Hearts of Ice (Closed: Dusty)

RainbowFoxxy

She did not know how to deal with… This. She didn't even move or speak as Glitter touched her face. She didn’t know what to do. What to say. She let out a breath she didn't even know she was holding when the mare slipped back in to sleep. Moving the mare back down she placed an ear on Glitters chest… still beating. Still strong. All that matters. Backing away from the mare Tempest stumbled to the wall of the cave and placed her head on the cold stone. She felt… dizzy. Sick to her stomach even as she thinks about… everything. 

‘We're gonna match though.’ What good was that? That was horrible. All of this was. Glitter… she never… NEVER! Needed to be like Tempest. Tempest was a monster. One born out of anger, hate and a screaming need to feel like she mattered no matter the price. Tempest killed a filly. Tempest killed Fizzy. And Tempest was going to get Glitter killed as well. It's all Tempest was good at. Destroying. 

And that fact made her heart drop with a weezing whimper of a cry. She was crying again. For so long she was running from her past and now she can’t. It was laying on the stone floor of a blasted cave with nothing but a monster with hooves forever stained red with the sins against ponykind commented for stuped reasons. 

Slumping against the wall of the cave she curled up in a ball as the wolves were howling with laughter. Their mocking echoed in her head. She was foolish. Stuped. Alone. Forever alone. They were her only friends. The only ones that stuck with her. But she didn't want them now. She never wanted them. She wanted to be Fizzy. She wanted to do all of this over again and stop herself. Stop the madness. 

With a wheezing cry she dug her face in her front legs to muffle her own screaming. She just wanted them to shut up. To leave her alone. But the howling did not stop. It grew and grew as she felt the hot breath of the wolves on her neck. So close. So very close. All she had to do was give in too it. Be what she knew she really was. A monster. ‘She’d die.’ A small filly says. A filly that refused to die. No matter how much the wolves did try.

Pulling herself up she looked at the mare. Alone. Helpless. She can’t leave her. She can’t. So she moved closer, dropping down next to the mare and nuzzling in to glitters mane to wipe away tears. The wolves backed away, their voices cut short as if they feared waking the sleeping mare. “Honor means nothing when war is unfair.” She whispers a song to herself to distract her own mind. “We've come here to battle and return to nowhere. There's blood in these hills from the battles forlorn as kings die like peasants. Wolves in the shadows drag pieces away with no one to mourn the dead. I've got nothing to lose, with no debts left to pay. The gods have not listened as prayers turned to ash.

Vengeance igniting the fire in my blood as I follow a path of destruction, by sword and by flame.  Fed to the vultures were friends and good ponies in pursuit of dominion, the game that never ends. I have seen heaven, or some kind of hell, there's no one to save us, all my heroes are dead. The songs of a filly is silent and honor means nothing when life is unfair. I come here to battle and return to nowhere. A cage with no walls for a wolf like me.” She pushed her face in to the mare's chest and shut her eyes. She was so tired.

------------------------------

She woke eyes wide, breath heave with panic from her haunted dreams. Looking around the cave she saw nothing. She was safe. Looking down at Glitter she felt a ping of worry and had to put her ear to the mare's chest again. Still breathing. Standing up she stretched her legs and moved to the mouth of the cave. It was hard to see outside as the wind screamed with a blizzard. Past the cave was just a wall of white. There's no way she can go out in that she'd get lost in a heartbeat. So she walked back to the ashes of the fire… they did not have much wood left. But with what few sticks she can gather in the cave she added them to the flames to keep it going and sat down to warm up as she digs in her saddle bags. Pulling out a pack of cigarettes she takes one in her muzzle and with a spark of magic set it alight. 

She sat watching the small fire, feeling its heat shake of the num cold. She’d need too get more firewood if the blizzard slowed down… She saw glitter waking up and greeted her. “Good morning. At least I think it's moreing… We got a nasty blizzard outside.” she says before looking at the saddle bag and digs in it for some food. “Ya, I can do with some food… cooked oats ok?” She asked looking back at the mare. She was extremely happy to see her wake. She wanted to say so much… But the words just did not come.

• Like 1
  • Hearthoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

glitter banner.png

"Good morning," She offered a small smile to the mare.

Glitter winced as she settled herself into a comfortable sitting position, her wound throbbing. The mare shivered a little, noting the fire was burning low and that there was a blizzard front that was about to pound down on them. She could see the light from outside but it issued from around a rock ledge. No wonder the timber wolves liked to use this cave, it was actually quite cozy. Glitter snuggled down into her blanket as she watched Fizzy. She mare looked, well...worn? Were those tracks on her cheeks? Had she been crying? If she had been there was plenty of reason. What they had just lived through was not exactly a walk in the park. But Glitter somehow knew, she knew Tempest must be battling on the inside. 

Glitter went through bouts of that herself. Inner turmoil. Struggle. Demons. She shook her head, she was not about to open that box right now. Her ears perked up at the mention of food. 

