Answers, Questioned (Closed: Foxxy)

SteelEagle

image.jpegimage.jpeg

AJ was pleased that Moonlight was willing to stay and eat with them. She knew it would have been really hard to say no. Her cooking was good and she knew it! She nibbled at her greens and listened as the filly gave her feelings on the huge changes that had occurred. The farm mare was glad for Valen but she felt an inkling of missing him somehow. The colt trying to find his way in the world. He'd come to her for advice not that long ago and she'd told him to live the life his heart wanted. Now here he stood before her, the embodiment of what she knew his heart had really wanted and she felt... well she life perhaps she had told him wrong. 

It wasn't that she wasn't happy for Moonlight. For the colt to have the chance she felt he needed. To be a filly and live it truly and fully. She would be just fine. She was the model of a runway model and she would do well in that direction. But it wasn't like before. It wasn't a colt in filly's clothes. It was a filly in filly's cloths. The honesty in her heart pulsed. This was an accident but perhaps not all that happy of an accident. She felt that she had wronged that colt, by telling he should live as a filly and now here he was doing exactly that. She'd not say a word though. He'd been through enough already no need to add doubt. The deed was done and one could only move forward. 

She moved her hooves underneath her, wondering what the loss of earth connection would feel like. She didn't think she'd like it.

"Wow," She swallowed a bite of turnover. "That's a whole heap to get used to sugar cube. Havin' a horn an' loosin' your earth connection all in one shot!" Again she strayed from the topic of becoming a filly. "Me an' Rares are here for you. We want you to know that." She glanced at the unicorn.

"Indeed darling! If you need anything don't hesitate to ask. Outfits to be tailored, fashion tips, help with your magic," She giggled. "Sounds like you'll be needing my help more than your cousin's!"

They both glanced at Moonlight, hoping she'd be accepting of their support. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Glitterbanner.png

Moonlight smiled weakly at the gentle affirmations of her -former?- cousin and coworker for infinity. She wished it was just that easy! For all of the former colt's life there had been conflict of some sort but never did she feel like she was an intrusive element. But days down in a castle, everypony alternating between support and walking on eggshells around her, it made her almost question what she felt was right. Almost. It was hard to argue that even as the breath felt foreign with every heave of her chest at first that it wasn't quickly gaining its appeal. She knew she was beautiful and she knew that in time she would feel right, physically at least. It was only natural, after all. But she couldn't claim the same regarding how she interacted with everypony else, especially these two.

Hidden in their honest desire to help her, she understood, were the seeds of her new life. Even if it was a life she was sure she would enjoy, that didn't change how it came about. Applejack had very strong opinions about Valen's former lifestyle and what it meant. The genesis of some of Valen's most humiliating experiences involving the CMC and Silver Spoon came at the hooves of Applejack believing earnestly that the baseline of those incidents was founded in truth, that he was really a filly in a colt's body. And as true as that clearly was, that didn't change the fact that she forced this interpretation down Valen's throat to his more than occasional chagrin. Honest, truthful- yes, as she always was. But hurtful? She had been, even if it was all in the name of a good cause.

Rarity was different in some ways, but perhaps had a larger impact. She had been kind and made Valen a dress all those years ago and fed into his lifestyle. She then used it to help generate excellent profits from several fantastic fashion tours nationwide with Gilded Lilly, Prench fashion superstar. While she had never really been as frank and honestly brutal as Applejack had been in her opinions, Rarity had instead worked in a more friendly, consistent, and perhaps more convincing manner. Valen had effectively become a filly long before any magic was used because of her, to the extent that when they did those tours it was with absurd ease. And always to Rarity's great joy. While Applejack saw a finished work that just needed to accept itself, Rarity saw clay to be molded.

In a way, Moonlight should be angry at them. Not at the result since it was clearly what was for the best. But because for years this dance between them had ended only with suffering, humiliation, and heartache for the former colt. The pratfalls and pitfalls of the past and the dangerous lines nearly crossed should have been cause enough, supplemented by the shock nature of what they had planned, to make her angry.

But she wasn't. She loved them both.

