Light As Air (Closed: Foxxy)

SteelEagle

image.pngimage.png

Applejack looked slightly abashed as Rarity presented an excellent plan that left her out completely. But then she realized how right her lovely mare was! Not only had she already been a mark, but she was pretty much the worst actor of all time. All that honesty didn't help much with covert operations and she'd hate to ruin such a perfect scheme.

"That a tight plan miss Rarity!" Gridlock looked on at the fashionista with admiration. He'd certainly gotten more than he bargained for in asking for their help. Rarity did have experience in this sort of thing, he could tell. "So you two will pretend to have a little fall out. Then miss Rarity you bait the culprit and I'll do the bagging at the end!" He nodded. "I like it!" He glanced at the position of the sun. "We've got time to prep. I'll see you at the gala, though you might not see me. Miss Rarity? Might I ask they you wear a gem tonight? A purple gem, as large as you have. If you have that color that is."

---

"I guess it is best that I'm not really a part o' the plan huh?" Applejack spoke mused over the matter as they made their way to their cabin to get ready for the gala. "I'll have an eye on you of course. Cause if anything goes wrong and I have to protect you," She blushed, knowing Rarity was quite capable of taking care of herself. AJ was overly protective of her marefriend thought. It was only natural. "I'll buck anypony off the ship if they try to mess with you."

As they entered the cabin she glanced slyly toward her mare. "All this detective work gets you excited don't it Rares?" She leaned in and planted a kiss on Rarity's muzzle. "I hope I can play my part and keep up with you tonight."

• Like 1

8XeOsHy.png

"Detective, the question isn't if I have the right gem for the job. The question is, which excessively large purple gem should I use?"

Rarity was not going to be overwhelmed by the moment. No, she relished this time in the limelight. But even the star player recognized that she was little more than the window dressing, and that the real work lay with others. They made their way back to their room, and Rarity immediately set about finding the right dress. As she did, she had to give a gentle giggle in response. "Oh, I do. Shadow Spade is my favorite fictional character of all! The sophistication, the style, the mystery, the attention to detail. Why, it practically screams RARITY!" She said as she gave a twirl, one hoof outstretched. Then she sighed. "Sad that Miss Coloratura's attempted projection show didn't get off the ground. I was so excited to play the role. I suppose this will have to do!"

She rifled through he clothes, assembling the right outfit piece by piece. She wasn't done with her mare, however. "Oh Applejack, you aren't being kept to the side. Indeed, you play a unique and very important role in the entire plot. Without you everything will crumble," she said desperately. Where was that hat...ahh, there!

"We need to have a believable fight. Something that will certainly catch their attention and sideline you in their eyes," she added as she started to apply her makeup. Not too heavy. Had to look a little rushed, to boot. After a few more minutes she felt ready, trotting out to meet Applejack once more.

"How does this look?" Rarity asked, not that she needed to know the answer. It was quite obvious se looked absolutely divine. And talk about that lighting!
"This gem should work. Now come on, your time to shine up for this night's...activities."

• Hearthoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

image.png

Applejack's jaw pretty much hit the deck when she spied her lovely mare. Of all the outfits the unicorn chose, her favorite of all was the Shadow Spade look! She couldn't help but let her heart beat a little faster as she thought of the charade they were about to play. Sure she would rather just stay but Rarity's side all evening but they had their parts to play!

"Wowza darlin'!" She trotted over and gave Rarity a light kiss on the cheek. She'd learned that kissing Rarity right after she'd finished her makeup was a no no. "You look really really nice!" She blushed. "Ta think I'm the mare that get's to stand by yer side...well," She rubbed her hoof over her elbow. "Maybe not tonight."

Applejack had done her best to get ready for the gala. A green satin number that matched her eyes, mane and tail brushed to a shine, a lace edged deep green bandanna tied around her neck. She had made sure to pick out on outfit that Rarity had approved of. "I hope I look the part fer the gala!"

She glanced at Rarity again and tapped her muzzle in thought. "So, uh..." She raised a brow. "What do ya reckon we should be fighting about?" She laughed. "I could be stubborn on somethin'...that wouldn't be too far off from normal," 

• Like 1

8XeOsHy.png

Rarity did enjoy all the flattery her mare gave her but she needed to keep herself composed tonight, so she didn't give herself the luxury of a nice titter. After all, they had to start manufacturing some disagreement and disharmony between them. "Oh, don't worry my sweet. It is only one night, and even then, not even. You know what they say comes after a fight between lovers," she said as she gave Applejack a loaded smirk and a wink. "But still, don't try to get too lost in my design. I prefer my Applejack being made of stern stuff, darling," she said as she played with her mane.

