Something More Than Just a Guard (Attn: IceStorm)

PyroBlaze

Ishi sighed in contentment as he sat on a hill under a tree. Shibo was doing his thing in the park, which amounted to a kind of mix between playing and patrolling the area. Ishi smiled as he watched the golem and the other wildlife, glad he could take this break to enjoy nature. He had needed this, and he hoped Nira would join him soon, after whatever it was she was taking care of. Really, he thought of her as more of a friend than a guard, but he understood she had a job to do. He saw plenty of that sort of thing between Sanda and Ryuichi, he knew how it went. 

As his gaze moved towards the sky, he grew more somber, his thoughts drifting towards his mother and wishing she was here for times like this. She could probably help decipher those mares. 

“<Ah, Mother... If only you were still with us...>” He sighed, settling into a more comfortable position as he watched the clouds go by overhead. 

~~~Nira~~~

Life. They way it unfolds sometimes often left those in it's wake to wonder how things managed to fall in such a way. For Nira, she wondered often what would have been had she not been found out by the military of Neighpon. It was true that they had done a lot of good for her in regards to her training and thought process. Her healing abilities were also among some of the best thanks to it. But to what ends? She was a guard, and she was happy that the Royal family thought so highly of her but... There wasn't anything here to guard against. 

At this point, she felt like she was doing very little of what she had been trained in, and her healing abilities being wasted because there was simply nothing to heal other than the occasional bruise. It had left her in thought. Over her time here she had grown more attached to Ishi, but less attached to all three red tape that came with being a bodyguard of the Royal family.

As it stood the worry of her wanting to take it any further in fear of crossing a line and bringing dishonor to her family. It was the other thing that she'd grown to dislike about Neighpon after being so close to the top. Enter generations of families could be punished because of the actions of one individual. She never liked that. She slowly made her way out to the park just outside the family yards and spotted Ishi sitting under the tree with Shibo running around. She rolled her eyes a bit before smiling at him. "How many times most I say that it's dangerous to come out here alone?" She said knowing full well that it wasn't really dangerous at all anymore but she still was what she was.

Ishi had been lost in thought until Nira spoke up, causing him to chuckle at her words and look over at her. “Oh come now, that’s what Shibo is for. And this.” He smiled back, patting the sword he carried with him. He really didn’t use it, but better safe than sorry. 

“Besides, everyone loves me! Who’d want to hurt a pretty face like this?” He added, chuckling again with a wink. “Glad you could make it, you deserve a break as much as I do. Maybe more, really. What kind of friend would I be if I let you overwork yourself? Though I don’t suppose there’s that much for you to do, really...”

Ishi hummed to himself, standing up and walking over to her, looking her over. “How have you been doing recently?”

~~~Nira~~~

Nira rolled her eyes once more as she watched Ishi pat the sword that he carried and said that was what Shibo was for. He also added that he was glad that she could join him out here, and what kind of friend would he be if he let her overwork herself. She couldn't help but chuckle a bit at that. She supposed that it could be worse. She was still paid after all even if there wasn't any sort of danger. She was basically paid to do nothing. When Ishi himself said that there hadn't been much for her to do, she nodded. "I think that might be in the running for understatement of the year," she said as she took a seat next to him.

"That being said, honestly, I've been conflicted. I don't mind being a guard and protecting those I care about, but at the same time... My own strengths and talents... they don't add up anymore. Yes I can stand hoof to hoof with most combatants anymore, but at my core roots I'm a healer. I don't want to stop being a guard... but I want to do more and be able to actually use the abilities that I've been gifted with. Not stand behind these walls and watch as those who might need help suffer. Not to mention other thoughts and Ideas that have been flooding my mind recently... I don't even know how or where to begin that won't possible violate some rule," she said with a long sigh. "For the first time in a long while, I am at a loss. I'm at a cross roads with three different paths and I don't know what lays beyond it."

