You'll need more than just your tongue... (ATTN: Dusty)

Blueblood

Well Niilavin was aware of his masters flirting with guards he was… more so unaware of how common that was it seems. To go far as to have an Empress marry one of her own soldiers? It was outlandish in how utterly taboo such a concept even was! And made his angel of attack to taunt and fluster his master uncomfortably realistic given such news. So when he was given a door to utterly switch topics he did as soon as possible. “[Feudalism… Even with the gift of the spell that word… hangs on me. It seems so strange in my head. But I feel it fits? Such is magic at times. I think the closest I gave was the queen found to the east of my old master. She was Queen and King, as they must have a king so… She made herself King. Every declared herself married to herself so she needed no other. Placed both crowns on her head. She was an odd one… Oh! How can one forget, the king of kings! Hah! He sat as head of just one city. In times long past it used to be the heart of an empire but such times were old stories even when I was there.]” He was in a rambling, he knew he was.

But he’d rather ramble about the ‘past’ then sit on the fact he was now preening his master's wings in a place where courting such like this was hardly taboo. He just walked himself in to courting her without even knowing. So with luck she will let him walk back out of it? One can hope. What was that saying about cats and fire?

Bluebelle nodded, her mind readily accepting the complexity of the situation Niil presented.  Despite appearances, the unicorn had a good deal of legal education, not enough to serve in a firm, mind you, but enough to navigate the sometimes unintuitive puzzle called the Law of Equestria.  A distinction between a legal and social title was easy enough, though sufficient to distract from the... feelings his preening inspired.  "And to think, ponies here called me a narcissist!"  She giggled, even managing a purr a this time as he recounted a tale of self marriage.  "And I do feel for the poor fellow in that city, I know what it is to have titles that... don't quite fit modern conditions.  'Prince' or 'Princess' is just an abbreviation of my official title, you know; in our old, Roaman tongue it is Primus inter Pares, translates to 'First Among Equals.'  The unicorn tribe used to consist of great houses that styled themselves as equal powers, but in practice had to follow leadership of some sort, so had House Platinum be the hereditary head of the tribe.  Ruling took delicacy, since she didn't technically have absolute power... but nonetheless, she still had more than I do today.

"Today, real power lies in the hooves of Auntie Celestia and Luna, whose titles are Sol Invictus and Lux Tenebrae, respectively.  Those mean 'the Unconquered Sun' and 'The Light out of Darkness,' which carry considerably more weight than mine."  She sighed, flapping her wings in pensiveness.  The stiffness seemed to have gone out of them, finally.  "That said... consitutionally speaking, the Crown of Equestria still rests upon the sovereignty of the Tribes all agreeing to delegate their powers to a collective Alicorn rulership.  If representative figures from all three tribes who fill equivalent positions to the Founders were to unanimously agree... they could legally revoke all Royal Prerogative and reserve the powers of government to themselves."

• Like 1

“[And they haven't done that?]” Niilavin asked, taken back by this. “[That’s almost unbelievable. Even the most fair and stable empires have fallen thanks to the unwashed masses being upset and wanting more freedom. Every pony wishes to be king soon as they get a scrap of power. To think three leaders stand at the doors of their own empires with one vote but have not is… insanity. And do not tell me they do it out of love or peace. I have seen far too much sand cast to red by the peasants taking up arms for Independence regardless of how suicidal such Independence may be for them. Even in war! Seen it first paw! Another kingdom in the heat of war with my old master was ripped apart by Independence wars that got them all killed. The stability of this empire is confusing to me, I can not understand why it has not ripped itself apart.]” He shakes his head, looking over at the maids as one gently tugs at his tail then asks him to move in to more shallow water so they may reach more of him. With A shrug he did so, keeping his master held up with one leg and paw. Taking some care to keep her comfortable. 

Done moving for the maids he got back to his task. Gently nuzzling in to the next wing he gets to work preening and grooming the fake wing with all the care of a real one. It was a shame they were fake… It was rather cathartic for him to groom another. It was a social interaction missing from his life for an awfully long time. As embarrassing as it is, this was extremely relaxing. On top of helping him bound better with this new master. Grooming was such an important part of social life for a sphinxes after all. Maybe he wanted this more than he was willing to admit. Not that he ever will, less he gives his new master more ammo. But maybe he can fuss less about baths after all.