The subject of the fight came up. Hmm, what should it be? Indeed, her being stubborn about something would be something easy for Applejack. But it would still require her acting. And Rarity didn't want her mare to have to put on a show when Rarity knew she hated the very idea of lying. It had to be honest. Which meant Rarity had to hurt her mare, even if they both knew Rarity didn't mean it. Rarity sighed in sorrow, her eyes betraying regret. "That could work. I have an idea myself regarding what we will fight about, I think. Just promise not to hate me for my words..." she shook her head. "But before that, your turn to get ready my dear. You have to look the part, after all!"

• 2 weeks later...

image.png

Applejack blushed deeply as Rarity toyed with her mane. It was stuff like that that drove the farm mare plum crazy! She found herself wishing they could just skip the whole thing and get right to the good stuff...buuuut, there was the fact that she wanted her broach back. An' that fact that the detective was counting on them. An' the fact that they were going to help nab a thief! Yep, lots of good stuff! Then after that, there'd be more good stuff her just her and Rarity to enjoy.

She gulped as Rares mentioned her idea on the plan. She had to remember it was going to be just a play. Just an act. Rarity wouldn't really mean the things she would say. It was a lot for the element of honesty to think through but she'd do it. "Right! It's jus' an act! Hi jus' have to keep remindin' myself of that an' everything will be fine!"

AJ dressed herself in a green satin number that complimented her eyes the way Rarity had taught her. This she accompanied with a red bandana around the neck and golden clips in her mane in place of her Stetson. That she'd be leaving behind tonight. She brushed her mane and tail to a shine and then trotted back out to her mare. 

"Alright! Ready!" She turned to see if Rarity would approve. Then her muzzle took on a slight frown. "Hi guess it's time to uh, 'ruin the night'?" She kind of wished they didn't have to do this but, they'd already promised Gridlock they would do their part.

"Lay it on me darlin'."

• Like 1

8XeOsHy.png

Applejack's nerves were on full display but Rarity could forgive her their indiscretions. How could she blamed for having such a reaction when she got to see Rarity in her full splendor, the regalia of the evening on full display? Couple that with all of the night's traumas and movements and rarely could greater cause exist for nerves. She did not let it effect the way she decided to present herself, however. She came out looking quite splendid! The golden clips really accentuated her well done mane and the red bandanna looked fetching around not to mention the superior number she wore that made her eyes dazzle and sparkle in the dark as easily as they did in the sun. "You look marvelous dear. Keep this up and my little Applejack here will be deserving of a sweet treat later, isn't that right?" She said as as she graced Applejack's cheek her with a tender hoof, delivering a kiss to satisfy herself and her mare.

With the two ready, she turned to leave. "Remember my dear. Just a facade, Applejack. React appropriately, though I will be intentionally making some...harsh comments," she said as she led the two down the hall. While doing so she maintained a distant closeness- close enough to suggest the pair were entwined in the night's activities, yet far enough to suggest a note of discontent and disharmony had been struck between the two. as they neared their destination and she walked through the opened doors, she rolled her eyes as if to suggest annoyance and began to speak, her tone marked by a rise and fall in hidden venom.

"Dear, why are you going on and on about that dreary old brooch? I'm sure it will turn up and even if it doesn't, you have to admit it is simply so old fashioned. Out of season! Out of style! Why, you deserve something so much more flattering to compliment you than some dusty old family heirloom. Don't pay another moment of attention to that dirty relic!"

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

image.png

The Element of Honesty tried her darndest not to take what her mare was saying seriously. Dusty old relic? Hadn't Rarity herself given Applejack that broach? If there was something wrong with it that was because of Rarity's tastes not her own. She had loved it because of what it meant. It was a symbol of Rarity's love for her. But no! She wouldn't let this really affect her. She couldn't. That was the plan. She knew she'd have trouble with it though, no matter if she knew there was a plan or not. 

It would have been easier if AJ wasn't a pony that wore her emotions on her sleeve, but she was. Hurt and frustration flashed through her eyes for a brief moment before she regained herself a little. 

"Well, it's not my fault if it's out of style!" She spoke loud enough for a few around to hear them. "You picked it out for me...unless you forgot?" She smirked. "You said it was a symbol of yer feelings for me." She huffed the words as a few more heads turned. 

