[Canterlot University]A Missing Ledger (Attn: Blueblood)

IceStorm

a6YIyFf.png

Life at Canterlot University was... Different at best for Medō. She was away from her friends, away from her family, and so far hadn't done very well in the making new friends category. This was partly in fact that she spent most of her time studying trying to get everything she needed done as quick as she could. It wasn't that she disliked Equestria... It was more that she wanted to go home. She missed her sister and only ever got to see her during holidays and end of year. One thing her time did do was smooth out her accent a bit. Her Equestrian now sounded much more authentic than broken and conversation came easy for her as long as the talk about herbs.

She currently found herself sitting at the desk in her dorm looking over advanced herbal medicine V and how to combine different medicines that she'd already made without causing negative drawbacks. Such herbal remedies could be useful for treating multiple symptoms and issues at once and most of them made sense to her. She was also experimenting herself by following the instructions in the books but she wouldn't know until later when she could show them to the instructor till know if she did it right. All looked like was a pill and the instructor would have to dissolve the pill to know if it had been mixed properly. She was excited and was eagerly awaiting class.

• Like 1

Feng Banner.png

So.... Canterlot University.  The trails all led here.

The Empress Yu Yue was finally starting to come into her own as ruler of Long Guo, and as part of that had conducted several audits of the Imperial Bureaucracy, in order to make the operations of government fully transparent to her and her inner council.  As the Bureaucracy had a continuity that outlasted entire dynasties, it had a bit of a bad habit of keeping the Emperor/Empress in the dark about its operations, often continuing projects begun by long-dead rulers regardless of the wishes of the current administration.

*It was honestly kind of funny watching them squirm as we read out the budget line-by-line.*  The Imperial Finance Bureau had been saved for last, and boy had that been a trip.  Feng Yinhaitao had felt privileged to be at the Empress' side as she exercised her power.  Was it too much to say that she flexed?  That might be there mere impressions of an idolizer.  Nonetheless, quite a few legacy expenses were left on the cutting room floor (though, to be sure, one or two were also added that would no doubt bedevil future Imperial administrations).

That left only one thing unaccounted for, a small but non-trivial annual payment, one of the last things the prior Emperor had specifically requested.  Discretion had been specified, to the point where not even the financial long sun had been able to tell their Empress what it was for.  Well, unknowns were dangerous, and who better to look into the dangers of the unknown than Empress Yue's Famously Fearless Feng?

Of course, there was the slight issue of Feng actually being famous in Equestria, having taken top prize as an international contestant in the previous Iron Pony competition.  Hence, his decision to break out the old undercover gear.  Mane dye, scale scrubber, contacts, the works.  Thus, when he stepped on campus, his green mane and tail were now a dark blue, while his shiny golden scales were now more a dirty bronze.  A pair of contacts made his striking red eyes a less-striking hazel, and the whole thing was capped off with a conservative business suit completing the look of a foreign, but not interestingly exotic, longma bureaucrat here to check up on the expenses.

He'd traced the expense to this university, and only a little checking had revealed that the amount was equal to the room, board, tuition, and book cost of a student here.  So it was an Imperial Scholarship, but of whom?

Surprisingly, the registrar had been forthcoming.  Having simply asked how the student here on the Imperial Scholarship was doing, he'd been given not only Medo's name and description, but her full transcript as well.  But that still left the question as to why the old Emperor had been so generous to her, one which only one pony could answer.  And that was the pony upon who's door Feng was currently knocking....

