherry red

Coat: Forest green

Mane/Tail: Hawthorn’s mane is mostly an earthy brown that loosely falls around the back of his head, ending just short of the base of his neck. In the front, the mane sharply curves upwards and it is here that distinct white strands are visible on the underside of that mass of hair. His tail is short and simple, like a little brown paintbrush. 

Physique: Small for a stallion, but proportionally strong for his size. Hawthorn’s body conveys his gentle nature rather than his true strength, so he appears lean but still fit.

Residence: Family home on the edge of Ponyville

Cutie Mark: Hawthorn was a blank flank until he was an older colt, nearly a stallion, and his youngest brother was bedridden with a rare and mysterious fever. When he found a lead to the cure- a special herb called the Noble Clover- in one of his father’s books, he dashed out of the house before anyone could stop him and into the Everfree Forest to find one. 

In his haste to find a clover, Hawthorn managed to get lost in the forest for several hours. He started cursing himself for his recklessness when suddenly he heard the frightened squeaks of an injured chipmunk. Though pressed for time, Hawthorn couldn’t move on without nursing the poor thing back to health. This act was quickly rewarded as the chipmunk led him to a glade where the Noble Clover grew. Upon picking the clover, its image appeared on his flank.

The image is a vibrant set of three purple heart-shaped clovers. They symbolize his compassion as well as his talent for creating medicines from herbs.

Unique Traits: An encyclopedic knowledge of herbs, flowers and roots that can be used in medicine, and a proficiency in using basic tools like a mortar and pestle.

History: Hawthorn is the oldest of five siblings (from oldest to youngest, his brother Parsley, his sisters Sage and Rosemary, and his brother Thyme) raised by a single mother. Since his father, Flax Seed, left their family shortly after Thyme was born, Hawthorn has always helped his mother, Ginger Snap, with the younger kids. He tended to the garden and quickly became familiar with the herbs and spices they grew there on account of him now needing to help cook for the family. 

Indeed, family was all he had growing up as what few friends he had at school slowly started drifting away from him as he got older and older with still no cutie mark. Anger and frustration at this were overshadowed by loneliness as many moons passed with him still being the oldest blank flank he’d ever met. Over time, Hawthorn started to believe that he was useless, talentless and a burden to those around him. Little did he realize, though, that these feelings of inadequacy over his cutie mark may have been precisely the reason he could never come to realize what his true talent was.

The eventual appearance of his cutie mark triggered an epiphany in himself that he needed to stop moping and avoiding other ponies. He realized after healing his youngest brother that his hooves could be used to help and heal. Since then, Hawthorn has been more social and making a genuine effort to help other ponies. In support of this new lifestyle and as thanks for helping their mutual brother, his siblings surprised him with a handmade satchel to carry his remedies and reagents. He has carried it with him every day since. 

Character Personality: Hawthorn is a friendly a jovial guy who draws his energy and inspiration from helping ponies with their problems and bringing a smile to their faces. Compared to other earth ponies, Hawthorn’s life of raising kids and delicate plants has led him to be extremely gentle in all that he does. He is, of course, very compassionate and always tries his best to understand ponies' feelings. However, he can be quite paranoid and has been known to declare ponies sick when they are merely tired, or assume ponies dislike him when they just want some time alone. He is also easy to fool due to being too trusting and at times naive, no matter how technically intelligent he is.

Character Summary: An intelligent and compassionate apothecary who has dedicated his life to helping other ponies with their ailments and afflictions.

Pet: The chipmunk Hawthorn saved has started following him around and occasionally helps with tracking down and retrieving important ingredients. He has named the rodent Pinecone due to its messy brown fur resembling the spines on a pine cone.

Hi there! :D I’m happy to assist you in getting your character app approved for use in WoE RP!

Overall it’s a well written app and a solid character. Just one quick edit and I’m ready to stamp this one. 

In the last paragraph of history and three times towards the end of personality “people” is used to describe others. Since there are no people in WoE it’s best to stick to “ponies” or “creatures” or something of the like. A little bit nit picky I know but we want to make sure writers stick as close to what is presented in FiM as possible our WoE sections ;) 

Once you’ve edited please respond in this thread and I’ll be happy to stamp this app for you!

WHOOPS! It was midnight when I wrote this so I'll just chalk that one up to lack of sleep-

Also replying in advance of actually making the change simply because I need to hit three posts total in order to edit. I know, I should have taken care of that BEFORE writing an OC.