"Yep! Cooked oats sounds really good!" Her stomach rumbled. When had she last eaten? 

She touched her bandages and winced again. She couldn't feel anything beside throbbing underneath the wrappings. Would she be blind in that eye? She hoped not. Being blind in one eye was not opportune for those who lived the outdoor survival lifestyle. But if she was, she was. She'd never take back what she'd done out there. She knew she was throwing her life on the line with what she did. It was worth it. It was for Fizzy. Anything she could do to pay the mare back for past misfortune was worth it. 

"Fizzy?" The word came out small. "Could you help me up? I need to use the little filly's room." She laughed lightly calling it that. "I'll stay right outside the mouth of the cave." She spoke the words without think, Tempest was her caretaker right now. 

Koda trotted around them, small excited barks issuing from him. The dog was concerned for his master. "It's ok boy, it's ok." She used a quiet voice to soothe him. 

"So, we'll get moving after the blizzard?" She questioned the unicorn, trying to start some sort of conversation. 

• Like 1

“Good, that’s about all we got.” Tempest says after blowing smoke out of her nose. She loved doing that trick as it made her feel like a dragon. She got up and started to look for the oats when she was called for again. She looked over at glitter as the mare talked, then chuckled before walking over and using her head and neck to help left glitters up, then letting the mare lean on her as they gently walked closer to the mouth of the cav. “Hay… Glitter. Can. Can you do something. I hate asking you to do anything. But please don’t call me… The F name. I don’t like it. I really don’t like it. It hurts. Just call me… Temtem. Temy. whatever. Just not the F word.” She asked well they walked, feeling ashamed to even ask it. But she had to do it. Every time Glitter spoke that blasted name it felt like a dagger was being twisted in her chest. It was a dad name for a dead filly and it needed to be kept that way. He can never be that filly again. But she can be something more than Tempest. 

Leaning her head away from Glitter she let out a huff of smoke. She hated that she had even more vices nowadays. But at least this one made her relaxe. A small window of peace from the howling darkness sitting just out of view but always following her. Ready. Wanting. All for her to slip and allow it inside. That worry fades away in the smoke. For a time. As they reach the opening and the screaming storm outside she keeps looking away from Glitter, but stays by her side to not let the mare fall down. “Well, do what you got to do. I’m not looking.” She says rolling her eyes, even if Glitter can’t see it.

• Like 1

glitter banner.png

Glitter leaned heavily onto Fizzy's neck as the other mare helped her up. He legs felt shaky and she was glad that she had requested the assistance. As they took the first few step she got light headed and leaned most of her weight onto the strong frame of the mare beside her. She glanced over, noting the smoke issuing from nostrils and muzzle. It comforted her somehow, seeing Fizzy ease herself with a vice. 

Then came the request. It hit her in the gut, deep and raw. Until she called it to mind Glitter hadn't even realized she had been calling her Fizzy. She felt bad, like she didn't care. She hadn't thought that perhaps that part of the past should just stay where it belonged...forgotten in the past. Thought it wasn't forgotten. None of it was. She relived the whole scene on an almost daily if not twice or more daily clock. The path, her friends, the ball, the whole thing. It played on repeat. Far from forgotten. She swallowed and continued towards the cave mouth.

A nod.

"Ah," She spoke softly. "Yeah, I can do that." She looked away, towards the storm. "Temy." It felt weird but it also felt, well, almost like a name shared between those with deep connections. A nick name that nopony else could get away with. Yet she could. Glitter could call her that. Yeah, it felt ok.

They made their way outside and Glitter couldn't help her smile when Temy stated she wasn't looking. Again, she hadn't even thought about that. She'd somehow lost her modesty in all this mess. Temy had just helped her through a state of utter weakness. She could have easily slipped away if the unicorn hadn't been there. 

The storm was cold. So cold she felt her bones take on a chill almost instantly. As soon as she was finished she took a step towards the cave. "Brr," The cold felt deeper with her injury. "Let's get back inside." Those oats were sounding really good now.

Once she'd settled Glitter sighed as she glanced towards the storm once more. "Well, I guess we found the source of the problem," Focusing on work would settle her mind. "Not sure there's much we can do about it. We'll have to let the surrounding farmers know. At least livestock will be in the barn for the winter. Less chance of that ursa nabbing them." As she spoke she watched Tempest. She could feel what was happening. Her work had been the source of any semblance of stability she had and already she could feel that shifting to Tempest. It was silly of course. Once this was done, Tempest would be on her way.

Her heart sank at the thought. She didn't want Tempest to go, ever. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

before she joined the Storm King's army. She did so many times after. Cooking over an open fire. She can still think back too the first few times. The raw joy of starting a fire and the many, many failed attempts too cook food. Yet she did. She trained herself to cook. To live. Yet for all of that she was alone. Ny her own wishes many times. Yet now she had Glitter laying there, watching her every move. Somehow it felt… like this was the way it was supposed to be. 