• Hearthoof 1

~~~Medō Asai~~~

The knock at the door came at a startle for Medō. After all, she hasn't been expecting any visitors and her dorm mate had a key. She'd have no reason to knock. She collected herself and then looked at the herbal pills that were in front of her and sighed. She say then asked for a moment so she could she who this was and what they wanted. With any luck, they were a solicitor and she could tell them that she wasn't interested and move on. Would take no time at all and she could get back to work.

What she saw though when she answered the door though wasn't what she was expecting at all. It was a longma!!! And it didn't look to be one from the school. In fact, he looked a bit older. His scales looked like an aged bronze, with a brown coat, and a blue make and tail. She'd never seen this pony before in her life, but if he wasn't a student here, then he was looking for someone. The fact that he knocked on her door meant that he was looking for either her, or somepony that she knew. She had to admit through, the suit made him look quite dapper. 

"Hello... Is there something I can help you with?" she asked wondering more as well if perhaps the pony was lost and just looking for directions. Canterlot University got a lot of prestigious guests since she's been here and she can say from first hoof experience... It was really easy to get lost if you aren't used to the layout already.

Feng bowed, in response to the open door, a traditional greeting.  "Good morning, Medo-san."  He hoped that was the correct honorific, but it wouldn't be fatal to his cover if it weren't.  "My name is Kong Fui, from the Imperial Bureau of Finance."  He watched her face carefully for reactions to that title.  He didn't necessarily suspect malfeasance, but if there was any bilking of the Treasury going on here, Empress Yue would want to know.  "I've been tasked with checking up on a few things, do you mind if I come in to ask you some questions?"

~~~Medo Asai~~~

When the Long had introduced himself, Medo kind of cocked her head to the side. What in the name of Equestria did the Imperial Bureau of Finance possibly want with her? She wasn't wealthy by any means so there wasn't any possible way for her to even thing of trying to fudge numbers or anything to try to work a system. She'd first have to be able to have bits to even attempt! Plus there was the fact that she wasn't that kind of mare. To try to take advantage of something and cheat other ponies out of what they had worked hard for was beneath her and her family. In fact if she ever considered even thinking about that she was sure her family would disown her. When he further addressed the fact that he had been tasked on checking up on a few things, she arched an eyebrow once more. However the fact that he had addressed her by name and honorific meant that she was definitely the mare that he was looking for even if his information was off.

With that in mind, she stayed polite and respectful and when he asked to come inside, she nodded and lead him inside. "Please come in... I'll try to answer whatever questions that you have, but know that I will have questions as well... I can't really say that I was expecting you, so I don't know what you're doing here, o what you'd have to do with me... Nor have I really cleaned up a bit. If I knew I would be getting a visitor, I would have," she commented. If Kong would look around the room though, he would see that aside from her desk where she had obviously been tampering with herbs, the rest of the dorm was near spotless. She definitely kept well hygiene in order.

Bowing his head once again as he entered, Feng made his way into the middle of the apartment, trained eyes scanning the place for clues as to its owner's character.  Honestly, the dorm spoke well of Medo; there was evidence both of academic and personal diligence, to the point where he was willing to conclude that resources were not being totally wasted.  The mare was getting an education, and making the most of it.

"That will be no problem, I am used to messier surprise visits."  Boy howdy, was that an understatement.  Being a Watcher meant often breaking into the inner chambers of scum and villainy.  He took a seat opposite her, where he could get a good look of both her facial tics and body language.  She had been shown to be reserved and sincere, which if continued boded well for his mission.  "You are here on a scholarship, correct?  A full ride, I understand.  That testifies to the faith that one had in your abilities; but are you connected to your sponsor in any other way?"

~~~Medo Asai~~~

Medo watched as the longma made his way into her room and began to, what she could presume, was meticulously go over everything that was wrong with her room. Some of the books on her shelves were out of order considering that she was still using a couple of them but that was no excuse to put them up in haste! When he told her that he was used to messier visits, and that this would be perfectly acceptable for their little meeting. He took a seat across from her and she sat down as well as he started talking about the scholarship that she was given. Almost instantly she felt like maybe she had done something wrong. He asked what connection that she had to the sponsor. She tilted her head a bit.

"I am here on a scholarship program... and am hopeful to remain here on it... If I have done something that could lead to the revoking of said scholarship... then I pray you inform me of what I've done or haven't done so that I could fix it... If my family found out.... I'd never be able to see them again... And I can honestly tell you that I have absolutely no clue who gave me the scholarship. All I know is that I got a letter in the mail and it said that all expenses were paid, and what my start date was. I got this letter about a month or two after the Emperor left after I found the herbs to help his sick filly get better," Medo answered.

As Feng listened to Medo relate her answer, he held a serious look on his face, with forehooves steepled under his muzzle.  He held this look for a solid two or three seconds after she finished, in silence, before it cracked.  But he couldn't hold out forever, and with a sound like a ruptured air pipe, the visage of the 'career bureaucrat' was broken by the grin of a lifelong rogueish troublemaker.  A hastily placed hoof failed to stop a strangled laugh from coming out, and he had to expectorate a few chuckles before he could speak again.

"Wow... seriously, you're smart enough to come here, but couldn't put two and two together after that?"  He broke out in laughter fully now, his voice now returned to something closer to a normal register for him.  He suspected that she'd never stated the story so succinctly before, and thus had never an opportunity to actually utter her last sentence, but with that one statement, she'd cleared up the whole situation for him.  "Now why couldn't the old qilin have just made a note, and saved me the trouble of the trip, and the treasury of the expense?"

