(OPEN) Falling into the trees... (or "Out of the frying pan, into the Everfree!")

Ashton

The warm wind was whistling through her feathers as it passed, as if there were secrets it wanted to whisper. The Princess's sun shone brightly, warming her feathers.

Her... singed... feathers...

The sunlight was almost bright enough to blot out the embers and shards of wood that were falling down around her, the wind almost enough to deafen the explosions... but both of those were "almost". As she fell, oddly calm and at peace with whatever her fate may be, a large airship above her was exploding. It appeared that the engine had caught on fire and ignited nearby fuel, completely destroying the read of the ship, however, being an airship it would no doubt safely reach port eventually.

"waste of some perfectly good coal dust" she commented as she finally shifted enough to turn over and face downward now that she was convinced that she was not being followed. Of course the reason she was not being followed had gone through her mind as well... after all, she was high-profile, even if the proven crimes on her record were minor, it wasn't every day that you get to arrest a legend... so why did they let her go?

Trees. Fast Approaching.

She took a deep breath and strained, her wings flexing, but still held tight against her body and coat by the chains, same with her paws and claws. 

"Well, I guess I've had a good run" she said "maybe next life will be better, cant be much wo-"

everything went black as she hit the canopy.

-----

Harle groaned as she opened her eyes. the sun was still above her was now framed within a griffon-sized hole in the tree canopy... She lay there for what might have been a minute or an hour, but finally the pain was starting to reach her head and she forced herself up onto all fours. The good news was that the fall had broken the chains that held her wings against her side... the bad news is it had been indiscriminate and also broken one of those wings, which was now bent in an angle that would make any wing'd creature wince. Despite this, the fall had done nothing for the shackles upon her legs, whether this could be good fortune, as it did not break her legs too, or bad fortune since it did not break the chains, remained to be seen.

Harle dusted herself and her red captains coat off best she could with only one wing and four chained legs, looking around at the trees that were her new temporary home, wondering why the guards had not followed her down, completely unaware of the danger of the forest she was taking shelter in...

• Like 1

"Ah what a wonderful day to be cloud lounging, the birds are singing, the sun is beaming, and the tempe-" Merry the pegasus stopped mid-sentence when she heard the sounds of explosions going of. "What in Celestia's name is that?" she questioned, head whipping around in all directions trying to find out just what could be happening. A moment later she saw the culprit, an airship was going down, and going down fast. Concerned she stood up on her cloud and looked closer at the ongoing semi-floating wreckage and noticed a black shape falling fast towards the everfree forest. "Oh no" she muttered. Merry knew it was someone but couldn't make out who or what by the way it was falling she wasn't sure if they were winged or not. If they were winged why weren't they flying? And what's with the weird things attached to them? Chains, it looks like but not quite sure. Curse my eyes, she thought to herself as the shape cascaded into the canopy, even from here Merry could hear the snapping of twigs and rustles of leaves that the well built body made. 

Anxiety gripped at her heart unsure of if the creature was alright. It was big so maybe the fall didn't do too much damage, but that was a awful high up fall. . . and the chains? What was that about? Were they a criminal and if so what if they're dangerous, but. . .  someone needs help and Celestia be darned if she's going to let fear conquer what was the right thing to do. So with that decided she spread her wings and headed for the landing area. When she got there and landed a safe distance away she noticed that the griffin was indeed injured. Looking at the wing made her wings ache with sympathy. "H-hey there" Merry cautiously started to walk towards the griffin, seeing her in chains and a busted wing meant she wasn't too much of a threat but better safe than sorry. "I saw that, um, very impressive fall there. What all happened? Who are you and why are you chained up like that? How can I help?" the questions just started rolling out of her the moment the first one left her mouth. Whatever is going on, Merry could tell today would be an interesting day.

Harle was glad her back was turned to whoever just landed because before she could shove her proverbial 'fearless battle-worn skypirate' mask back into place, her face had a look of 'oh trots!' but she kept her cool, reaching into her coat (how she managed to get her captors to let her keep her fancy gold-trimmed red captains cloak was a mystery in and of itself) and sighed, remembering her decanter of hard apple cider had been confiscated when she was arrested - she really could have used something to dull the pain of her wing and calm her nerves. But she might as well make with the intimidating pirate speak.