Ishi listened to Nira speak, nodding along to her words. When she reached the end though, he paused. Three? Did he miss something? He gathered the path of guard/fighter and the path of healer, but what was the third? Perhaps something to do with those other thoughts and ideas she mentioned. Interesting...

”Yes, we really should be doing more for those in need... Perhaps I could help set up a charity or something... You could help if you wished, of course. You know more about healing than I do after all. Whatever you decide to do, you can count on my help.” He said, smiling over at her. “Also, I’m here for you if you want to say anything.”

~~~Nira~~~

"A charity, a clinic, or even my own practice that I can use to give treatment and aid to any that need it. I have all the medical knowledge I need from my life's training, but... I don't know..." she said smiling back at him after hearing him basically giving her permission to do as she pleased in that regard and he would back her. She began to think of what would be the best way to go about it. It wasn't really something that she could bring into the royal homes. the last thing she needed was ponies bringing contaminants in and her clinic getting somepony important sick when others came through.

When he further told her that he was there for her if she wanted to talk about something... her heart fluttered a bit. She stammered a little bit in her speech, which should be the first indication that something was eating at her because of how normally resolute she was. "H...honestly... I don't... know if I could say what I truly want to say... There are so many rules.... on how Royal relationships work.... I can bring dishonor on who knows how many generations for even thinking it..." she said knowing that she really didn't have much say on the matter. Ishi's brother probably already had meetings and relationship possibilities lined up for him already. At this level... love mattered very little in unions... it was all about how the unions benefited the royal family. She doubted that she would be much of a benefit in his brother's eye.

• Like 1

Ishi hummed slightly in thought as he noticed her hesitating in her words. What was it that was holding her back? The social pressures? And ‘Royal relationships’? What did she mean by that? The prince hummed again as he watched her, trying to puzzle out the answers in her words. Eventually, he seemed to realize the silence he was leaving with a sheepish chuckle. 

“I never did agree with that dishonoring the family thing. I believe that the guilty should be punished, but that it should stop there. The father is not guilty of the sins of his son, and vice-versa. At least, not by default...” He tapped his chin in thought as he spoke, looking over at her with another smile. “Anyways, I wouldn’t call having a relationship a punishable offense. Equestria has proven that friendship and love are powerful forces, and I think we could learn some things from them. Don’t get me wrong, I love Neighpon, but some things need to change before we can get even better.”

~~~Nira~~~

"M... Most wouldn't be because the Shogun wouldn't care about a relationship outside the Royal family. Only other Royal families even have a shot at any of his with all others shined for even thinking about it..." Nira replied. "Friendship and love... They agree quite powerful, and they can drive us to do things that we normally wouldn't do to protect someone. Something that I've already been doing for a while... And plan to keep doing longer still. I love my home as much as anypony else... But... Without you it feels empty... Even moreso when I know what I want isn't possible..." she said hanging her head.

Great... Now she'd gone and done it. Short of out right saying she loved him she practically told him everything then and there. She could only hope that he would forgive her and that no pony else would report it. If only she were that lucky. 

Ishi paused at her words, looking over at her in puzzlement. He sat there in stunned silence for a bit as the pieces started falling into place in his mind. Really? He felt like he had seen this before, with Sanda and Ryu, how could he have missed something similar happening right in front of him? He stayed there for perhaps way too long, but he was honestly just so surprised by what he had deduced from her words.