~~~Medo Asai~~~

Medo's ears folded back a bit when she heard the longma start laughing at hey and she turned her head away from him, grimacing a bit more with each chuckle that left his mouth. She felt embarrassed and just wanted to be done with the interview now... He likely didn't believe anything she said, and should probably start packing her things as soon as he left. Then he stated that she was smart enough to come to a place like this, but not able to put two and two from her story together. This didn't help her self esteem and she just remained quiet.

When she heard hey mention about the old Kirin leaving a note for him in the ledger instead of making him take a trip and using the treasury for the expenses. She arches an eyebrow looking back at him... She sighed looking back to him, getting her voice back, although a bit more irritated than it was a few moments ago. "Well, I mean I always presumed, but there was never any evidence, and nopony would give me any information on it! And a pony just doesn't claim to be on a full ride from a Royal figure without proof," she said taking a deep breath and then sighed.

Feng's laugh eventually subsided, and he raised a hoof to brush a tear away from the corner of his eye.  "I'm sorry, It's just... do you have any idea how much of a tizzy Imperial Bureaucrats get when they can't account for a line-item expense?  Especially when the Empress herself is conducting the audit?  I'm just remembering the looks on their faces... and imagining what's going to happen when I finally reveal what it was!"

Taking a deep breath, he settled back in the chair, still smiling, but less jocular.  "You have any idea how much I've wanted to meet you?  I- we all, owe you a thanks for saving Yu Yue's life.  I know she herself has often wanted to see you again, but we couldn't find you!  And now we know why."

• Like 1

~~~Medo Asai~~~

As the Long continued. It seemed more that he wasn't laughing at her as he was the situation. He went on to explain that the empress herself was doing an audit on the finances and he was remembering the looks on the imperial Beaurecrats faces when they couldn't explain what the missing funds were. Only that they were going to her. He further added that they had been wanting to meet her for a while now and could never find her. She arched an eyebrow.

"Well I wasn't exactly trying to hide or anything. We ran into each other once while I was here a few years ago. I recognized hey, but I don't know if she recognized me. It was during the gala a couple of years ago. Although I am surprised that absolutely no pony else was told about me. I'm just a humble farm mare. There really isn't anything to keep a secret about," Medo responded to him still trying to figure things out. Though by his response, she figured a trip to Long was going to be in her near future. Surely get instructors would give her leave if she was summoned by they empress herself.

• Like 1

Feng blinked, he recalled the gala, but he had been on hidden security detail at the time, and his assigned monitoring area hadn't intersected with Medo's itinerary.  "Hm, I suppose she didn't, or at least, didn't tell me about it."  It was a surprisingly casual thing for an Imperial Bureaucrat to say about the Empress, as if he were in a position to listen to her confidences.  "I really don't understand the secrecy myself either, but it's good to get that all cleared up now, at the very least!"

Now fully relaxed, Feng shifted himself in his seat to let his wings unfurl out to the sides.  Like pegasi, longma felt most comfortable if a little air could circulate underneath.  "I suppose details about visits can be worked out with your instructors; no reason not to wait for a semester break, in any case.  That said, do you still have any questions for me?  It's really only fair, since I dropped in on you so unexpectedly."

