(Canterlot) Long walk off a short cliff... (Pyroblaze)(semi-closed, PM to join)

Ashton

The cool breeze blew up the high cliffs of the mountain, the birds were singing their final songs of the day, and the sun was just starting to set, casting long shadows and painting the sky a lovely orange and crimson.

But for one griffon, the breeze only reminded her of the chill in her heart, the birds lovely songs were a cacophony of former love, and the colors of the sky and land seemed to have faded away and been replaced with darkness. She had lived most of her life for the one pony she loved, she had dedicated every second of her day to fighting her unjust reputation and finding a way to save him from the clutches of his evil family, and now she finds out it was all a lie... and not only a lie, but a lie that he perpetrated while giving his heart to another the whole time...

Harle stood at the edge of the cliff, a large boulder next to her with a rope tied around it. The other end was tied around her midsection, holding her wings closed --- though under her coat, even now she took care of that coat; the last gift from her father after they completed building her ship.

She took one last look at the sky and the horizon, as tears fell from her eyes, and she began to slowly push that boulder forward, unable to see anything but the pain in her heart, and hoping that when it went over the edge, the pain would finally stop...

Magnus had been watching her in silence for a few moments, wanting to see if she actually planned to go through with it. He waited until the very end, though just as the rock fell over the edge his sword cut through the rope. 

“I never would have taken you for a coward before, but the evidence is overwhelming. So much for caring about your ‘family’ on that ship too, it seems.” He said, approaching somewhat as he cut the rope off her midsection and tossed it aside with his magic. “I’ve suffered my share of hardships, and yet you don’t see me tossing myself off any cliffs.”

Harle silently watched the boulder and rope fall, after a moment she sighed, gathering up her remaining strength "... it was all a lie..." she said "...my whole life... everything I fought for... everything I dreamed for... everything I wished for... it was all a lie..." she said "...I wasn't good enough... I tried my hardest, I made headlines with my escapes, I became a household name... but I wasn't good enough for him... if only I had..." she stopped there, not even knowing what to say, not knowing what she could have done to make things different

She sat down hard as the tears started rolling again, clearly harle had misplaced the blame for the failed (and arguably falsified) relationship on her own back, despite the fact that it had been her fiance who had been stringing her along , lieing, and cheating on her... sadly not an uncommon reaction to the end of a emotional relationship.

Magnus listened silently as she spoke, rolling his eyes when it became clear this was about trying to win some male’s approval. Eventually, he sat down a bit behind her, watching the horizon for the moment. 

“So he was stringing you along, either forget him or get your revenge. He does not deserve your love, so give him hate or nothing at all. You have too many creatures that actually care about you to throw it all away because this one turned out to be a liar.” He said, glancing over at the griffon. “Throwing yourself off the cliff only makes things worse. At worst, the liar is happier and your crew is miserable.”

• 1 month later...

Harle sighed "If I wasn't good enough for him, how can I be good enough for all of them? They deserve a real captain, a good captain... the best captain... not some miserable failure like me" she stared off into the distance a moment "and I cant find it in my heart to hate Felix, despite everything he did... somehow... maybe if I'd been around more, or if I'd just straight-up spirited him away from his corrupt family... if I'd just acted sooner he wouldn't have turned out the way he did... its because I tried to keep away from him and give him enough space so his family didn't come down on him... if I'd just..." she sighed. Though the tone of her voice did seem to crack and change slightly... Magus' words were getting to her now, and somewhere in the back of her head there was now a tiny voice screaming (well, squeaking since it was so tiny) that she was just making excuses... it was still going to take more time and work (and consolation) but logic and reason was starting to pierce through the veil of darkness that had settled over the Griffon captain.

• 3 weeks later...

“Well, I would guess they want you regardless, that crew of yours looked like they cared for you.” He sighed slightly, his tone perhaps hinting that he did too on some level. Why else would he be here, after all?

“As far as this Felix, it sounds like you just need to move on then. Forget him, he’s not worth dwelling on if all it brings is pain.” Magnus said, staring out at the view. “You can’t change the past, no one can. All you can do is decide how to spend the present and future. By all means, learn from the past, but there is no point in dwelling on ‘what if’.”

Harley sighed "If only I'd chose to be a Time pirate instead of a Sky pirate" she said with a tiny smile. The joke was very forced, but at least the griff' was trying. She sighed but smiled "Fools, the whole lot of them" but from the tone it was clear that she meant that comment in a positive light. Now that there was a crack, the wall harle had built around her heart was crumbling. While it would probably take longer for her to fully let go of felix, at least now she was starting to see things for what they were, instead of seeing them through the lens of depression.

In the distance, Magnus would be able to make out a speck on the horizon, heading towards them. No doubt another of the crew in a smaller ship, likely Singlestone - magnus would have heard enough around the ship to be able to piece together that if anything happened to harle, Singletone would be put in charge of everything... which was not a position he had any desire for, so he had many reasons to try and come after the captain when she did something foolish...

Magnus rolled his eyes at the joke, but didn’t really say anything about it. For now he watched the dot get closer, offering no argument to the statement about her foolish crew. There wasn’t much more for him to say at the moment, so he figured he’d simply be here in her time of need.