“If I knew what it was, I’d have taken some TNT.” She says with words dripping with utter hatred for the best. She’d kill it. Without blinking an eye she’d wach it be blown into a red mist. If they even did that… What does a bear made out of stars blow up in to? “Sooner or later it has to be dealt with. It will only get more brave and soon you will have more than missing livestock.” She added looking over at Glitter, eyes forced the still fresh wounds on the mares body. 

She pulled her eyes away, shaking her head. “Glitter…” She trailed off soon as she spoke as she gazed in to the fire. She had to say something. “Glitter I… I missed you.” The words felt painful to even say. It was the truth yet it felt like chewing on glass to say it. There was so much missing from it. How can she even explain it? She was just some bucked up mare that can barely function in a social setting. But she can't keep danceing around this.

• Hearthoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

glitter banner.png

Tempest mused on the bear. It was not a contemplative muse, that much was obvious. Glitter knew that ursa would not survive the winter. she could tell by the steel behind the words the unicorn uttered. Glitter didn't contest, the animal had torn her up. Made a mess of her face. But, on the other hoof...it had somehow brought her and Tempest back together. How could something bent on destruction accomplish something that made Glitter's heart feel as it did? The whole thing was a swirling conundrum. But still she knew, Tempest would kill the bear.

Then the words came. Simple words but with floods of meaning. She knew it was an effort for the other mare to speak on anything so real. She knew Tempest had worked to lock away Fizzy, her playfulness, her joy. This mare before her lived a metal shell of her own creation. It was more than the mail and leather armor she wore, it was tighter than that. Around her very heart.  But these words had leaked and they came to Glitter's ear haltingly. 

Glitter looked on towards her friend. Though it was painful the mare forced herself to move to Tempest's side. There she slumped, down hard on her friend. Back to the ground in front of the fire. She needed to make the move, even though it hurt her physically. The force that moved her was so much stronger. She looked up into Tempest's swirling eyes. 

"I missed you too..." She sighed, feeling a wave of feelings wash over her. She found herself wanting to be ever closer to the other unicorn. She also knew this time would end. Wouldn't it? Tempest would want to go on her way after the ursa was dealt with? 

"You don't have to leave," She looked away. "If you don't want to."

• Like 1

As Glitter slumped down next to her Tempest felt her heart sink, she could see the pain in the movement and reached out, placing a foreleg over the mare without thinking. She felt lost as to what to do about this, how too act with Glitter laying down so close looking at her. So Tempest did nothing, just looking down at the mare she cared about and missed for so long. For the briefest of moments she felt younger. Pain free without a care in the world with her best friend. But realty never let her daydream for long. “Glitter… You know I have too. I… We…” She trailed off, the blank cold face of hers twitching as it barely held back the feelings it masked. Every time she tried to speak the words seemed to die before they left her muzzle. She felt helpless and clueless as to what too do. What to say. How many pointless things have she used to fill in this hole? Mares, violence, drinks and so much more. All to fill that deep gash in her soul that she inflicted on herself and blamed others for. And none it worked. 

She let out a deep gasp as air rushed in to her lungs, leaving her panting from how long she held her own breath without knowing. It left her sputtering and spitting out her cigarette before she dropped her head down on the cold stone floor and covered it with a leg as the mask shattered. She can’t keep it up any more. All of this was too much. She was miserable, hopeless and aimless. Just spinning in place hoping to never wake up again and face the fact her life was a joke. Worthless. Pointless. She can’t burden glitter with it, how can she? How can she come back after so long and dump this dead pony walking on Glitters doormat. She needed to remember Flizzy, happy and brave. Not Tempest. Not this broken, scared, hopeless mare. Everypony just put up with her. Acted like they enjoyed her out of some pity for the sad state of a mare she was. All she did was destroy. All she can do is destroy.

• Hearthoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

glitter banner.png

For the briefest of moments she could see it. See the life that lay before her. With Tempest. With her best friend. With the mare she loved. They would live together in the outpost. They would trek and wander the frozen wastes, together. Camp in the freezing reaches in the winter and fill their canteens from the icy mountain streams in the summer. They would work together and have a motive to do the work. They would be a strong team. They would be the key that fit each other's locks. 

She lay there, with the unicorn's foreleg over her withers. She felt protected then. Like she hadn't in so long. Like she hadn't ever. Tempest was strong in body though she had her weaknesses. Of that Glitter was sure. And it was that that made her heart beat out of love from this unicorn beside her. She was broken in so many places, they both were. They could hold each other together. They could. 

Tempest spoke. Saying that she couldn't stay. But the words felt hollow to Glitter's ear. She could tell the unicorn didn't want to mean what she said. In that moment she knew she'd have Tempest stay. They wouldn't be together...not yet anyway, but they would get to spend time together. They would learn from each other and grow strong together. They would mend their brokenness. They would show each other that there were some ponies tat actually did care. They would care for each other. 