~~~Medo Asai~~~

When the Longma replied to her, it became apparent that he was a part of the inner circle of ponies that surrounded the Empress. She could also notice that was relaxing a bit more and was quite a bit more... Not laughing at her. Still though, thinking about the comment she could easily why he could come to that conclusion. He added, once he made himself more comfortable, that the arrangements of her visits could be worked out with her instructors, and that there was no reason that they couldn't be in between semester breaks. She was a little apprehensive about that cause it would take more time away from her family. At the same time though, this way royalty, and the ones that were footing her bill here. They had the right to know who they were paying to get an education. When he asked if she had any questions, she paused in thought. 

"I have a couple," Medo started. "The first being what kind of crisis is Long in that required such a fine tuned audit to begin with. I've been here for a few years now and will actually be graduating soon, and this is the first time anypony from Long or Neighpon alike that want family in regards to the situation. I suppose I also need to ask what will become of me once I graduate? I can't imagine the Emperor would do all this without some sort of contengency. What would also become of my family in Neighpon?" It was just a start to all the questions she had that she could now get answered, but she didn't want to overwhelm him either. If he was just a financial advisor, he may not have all of her answers.

Settled back, smiling easily, Feng met Medo's questions with the breezy familiarity of an old friend.  "No real crisis, a general audit is just part of the succession process.  Keeps the bureaucracy from turning the Jade Throne into their own plaything, you know?  You have to do one at least once every generation to make sure that everything is in line and accounted for.  Dynasties have been ruined by letting things get out of hoof, so this is more a measure to prevent crises and root out nascent corruption.  Hence, why line-items with no stated purpose are looked into.

"As for future plans..."  Feng shrugged.  "The last Emperor who set up your scholarship didn't write any down, so as far as we know, it was probably just a reward out of gratitude.  The offhand and informal way it was set up seems in line with that."  Being a Watcher meant being an on-the-fly analyst as well as a spy and warrior-guardian.  "But that was then; I don't know what Empress Yue will say.  I don't think she'll add any strings to the offer, but if you want a position within Long Guo, you're pretty much guaranteed it, I'd say."

~~~Medo Asai~~~

Medo felt a bit of relief when she heard that there was no real crisis that had spurred the audit, but rather proactive crisis prevention. That this happened whenever the dynasties changed to make sure there wasn't any corruption within the ranks. It was why line by line items with no purpose were looked into. He also added that the old emperor didn't see anything else up with her scholarship but basically assured her that if she wanted a position in Long Guo, she was pretty much guaranteed it. 

"Well. That is relieving at least that nothing has troubled the nation enough to spur such an intensive situation. I can respect the empress for making sure everything is in check. That being said, I suppose that would depend on what positions are available at the end of the year. I don't want to run somepony else out of their spot. That being said, where is Long at right now in terms of herbal medicine? What kind of resources and herbs are available in that region? What's the most common sickness there? Perhaps while I'm here I can work on something that would treat some of the specific ailments that plague long and Neighpon both," she asked. 

This was somewhat beyond Feng's paygrade, or technically below it.  He didn't actually know how much the infirmary head was paid; should he ask her?  "Hm, I have to confess that I don't know the answer to any of these questions.  I'd say that we lead the world in herbal medicine, but that might just be normal patriotic exaggeration.  I could introduce you to a few experts at the palace that can give you a better picture of the situation, but beyond that, I'm afraid I can't help you."

He stretched out, wings flapping.  Sitting still for so long wasn't exactly comfortable to him; if Medo was skilled in reading body language, she would be able to tell that he was typically a very active stallion.  "Any other questions?"

~~~Medo Asai~~~

Medo nodded as the Long mentioned that he didn't have the answer to any of the questions that she had asked and would have to recommend her to some of the experts in the palace for her to get the full picture of what their advances are. That he'd love to say they were the most advanced in herbal medicine, but that was mostly out of patriotic exaggeration rather than any factual evidence that he could provide. She then noticed how restless he was getting and was quickly made apparent that he was usually more active than just sitting and asking and answering questions.