"I... R-really? You like me like that? I had no idea..." He said eventually, blinking in confusion and surprise. "I think... I think I like you too... You've always felt really close, more so than anyone else I know. Well, maybe not, but closer in a different way than my family or friends." Ishi added, tilting Nira's face up gently so they looked at each other.

~~~Nira~~~

Nira sat there in the silence waiting for Ishi's response. It apparently hasn't taken him long to piece together the meaning behind the words that were spoken. Of course, even a small child probably could have pieced together the meaning as blunt as they were. His initial reaction was... About what she was expecting. Shock, surprise, and flabbergasted. 

The words that followed though seemed to both quell her beating heart but also make it spike even more. Did... He really like her as well? The way she l liked him? Was he just saying that to calm her down so that he could deal with it later? No... Ishi wouldn't do that... She felt him lift her face so that they were making eye contact and she could see that the words were genuine. He added that she always felt closer than most, in a different way than family and friends. Her ears folded back a bit. The mare that was usually do resolute was now so nervous that she was sure that even Ishi could feel her heart about to beat out of her chest. "Y... You mean it? I... Is it even allowed....?" she stammered.

Ishi could see how nervous she was, and overall it was just a different side of her. He nodded to Nira’s words, smiling gently at her. 

“Of course I mean it, you know how much I like the truth.” He chuckled a bit before continuing. “I’m the prince, I can love who I want. Besides, in the eyes of others, a high-ranking guard is not a bad choice. Maybe not the best, but there are much worse ones. Personally, I don’t care about that or what other ponies think of us.”

~~~Nira~~~

Any words they Nira could have been thinking, that she could have possibly said left her. A part of her was trying to tell her that non of this was real. That any moment now she'd wake up and the dream would come to an end. It didn't though. Ishi continued, saying that she knew how much he cared for the truth. That he was the prince and he could love who he wants. That he doesn't care what others though and added that in all honesty, he could do a lot worse than one of the best guards on the military. Despite everything she still couldn't say anything... She couldn't bring herself to, agreed that anything she said with diminish the moment. Instead, she simply leaned against him, content to feel the warmth of his body against her.

Ishi hummed as things fell silent between them. That was fine, he wasn’t sure he had anything more to say either. Nothing worth saying and ruining the moment, anyways. For now, he simply enjoyed this, wrapping a foreleg around Nira and hugging her to his side. 

~~~Nira~~~

Nira lost track of how long the silence lasted. Even if it wasn't pure silence. The serene sound of the wind rustling through the trees and the birds singing their songs brought comfort to her. Feeling Ishi's hoof around her, and the wind and sun bathing them in their presence, Nira finally looked up to him. "So... How do we go forward from here? Do we have to get special permissions... or are we just allowed to go on a date... And if we're dating... Does that mean we'd need to find a different body guard? Where would we go?" Nira started asking, the tactician in her starting to come back out.

“I’m not sure about permissions, but I suppose I should tell my family at some point. They may want to assign a different guard to me, I’m not entirely sure what the protocol is among the guards for this sort of situation, plus it sounded like you were thinking of leaving them anyways. As for where to go, and I assume you meant for dates, we can figure that out later. There are many good choices for the location, depends how we feel when the occasion comes up.” Ishi said, humming in thought while his hoof remained around Nira. It was nice, having her against him like this, and he didn’t really want it to stop yet. 

~~~Nira~~~

"I still enjoy being a guard for the most part. It's just there's really been little for me to do as one. So in this time of peace, I feel like it would be better to focus on where my full strength lies for a bit. Besides, I'm sure you'd be happy to have some fun without me nagging you all the time too be careful. I mean, I still would prefer it, but as long as your don't break anything major I can just heal it. That's not an invitation for you to try to use wing magic to fly," Nira said with a smirk. 

When he mentioned that they would have to tell his family. She nodded albeit begrudgingly. "Truthfully I would be lying I said I want worried as to what Ryu's reaction is going to be. After all, I wouldn't be a mare that could strengthen an alliance with anyone else. And honestly I don't know what the protocol is either. They never really taught us what to do if we feel in love with the one we were supposed to be guarding. Either that or I was sick for that class," she giggled lightly.

Ishi chuckled in response to Nira's joke about flying using magic. He wasn't really planning on doing that, and he wasn't even sure how he would go about it. Maybe some kind of glider contraption, using breath magic to keep it aloft... Her next words broke him out of his thoughts and made him look over at her.