Then Tempest put down her head.She could feel the shuddering pain coming off the mare. it wasn't really physical pain, it was deeper, more raw and bleeding. Glitter felt her heart go out. She felt the pain that Tempest felt. She didn't know the depth of the whole story but she knew enough. She would prove herself to Tempest. Prove that her love was real. That would take time. For now, she'd do what she could.

Glitter bent down her head, laying her muzzle over Tempest's neck. Breathing in her scent and settling into a state of peace. A magic came from Glitter's horn. It swirled around them, pulsing with warmth. She said nothing, just held herself and Tempest in that magic. She would not let go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tempest did not protest against Glitter and the snuggling or magic. She wanted it to last forever in a way. This tiny ember of something so lost warmed her in ways nothing has ever done before. It was terrifying in a way yet she was even more scared to let the ember go, fearful it would die out the moment she did. And so she laid unmoving for what felt like hours. But she was not sure if it was. Time felt slow, like a crawl yet to fast all the same. She only broke her unmoving silence when her stomach made it very clear it was done with all this laying around and lack of cooking. But she did not wish to move yet… she did not want Glitter to let go. So words were all she let slip. “I’m… I’m sorry. For everything. I missed you so much I… I hated you. But I… Never really did. I hate it. I hate myself. I hate what I am.” She felt like an old door was being forced open. One locked up for far, far too long. “I’m a monster. I have done awful things and look at me. Look where I am. I’m not happy. I’m no better than when I was a filly running away so long ago. All I have done. All the suffering. Pain. And… Nothing. I’d have died just like that filly so long ago. Just… Why did you do it?” She asked, she had too ask. She did not know why she did. She knew what glitter would say. ‘Too save you.’ but that’s not what she wanted to know. She just did not know how too ask what she really did want to know. She was too scared to ask what may destroy this moment. 

• Hearthoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

glitter banner.png

Glitter stayed there, unmoving as the unicorn tried to pry open her door. She continued to rest her muzzle on Tempest and breath her in. She continued to hold them both in the warmth of her magic. She listened to the words. They washed over her like a pain filled torrent. She allowed it to happen. She did not stop the words from coming. The only way to mend the broken was to let it out. She'd tried to deal with her own hurts. They only mended fractionally when she spoke of them. When she confronted them for what they really were. If Tempest wanted to do that now, Glitter would not stop her.

Of course the words took her back over the years. She knew how Fizzy must have felt about her. She could somehow always feel it deep in her heart. She'd felt the anguish most of all. It was her own but it was also shared. There was no going back. No stopping what had happened. Only time to look down the road ahead. A road she wanted to walk with somepony else by her side. She did not want to, could not, walk this road alone. Not now. Not after spending even this short time with the unicorn beside her. 

She glanced at Tempest and then away. Her words were ending. And a question rose. She sucked in a breath, burying her muzzle into Temmy's neck in something akin to a kiss. It was more than that though. Her broken heart was seeking solace. 

"How could I not have done it?" 

She moved, pressing her injured face into Temmy for just a moment. It didn't hurt, it felt comforting. The sharing of so many emotions, pains, and griefs. At the same time a light of hope was blooming in her heart. She would have done that and s much more for this mare beside her. 

• Like 1

“Easly.” Tempest says back, a cold bluntness in her words. “Like so many others. Turn around and leave me to suffer. You have every reason to do that and nothing to grain from this but pain.” she added before moving, pushing herself closer to Glitter as she embraced the mare in a wordless hug. After a few moments she pushed her nose against Glitters forehead, gently nuzzling the mare with it with deep breaths. She can’t explain why she did it. Just that in the moment it made so much pain fade away. A tiny glittering moment of something that may have been. Another world and place where she was happy, peaceful and had some pony that loved her. A world that can never happen now. Can it? How can something good ever come from this wasted life in this worthless world? It was the day dreaming of a filly. Yet she did not want to toss out such dreams. No matter how hopeless they may be it was a dream worth holding on to with all four legs. 

“I don’t want to leave.” She whimpers, finly admitting the truth. “I don’t want to run away again. I’m a broken mutt of a pony. A stay dog with no hope left but you seem… to have a thing for taking in such things.” She says still embracing the mare. Glitter was many things. And just maybe one of them can be a way to a better life. Just maybe. Burnt bridges can be replaced with new ones. Well the old may be forever lost, the path can be remade, maybe even better. Maybe she can do the same with Glitter. 

Her stomach fussed again, sounding like a starving wolf. “I think I need to make food.” She says learning her hug relaxe and freeing the mare from it. She did not want to let go yet. She was scared the moment will be gone if she did. Lost like tears falling in a river. For one beautiful moment she did not feel alone in this world and in it she felt a smile on her lips. She was happy. True happiness. Even if it was fleeting… that feeling was a rush of life she so deeply needed and with it, for the first time in years… she felt like she took one step out from the pit her soul was in.