Even with their flaws and quirks, just as they had loved her back when she was Valen, the worst flaw and quirk of them all.
"I think, like, I will totally be needing both of you to be all, like, helpful and stuff. Not more than the other though, that wouldn't be totally righteous, right? You both, like, have your strengths and stuff. I'm not sure you could teach me to, like, totally rock the baking stuff like Applejack could,"
Moonlight teased Rarity with a broader, bigger smile as she gave in to her own rising and bubbling positivity.

• Like 1
  • Hearthoof 1

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Inwardly both mares let a sigh of relief escape. Glitter was positive about their olive branch, that was good! AJ and Rares both loved the filly very much and would have done anything for her. 

Applejack was happy to hear the positivity bubbling from the filly! She knew she'd forced things on her in the past. It was of course from the truthful goodness of her own heart but still. She new what had happened in the past and had yet to come to terms with it in herself or with Valen. It almost seemed best to let it lie indefinitely at this point. Some boxes were best left closed. But there was a niggle of doubt in the farm mare's heart. She'd have to bring things to light someday. But, not now. Now it was enough for Glitter to deal with the present. Applejack would let the past alone, for now.

Rarity smiled genially at the filly's response. 

"Oh wonderful dear! Yes indeed I can continue to help guide you! I can't help you with baking of course, but I'll keep my eye out for any show I think might be a good direction for you. And of course we can discuss fashion all you want! I'm sure you'll be learning all kinds of fashion at your new school too dear!"

After they had finished their lunch AJ nodded towards Glitter. "Oh! I almost forgot to tell you Rainbow Dash wanted to touch base with you. She's in town today an' she told me you could meet her at the coffee shop you two talked at last time. In about an hour from now. That is if yer interested? She said you'd understand if you'd rather meet another time." 

Glitterbanner.png

They both seemed rather pleased with themselves, though she was ready to attribute it more to the duo being more than a little relieved that she didn't seem to be angry with them. Both held true to their promises to help her. Sure, Rarity was being a little self-serving. These shows weren't really for Moonlight. The previous ones really weren't. Like all models, she was more of a canvass for the artist, the fashion designer, to ply her craft on. It was hidden secret behind all those supermodels that they didn't really acknowledge. The designers behind them were the ones making the real money, the ones making the real magic happen. This didn't mean that she wouldn't be happy to be in a show, mind you. Fashion was her growing love and passion and she enjoyed strutting her stuff but she did so with the knowledge she was Rarity's canvass at heart. "Fashion shows are totally my jam. Like, you know that! No doubt we'll party it up together soon, right?" She said with a confident smile. If there was one very distinct advantage now it was that Moonlight could participate in these afterparties in a way that Valen never could.

Applejack seemed less than entirely comfortable, even after her visible exhale. She had to feel a little apprehensive about this change. A little worried, concerned, even second-guessing herself. That mare was so eager to please that she sometimes lost track of what it was that really mattered to her until it was almost too late- or simply too late, period. She wasn't going to let Applejack off easily. Even though the mare was absolutely correct, even if her honesty was an important part in this particular butterfly's development, that didn't mean that the process to get there wasn't rockier than it needed to be because of her. There were tears shed and sleepless nights and a host of embarrassments that she wasn't so keen on forgiving until she had heard Applejack run down the other culprits of her sorrows. But for now, she wouldn't excoriate her. "Oh, Dash wants to see me? I wonder what, like, she could want from me?" She played dumb. She wasn't gonna reveal anything rainbow didn't want revealed because, ya know, she didn't roll like that. "I'll totally go see her like, right away. Then she can be like, 'Oh Moonlight your tail is sooo pretty', and I can be like, 'well, duh. Try to get some color in there!'" She snorted at her own joke. "No, see? Color. She's rainbow...like, come on. That was funny!"

She sighed.

She walked to the door. "Alright, I'm gonna go and, like, see what Rainbow could want. Have a totally bitchin' day!" She said with a wave before trotting out of the Boutique and towards where Rainbow had been waiting for her.

• Apple 1

• 3 weeks later...

image.jpeg

Rainbow leaned back in her chair, toying with a spoon that was resting in a mug of steaming tea. She didn't really feel like drinking it, but it was nice to have something to be distracted by. She glanced this way and that, taking in the few other ponies that were in there. Mostly students studying with a smattering of business ponies on break, or regular randoms. She didn't really dig the coffee shop all that much. It wasn't really her scene. But it was the place she'd last met Valen and she figured it would be a location easy to relay.

