Happy Heartwarming! (Ponyville/OPEN)

Dashman562

The Heartwarming season was always a magical time in Ponyville.  The joy, hopes, dreams, and love spread by family and friends made even the coldest nights light like fire.  A fresh snowfall had turned the town a beautiful white that sparkled under the night sky as many of Ponyville's residents and many students from the School of Friendship gathered in the town square. Cheers and gasps of joy went up as the large tree in the town center lit up in a spectacular display of lights and beauty.

Beneath the tree, standing at a podium together were Mayor Mare and Starlight Glimmer.  Mayor Mare raised a hoof to call for quiet as she nodded happily to the town she had presided over for years.  "Mares, Gentlecolts, and all creatures gathered here tonight.  I wish to formally welcome you all to the Lightning Festival as we prepare to celebrate our most cherished of traditions, Heartswarming Eve!" Mayor Mare said to the throngs of cheering ponies and creatures. 

Mayor Mare waved to the crowd before motioning to Starlight Glimmer who nodded happily to the crowd.  "First I wish to thank our Festival planner and Grand Marshal Starlight Glimmer for all her hard work and planning this years festival.  Please enjoy the evening and for all our fillies and foals.....remember who comes tonight!" she said pointing to a large and styled throne by the large tree.

"SCARLET HOOVES!" a loud and happy cry called out in excitement and happiness from the gathered crowd of young fillies and foals who cheered the name of the mythical Earth Pony of charity and kindness who passed gifts out to all the good fillies and foals on Heatts Warming Eve.  As the shout carried on the wind it flew up to a hill side overlooking Ponyville where two Earth Ponies and a Pegasus currently were.

"Sounds like der gittin ready.  Ah ya'll big bro?" Rocky asked as the young Colt adjusted his scarf and walked over to a large Makshift Sleigh with a large bag of charity gifts in it.  Sitting on the Sleigh, not in the best of moods was his big brother Boulder Dash who was wearing a crimson red cloak around his large body with a white fur trim.  Hos normal blinde mane and tail had been dyed white and a Heartswarming wreath adorned his head like a crown.

"How'd I git talked into dis again? Ah! Derpy would ya be careful wid dat thing?" Boulder Dash asked in annoyance to the Grey pegasus fiddling with a white beard that she was placing on his large muzzle to complete the Scarlet Hooves costume.  Derpy fluttered in front of him as she made his beard straight, looking at him with her unique eyes.

"I think it's because Starlight said you were the only pony in town who could wear the costume and pull it off" Derpy said with a smile as she set the beard right and landed on the Sleigh next to Boulder Dash and hugged his large form.

"There!  You look perfect!  I'd think you really were Scarlet Hooves himself!" Derpy said happily as Boulder Dash grumbled again and scratched at the beard.

"I'm glad ya'll find it funny and great, ah feels like a clown and dis here beard itches more den a blue tick on a blood hound" Boulder Dash griped as he looked down to Ponyville looking for Starlight's signal to get this night over with.

• Like 1

((sorry, but since you didn't specify, and this seems to be a one-off seasonal thread, I'm dragging you into the ATC timeline :P ))

Scootaloo Vector by Kamyk962

Scootaloo

The little filly was sitting not far from the festifivities, though far enough to make it clear she wasn't really taking part. She remembered when she still believed in magical creatures that gave gifts (Well discounting her friends, who were pretty magical themselves) but years ago during a mix-up with her parents being off adventuring during hearthswarming and her aunts not knowing, she learned the hard way about how "real" the creatures were. But she wasn't going to say anything, she did enjoy seeing the younger foals enjoying themselves and getting excited.

Winter Rainbow Dash by CloudyGlow

Rainbow Dash

A familiar voice came up from behind Scootaloo "Hey, kid, why're you over here, you should be celebrating with everypony else"

Scootaloo looked up and sighed "Remember three years ago?"

"...oh... right..." sighed Dash "Well, tell you what, I can make it a little better" she said, sitting down next to the smaller pony

Scootaloo smiled a little, leaning against dash "Thanks, Dash"

"Always have time to spend with my little sis" she said with a wink as she put her wing around scootaloo, waiting for the big celebration to officially start

(Thanks for the response.  Lost two loved ones in the past few months so the Holidays have been rough.  Appreciate it)

As Mayor Mare greeted the crowd and continued her speech, Starligh Glimmer stepped off to the side and raised her horn causing a faint glow to appear like a signal light.  Up on the hill top, Rocky spotted the glow and looked back at his big brother.  "Welp, there's da signal.  Ya'll know what to do bro" he said walking past Boulder Dash and standing behind the sleigh.

"Wha?  No ah don't" Boulder Dash said with worry as he looked down the steep slope.  Derpy however patted his head and flew behind him saying, "Ah just wing it.  The fillies will love you for it." 

She then nodded to Rocky as the young Earth Pony lashed out with his hind legs in a powerful buck and kicked the sleigh down the hill line.  Boulder Dash let out a scream of terror as the sleigh shot down the hill like an out of control rock slide while Derpy sat on the hill top with Rocky waving at Boulder's retreating form.

"Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!" Boulder Dash cried as he flew down the slope at break neck speed.  The sleigh had no control mechanism nor brake so all he could do was to pray to Luna that the snow would slow him down.  The sleigh soon reached the bottom of the hill and shot towards Ponyville.  Ponies left and right stared in shock as the sleigh speed through town and a few docked for cover as the sleigh and its red cloaked rider sped past.

"LOOK OUT! AH GOTS NO INSURANCE!" Boulder Dash screamed as he saw he was coming upon the town sqaure where many ponies had gathered for the celebration.  Many ponies turned and even Mayor Mare stood shocked by the sight barreling towards them.  Starlight gasped and lashed out with her magic stopping the sleigh but not its occupant.