• Hearthoof 1

glitter banner.png

Glitter held onto the moment, savoring the feeling all over. She felt whole for the first time maybe ever? When Temy pressed her muzzle into her forehead and breathed deeply with the other unicorn, taking in the air like it was love itself. She could feel her heart beat, warm and strong. It was right. It was all right in the world for that one moment in time. 

"This doesn't feel like pain to me," She spoke softly, responding to Temy's warning. 

She pressed herself in closer, if that was possible, feeling a connection like she'd never felt before. It was like the broken pieces of her heart were picked up off the floor. They hovered there in the air, not put back together but just held there. She never wanted this time to end. Temy spoke again, her words like balm. She didn't want to leave. Glitter didn't want her to leave, not ever. She smiled a small smile at the words.

"Yes," She nuzzled Tempest one last time. "I do have a thing for strays," One more soft kiss into the mare's crest, where mane met neck. 

Then there was space between them. As Temy spoke of food Glitter's stomach rumbled. The mane stood, the movements somehow easier after their shared time together. 

"Let me help." She spoke as she went for the bag of oats. "Boiled oats. Not the most exciting thing but they sound good right now." She sorted through the supply pack and came up with a small vile levitating in her magic. "Honey! I knew I brought some." She went for the cook pan in the bag and soon had it levitating above the flames with water inside. "What else should we have?"

She glanced at Tempest and then out the cave entrance. "Is that?" She looked closer. Was that sunlight? "I think the storm might be clearing."

• Hearthoof 1

As much as Tempest wanted the moment to last forever it like all things must end. So with one last nuzzle in to glitters mane she got up to cook, only to see glitter spring up and take lead in the cooking. It was a shock and made her worry seeing the mare rush to move like this, but soon took it as a blessing. Glitter was clearly feeling much better and stronger. Maybe the moment they had together helped more than she knew. “I have some dates, very good travel food.” she offered to add in the meal, then looked out too the cave entrance. The storm did seem to be dying off. She trotted closer to the entrance and peaked out to see the clearing skies. She sniffs at the air a few times then walks back inside. “After we eat I will head out and try to work out where we are. I think I can get up the cliffside. Give me a good view to work off.” She explained as she sat down by the fire. “Then we make ready for the trip back to the city. We can’t be too far, at most half a day. But if we get lost… Well, I hate to be stuck in the open if another storm hits. Dying as some ice sculpture is not on my list of ways too go.” She says with a small smile and wink.

• 3 weeks later...

glitter banner.png

The food tasted really good. Way better than it had any right to taste. Perhaps it was the honey and dates. Perhaps it was that Glitter was way more hungry than she realized. Probably it was both! Either way she levitated the oats up to her muzzle and blew on them before another mouthful. After this she sat back, wincing a bit in the effort. Her desire for food and the closeness with Temy had made her feel good but her injuries were singing through again. It would be some time before she was completely mended. She was good enough to move, but it would be slow and she would need Temy's help. 

"I don't think we'll get lost," She'd been out in this area numerous times and knew the trails decently enough. "But you're right about another storm." She took a breath, weighing their options. "We should get going though if we can. This food will only hold out for so long." She laughed. "Ice sculptures or starving in a cave. Gotta love those options!"

Only a pony that had spent plenty of time in dire situations would be able to laugh at their options. She knew Temy would take this in stride, she'd been in worse conditions for sure. 

She knew Temy wouldn't allow them to leave it she didn't think the way would be clear enough and the storms would stay at bay.. She felt safe with the unicorn. Her voice, her scent, her way of moving were all comforting to Glitter in ways she couldn't quite place. Well, maybe she could. She felt she was home with Temy by her side. Her heart felt warm at the thought. She took a sip of water. 

"I think my cabin is closer than the city." She thought out loud. "A few leagues at most." She patted Koda as the dog came to rest by her side. "Plus, Koda knows the 'home' command so he can help keep us on the best path."

She glanced towards the cave entrance, noting the sunlight streaming into their dark abode. "At least the weather is going to allow for a look around." 

• Like 1

Tempest munched on the food with as much gusto as Glitter. For food made on the fly in a cave it was not too bad! What happens when you have two mares with experience in such unorthodox cooking. In fact glitter seemed too hold herself very well out here even after such a painful injury. She was strong in body and will with the knowledge to make the most of things out here. It was… charming. Beautiful even. Tempest can’t place her hoof on the feelings she was having but somehow this mare… this old friend was… seeming like everything she wanted in some pony. As first meetings go this one truly was something like no other and Tempest felt as if the gods had plotted it all years ahead of time. 

“Not the worst options.” She says, shaking her head with a smile as she looked at glitter. “Back when I was a filly I had to pick starving too death or eating some rats. No matter how much you cook a rat it still makes you feel awful. At least we have…” she looks about the caves walls. “Some moss and fungus. Worst come we can eat that and tree bark. Way better than rats.” she says sticking her tongue out at Glitter. 