She knew she'd feel better if she talked with Moonlight. Sure she hadn't seen the filly yet but once she did it would help...right? She was so mixed up with her own feelings. Rainbow had desires she dared not share with any other pony. She had an image to maintain. She was an athlete, a star, a legend really. And she was a mare. Don't forget that part. Nope. She wasn't going to stick to the scirpt. There was too much at risk...plus though she could hardly admit it to herself...she didn't have the courage.

Rainbow scowled down towards her tea, her eyes narrowing in frustration. Why couldn't things just be easy to figure out. Life was such a tangled jumble and she really didn't have the time for any of it. Speaking of time... yep, if Moonlight was going to show it would be soon. She calmed her beating heart and took a breath. Nothing to get all worked up about. And then the bells above the door jingled and in walked a pink unicorn filly.

"Hi Moonlight!" She waved her hoof from across the way. "Over here!"

Great! She'd shown up! Now RD would have to talk her way though this...no biggie...ha!

"Great to uh," She glanced over the pretty frame of the young mare. "Great to see you! You want a drink? Here take a seat!" So many words so fast...how obvious did she need to be that she was nervous. She found herself instantly wanting Moonlight to be ok with her. Sure she hadn't pushed anything before, in fact she didn't even know what she'd relayed to Valen on their last talk. She was as confused as he'd been...not much had changed. 

"So! AJ said she was going to see you today, you have a nice time over there?"

It wasn't exactly normal conversation but hay, it was a start!

• Like 1

Glitterbanner.png

Moonlight's walk to the shop was uneventful, though she was mindful now more than ever of the changes to her body. She moved with more pep and certainly a degree or three more grace than even back in her Gilded Lilly days, though it was hard to attribute this to more than her extra mindfulness. Others seemed to pay her more heed. The looks and thoughts that she knew lived behind them should have made her embarrassed but- well, that would be a lie. In a certain way she rather liked it. The attention, finally, was reserved simply not for her when she worked her magic as a model upon the stage. That felt pretty good. The wind on her, the way she bobbed as she moved. She had to admit it was all very spectacular, even if she also knew it wasn't her doing. Still, who would look a gift horse in the mouth? Or in this case, a gift Alicorn Princess of Equestria? Certainly not the head bobbing filly who looked all the parts of a pony who wasn't pre-occupied with thoughts of identity at the moment. Nope, not her at all!

It didn't take long for her to find the coffee shop. After all, it seemed to be Rainbow Dash's favorite place to have conversations that made her uncomfortable. For the life of Glitter she didn't understand why the pegasus didn't want a more private location for these affairs. Why not her house? Sweet Apple Acres' fields? A picnic alone on a hill? So many better places than in a possibly crowded coffee shop in the middle of town. Moonlight was still dealing with the aftereffects of her brain being partially scrambled and she could piece together the pieces of a better plan this. Oh well. It wasn't her call to make. She was here to help Rainbow through whatever fresh identity horror she thrust on herself. After all, as had been rather aptly displayed through the opinions and actions of others, you were or you were not. There was no room for interpretation and examination, only action. Just ask Twilight. Just ask Applejack. Just ask Rarity.

Moonlight entered and quickly found Rainbow, trotting her way over and taking a seat. Rainbow launched immediately into some topics, though her nervousness was playing havoc on her. Again. Uggh, like, get a grip! Moonlight did want something to drink, and spoke just as a waiter approached. "Sparkling water. If, like, you could put just the tiniest scoche of lemon in it too that would be totally radical," she said with a smile, the waiter eagerly taking the order and leaving. The topic came to Moonlight after Rainbow's excited, too eager, and awkward start. "Good to see you too, Rainbow. It's been so totally uncool so far, so weird and, like, oddly super confusing and stuff. Whatever though, right? I'll get over it. But, uhh, I'm guessing you, like, came over while I was out after the spell, right? 'Cause you didn't seem to be surprised by new bod. Like, not at all. So, why'd you come over while I was out of it, right? To visit me or to be all like, 'hey Twilight what spell did you cast did it hurt can you do it again'? I bet it's the latter. It's totally the latter, isn't it?"