"I understand. I wasn't honestly sure how much information you had on those topics, but never hurts to ask in any event. I still have a few more questions for you, but if you would prefer we could continue this discussion through on of the campus parks. I presume the need for discretion is not longer prominent so and further discussion I would believe has no reason to be confidential or be hidden in any way," she said standing up waiting to see if her readings of him were spot on or not.

It was with a palpable degree of relief that Feng got to his hooves.  "Thank you very much, Medo.  Or Arigato, in your native tongue?  I have had some opportunity to pick up on your native language."  He smiled, proving her readings of him right as he followed her out the door.  "It is, I hope, no offense to you, but staying in that room reminded me too much of involuntary periods of confinement to the palace infirmary.  Not an unpleasant place to stay, but a dull one.  I am told that enduring such blank times is a discipline of the mind, but I cannot say that it is one suited to my temperament."

~~~Medo Asai~~~

"It's no problem at all. I could tell that you were feeling rather confined, and Neighponese is one of the hardest languages to learn so I've heard. Getting offended if something isn't exactly right is trivial and creates unneeded stress on the body. That stress can open doors for more stress related illnesses because it actually weakens your immune system," Medo commented.

"Not to mention a breath of air is always good for ones health and starting confined to a single space can further lead to a build up of stress as you've probably personally experienced. I know that personally I enjoy some of the calling aspects of being alone with a book, but I can clearly see how it could be stressful to others," she continued.

"That said, I'm the event that I do end up accepting a position in the castle, it would be privy to get to know some of the other staff that I would be working with. Considering you're in charge of the finances, it would be likely that I would be working with you on a regular basis. What are some of the things that fancy your interest?" she asked with a smile gesturing out of the dorm with an after him mentality.

Feng chuckled, "I wish the Empress could hear you talk about the health risks of stressing over trivialities, though no doubt she would have a ready retort about how anything she happened to be worried about was, in fact, a point upon which the whole Jade Throne rested.  It's not so much a matter of controlling one's stress, really, as it is of keeping things in perspective.  We cannot help but focus our anxieties upon what we perceive as important and at risk."  Almost as if he felt a little embarrassed about his wanderings in philosophical medicine, he shrugged, slowing his pace on the way to the college park.  "But, then, in my line of business, trivial things do often mean something important going on beneath, so who am I to say?  I crossed the ocean to account for a budget line-item!"

There were more clouds than blue visible in the sky, but the sun was not yet fully obscured.  Some students were out, but it was not the sort of day which presented unanswerable temptations to shirk lectures or studying.  Feng tested the grass a bit with his hooves, before taking a trotting start into a takeoff, circling above Medo for one or two loops before coming back to hover beside her.  "Ahhh, that's much better.  Now, it's actually not all that likely that we would see each other again, if you didn't specifically seek me out.  The Palace complex is practically it's own city; the inner circle of those who the Empress meets with directly all know each other, but besides that?  Not even the Empress knows everyone.  But if you're interested, I am usually outdoors on my off hours.  I enjoy long flights, or even taking an hour or two on the training grounds.  You wouldn't think it too look at me, eh?"

He smiled, though in the back of his mind he began to feel his disguise mentality slip.  He really needed to leave soon, lest he blow his whole cover.  The lack of danger he could sense around this place was really dulling his instincts...

Edited by PrinceBlueblood

~~~Medo Asai~~~

Medo noted the ambassador's reaction when she started talking about the health risks of excess stress. He said that it wasn't so much stress as it was keeping things in perspective. That it was only natural to focus they're anxieties on a particular issue that they feel is of importance. He also added that in his line of employment, something small could be party of a larger grand sum, home the reason he crossed the ocean to check am unaccounted line item. 

It's them she noted the weather. Today it was actually closer to what it was back home. Significant cloud cover was built up in the sky which probably means that pegasi were planning rain soon. It was also cooler, reminding her off the feel she got back home in the mountains. She watched as the longma too to the skies to search his wings a bit. When he landed, he told hey that as large as the palace was, it would be unlikely for them to actually see each other there again unless she saught him out. She shook her head.