She thinks on the plan to get home. The cabin may be the best move. They can’t be too far from it, they were at worst a day's track? At best half a day. If the dog can pick up the way home that'd be very useful. “Very well, the day is young. If you feel fit for travel I can gear us up, get you on my back and make a go for it. Don’t want you walking all of this you need rest. Last thing we need is you getting sick from all of this.” She says aiming a hoof at glitter's mostly covered face. “And get the eye looked at. Don’t want you going half-blind in that eye like I am.”

• Hearthoof 1

glitter banner.png

Glitter blanched and placed the tin with her oats to the side as Temmy mentioned eating rats. The unicorn had been in her fair share of situations as well but...eating rats?! She had to hoof it to Temmy, that was some true survival grit! Glitter had never eaten meat and she doubted she ever would. She'd certainly go for frozen bark and snow melt or basically anything before eating meat! 

"Yep! I'm sure a moss, fungus, bark sandwich will be much better than a rat-cicle!" She raised her lip in disgust and then smiled. "You're showing me up with eating rats. I mean, I've survived a lot of bad situations but never something that would press me to do that!" She winked. "I like an outdoorsy mare that can take care of herself."

She liked that Temmy was opening up around her. Even jesting with sticking out her tongue and laughing a little. She could see it was good for the unicorn's soul, it was certainly good for her own soul. She wished they were somewhere safe and warm where they could laugh, and snuggle, and maybe... she shook her head as a blush crept onto her cheeks. Whoa there filly! Keep your head in the game! She wanted to ask more from Temy. She wanted to hear where she'd been and what she'd endured but, best not go there for now either. 

"Yeah, I'm good to go." She felt a little weak but the offer of a ride and the thought of being back safe to her cabin was a driving force!  She reached up and touched the bandages with with a hoof. "Yeah, I have no idea what's going on under there." She felt good having Temy care for her and look after there. There's no way she would accept it from anypony else. But this mare was different. She felt like they'd never had a time apart. She'd never felt so whole.

• Hearthoof 1

“One learns fast how to live ‘outdoorsy’ when that is the only home one has for years.” She says with a hint of pain in her words. But she pushed on past it, she did not like talking too much about her young life after she ran away. They were bad times. But the past is the past, she needs too worry about Glitter for now. Helping pack up soon they were ready. “Ok, stay still.” She says walking behind glitters. Lowering her head down and then the rest of her body she pushed up underneath the mare and stood. In one swift movement Glitters hooves were hanging in the air as the mare rested on Temys back. “Hold on well to my neck. We depart.” 

Torting out in the snow Tempest was thankful for how tall her legs were, it made moving in the show far more easy. With both their saddlebags, her armor and a full grown mare on her back she needed every last thing to make this trip suck less. “Koda! Home? Where’s home?” She says, looking down at Glitters dog. With some luck he can pick up the trail home and speed this trip up… Speaking of Koda, the other pets! She hoped they were ok. She’d… she did not know what she’d do if one of Glitters pets got hurt. The mare has been hurt too much already. She had to make it up to Glitter somehow. Both of them had far too much lost time… so much to make up for. But now was not the place. When they were home they’d work more of it out.

• Hearthoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

glitter banner.png

Before she really had time to think about it Temy had come up under her and lifted her from the ground! Glitter could feel the strength pulsing from Temy's body and it instantly made her feel safe. She hadn't had to accept this much help from any pony...probably ever and that was well, if it was anypony else it would have been really tough. But things were different between her and Tempest. She already knew they cared for each and Glitter knew from what she'd done with the bear she would do anything for Temy. Somehow she knew the same to be true the other way around. 

Glitter shifted herself a little, finding a way to get comfortable enough laying across Temy's back. She shifted her head to rest on the other mare's neck, wrapped her front legs around Temy's shoulders and let her hind legs drape down her sides. Sure it was a little awkward but it had to be done. She didn't have the strength for any length of travel. She breathed in Temy's scent as the trotted out into the drifts, feeling comforted by the smell of mare, sweat, and the outdoors. 

Koda bounded out before then, prancing around and generally acting like a dog. He was however, also leading them in the direction of home. 

"Good boy Koda!" She encouraged the big guy as he bounded through the fresh drifts. 

Glitter didn't talk much as the traveled. She worried about the burden she was on her friend, literally at the moment. But Temy never faltered or slowed. She was as strong as anypony she'd ever known. At least in the physical sense. She'd heard the strain in her voice talking about her past though. You couldn't be strong in all ways. Glitter hoped she could show Temy that she could be trusted. 

On they went until a few hours had gone by. The cabin was probably only an hour or so out from where they were. 

