(COMPLETED) No good deed goes unpunished... (Manehattan outskirts)

Ashton

Magnus simply raised an eyebrow at her glance, betraying no other sign of emotion as he let her draw her own conclusions about that. When they reached the booze, he sat at the table, looking at the drink she poured him for a moment before picking up the glass in his magic and toasting right along with her. Clinking their glasses together, he took a small sip at first to try and see if anything was wrong. Assuming nothing was, he would drain the rest of the glass. 

Harle raised her glass and took a sip, a little disappointed that magnus didn't return the toast, but perhaps she was expecting too much. she hadn't really seen any toasts outside of the political functions her mother used to attend, perhaps this was a bit over his head, but she lowered her glass, looking at him seriously now "y' know, gov, ah could really use y' skills. ah saw how y' almost took out that peg'sus w'thout the gel even knowing, and y' showed sharp wits dealin' w' the bloody el'men'l... don' suppose y' might b interest'd in a more perm'nant arrangement?

“I’ve got my own goals to take care of, but I would likely be willing to take jobs as they come up. I have a home in Canterlot already, I am not looking to live on a ship. We can work together in the future though.” Magnus said, looking back at her as he responded to the offer. Being part of a crew backfired on him before, he wasn’t about to let it happen again. Keeping them at a distance as occasional partners/employers would probably be better. 

Harle sighed. She liked magnus, he seemed like a decent pony, for a sellsword, and his abilities were helpful... she wasn't sure what to do, she hadn't been refused before, and she had no blood on her claws and would prefer to keep it that way... but she was now likely public enemy #1 now that so many worse threats had been put down and she couldn't jeopardize her crew... maybe... maybe she could still salvage this without bloodshed... maybe...

"would y' be willing to put that to paper, gov?" she asked "usually ah only ask crew ta sign a contract, but seein' that ya will be workin' fer me regular'ly would save us both some tr'ble" she smiled, hoping and praying he would say yes, if not... well she really hoped he was going to be reasonable...

Magnus raised an eyebrow, unsure of what to say in response at first. There was something suspicious going on there, but he got the feeling he shouldn’t push too hard at the moment. 

“That depends. What kind of terms do you have, and what kind of benefits are there?” He asked eventually, trying to keep things non-committal until he had a better idea of what he would be getting into here. 

"f' ya jus' workin' with us 'cationally, its mos'ly just settin' ya rate" explained harle "now if'n ya joined m' crew, then y'd get room an' board, cut o' all loot' -even if'n ya werent in the team- full dent'l and part'l medical... corry but only a few doc's will work f' me that's not part o' the crew" she explained

“Well, get it written up and I’ll look at it. Until then, I can’t exactly sign a contract that doesn’t exist yet.” Magnus said, humming slightly. Those were some interesting benefits, but it had been hard enough getting to where he was the first time, he didn’t relish the idea of getting his noble status back a third time if he was found out as being part of a wanted pirate crew. 

Harle smirked and stomped her hindfeet in a pattern, and moments later singlestone entered, holding a packet of papers bound in golden cord "ah would be remiss t' bring up a contract that didn' exis', wouldn' ah?" she asked, pulling the cord and unbinding the papers "now, are y' interested in joinin' m' crew or jus' in creating a sort of... partnership?" she asked, separating the papers into two separate stacks

Magnus looked at the papers that were produced, raising an eyebrow at the questions that followed. He thought he had already answered that question initially. "Well, I did not expect you to have a pre-prepared contract for both options. For joining the crew, sure, but not the other one. As for the way I'm going, I believe I've already answered that. I am not in the market for being part of a pirate crew, but I am willing to work with you on jobs." He answered, looking back over at her.

while minor, harle's figure noticeably slumped downwards a bit as he spoke, clearly she had hoped she had convinced him otherwise, she said nothing as she took the larger bundle of papers and stuck them in the inside pocket of her coat "of course" she said, her enthusiasm having faded back a bit

Singlestone put a hoof on harle's back to reassure her "excuse us a moment" he said as he gave harle's jacket a tug and motioned her to the other room

Harle slowly nodded and followed him.

what would likely surprise magnus was the fact that he did not hear any voices but instead a strange tapping and scratching sound... if he remembered far enough back or had been around a schoolhouse recently it might quickly light up that they were 'talking' using a chalkboard to prevent any eavesdropping... and from the sound of it they were having a rather heated discussion...

After several minutes, Singlestone returned, though harle stayed in the other room "I apologize for my captain, she has been under a lot of stress lately" he said as he picked up the papers from the table "there is no need to sign a contract right now"

None of this was allaying his suspicions at all. In fact, it was mostly just making them look worse. He sighed to himself as he heard them communicate through writing for a while, the other one eventually coming back out. He raised an eyebrow at the male’s words, glancing at the room Harle was still in. 