"You under estimate just how often that could be with the medical field. If they are advancing the way they are supposed to be and using the herbs to those fill potential, then the nurses and doctors should be approaching to to make sure what they hope to accomplish is budgeted. That would make it fast more likely for us to run into another because of that fact alone. I'm not one to sit back and let things stagnate. I'm always looking to push the envelope of herbal medicine so that we can treat almost any illness with it. I also already have numerous numbing salves for any major injuries while they go through the healing process," she commented as he said he was mostly an outdoors pony. She nodded herself. 

"Likewise. My special talent actually attracts me to the herbs that I need for whatever I'm working on in their natural environment, provided I'm close enough to sense them. Which most of the time, just about the size of Ryushima," Medo replied. "And honestly, you don't like that or of shape." She added.

• Like 1

Feng had to laugh at the suggestion that medical lobbying would bring them back together.  He had to, in order to obscure the real reason she wouldn't find him in the financial bureau... "As big as the Forbidden City is, there's not near enough space for all those who desire its attention or resources.  Generally speaking, requests are sent in writing, and dealt with by specialized quill-pushers.  And I'm practically never in that wing."

With the spontaneous ease of the active athlete, he suddenly swooped up towards an overhanging branch to perch upon it.  "I do try to keep myself together, yes.  Though, the biggest risk to my health often comes from over-activity than under-activity, if you catch my drift.  I'm thinking that I ought to apply for a job that involves more field-work, to be honest.  It would suit me more, you think?"

~~~Medo Asai~~~

There it was again, that laugh. This time though she was able to shrug it off again as he answered her. She supposed that made a bit of sense that everything was sent via paper, especially if the Forbidden City was as large as he was saying it was. In a sense though, it didn't surprise her the more that she thought about it. The palace would probably want those that worked in it to live around it, and they would probably want those ponies well protected so they would be within the walled confines of the palace. It just made sense. "I suppose that makes sense, especially if the financial bureau was running the finances for the entirety of Long and not just for the finances of the palace. That would make things a lot more tedious and a lot of cross referencing that would be enough to drive anypony insane," she commened watching him take off once more with a fair amount of ease as he perched himself on a branch. Well, at least he was branching out a bit, she giggled at her own thought.

He further added that his primary health risk was from over-activity rather than under-activity, He also said that he was thinking about applying for a job that involved more field work said that it would suit him more. He asked what she thought on the matter. "Well, provided that I do end up on the medical staff at some point in the future, I will likely require several expeditions to get some of the herbs that I need to create the different medicines I'll need to treat ailments. Myself being strictly a healer It wouldn't hurt to have some muscle when I went on them if that would be more of your thing?" she asked him. She knew that more often than not, acquiring some of the more potent herbs to make more powerful remidies often meant going into dangerous places. Finding the herbs she could do without problem. That was her talent after all. However, finding them and getting to them, was two completely different things.

Feng nodded, his mind rapidly putting together what he would call his 'exit strategy.'  Having accomplished his mission, protocol was to come home ASAP, as lingering longer incognito would continue to create loose ends that the curious would no doubt follow-up on.  And, in the most ironic way, cleaning up loose ends was often the messiest part of his job... "That's pretty standard.  I know the head of the palace infirmary certainly doesn't like going out on expeditions without a guard since having to be rescued from some bandits.  She speaks very highly of one guard; if I don't end up accompanying you myself, I probably will see if I can send him your way, at least."

There, that about covered the next time they would meet, should he be meeting her as himself.  Taking a look off towards the west, he could see the clouds begin to take a pinkish hue.  "Huh, that late?  Well, might be time I was getting back; the hotels near the University were a bit too expensive to justify on my expense report."  Opportunity for exit established, time to make the graceful farewell.  Looking down at Medo, he smiled, with pure warmth unsullied by humor.  "It was truly an honor and delight to meet you; a dedicated healer is an uplifting pony in and of herself, even before she applies any herbs."