"Avast!" she announced in her trademark British accent, turning around and attempting to spread her wings intimidatingly "Before ye stands Harle Blackclaw, the scourge of the skies, my name strikes fear into the hearts of even me own crew!" she winced at the pain in her wing "Not even the queens own guards can hold a monster such as myself!" though after a moment of this and the warm feeling of blood running down her broken wing she sighed "oh who am I kidding, this is the least intimidating I've ever looked" she admitted, dropping the pirate speak and the fake accent, she sat down hard, which showed just how broken she felt right now "but yeah, name's Harle, Everyone calls me a Pirate but its closer to blackmailed treasure hunter" she admitted "there's a lot of mostly-fake charges against me and the guards picked me up and were taking me off to sun-butt's cellar" she seemed to realize her slip and corrected herself "I mean... to Queen Celestia's castle... not used to talking to anyone outside my crew that I dont want to piss off" she explained. Even now showing that familiar griffon attitude that her race was known for... and the fact that she was completely unaware that Celestia had abdicated the throne... "When the engines caught fire I took my chance to escape... though I could have timed it better..." she looked at er broken and bloody wing

Edited by Ashton
Colorizing Speech

Magnus sighed to himself as he walked down the road. That cider thing was rather annoying, and it seemed like this whole trip would be more trouble than it was worth. At least, it seemed like it until he heard the explosion and looked up to see the airship and the shape falling from it. Well, at least things were getting interesting. 

The unicorn set off towards where the figure was falling to, arriving not long after the pegasus mare. A griffon in a captain coat, apparently breaking out of a guard airship... interesting indeed. Magnus had been shrouded by his magic as he assessed the situation, but now he stepped out into the open and stopped his magic. To the other two, it would seem like he almost came out of thin air without a sound. 

“Well then, Harle, seems you have landed yourself in quite the situation. Your honesty is... appreciated if unexpected.” He wasn’t too sure why she had just come right out with all that, but he wasn’t going to complain about the free information. Assuming that was the truth, at any rate. 

Merry cringed as she saw the griffin who identified herself as Harle and a pirate no less! Although initially scary it was hard to be fully scared seeing the griffin's wing bent at a near impossible angle, shackled, and just looking shell shocked overall. Merry couldn't help but to feel a little empathy for her. Doubly so when the facade fell as fast as it came. Who sat in front of her was a broken treasure hunter who got the short end of the stick one too many times . Merry couldn't help but to giggle slightly at the mention of 'sunbutt' never heard someone refer to Celestia that way before either. "Well, I'm sorry to hear what's going on with you. I'm also really sorry we had to meet like this but maybe. . . " her voice trailed off as a male voice spoke up. Startled she looked around the forest sweeping from one side to the other and then when sweeping back a stallion was suddenly where nopony once was. Merry placed a hoof to her wildly beating heart and took a deep breath, she looked a little startled, not used to unicorn magic and having say a random stallion just pop into existence. Between the two folks who stood in front of her she felt the need of introductions were in order.

"Well I'm Merry" she offered to the two "I'm usually a mailpony for the Apploosan area but decided to take a much needed vacation from the hustle and bustle of country city life." Looking at Magnus she asked "Hey there mister appears out of thin air, do you think you could possibly help mend Harle's wing? It's makin' my wings twinge in sympathy"

Harle seemed to be recovering a little, and willing to be open and honest, at least until the unicorn showed up...

Even with her great coat covering most of her backside anyone could see the fur and feathers stand on end when he appeared and a cold fire lit in her eyes as her 'pirate' mark began to rise back into place. Her whole body tensed up and she looked ready to fight, wondering if this had been a setup to lower her guard and make her an easy mark, but the pegasus's words seemed to bring that reaction down a notch or two. As strange as it might seem, the wing'd pony's shock had a minor, though noticeable calming affect on the griffon, reassuring her that this had not been a setup, or at the worst had been a VERY bad one...

"Best stay back, lass" she said, standing "I know 'is type - he's here for some bounty my fiance's folks put on m' head" Yes, the fake accent had returned as the gruff persona slid back into place. She had been a fool to show weakness - to let her guard down and be vulnerable. Now she had made it all the easier for the assassin to strike her, whether with his sword or his words. "These chain may be holding m' back, but m' claws are still sharp as needles, and m' beak a well honed knife..." With Great strain and power she leapt into the air, flipping backwards and landing on her feet to prove she was still a foe to be taken seriously, even if the sandy ground below her was now stained pink with her own blood from the landing ---  and the pain in her wing reaching a crescendo as it moved unnaturally, threatening her concentration and consciousness. "You may take m' down and git yer filthy blood money, but I'll take a piece of you with me!" Yes, even while bound, wounded, and feeling emotionally scar'd she still could hold her head high and show that lions strength and eagle's grace that her kind were known for... The question now was whether all this bravado would be her undoing... she was in no condition for a fight, even if she had not been in chains, and she knew it. She had carefully positioned herself with her landing so she could easily make a run for it if needed - lure the unicorn away and perhaps give the pegasus a chance to escape in case the sellsword thought it best to eliminate witnesses after the act was done. Even now she was not willing to endanger innocents, and though she still worried this may have been a setup, she was not willing to risk another creature's life on it.

Magnus raised an eyebrow at the reactions he got from the others. The pegasus was pretty typical. Surprise. The griffon though? Well, she was certainly jumping to conclusions, among other things. He rolled her eyes at her threats, staying where he was. Or at least he appeared to, until suddenly he was behind her and the previous image disappeared. 