• Apple 1

image.jpeg

Rainbow was taking a sip of her tea and nearly sip it out at Moonlight's last comment. Can you do it again? Ah geez, was she that transparent? The mare glanced around, feeling like the walls of the shop were closing in around her. She had to get a grip on herself! This didn't have to be awkward. She wanted to support Moonlight and be her friend. She'd need to get it together and quick if that was going to be the case.

"Ha ha!" The pegasus gave a forced grin. "Well I did want to make sure you were ok and stuff. But yeah, I can't lie, the spell itself was pretty dang intriguing!" She'd made sure not to give Moonlight the once over with her eyes but now she felt herself aching to do so. Nope. Not going there. 

"Sorry to hear it hasn't been cool for you," Rainbow picked up her tea and tried another sip as the waiter brought Moonlight her lemon sparkling water. "I'm sure it has been confusing too. That's like a major change." Understatement she knew but hey, if she kept talking hopefully things would get to be less awkward. "But yeah, you'll get used to it pretty quickly."

After a few minutes and a few sips of their drinks Rainbow let out a breath. "So, uh, you feel like walking around? I thought we'd meet here because it would be easy for AJ to relay the location but I'm totally up for a walk if you are?" Walking and talking would be way less awkward she felt. "We could go out by the big pond. I haven't been there in a while."

Glitterbanner.png

"A Major change? Girl, you don't know a quarter of it," she rolled her eyes as she drank deep from her water. "It was one thing to wake up in this totally rockin' body, ya know? I mean, like, okay I'm really kinda angry that everypony seemed to know what was going on and lied to me, but whatever. I won't get my mind all grody about it," she said with an annoyed laugh as she put the water down. She was totally fine with the outcome of course, but the route they had taken to get there? That was something she was gonna have to spend some time forgiving in its entirety. She would for sure, but time was needed. At least for part of it. She oped they all understood it, and screw those who didn't.

"But a unicorn? And not even, like, similar name to my old one? Gag me with a spoon!" She said with frustration, throwing her hooves up to touch her horn. She poked herself instead. "Ouch!" She growled. "Uggh, stupid horn. I'm still getting used to, like, the way it feels. I mean I totally got to be all feminine and hot before all this started up but, like, this? Whatever girl, this is the real deal. This body is so totally new in every way. The way I, like, feel the magic around us is so different, like oh my Celestia. Everything is strange and new, from like the way I feel myself breath to when I blink to- uggh," she sighed, then smiled, "of course it isn't bad. It's totally bitchin' in some ways. But so new. So strange. And not really applicable to you, Rainbow." 

She finished quickly and followed up even quicker.
"Yep! Let's go for a walk!"

image.jpeg

Her reaction was expected of course. They uh... well, they hadn't really gone about this whole thing the right way. The six might have been the saviors of all Equestria but they were far from perfect! Case in point, the beautiful pink unicorn sitting across from her. She listened as Moonlight let some of her frustrations vent, knowing there must have been a ton more than that behind those lovely eyes. She was actually pretty surprised Moonlight was taking this with as much grace as she was. Rainbow knew she wouldn't have had the same poise if this had happened to her... though she might have been happy with the outcome. 

As they stood to walk, RD dropped a few bits on the table and mad her way out. It felt waaaaay better outside. Space, cool air, it was refreshing. She made her way down the road, intent on making her way out of town and into the countryside. She flexed her wings absently.

"You know I hadn't really thought about the shift in magic," She flapped her wings a little. "No way I'd want to switch out my pegasus powers for anything else!" She glanced at Moonlight's horn. "You uh, get any tips from Rares yet on using that thing?" She had noticed the allsource but being a pegasus she didn't really know what it was for. She'd seen fillies in her younger days wearing them but not much on anypony older. "Yeah, I guess it doesn't really apply to be as I'm not a unicorn...buuut I do get the magic part as it relates to the tribes." 

She found herself wanting to find a way she could help Moonlight. Celestia knew she'd need it! "So, you starting school soon? AJ told me Rares was fitting you for uniforms."