“She does know I don’t have to be onboard to be helpful, yes? Why is she so insistent on me joining? If she’s looking to add me to whatever little family dynamic you have here, then let me share something. Family’s overrated. Take it from someone who’s had multiple different ones turn on him and betray him.” Magnus said, getting up and walking out onto the deck. If he wasn’t going to be forging any contracts or the like, he saw no reason to stick around in there. Now he just had to wait until he could leave the ship itself. 

After several minutes, likely singlestone and harle speaking, the unicorn made his way to the deck and walked over to magnus, though staring out at the landscape rather than looking at him "If I may offer you a piece of advice..." began the unicorn "...watch your tongue." he paused a moment to let it set in before continuing "You and my captain are a lot alike, you both suffered harsh betrayals that hurt you... but you chose to push everypony away and suffer in silence. Harle chose to take precautions and still embrace others... look around yourself, Magnus, Harle has a crew -a family- who would gladly lay down their lives for her, and she would do the same for them. When the chips are down and your in peril, who do you have to come to your aid? To even know you need help?" he paused again "While I would not go as far as to say you made an enemy -Harle is not that cold and jaded- you pushed away a creature who was willing ti give you a chance and a place to belong, a friend who was willing to care about you and help you heal... instead you return her sentiment with harsh words and talk of betrayal... Harle was trying to help you..." he turned and walked a distance away, speaking more loudly now "The ship will be passing a large city in half an hour. If you wish to leave, that will be your first option." the tone of his voice made it clear singlestone was not happy with how things had gone, and from his perspective, magus had hurt harle... but he was still willing to give the other unicorn a chance to redeem himself.

Magnus gave a small snort at how the other unicorn started his words, but gave no other indication he even heard what was being said. Instead, he simply stared out over the railing, watching the scenery go by. Didn’t help matters that being on a boat like this, even a flying one, was bringing back bad memories. Specifically the day he got his mark and his life was ruined. 

Despite not reacting to most of what was said, he had heard it all, and he finally moved his gaze off the scenery to watch the other unicorn walk away. It would seem he had a lot to think about now...

He was very hesitant to place his trust in anyone in that way ever again, but there were some good points in there... Perhaps he should give them the chance to earn it...

Magnus eventually gave a heavy sigh, making up his mind as he set off to find Harle again. 

It would not take much work to find harle. She was back in the 'bar' area, this time with a large snifter of bourbon and her head on the table, her wings and tail drooping onto the floor. How much she had drank was not clear though, given the size of the snifter and the fact that how much one filled such a vessel depended strongly on the strength of the bouquet of the bourbon, as well as personal preference and aesthetics, but if if harle had only started, there was enough there that she wouldn't have to worry about where to sleep, she'd be sleeping right there... clearly the way magnus rejected her offer had hit the griffon very hard...

Magnus frowned as he stood across the table from her, watching her as she lay there. He eventually gave another sigh, floating the alcohol and cup away from her and setting them with the rest. 

“I’ve decided to give this whole thing a chance.” He said simply, watching her to see if she was even conscious to hear him. “If this is a trap, I’ll kill you all myself.”

Harle looked up at him, her eyes red with unseen tears from before... she said nothing for a moment then reached into her pocket and slid the packet of papers toward him.

"i's only a trap if y' make it one y'self, gov" she said after a moment, slowly forcing herself back up "ah'm no scoundrel, no pirate, just a gel tryin' ta survive in this mad, mad, mad world"

Well, that had yet to be seen, but if she had a similar past to his, he could believe it. He remained silent for now, looking over the papers that were handed to him. He may be giving her a chance, but that didn’t mean he trusted her yet. Plus, he wasn’t about to sign something without reading it first. 

most of the papers were fairly normal fare, stating he got a place to sleep and store his personal affects, free and unlimited use of the ship's facilities, a cut of all treasure recovered (even if he was not a part of the party who recovered it - though of course a smaller share in such a case) and a pledge to serve the crew - not harle herself, but the crew as a whole - as well as it being stated that he was under no obligation to remain a part of the crew but was welcome to leave at any time he chose.

The one page that stood out though was a magical contract, required to be signed in blood, which stated that should he ever betray the crew (as a whole) for his own personal gain, that he would... be turned into an eggplant... it was almost comical, and it was clear that (if it was even truly binding) the contract only came into effect for malicious betrayal, and there would be cases where no other possibilities existed (such as perhaps torture or similar) that the contract held no weight... it seemed to be there just to dissuade or prevent any crew members spilling the crew's secrets for their own gain, not an overall contract to control those it was bound to.