• Like 1

It wasn't until times like these that Blue realized the gap in social experience between her and Niilavin.  How could one explain, succinctly, what the history of Equestria was and how it affected the current culture of the nation?  Especially to one that had no context for either.  Perhaps the best way was the shortest, "Well, you have to factor in immortal rulers with literal power over the heavenly bodies, not just mortals with pretentions to divine grandeur."  She purred at a particularly nice nuzzle between her shoulder blades.  "The whole story of our founding is how we must choose to either be friends with each other, or perish alone.  Such is the story, but the fact of the matter is, war is expensive, and peace is profitable.  But we are ruled by one who remembers the time before the time of plenty, um."  She could feel herself losing the thread of thought; her wings just felt too good, darn it!

"I guess what I'm saying is, the masses love their alicorns, genuinely love them.  They're not going to back a rebellion, and if I tried, I would be... well, you've seen what happens to traitors, no doubt."  Finally pulling herself out from under his ministrations, she stretched with a pleased groan, arching her back with a hiss.  "Ahhh, thank you.  That felt very nice; I can understand why pegasi love it so much.  All winged creatures do, apparently.  Speaking of which, do you mind bending down so I can get on your back, return the favor?"

Niilavin Thought on it for a few moments then replied to Blue. “[Is it funny how every empire holds some founding story? How many claimed facts lost in time as the truth of their rule eternal. From my old master to now such things never change. Blood lines, flags and lands that by some power given from above or below must go on. From what I have seen every last eternal empire or kingdom from my age is dead. I can not say what you have is unstable, far from it. But in time even the ‘immortal’ leaders of an eternal empire shall be moot ashes of the past. Given time the united face of this land will shatter and break. But if I am so lucky I shall not see such an age… War can be very profitable. Sometimes it alone keeps an empire alive. Its real cost is never gold or silver Master. It's History.”] He remakes with a roll of his shoulders, this talk with master was very enjoyable. As they talked he almost forgot what he was doing, just grooming and preening his master with a soft rolling purr of enjoyment as they share in the relaxed moment. He’s not truly gotten much time to do this. Relax and just speak, open and uncaring of the world with his new Master. He wished for more of it. 

When blue asked to repay the favour he felt a tad… flustered by it. In no small part from her looks. And the act itself. Well it was fun to fluster his master by playing with fake wings this was no trick or magic. And he’s had… none groom him other than his mother! But he was unwilling to speak up on this. It was not in his place to do soo. “[Fine, if you must. Do take care…]” He hums, letting his master free he moved more inland, laying down in the water with much of his back out of it. Stretching out so the maides may wash his paws and legs he opens one wing out for his master, taping the tip of the female ‘sphinxes’ nose. “[you shall be the first to partake in this act. Not counting my own mother of course. I never did get to court another sphinx before I was enslaved. It feels odd to allow you this honor. But alas you seem to be heart-locked on this… Just know if I leave gifts at the door it's in repayment.]” He says with a roll of his eyes.

"The key to a legitimacy narrative is not what it says about the past, but about the future.  Is there a future for one within it?  Is that future one worth living for?  Those are the relevant questions.  If too many answer 'no', then the regime cannot last."  Bluebelle mused, wondering if dwelling too long upon this topic would depress her too much.  Baths were supposed to be enjoyable experiences, darn it, not time for discussing political theory and the inevitable death of one's nation.  No, best to drop this subject and get up on Niilavin's back to return the grooming...

...Which appeared to not quite be the simple affair she had supposed.  "Well, if it comes to that, you were my first wing-groomer, and that includes my own mother.  And lovers."  She couldn't help but give a teasing little smile at being booped.  "It is merely paying an honor returned, as you well know~"  Pretty as her wings were, they weren't much help in scrambling over the sphinx's flank and haunch to get up on his back, then came the delicate walk to get in range of his wings.  "There we go, big guy, just relax.  I've done this before."  Indeed she had, often enough for the straightening and pruning that came with preening to be encoded into muscle memory.... and magic memory as well.  In fact, a full three pinfeathers were magically jostled and straightened before her conscious mind caught up to what she was doing.  "Hold on, I'm a sphinx now, aren't I?  How can I still do unicorn magic?"