• Like 1

Glitterbanner.png

Rainbow was calming down a little. Maybe it was the realization that in the long run everything would be okay. Maybe it was in the realization that the short term future was still unchanged and would remain so until it became the long term, though Moon doubted it. In all likelihood, she was still trying to deflect. Why bring her out and about if she didn't want to talk about her own issues? Rainbow was nice and all but she had only really taken an interest in who Moony used to be when there was that aroma of the unusual. She'd dig it out of the pegasus eventually. She didn't have anything to lose and everything to gain.

"Yeah. Like, nopony ever told me but I guess it isn't, like, all that common but I totally lost my Earth pony senses and magic. Whatever, right? I'll get used to this," she said as she started to walk, again. She wouldn't say so publicly but she was getting sick and tired of all this walking around today. She was just out of several days of writhing and changing and now her muscles were burning. Maybe it would give her killer curves? She could only hope, because the adult ponies in this town really loved to walk and talk every ten seconds.

Speaking of adult ponies, Rainbow brought up Rarity. How did she know about that? Gosh, was Rarity just talking up her plans for the filly when she was magically knocked out for a few days. Yeah, that seemed about right. "Rarity showed me some totally bangin' outfits. The school is going to be so much more presentable, like oh my Celestia I'm going to walk down the hall and everypony will be all like, 'woah, that hottie is so woke right now', and then I'll be all like, 'Tcha, like, follow my lead and we'll make you all, like, presentable for once'," she ended with a giggle. She was gonna look like a bowl of ice cream at the end of a hot day and she knew she would like that.

But back to Rainbow. "Oh sweetie, I wasn't talking about, like, being a unicorn," she started gently as they walked in town, blissfully alone for a few moments with nopony in sight.
"I was talking about, ya know, like, your...identity issues, yeah?"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpeg

RD walked on, lulled by the cadence of Moony's way of speaking. What the hay was in Twilight's spell to bring on the full force of the valley filly? Whatever it had been, Rainbow didn't complain. Moonlight was fun to listen to with her like totally bangin' vocabulary! The sun was shining but is wasn't too hot heck, there were even birds singing in the trees without Fluttershy's encouragement! It was a perfect afternoon...until...

I was talking about, ya know, like, your...identity issues, yeah?

Rainbow stopped in her tracks, her mouth hanging open for just a moment. She raised her brows, her heart picking up to a rapid tempo. Just like that her softest of spots had been poked! She could feel sweat bead on her forehead and thanked Celestia that her forelocks would hid it. She hadn't really thought about what she'd revealed to Moony on their last meeting. It seemed in some ways like she was talking to a totally different pony, that Valen wasn't a part of this. But he was. 

"Oh uhhh," She kicked a pebble on the path and swallowed as she walked on. "that." She hadn't talked to any pony about this. Could she really trust this filly? She was young, and dealing with a ton of her own issues. How did Dash know Moony wouldn't tell anypony? RD hadn't even told her own fiance about her issues for crying in the night! But here it was, her chance to lay the truth on the table in front of somepony. Maybe it would be alright...to share her dreams and well, her nightmares with this filly? She wasn't sure but before she could thin further, words were tumbling forth. 

"I-i guess that's why I wanted to talk with you," She glanced over at Moonlight. "I-i mean aside from making sure you were ok and finding out if here's anything I could do for you. To see what it's like. Like, if you had a choice would you have chosen this? Not that I'd want to actually change into a stallion. Just maybe that I wanted to act like one? What would you have done Valen? If you had had the choice? Did you really want to be filly or was it just more fun to pretend when the time was right? I mean, if your answer has changed from before. When we talked before."

A geez, what had she just said...asked...told? Horse apples, she was already regretting anything slip out...if AJ knew...would she not want her anymore? That what RD really wanted to know, but what she was scared to death to find out. 

She let out a breath. "What did you feel like around other ponies when you were pretending to be a filly? What do you think..." She glanced up. "others would think of me? I think I should just keep it all to myself. Not that I really want to go out on the town as a stallion or anything. Maybe just dress like one sometimes, at home."

Ok, so that all just happened. There was no going back now.