"Oh, you can let me worry about convincing Ryu. Besides, we're already the royal family, we can afford to not worry about that sometimes. And I have a feeling they didn't cover that. Or Sanda missed it too." He chuckled, nuzzling her gently.

~~~Nira~~~

Nira nodded when Ishi told her to let him worry about Ryu. That is there was a class that had gone over guard relationships... Sanda had missed it too. She also couldn't help but smile when Ishi laughed at her joke about him trying to fly off a roof. Seriously though... Don't do that... she thought to herself watching some leaves blow across the ground in the wind. 

"So, was there anything you were wanting to do today?" Nira asked. She was content to sit here like this as long as Ishi wanted, but she also want one too stay in one spot for to Long when she wasn't working. Plus it has been a while since the both of them had gotten away for some fun on the day. If anything else, they could sell out potential locations for her clinic. 

"Nothing in particular, no. I just came out here to relax, but we could take a walk if you would rather. Or anything you want to do, really." He smiled over at her, finally letting her go so he could get up and stretch a bit before they went anywhere. "Did you have something in mind, Nira? Maybe scouting locations?" He winked at her, kinda hoping they could to find places to take her on dates while they were out.

~~~Nira~~~

Nira smiled as she listened to Ishi say that really he had come of here to relax. He said that they could go for a walk if they wanted to, and then practically read her mind when he suggest looking for venues for her clinic. "I think that's a splendid idea. A walk sounds great, and if we happen to see anything while out we could take a look," she smiled feeling a bit braver than normal as she leaned up and gave Ishi a small kiss on his cheek before standing up and stretching lightly, a loud pop coming from her back.

Ishi smiled as she responded, nodding at her words. He froze for a moment at the little kiss, chuckling a little as she stood up too. After she popped her back, he pulled her into a brief kiss on the lips before heading off down the road. Shibo, noticing they were leaving, started bounding after him. 

~~~Nira~~~

Ishi's reaction to Nira's kiss kinda caught her off guard. After she popped her back she found him waiting for her and her pulled her into a brief kiss on the lips. They started to make their way out of the park, Shibo running behind them. She smiled and starting walking along side Ishi. "I must admit. It might take some getting used to, and it might take a few reminders every now and then to get me out of guard more when we go on walks like these in the future," she giggled

“Hey, I’ll be here to remind you when you need me.” He smiled at her, nudging her playfully as they walked along. He let the silence take hold after that for a bit, enjoying the sights and simply being around Nira. 

• 2 weeks later...

~~~Nira~~~

Sometimes, life can happen. When it does, it can be one of the worst experiences that you could get dealt, and others it could deal you a Royal flush. For Nira, she'd definite had her fair share of bad hooves. Hooves that she'd their away in a heartbeat for another. She thought back that the relationships that she had in the past, the friends that she's lost growing up because of path her abilities too her on. As the fact that to this day she still had a distinct hated of all pyrotechnics for festive purposes. After seeing first hoof what a rogue firework could do to her sister she'd considered them weapons from there on henceforth upon joining the military. 

Them through all the academies, the basic training, the combat training for being a front line medic, plus the actually academic medical training that she's received as well. All of it leading up to where she was now. She walked beside Ishi and before when they're walk like this, she'd always wonder what if. It felt surreal that as of today... Those what if questions were now reality. She lightly leaned against him as they walked, looking around, keeping an eye out still both for theaters and potential locations for hey own interests.

"So, where should we look for this clinic? Obviously we don't want it to close to the family house to avoid spreading unnecessary illness to the Royal family. However, we don't want it too far away as then it would be easy for a potential enemy of the family to ambush me. As talented as I am... I'm still only one pony," she spoke softly.

“Yes, avoiding unwanted contamination is important, but you’ll probably want it in a somewhat central location if you want to maximize the amount of people you can help. Might also depend on what kind of ponies this is for. Upper class, lower class, stuff like that.” Ishi said, nodding to himself while they walked along. He was enjoying the feeling of her slight lean against him, and he returned the favor lightly. “As for the purposes of security, you could hire some guards if you felt it was necessary. I’ll defer to you on that though, you know what you’re doing there.”