Homes where the world leaves you (private)

Dusty

Out of the way, snuggled up between mountains and deep in a dark ‘haunted’ forest that was mostly untouched?  most that visit just want to run about in old buildings and stay out of the way? The more Tempest learned about the town of Hollow Shades the more she liked the sound of it. And it was pretty close Canterlot and Ponyvill! At least by her standards. She's traveled far longer paths on hoof so the hoof travel was not bad. So, wanting to see the place for herself she planned a trip and set off it. 

“And stay down…” Tempest mutters, her horn sparking in the rain as she kicked a charred chunk of wood. Looking up in to the dark woods she smiles seeing shapes backing away, running off in to the void. Timberwolves where easy to scare away if one knew how. Well the Timberwolf she lit up was not down for good, being set on fire like that was going too keep it playing dead for a time. “Two packs in one night… I like this forest.” she remarked with a smirk, heading back to her tent with one last kick to the smoking Timberwolf.

Two days later she was in the town. Well it was cute and themed to look all old and spooky but she was not here for that. All she needed in town was some goods and to ask the Mayor on where she was legally allowed to camp. After setting up her camping site for a longer stay over she sat off her real aim… Checking out the less traveled paths. She picked up a few maps and travel brochures in the town and used them to tell her where not to go.

She had to travel a good ways out to get away from the tourist spots and off deeper in to the woods. But the payoff was well worth it… Uncovering an old manor. Not on the maps or brochures, just what she wanted to find. With a flair of her horn the old rusted gates are ripped open, ancient iron glowing hot as she parted them and walked on in to the manors long forgotten courtyard. Untouched and beautiful… Or was it? beautiful yes, but not untouched. Her sharp eye spotted hoof prints in the overgrown grass and dirt. Fresh it seems. Maybe a local vistes here? Easy to see why. 

Looking up at the towering old manor she just rollers her soldiers and pushed on ahead to explore deeper.

• Like 1

UgG0rQs.jpg

There was some dulcet, yet haunting melody in the air as Tempest followed those hoofprints. It was being hummed by some feminine voice in a not far off corner of the courtyard. Some spots of violet perked up among many washed out colors of grey and green in the garden. The plants in the ground seemed odd, they were alive but didn't carry the vibrant greens that living specimens. It almost seemed as if they looked withered and decayed to camouflage themselves in this dour land. A field of grassy blades stood tall as spears in a thicket, brushing against tempest as she came to the source of the prints. Singing soon replaced the humming, a steady beat carried by the sound of water meeting leaves.

"...Out the shadows whisper through the~
Twisted Corners... Waiting silently, for hours~

Watching every... Move and shiver, with Eyes that glitter..." 

Then came a tired yawn as a drowsy looking earth pony emptied her watering can on the thirsty shrubs.  "Well, That's all done." She said to herself before turning around to see the mare staring back at her, "Huh... Are you alive?" Asked the pale pony as she  rubbed some sleep from her eyes, "I've just gotten up from a long nap and... this early it can be hard to tell. If so... how did you get through the gate?"

• Like 1

Tempest leaned her head to the side as she found the local. A mare… A pretty one at that, not menmy mares dress like that… She liked it honestly, when she was young, that's what she wanted too dress like. She has a pretty voice as well… Tempest lifted a hoof up and was about to speak up when the mare turned around and spotted Tempest and thankfully did not yell in shock. She was very relaxed about it… making Tempest wonder if she knew Tempest was there all along. 

“Last I checked I was alive, despite everything” Tempest says back. “Hopefully I am not disturbing you from that nap, came out here to explore off the beaten path. I care not for all the tourist traps. All they do is tell me where some peace and quiet is.” She added chuckling before looking over her back to where she came from. “I hope you don’t own this place… I ripped the gate off its hinges” She added before looking back at the pretty mare… Her eyes were gorgeous. “I can leave if you wish, I did not come here to bug some locals."

• Like 1

UgG0rQs.jpg

Foxglove stifled a yawn and then looked out her visitor with a smile. "No no..." She stretched in place before approaching the unicorn, "Like I said I just woke up not long ago, so you're not disturbing me at all. I may value my privacy... but it's nice to get a visitor once in a while. Especially one who isn't an overzealous fan."  She said extending her hoof to Tempest.

When her visitor glanced back at the gate, Foxglove followed the unicorn's gaze. "Oh goodness..." Her eyes jolted wide open when she got a look at the still glowing remnants of the front gate.  Soon though a smile came up after, "I love it! It looks so... ominous now. Like some mighty creature strode their way through. It's like a scene from my first story!" Looking back to Tempest she shook her head, "I'd love for you to stay. I'm sure a lot has gone on since I retreated here to start writing again. I'm sure my social skills could use some ... reinvigoration."

The pale horse dipped brushed a strand of her mane out of her eyes, "I'm Foxglove. Whom do I have the pleasure of meeting?"

• Like 1

Tempest let out a small snort as pulled a hoof up to shake the other mares. “I am not the best mare for helping one regrain social skills as I hardly have such skills to share.” She remarked with a glance at the gate. “And… that is fitting for what I did. I like to view myself as mighty…” She then looked back at the pretty mare as she gives a name. “I’m Tempest Shadow, a name most know well but take more pride in meeting one that did not.” She says back with a smile.