“There’s no point in going back into the pirate act, you know.” He said, grabbing her wing and setting it back in place. “I’ve already seen behind the curtain.” He added, floating over some wood to splint it. Well, that was about as much as he could do on that front, so he moved back before she tried to make good on her threats. 

“I have no interest in whatever bounty you may have on your head, I’m simply here because of your explosive exit from that craft.” He finished, looking between the two. After a moment, he looked back at Harle, or her chained limbs to be more precise, and began picking the lock. 

A worried expression showed on Merry's face as the facade slipped back into place as quickly as it left. What happened to this poor griffin that caused her to have such bravado and menace when, from what Merry gathered a few moments without the facade, was just a down on her luck adventurer and treasure hunter. The pegasus then took a few steps towards the Harle to see if she could calm her down and help her realize that maybe the unicorn wasn't there to hurt her as much as she was, which was none. As she trotted towards the griffon, suddenly the unicorn was behind her. Mild panic gripped Merry "What if this actually is the ponies who are after her?!". Not sure what to do for a moment too long and the unicorn reached towards Harle and straightened her wing, much to Merry's comfort and discomfort. Seeing the wing set back into place make her ruffle and shake out her own wings, stretching them to make sure they aren't in bad shape by association. 

"I'm glad someone here knows how to set a wing because I sure don't." she said somewhat lightheartedly hoping the sudden movement to her wing doesn't set Harle further into her "pirate" demeanor. Daring to take a few steps close to the towering griffon "I know you're probably still in shock, but I mean you no harm and I'm hoping since he set your wing back into place he isn't going to harm you any either." Merry kept the pace till she stood nose the chest feathers with Harle and daring look towards the unicorn "Mind telling us your name? Refering to you as he gets old after a while"

• Like 1

((oh how I wish I could show you the image in my head of Harle's face when he set her wing, its downright comical))

Harle looked ready to say something else menacing, when suddenly the unicorn was behind her... and she felt a pain unlike anything she had ever felt in her entire life! Her pupils turned to pinpricks as her eyes grew so wide it looked like they might pop out of her head, her break clenched hard, and, surprisingly, she didn't let out a single sound... just more telling of the life this Griff had gone through up to this point... She took several deep breaths, her claw again going to her coat for the decanter that wasn't there... she managed to force everything down again, though she blinked in surprise as the locks clicked open and the shackles all fell off her, she stared for just a moment, her mouth slightly open in shock "You... you helped me..." she said, once again her mask falling away but jumping back up immediately "Whats Yer game?!" she demanded in her fake accent, but she shook her head her voice returning to normal and even a little calm, if confused "I mean... why are you doing this?" she asked "Arent you scared of Sun-butt punishing you, or wanting the glory of defeating an unfortunately infamous sky pirate?"  clearly there was a lot of baggage to unpack here, 

She sighed, rubbing where the chains had chafed her and pulled on her fur or feathers, looking between the two she sighed yet again "maybe I should explain myself before I start making wild accusations... even if they're seemingly obvious..." she glanced at the unicorn, it was unclear if she fully trusted him yet, but showing that, at least in her mind, he was obviously exactly what she described, even if he wasn't there for her bounty

Harle sat down against the back of a tree "Not gonna lie, even now I feel like I should act strong and menacing; like I'm in control of the situation completely... its kinda something that's beaten into our heads early on, and it's saved my tail many times because others get scared of how 'unshakable' I am..." she paused "But the truth is... I know better... I know I'm not in control, especially now... my Fiance's stupid parents have gotten so many false charges piled up against me that I'm treated like a true monster anytime I show my face here... yeah my crew and I have gotten into some brawls, and I might have been too... coercive... a time or two when I needed a particular pony's help... but it always seemed ok in the end... yes, we did burn down a tavern once... it was an accident, I was drunk... but we made sure to leave more than twice enough bits behind to pay for the damages. and I've _Never_ murdered _Anyone_" the way she said it made it clear she was both charged with that, and furious with the charges, possibly furious that they'd even think she would ever do such a thing.

"I owe you two a lot for what you've done... and not done... I know you have questions... go ahead and ask them..." she said, clearly still feeling broken but willing to still try to be reasonable and open for now.

"It's not hard, if you know how it's supposed to sit." Magnus said simply, looking over at the pegasus. He had done it plenty of times in the past, thanks to his so-called friends in that group of thieves. He quietly fumed at the memories that dug up, trying not to let it show on his face. He rolled his eyes again at Harle's questions about Celestia and glory. "Please, I can handle myself. Besides, how would she even know about this? It's not like she's omnipotent, and there's nobody else around to tell her or the others." He added, looking back at Harle and listening to her tale. It seemed they had more in common than he thought initially. Just as well though, it didn't really change anything at the moment.

"Magnus." He replied simply to the question of his name. "If you are going to wear a mask, make sure it's one you can actually wear. Maintaining a charade can be quite the endeavor if it's not the right one. What even is your endgame with this, aside from simple survival?" The unicorn asked, raising an eyebrow at the griffon.