The sleigh bucked coming to a heavy stop just before the crowd and both Boulder Dash and the sack of gifts shot off and flew through the air.  The gift sack landed perfectly safe by the throne under the tree but Boulder Dash screamed as he flew through the air and banged into a massive band drum.

However the drum ricocheted him off and he flew back getting snagged on a banner.  "Yaaaaaaaaahhh!" Boulder Dash cried as he was fired like a Sling Shot back towards the tree.  Mayor Mare ducked for cover as Boulder Dash sailed over her and Starlight cringed as she heard a loud thud indicating Boulder Dash had landed on the throne, upside down with a glazed and confused look on his face.

Most of the crowd, fillies and foals mostly cheered thinking it was all part of the show.  Most of the mares and colts were giggling or laughing at the sight causing Starlight to smile and step up blocking Boulder Dash from view.  "No worries Fillies and Colts.  Scarlet Hooves has arrivedand has just had a little too much eggnog.  He will be up in a second" Starlight said with a smile before turning to Boulder Dash with a look of annoyance and anger.

((hey your still going despite the odds, give yourself some credit. Also I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner, I try to read every "open" thread that pops up but somehow this one flew right under my radar >.<))

Scootaloo was covering her eyes and Dash was facehoofing so hard it was a small miracle she didn't have a concussion

"Are they dead? they're dead arent they?" asked scoots

Dash sighed "Worse - they're still alive... You see, kid, this is exactly why for stunts like this you should get professionals like me instead of.... whoever they are..." she realized she had never met this pony who may well end up dead before the end of the night... though she had to admit, he at-least had his heart in the right place... or it was before that crash, it probably wasn't in the right place anymore, but that's neither here nor there....

Boulder Dash groggily shook his head as he tried to focus, but soon felt himself being lifted up and flipped over by an unseen force that he recognized as magic.  He looked in confusion as he soon came face to muzzle of an angry Starlight Glimmer.  "Get your head out of your plot and start getting into character" she said as she stood up and tightened the wreath on his head.  Groaning in annoyance Boulder Dash grumbled as Starlight fiddled with the Costume.

"Ah didn't even want to do dis!  Can't ya find some other pony fer dis?" he said silently as She gave him another dirty look and jerked the strapped tightly causing him to gasp for air.

"I put a lot of time, effort, and hardship to make this festival perfect for the fillies and colts.  Time, effort, and hardship I can't get back. So you start saying Ho Ho Ho, or start saying Ow Ow Ow....your choice" Starlight said threateningly as she released the strap.

Coughing and getting some air, Boulder Dash looked past her and saw the concerned and pleading looks of all the fillies and colts around him.  Sighing as Starlight stepped away, he took a deep breath and stepped forward before letting out a deep bellowing laugh.  "Ho Ho Ho!  Happy Heartswarming one and all!" he said as opened his legs in a greeting and waved at the crowd.

The fillies and foals cheered happily and started to line up as Boulder Dash sat on the throne.  Starlight stood by happily nodding before urging the young ones meet the bearded Stallion.

Scootaloo shook her head "This is not a good year, I feel sorry for the pony in the costume"

Dash nodded "I hear ya, he's clearly got it rough... though to be honest... I've seen worse years... though the crash at the start... I think that sets a new record"

"Yeah and Starlight really gave him what-for it seems" added scoots

Dash nodded "...wish I'd thought to bring popcorn"

Scootaloo giggled but nodded

• 2 weeks later...

Strong Copper wasn't one for crowds or holiday displays... at least, not this year at any rate. Normally he would have taken the time to go back to Canterlot or visit one of his sister's places for the annual family get together, but he was still unpacking his stuff into his new place in Ponyville and his family understood that he was a little to focused getting himself set up to be able to travel. Winter was really the only time of year that he was able to do such a time consuming practice anyway: It was the time of year were most (through of course, not all) of the big and nasty creatures of the wilds hunkered down for the season and most sane ponies did the same. Sure it wasn't perfect, but it was the closest to an off season that he got and he was going to take advantage of it. 

Of course, his plans to simply enjoy the night tucked up in a chair by the fire and reading a book while enjoying a cup of tea was dashed by the discovery that he was out of tea to enjoy. Thus he had dressed up and gone outside to brave the elements in the somewhat vague hope that there might have been a store still open where he could stock up... as well as get an idea for if there was anypony in Ponyville that really put in the effort when it came to decorating their homes for the holiday to show off when his family came by next year... or even better, scout out a possible contender for the 'wooden spoon' award.

He would have avoided the gathering at the town square altogether if it wasn't for ingrained instinct kicking in. When something that looked like a flying red brick plummeted towards the town square, clearly on an impact course and high pitch screaming filling the air, Copper's mind instantly labeled the object in question as a sudden and dangerous threat and he had galloped towards where he believed it was going to either crash land or touch down on or near a bunch of innocent ponies. With fears that something from the Everfree had not been as asleep as one might have liked and had been lured out by all the shining lights, he sprinted into the square, several spells already in mind to be called up as he looked around quickly to assess the situation...

...Only for it not to be a dangerous situation at all. From the cheering on the foals to the giggles and laughter of the adult ponies, as well as the sled and the slowly being fixed up Scarlet Hooves, Copper paused for a moment as his face was flushed with embarrassment. Not a threat or danger to anypony, just a somewhat risky and comedic entrance. Glancing side to side for a moment to see if anypony had possible seen his charge into the square with intent of a fight, he slowly and shyly started to shuffle backwards to see if he could discreetly make an exit before that changed...