“And you are a writer? That is what it sounds like… I don’t think I have had the pleasure of reading a book from you sadly. Well I enjoy reading I have not much time in my life for it… Do hope to change that in truth. Why I am this way, seaking someplace more… removed. It seems I am on a good path as it sounded like you wanted to do the same to work?” She says looking up at the old building. “Love to own a place like this in truth…”

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

UgG0rQs.jpg

Foxglove smiled as Tempest looked back to her home. It had a worn down but sturdy look to it. It had some local history and spooky stories attached to it, but Foxglove confirmed for herself there was no horror lurking these halls. Well, unless you were scared of dust bunnies and the occasional creak in the night.  "Well, since It has been so long since I've had company... and nopony really wants to come so far out here."  Foxglove gestured to her home's front door, "Would you like to stay a while and look around? I've never given a tour before."

" To answer your question though, I am a writer. A fairly competent one... I mostly write horror, dark and gothic fantasies." She didn't like to toot her own horn. If Her friend wanted to get a feel from her work she did have a few manuscripts laying around in her study, "...and if you're looking for 'removed' it doesn't get further removed from Pony civilization as this."

Indeed it didn't.  Hollow shades was an old and ominous place. While not as dangerous as Everfree, it held a dastardly reputation as Equestria's most haunted spot.  Long ago some very special trees grew here. An industrious pony of the past harvested them down to next to nothing and since then, this swathe of land produced tale after tale of horror stories and ominous folktales. Perhaps it wouldn't be one day, thanks to the efforts of a certain driven unicorn named Moondancer. Since that little party saved this author's life, foxglove had taken care of the Lumi tree in a special room in her manor. 

"I have a very important duty to take care of here now and again, so sadly I won't be selling it anytime soon."

Edited by Pretzelparty
  • Like 2

“Well, I can be the first one to get a tour.” Tempest remarked well looking at the old doors of the manor and moved to them. “A writer? Well forgive me for not knowing of the work you do. I have not had much time to read in my life. A shame as I do enjoy it. Well have to make a note to look for some of the books you made… they sound like what I’d enjoy.” She added with a look at Foxglove, her eyes lingering on the mare for a few moments before looking away. 

“You own this place?” Tempest asked with blink of shock, than looking off at the gates she ripped open… woops. “Uh, sorry for the gates I did not know… I’d pay for new ones buy uh… Well I don’t got much bits to my name for gates, let alone a home as big as this. A mare can dream but that's about all I can do for such a home.” She explained. “End up in some trailer or something. But that sounds fine to me, spend most of my time outside.”

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

UgG0rQs.jpg

Foxglove chuckled warmly at Tempest's quick apology, "I can't hold ill will against somepony just because they haven't read my work. But if you like I've some copies in my study. if you'd like to get a glimpse... but for now I think a tour sounds lovely." 

With a chuckle she would looked back again to the gates, "No need to keep apologizing. Personally I love the change... it just makes it looked more ominous!" She smiled as she stepped a bit closer towards the gate and then back to her guest.  HEaring her say how she spent a lot of her time outside, the image of Tempest out alone during rainy nights made the author shudder. "Well... let's get you inside then. You must be tired if you've been walking on hoof all the way here." Foxglove gestured for her friend to follow along to the front door of the manor.  The earth pony pushed open one of the doors, revealing the Foyer. 

It was an elegant looking hall, if a tad dusty and worn. It seemed to be sturdy, but the wear from the elements and old age was easy to see. The lamps around the walls and in the doorway seemed to give off some faint blue glow that gave a serene aura. 

• Like 1

“Well if you say so.” Tempest says back with one more glance at broken gates before following Foxglove inside. “And I’m not tired the walk was pretty short for me. Not trying to brag about it, I just walk all over. Even to other cities. Enjoy it more than trains or airships. You miss a lot on them that you gain by walking. Found so many wonderful camping spots thanks to it.” She remarked looking about the hold building as they walked inside. It struck her as odd seeing it looking so old and run down. And dusty. Foxglove lived her did she not? 

“This place looks pretty old. But the roof is working so not too bad.” Tempest says looking up. “You ever poke about in really old places? Like than big stone forts? It's so… Cool? It makes me wonder about things. How many hooves walked the floors before me. What did it look like all them years ago. In a way it's like traveling back in time… Maybe it's just me wishing I lived back then. An age more befitting a mare like me.” She looked down at Foxglove. “You must enjoy old things, living in a place like this.”

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

"Oh it's a very old house...  built when ponies first tried settling here and then left when things got all spooky." She said leading her friend down the hall, "I really should get in the habit of dusting when I wake up. Especially with company over. Not allergic are you?"  The pale pony took a turn down on of the halls lined with lamps. One could still see some small motes of dust floating in the low light. 

Tempest's question about old places brought a grin to Foxglove's face, "Do I poke around old places? I -always- poke around old places!" She smiled back at her guest, "The stone forts are honestly some of the best places to explore. Have you ever been to some of the old castles and ruins in Fet loch? Those are chock full of history of old ponies engaging in contests of strength and great battles." The ghostly mare seemed almost giddy as she went on, only stopping once she arrived in front of a pair of large doors with an old sign by them. "I can understand wishing to live in the past... sometimes I think if I'd lived back then I'd have been some mysterious druid or enchantress. I still seem to scare ponies sometimes, but I've grown used to it-- oh! This is the library." 

The pony pushed open the doors to reveal a sizeable collection of books upon many shelves. Nothing quite that cook hold a candle to the libraries in Canterlot and Trottingham, but still an impressive collection. Many of the tomes looked old, but well cared for. The shelf with the least dust on it seemed to carry many books on alchemical and potion brewing ways of ponies from the bayou and even some translations of Unyasian literature of the same topic. Other shelves had collections of poetry and historical accounts from all across Equestria, "I spend a good deal of time here when I'm around."

• Like 1