• Like 1

Niilavin looked over his own back, arching an eyebrow at the female sphinx. “[What an odd thing to ask, did you forget so soon that I used magic on you? Last I saw a sphinx you were not born. Even if you do pass for one very well. When one uses magic all their life does it not just come to you? If you never thinked about such an act it shall not change well being a sphinx for we are as magic as any unicorn. Weaving my spells comes no harder than you picking up tea to sip on.]” He explained, and for the most part it was turthfull. Well Blue was using unicorn magic it is not hard to sell it as being much the same as sphinxes. After all both races were gifted with magic and well Niilavin’s school was different from Blues he knew first paw that a sphinx can use the same magics as a unicorn with time and training. 

“[It’s rather useful for you, may have been hard to do all my wing by muzzle alone… Fun as it may have been to watch.]” he added with a soft chuckle as he settled down and rested his head on his paws. The maids used this too wash and clean his face and muzzle. One brave maid even asked for the sphinx to open wide so she may inspect his lion's teeth.  An odd request but nonetheless one he accepted. Not every day a pony got to see a sphinx up close after all. But in time something they shall grow accustomed to.

True as Niilavin's words might have been, Bluebelle had only one in reply to them, "Horseapples."  A vulgar word for a Princess, delivered in a flat, unamused tone.  "Unicorns do magic using their horns as a focus.  I felt the power moving through my horn, which I'm not supposed to have in this form!  I mean, if I could still feel my... male... parts, you wouldn't say that I had actually, fully transformed into a female, now would you?"  Now that the illusion was becoming apparent, the magic was less able to fool Bluebelle, and it began to fizzle out.

"I'll admit," Bluebelle conceded, clicking her tongue as she moved back to preen the rest of his wing, "It's a good illusion spell; you do magic very well, though our scholars would be very interested in finding out how."  In fact... Niil was kind of overdue for an inspection by Twilight Sparkle, wasn't he?  Oh, and her friend Fluttershy would probably go... Gala on her if she didn't let the pegasus see a real live sphinx.

Looking down at her maids, she couldn't help but view with concern the one looking at Niil's open jaws.  "Er, we didn't a toothbrush.  Just what do you find so fascinating about that?"

Niilavin blinked, the word just lost on him as all he heard was horse apples. It had no meaning deeper than the two words. But he can tell Master has gotten on to the game and worked it out. So he let out a rolling chuckle, he was bested after all. The maid investigating his maw offered up the explanation of simply just making sure Niilavins oral hygiene was up to modern times. An explanation lost on Niilavin, far too many words he’s yet to learn in their language. But soon as she patted his muzzle to be shut he did so and spoke as if nothing had happened. “[It’s a shame you won so soon master, you know this means I owe you something? It's how games work after all. But what to give the winner?]” He asked with a hum, thinking about it. “[And glad you think so well of my magic. You are no pushover as well with wits as sharp as any a sphinx! It is a shame you weren't born one, I think you’d done well for the part.]” He added with a chuckle before relaxing.

It was enjoyable, he can’t lie. Bluebelle was skilled with her muzzle! A remark best not spoken given how easy such a remark can be taken out of context. Even if only she may understand him, Bluebelle had been drilling him to be mindful what he says in this day and age. The ‘free press’ loves taking things out of context. But no matter the context she did pamper him with no small amount of care. It was hard to not feel some amount of attachment to her thanks to it. Just what will he do with this pony… She’s going to be the doom of him. He knew it.

Satisfied at her maid's answer, Bluebelle gave a self-satisfied little titter at the announcement of her victory.  "Hm... what indeed?  I may just bank that little favor- oh, I know!  I'll take as my prize a promise that you will be at your absolute best behavior when I take you to your veterinarian appointment, and not play any of your games there!"  If Niil were to look back at the Princess, he would find that she didn't need to be a sphinx to give him a feline smile.

"I like to think that I can perform whatever role is given me with grace and style.  Hm, we're almost done here, I think."  With a few tugs on the last of his feathers, she stepped back to survey her work.  A fine pair of wings, one that would surely move any sphinx (and several ponies!) to direct their attention to this fine specimen of a sphinx.  Nodding in satisfaction, she took a leap off of Niilavin's back, landing in the water with a splash.  Coming to the surface, she breached it in a prismatic spray of water, coming to rest with the "wet mane" look that periodically came into serious style.

• Like 1

Niilavin flicked his ears before looking over his shoulders at his master. The word ‘veterinarian’ was another weird one for his brain to piece together. The best it got was ‘healer of pets’ and that was even more confusing. “[But I am not sick master or unwell master? Why do I need to see an apothecary of pets? It seems unneeded.]” He asked, not understanding the concept of checkups at all. 