((to make it clear, essentially if you sell them out for wealth, you get turned into an eggplant. Though whether this would really happen is up for debate (even if we're not considering site-rules, its a rather... unique... magical contract, so...)))

Magnus hummed to himself as he read through the pages, raising an eyebrow at the magical page. Well, that was interesting, to say the least, but at least it helped make him feel better about all this. Satisfied, he signed them, drawing one of his daggers to sign the blood one. 

“There. Now what?” He said, setting the papers back down and sheathing the dagger. He started binding his cut, sitting down nearby. 

Harle walked over and took the papers solemnly, placing them in her inside coat pocket, no doubt going to file them later, then, far less solemnly she threw her arms around magnus "you have no idea how bad I felt" she said, her accent completely gone "or how happy I am now, knowing that as bad as things have been, I can still help you" she held tight, the smell on her breath making it clear the indeed had imbued at least some of the alcohol (probably quite a bit of it), and her heightened emotional state only confirming it "I promise, whether your only cracked or even completely shattered and broken, I will help fix you, I wont walk away and I wont back down, I promise!"

from atop the stairs, singlestone merely smiled as he quietly closed the door. 

Magnus gave a shout at the sudden hug, grumbling as the griffon held him. He wasn't returning the hug, but he made no real attempt to break it either, rolling his eyes as he smelled the alcohol on her breath. He sighed, simply bearing the hug, squinting in suspicion as he heard what sounded like the door closing. Maybe, it was kinda quiet. He'd have to investigate later, when he could actually move again.

She held him a few seconds more, likely thanks to the alcohol making her mind a little cloudy and not realizing he didn't like the hug, afterwards she smiled a little "Welcome to the crew. Singlestone can show you around... I... I need to lay down a few minutes, I'll catch up with you in a bit" she said, stumbling into the next room and closing the door, and soon the sound of her snoring was heard... though it would likely amuse magnus if he looked into the room and had realized it was a storage room... yeah, the stress and the alcohol had gotten to harle, apparently she had drank a lot more than she had shown...

If magnus tried to leave, he would find singlestone waiting at the door, if he did not, the unicorn would let himself in after a few minutes "I trust from the sounds of the captains snoring, that everything is in order?" he asked with a bit of a smile "I'll be glad to show you around, we dont have a lot of rooms here, but there are enough to forget what is where"

Magnus sighed to himself as Harle left to sleep, stretching out a bit before he moved towards the door and walked out to find the other unicorn there. He listened to Singlestone speak, nodding a bit and motioning for him to lead the way. There wasn’t really anything for him to say currently, so he didn’t say anything at all. 

Singlestone frowned, ever-so-slightly, at Magnus' reaction. Unlike his captain, singlestone wasn't so sure that this was going to work, but he trusted harle, and if she wanted to try to make it work, he would do everything in his power to go along with that plan. Perhaps it just would take time for this one to warm up to them... he dreaded to think what Last Hour would be like...

"This is the main deck" said Singlestone, starting the tour, "from here you can head on down into the crew quarters, up the stairs to the controls, or over to the captain's private quarters... and yes, before you ask, that *is* a shuffleboard setup near the bow" he explained "we do not have a traditional 'crows nest' due to the danger of anycreature being so close to the propellers, so the lookout is usually in the control room"

On the main deck, there would be several creatures, some of whom were dressed more-or-less normally, while some seemed to have fully embraced the 'sailor' or 'pirate' aesthetic, though none of them sounded like they were particularity mean or evil - not that one could make a solid judgement by vocal patterns and snippets of conversation, but it did server as a start.

Singlestone walked over to the far end of the ship, past one of the propeller masts which had barrels around it to kinda-sorta block off the ladder leading up to the propeller itself for maintenance.  He stopped outside the large door at the end "These are the captain's private quarters, though she rarely uses them except to sleep, make sure you always knock"

If magnus looked through the window, he would see that despite it being dark, he could make out a writing desk, a bed, and a couple bookshelves (one filled with books, the other nick-nacks, including a couple plush toys, interestingly enough), as well as several large chests against a wall, along with one at the foot of the bed). In contrast to most ships, which often had a picture of their captain over the bed, or their matron, this one had a picture of a well-to-do pony, though it was too dark to make out the details.

Magnus looked around the ship as he was given the tour of the main deck, taking in where things were and where he could go for some privacy if he needed it. When they ended the tour, he looked into the room, humming slightly as he saw the contents. 

“Very well, thank you.” He said, turning away from the window to give Singlestone a nod. “Is there anything else?”