"You need to stop for a break?" She muttered softly to Temy as they trotted through a stand of trees. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As the hours passed Tempest pushed on. Past the biting cold. Past the deep snow. A wordless march as she followed Koda with eyes sharp, ears alert to all around her. In a way this moment felt like something she has been made for. Forged out of hardships and so many years alone. A filly lost in a world so big, so endless without the training or skills to make it. Yet she did. From blood, sweat and tears. All the pain. All the suffering. All the times she cried alone. For a time she believed it was all leading up to her joining in the Storm King.  His flag was going to save her. Yet it did not and like so many times she was cast down to go at it alone. Yet maybe… This was why. The mare on her back was there at the start and maybe she marked the end as well. Good or bad she can not say. Just she knew deep in her heart this was ending one book and soon a new one will open. What lies head in its pages? She did not know but the ink was on her hooves.

When Glitter spoke it snapped her out of her thinking. Flicking an ear she thanked for a moment. “No. I’m fine. Need too keep going.” She says, tired as she was, rest can come later. “How are you holding up? Do you need me to stop?” She asked, turning her head around to gently nuzzle at the mare holding on to her. Worry still clung to her. A fear of losing… Glitter. She can’t place the root of such feelings but deep down she was scared that something was going to take Glitter away and leave her alone again. She didn't want to be alone.

• Hearthoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

glitter banner.png

She'd never felt so safe. There was something about Tempest, something that brought her fears to ease. She was a pillar of strength on the outside even if the inside didn't match. The nuzzle made Glitter feel warm despite the freezing cold of the wasteland they traveled through. 

"No, I think it's best to keep going." She tried to rearrange herself. Having her head lower than her heart was not good. It made her injury throb and ache. She was able to settle once her chin found Tempest's crest. She pushed through the mohawk of mane and closed her good eye.

"It's not too much further. Couple hours at most I think." She let out a breath and it crystallized in the air. 

Up ahead Koda began barking. There was a stream up there, large enough to pose a bit of a threat. It was iced over however and with the amount of cold would probably support he weight of at leas tone pony...

• Hearthoof 1

• 1 month later...

Tempest flicked her ears when she felt Glitter nuzzling in to her mane as a resting place for the mare's head. It made her chuckle some but she did not stop it. Glitter needed the rest, she can live with her mane messed up. “Good.” She remarked, pushing on ahead in the deep snow. She wanted to lay down by a fireplace. Nap. Rest. Take a warm bath. Yet so much had too be done. Soon as she got Glitter home they’d need too get help. A doctor to look her over. Get her set up. Safe. Then rest. The day was long from over even if the sun sets fast this far north. 

Soon they were at a steam. It was small but too wide to leap over. Too deep to trust the ice. No way they can drown but getting wet at all in this cold was deadly. Tempest looked it over, then eyed up some trees. “Close your eyes.” She says as her horn sparked to life with magic as she aimed at a tree. With the roar of thunder an arch of magic ripped in to the base, wood shattered and exploded as the tree groaned and fell before slowing as magic flowed over it. Tempest gritted her teeth, horn showering her in sparks as the tree moved over to the steam and fell down over it making a path. Next her magic moved to the branches, ripping and blasting them off with the smell of ash and smoke. It was not the first time she’s done this. “You can open them now.”

With that she leaps up on the tree and walks to the other side, calling Koda to follow them over.

• 2 weeks later...

glitter banner.png

Glitter heard the gurgling of the stream as they neared it. She lifted her head a little and shushed Koda. They didn't need to draw any attention to themselves. Who knew what else could be lurking out here... things they certainly didn't need to contend with! She glanced over the scene, her mind working try to figure out a workable solution. 

"Close your eyes." 

Tempest told her and the mare complied, not asking why. She didn't need to and she realized with that simple move how much she really did trust Temy. Enough for her to do something just at the asking and with no thought of asking why. With her eyes closed, she used her other senses to figure her way through what was happening. There was that unmistakable crackle. The use of the broken horn. It grated in her ears, with the knowledge of her part in it but still there was some confidence. Temy could wield magic with it nonetheless. Burning, cracking, smoking. She could sense that Koda was moving away from the sudden chaos. it was a good choice for him. If she hadn't totally trusted the unicorn she would have done the same. 

After a few more seconds she was bid to open her eyes and stayed where she was as she was carried across the newly formed bridge. She glanced down at the cracked and splintered remains of the tree as they made their way safely across. Tempest's magic was still strong and she knew the slow mending of her heart would only make her that much more powerful eventually.

With Koda now following at their heels the pressed on through the snow drifts. It felt like hours and her head had begun to throb. She tried to rest it up as high as she could on Temy's neck, to keep it from pounding as best she could. Then, much later she lifted her head.

"I know this trail. We're nearly there!" 

It was a relief for certain! Her cabin was only a few minutes trot away now!

• Hearthoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Was it bad she can’t feel her legs? Probably. But she didn't have the time for that. A funny thing with being tired is if you keep going, keep pushing you stop feeling tired. Just num. She felt so very num now. The world was passing by like a dream. No focuses, nothing staying. Shapes passed and she forgot them. She did not have much to say nore did Glitter it seems. Maybe for the best. 