He watched her eyeing up ehr wings, as she did he felt the need to stretch them out and show how big and strong they were… He can’t place why he felt the need to do that. But Blue did do a very good job on them, he’d been hard pressed to preen as well as she did! As shameful as it was, this pony was impressing him. From her skills to her sharp wits Bluebelle had a lot going for her… And looks. “blehk.” He mumbles and looks away from the pony as she splashed about. This was no way for a sphinx to think! Ponies were food! Pray! Toys! Nothing more. Why must his mind vex him so?

Blueblood tut-tutted Niilavin's blithe comment as to his health.  "Just because you don't feel unwell doesn't mean you're healthy.  If you've ever seen somepony suddenly drop dead from an unforseen illness, chances are they had something that they just didn't know about until it was too late.  But in these modern times, the doctors actually can find and cure diseases, rather than just cover you with leeches and hope for the best!"  She laughed, though she wasn't sure how true her joke actually was.

Dunking under for one last rinse, she cleared the water out of her eyes and signaled to her maids.  "I think that should do it!  Niil, why don't you rinse off the last of the suds and join me on shore?  We'll have to let the sun dry you, so it would be a good time to take a nap.  A nice place to do so, too; the meadow is a peaceful place."  If she noticed the eyes he'd been making at her... she didn't say anything.  Of course, being admired for their beauty was a default state of being for Blue, so it's possible that she didn't think anything unusual.

• Like 1

He thinked as he did stand up and walked out of the water. It did stand to reason that one was sick before they dropped dead. Even if they were unaware. That made for the best poisons after all! But can they know if nothing can be seen? Magic? Even the best mage-healers were stumped at times. But many years has passed so maybe now they found ways to uncover a sickness one may have missed before? Sooner or later they’d have found something after all. “[Very well, but I shall not drink one drop of mercury! I do not care what the apothecary says on the matter. Sliver that thinks it is water is just.. wrong. I shall not drink such a thing. I’d not drink silver coins after all!]” He says waving a paw about with his words. “[metal is hard. This is a fact. I can not stand mercury nore trust it. A metal that is water is just insane. No good can come from it.]” He flaps his wings open a few times, then with no warning shakes. 

The maids run about as they are showered in water. Even if they were wet from the lake it's hard to not cover one’s self from such a downpour of flying water. But with most of it off his body he stretches out and lays down in the grass with his wings open to get more sun. He can’t say no to the offer of naps. Most of all on a nice day like this! It's made for them. Looking at some maids he waves them closer, then after gestures they worked out what he wanted and got to work drying his paws off before they got to trimming and sharpening his claws. They were fast as learning his needs. Most of his own servants. “[Shall you nap as well? You seem so busy all the time.]” He asked looking over at the female pony.

• Like 1

Bluebelle sucked in a breath though her teeth, reflecting that there were after wall things even worse than leeches in ancient medical practice.  "Yeah... you're actually quite right.  That stuff is poison, and no doctor of any variety is going to prescribe it.  Useful in other respects, but... yeah, dangerous."  Living with as many pegasi as she did, some of quite large, though not sphinx-like stature, the Princess could sense the shower coming in time to throw up a magical barrier, deflecting the water into a prismatic mist.

Shaking off the last of her own water, the mare strutted over to where Niil was making his bed, lying down beside him to rest her back against his warm body, "Yes... I think I will take a nap myself.  There is work I will need to be rested for... later..."  She yawned, stretching, before settling down, closing her eyes, and letting Auntie's sun dry and warm her body.

• Hearthoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Niilavin felt a hint of pride when Bluebelle confirmed that mercury was in fact bad. He knew it all along! With that pride in being told he was right inflating his ego, he watched his master trot up then snuggle up in to his side too join in the nap. He… did not think she’d just nap next to him like that. Once again she stirred feelings he had to hush with a ywain as he laid his head down and curled up around the mare instinctively. “[Then Nap well master, may the gods bless you with a bountiful rest.]” He says back to her, shuting his own eyes after waving off the maids to leave them alone for now. 

Life really has taken an odd turn for him. So many ages away from his own, slave to some pony in a far away land. And yet he felt… happy. He really was no slave. Blue let him do whatever he wished for the most part. They were an odd master but one he was growing to like the company of. He hated to think it but maybe this was not too bad after all. But such worries and thinking can not last long as the large cat of a pony drifted off to sleep around the unicorn.

-Fin-