"I'm gonna go get a drink," She trotted off, leaving Rarity to her own devices for the moment. She kept one eye on her though, as they were here to trap what could be possibly dangerous. 

Gridlock had been in the ballroom for a while. He continued to lean at the bar, sipping a whiskey and surveying the scene from under hooded eyes. The trap had been set, the bait was ready, now where was the fishie?

---

A pair of eyes glittered in the shadows, watching the sparkle of a certain purple gem...

• Like 1

8XeOsHy.png

Well, her mare would get all the marks in the world for a valiant attempt at betraying her inner nature. It was never easy to operate when your entire being rebelled at the mere thought of what you were trying to do, after all. Just ask Rarity: To be anything less than fabulous was an unconscionable crime. Ad for Applejack, anything less than honest was troubling. So it made sense that their stories did not exactly line up. Whether the crooks and thieves who were the targets of the night's sting would catch that she described it as a dusty old family relic and Applejack had said Rarity had purchased it for her was to be decided. Hopefully they were too distracted by her wonderful taste in gems!

And drinks, for that matter.
"I'll have a roasted apple scotch," she said, making sure to buy herself one of the only apple-scented drinks in existence that didn't have the earmark of the Apple family. And she said it loud enough to make sure her paramour heard, as well as anycreature who was paying attention. "Time to have some class, even if sompeponies refuse to have it," she grumbled seemingly to herself, though it was still plenty loud enough for her main objective. "And do make sure to shake it well, bartender. I could do with some distractions tonight," she said with a sultry moan as she played with her gem, allowing it to sparkle in the light.

• 1 month later...

image.png

AJ had heard snatches of what Rarity was saying and they burned her thoroughly. She knew it was a scheme but it still hurt. She could shake her element no matter how had she tried. But she'd have to. She need to buck up! They were in this to catch a crook after all! That made her element shine! Yes, bringing a thief to justice!  Her heart settled a bit at the thought. She had to get her wits together. She and Rarity were a team! They needed to work together and she couldn't spoil the whole thing over being hurt! She still fumed outwardly of course, they had a game to play!

Gridlock watched form the opposite end of the bar. The room was full of the usual sounds of a party. Glasses tinkling, ponies talking softly, laughter erupting every now and again. It was the perfect scene to finally foil his target! Rarity and Applejack were playing it up just right. Some eyes were on one mare, some on the other. It was obvious that Rarity had been left to her own devices. And that gem! Who could resist? It glittered for all the world as Rarity toyed with it.

The eyes in the shadows glittered to match the target! It was perfect! Once he had this one he could call it quits for now! The boss would be happy with this. He'd been part of the crime ring long enough to know what kinds of loot got a dog a firm promotion!

The smallest diamond dog anypony had ever seen crept from behind the curtains. He slunk along the floor, out of sight of all the party goers. The chihuahua made his way to the far end of the bar. Here he crouched, waiting for the pony to let the gem be. Once she did he'd swipe it and be out of there with no pony the wiser...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

8XeOsHy.png

Rarity played her role as well as she could hope to. It was hard being the center of attention for many ponies, but not her. The brighter the light the shinier she felt. But she also knew that there was a difference between making a scene and being well-lit in a social event, and she needed the latter and not the former. She needed to be attractive and an attractive target to hit, not so obviously well-scanned by so many onlookers in the room that she was secured in the public eye. And so she continued her one pony play, muttering into her drinks barely above a whisper (they were eaten up by the noise of the room) and fidgeting with her gem. 

It was not a special gem by any stretch of the imagination. Not special to her, anyway. It was just an item and its beauty, while noteworthy, was unremarkable in the large roster of similar items she could call upon. That didn't mean she found it easy to let it go. She greatly valued beauty and above that she valued the possibilities that lived within each one. Every stone told a beautiful tale and to sully one of them with the lowness of common thievery was disgusting. Nonetheless, she was committed to her role. In time the gem fell further and further away from her attentions until she paid it no heed as far as anycreature around was concerned.

She stopped toying with it and instead struck up a conversation with her neighbor, an elder stallion from Seaddle it turned out- owner of a larger timber company.

How fascinating.

He was here alone, he said, fidgeting as he tried to hide the wedding band on his right hoof from her. When he was younger he ran marathons!

Oh do go on.

Business was booming. Construction was up. He was a very rich stallion, you see.

How interesting. Somepony stop the swooning.

He bragged and puffed his chest out and she entertained his delusions, leaving herself open for theft. Just as the plan called for!