And so she keeps walking. Tall legs plowing a path in the snow as ice built up around her nose, clinging her fut and eyelashes. What was it like to just lay down in it? She came close a few times as a filly. Covered in snow and ice all alone. But she was not alone now. Far from it. Even in the cold she felt a beacon of warmth resting on her back, hugging her neck and resting on her head. It was not just the warmth of another body. No this was a deeper warmth that gently blew life in to soldering embers that were so close to fading away in to nothing. A warmth that made her remember there was more to life than her suffering. She remembered playing, laughing, rolling about and smiling in a way only a filly can. The thing about happiness is that you only know you had it when it's gone. At the time she never did think about it. Ya, she ‘felt’ happy but never really believed it. That filly felt she’d be more happy with other things. When she was the captain of the guard. When she was on top. When she is doing her own thing as an adult mare. She was so focused on the petty bullcrap, school, or whatever that she never knew she was happy. It's only looking back, by comparison with what comes after, that she really understands. That's what happiness felt like. Real happiness free from all the burdens strapped to every inch of her body. Can she ever feel it again? Was it even possible? She didn't really know. Not yet. But it made her wish she was Koda. Or just some other dog at all. Playing, running without a care in the world as every pony loves them. What she’d give to live that life for a day. They knew real happiness and unlike her never toss it away for stupid petty horse crap. If only.

"I know this trail. We're nearly there!" 

Flicking an ear she was snapped out of her own mind space and back to reality. They were on a trail, one Glitter knew. “About time.” She remarked, pushing herself down the path. “When I drop you off I will head out for a doctor, where’s the closest one?” She asked. She wanted to speed up, move faster but her legs were unwilling. Looking up at the setting sun she knew darkness will be here soon and the cold will be even worse. Will she even make it too a doctor if she did this?

• Hearthoof 1

• 5 months later...

glitter banner.png

There was a doctor, not too far from her cabin. She'd made sure of the medical locations before moving in. Glitter knew how to survive but knowing how and where to get assistance when needed for herself or others was an essential. She felt the unicorn under her, carrying her on undaunted. Nothing seemed to be able to slow Temy down in this quest. Her heart was so stronger, stronger than she knew. But Glitter felt she knew, and she'd help Temy find her own strength after a time.

They neared the cabin now. She could see it through the trees. Before they knew it they were home. Well, she was home and she hoped Temy would come to call where ever they were together home too. 

"Down the road, a few minutes trot. There's another cabin. A medic lives there." Glitter spoke haltingly as the pain in her face was beginning to increase. "I'll stay here," She spoke softly.

• Hearthoof 1

Tempest was greeted with a swarm of pets as she pushed the door open to the cabin, dogs, cats and others were trying to greet her and see their missing mommy. It made it somewhat hard to get inside but she pushed in and shut the door, rushing to the couch she gently pulled Glitter off and put the mare down. “Stay put ok?” Tempest says as she looked Glitters over one more time, cold faced as the mare was, Glitter can read the worry and fear behind the cold eyes. And Tempest was still scared, has been. Will be.

She took in a deep breath and looked over at the fireplace, tossing a few logs in her magic sparked and crackled as the tember was set aflame. “There, some warmth. I will be back as soon as I can. I promise.” With that and one last long look at Glitters she slipped back outside in to the fast coming darkness. She hoped this medic was home, trotting to the city in the dark when it was this cold… Well, she’d pass that line if she had too. She’d pay the price if she had to. First things first was reaching the other cabin down the road. With that she pushed off, moving as swiftly as she could in the deep snow. 

Why did it feel like it was taking so long? Every moment felt too long. She was going too slow. Her legs felt like they were failing her… But she can’t feel them. That was a bad thing but she didn't care. What did it matter? She didn't matter.

Cabin. Door. Cold. A mare greeted her, spoke things but Tempest honestly did not hear much. She just yelled back. Glitter needed help. Hurt badly. Help, help now. The mare insisted she come inside, warm up. She refused, can’t. Not now. Not yet. Then came the rush back up the road, she left before the mare did. So slow. too slow… I'm so tired.

---

The bear was back. She ran, ran as fast as her small legs let her. But it was no use. She was never out running it. She was all alone. Helpless. Helpless to stop it. Helpless to stop the jaws closing in around her. Screaming all she can, every pony looked the other way as she heard the crunch.

---

She woke up screaming, blind panic making her jolt and flail as if she was in danger. All it did was make her fall off the couch in a heap. At least it woke her up, and the dozen pets running about the room away from her. Where was… “Glitter?” She tries to stand back up and falls down. Her legs felt jelly, her body hurt. “Glitter!?” She wanted to get up yet her body refused. She recognised the room, she was in… the living room of Glitters cabin. Did she make it back? Was glitter ok? Did the doctor make it here? The room was dark, the windows casting nothing but the glow of the moon and stars. It was still night… or was it the next night? She didn't know.

• Hearthoof 1