• Like 1

Glitterbanner.png

Moonlight rolled her eyes at Rainbow, though not really meaning it to be unfriendly. The are simply thought too much and felt too little, a strange misstep considering nopony would confuse her for a thinker rather than a doer. As she trotted next to Rainbow she would try her best to be as helpful as she could be, though a little bitchiness had to come out. "Listen sweetie, if you're asking me whether, like, I would want my friends to totally lie to me, trick me, and then, like, make big life decisions for me without asking, then you need to be a little more woke," She eyed Rainbow up and then sighed.
"Sorry, totally don't mean to be rude. That would be so uncool of me, plus uncouth, and I am so very couth. Just ask Twilight, like, it was her spell. And Rarity- she seemed totally jazzed about this whole thing," she added with a huff. 

Of course, it wasn't all bad. "Not that I'm not totally excited. I mean really, have you seen me? Filly, I know what I am. I feel like a million bits," she said as she posed to show off her curves. It went great until she nearly stabbed a nearby wall with her horn. She pulled back in frustration, holding her horn. "Except for this flipping thing. I could do without it, but whatever. You have to, like, learn to deal with stuff in life you don't like," she said pointedly before continuing to trot alongside Rainbow.

"But you asked me if I would choose this? Yeah, I totally would," she said, her voice having far more conviction than she felt and it wasn't entirely her own doing. "I wasn't sneaking around all gauche-like having fun with clothes for the sake of it beforehand, right? Clearly all of you had better way better insight into me than I do. And maybe I can, like, do the same for you," she said as she turned to the mare, stepping as close as she could and invading all of the private space.

"Rainbow, I don't think you wanna be a stallion. If you had totally wanted to be a stallion, you would have, like, done so by now. Your parents would totally support practically anything you would ever do and you have, like, the world's greatest friends, quantifiably so, totally. Right?" She asked gently. Then she finished it.

"As for dressing like one, maybe you should stop bitching out if you want to give it a go and totally, like, just do it one day. I doubt Applejack'd care at all, but whatever, what do I know? But then you gotta ask yourself, like, why you're even bothering dressing that way. Is it totally about comfort? Style? Or, like, the way fabrics move against you? Or is it, like, totally just a way to set yourself apart?"

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpeg

Whoa there! It seemed like the gender change had brought about some personality changes as well! She was a bit blown back by Moon's initial response. But what had she really been expecting? Moon was right! The way things had happened had been nothing short of terrible and just look at how she had responded. Instead of getting even more frustrated or whatever Moonlight was owning her transformation! It was clear in her response that she had no regrets about what had happened...just how it had happened. 

As they trotted on Rainbow became acutely aware that any semblance of student/teacher had been flipped on its head. Moonlight gave her pretty much the best and most forthright advice she ever could have asked for on the subject. Her questions at the end peeking her interest.

"I just get this...um..." She blushed slightly. "I guess you could call it a 'rush' when I dress like a stallion. It makes me feel really good." She looked away. "It also makes me feel like I'm not being true to myself. But I think you're right. AJ wouldn't care and my parents," The thought of parents dropped her stomach. Not really what she wanted to be talking about. Yeah they were supportive and great and all. She just didn't like to think about anything related to the way she felt about cross dressing with her parents. "My parents would support me if I decided to open  mayonnaise and lemonade shop in Canterlot!" Two things RD was not fond of. 

There was a certain suit in the closet at the farm house. Rainbow mentally decided she'd try that out for Applejack that night. What was the worst that could happen? She'd worn a suit to the Guard ball when she'd proposed, that one had been cut for a mare but still... maybe it would turn out to be fun!

They made it to the pond and RD sighed. Things used to be so much simpler. She remembered sitting back on a float and sunning herself in the middle of the still waters. Not a care, not a worry. Lots of life had happened since those days. 

"For what it's worth, if I haven't said it before," She looked at Moonlight. "I'm sorry about how this all happened. Glad you're totally down with the outcome, but how it all happened," She looked away. "Yeah, not cool."

She felt weird. She felt like it was Moonlight who was the 'adult' here. Well, it was what it was. RD was ready to try for a friendship out of this. She had seen Moonlight in class the other day and couldn't help but ask...

"Sooooo, you excited for school to start? I've been planning lots of awesome lessons for my classes! I have a first year period of Loyalty, I wonder if you'll be in there."

She gave a little wink and tried to relax back into the Rainbow Dash she usually was. 

• Like 1