Section 2 - Sweet Apple Acres

After a long and grueling fortnight of running her little hooves off in the perpetual dusky gloom of the Everfree Forest with Harmony Everskies, a little yellow filly with apple-red hair found herself sprawled out in the hayloft where she'd collapsed in a pile of sweet-smelling new straw the evening before. She had taken to sleeping in the barn these past few weeks, claiming that the newly stocked hayloft helped her sleep, in an attempt to hide her machinations for winning the annual Running of the Leaves race from her sister, Applejack. Apple Bloom was always doing things her family thought were a little odd ever since she made friends with her fellow Cutie Mark Crusaders, so they just assumed it was another one of her misguided attempts to make her Cutie Mark appear.

She checked her flank, as she did every morning upon waking JUST in case the "Cutie Mark Fairy" had come in the night. But she was a big pony, not some silly little foal, and didn't believe for a minute that the Cutie Mark Fairy existed, despite what a few mares from town had told her. But it never hurt to doublecheck, especially if nopony was around to see her being so foalish. "Nothing yet.", she heaved a great sigh in her little chest, but wasn't particularly surprised.

She yawned and blinked her eyes to the distant sound of what she thought was thunder, but bright sunshine was pouring through the windows in the middle of each gable of the hayloft, and even more dusty sunlight was sneaking through the unchinked cracks in the wall, filled with flitting dust motes and the occasional bluebottle. "What in Blazes is that?". She asked out loud, crawling through the slippery golden straw to one of the windows. The filly peered out on the barnyard, the fields, and eventually her ears located the rumbling sound near the Macoun part of the orchard.

"OH MY GOSH! THE RACE!!!", she cried, almost falling out the window. She'd been training for weeks and missed the first leg of it! Of all the rotten days to oversleep! The race's leaders had already reached the pinnacle of the hill - just before the cart track through the orchard gave way to the compacted dirt lane that meandered through furrowed fields on its way past the Apple Family's barn. A white pony with pale green hair was in the lead, a few lengths ahead of the first pack.

Her amber eyes scanned the barnyard for her best point of entry, and landed on the old field-stone well by the main gate to the farm "Well, Ah reckon they'll have to take the road through the barnyard, and funnel through that there Arbor...unless they try to jump that fence, or jus' trample it down. Or go around. Oh, Ah'd better get myself into position! Quick!"

Quickly, Apple Bloom made a pony shaped pile in the hay and covered it with a bit of old floursack that happened to be laying around, probably since Granny Smith was a little filly herself. She carefully removed her pink bow, "For Airy-Dynamics, and so my fam'ly thinks I'm still asleep", she said as she placed it in the general area where her head would be if she were nestled under the floral sacking. Finally, she slapped her racing number onto her flank, and shook it a bit to ensure it wasn't going to fly off mid-stride. Satisfied, she turned, hooked her fetlocks around the rails of the ladder to the ground floor and jumped down, releasing a cloud of chaff and dust under her hind hooves where she landed. She eyed the racers again, shadowed in the darkness of the barn. That mare with the green hair was nearly to the barnyard already! As quick as yellow lightning, Apple Bloom sped to far side of the well, using various farm implements as cover as she did so. She was confident that the leader had not seen her.

But to her absolute HORROR, who was coming out from behind the barn, but Applejack herself, toting a makeshift apple juice stand! "Only AJ would think is sales at a time like this!" Apple Bloom groaned. She had to make sure that AJ didn't see her or all her plans would be ruined. Eyes on the leader, Abby waited for the mare to pass by, and in the wake of the dustrail Ginger Mint left through the barnyard, joined the race. After a few trotted steps, she closed her eyes, inhaled shakily and galloped on with all of her might after the white mare with the chartreuse hair before the main pack caught up. She was determined to meet her big sis with a nonchalant air, and a huge saucy grin, at that finish line, and didn't care how much she had to cheat to get there! She would show Applejack that she WAS a big pony, and could take care of herself!

"You kin do this Apple Bloom! Just focus on the look on' Applejack's face when you beat her to the finish line!"

hi hi

gallery_82_11_16960.png

Ginger Mint was a little bit shocked when she saw that the dark red pony was actually slowing down to talk to her. He'd looked so intent on getting ahead just a second ago and she hoped that she hadn't distracted him or made him angry, but his voice showed no hint of annoyance at all. Another surprise.

"So, why are you running today?"

Ginger Mint barely suppressed a laugh, instead making a little squeak with a smile. Her eyes rolled back and to the right as if looking for the right answer while she tried her best to match his pace.

"You know? I'm not entirely sure. This might sound entirely silly, but I kind of got tricked into it at the last minute." She said between deep breaths.

Well, perhaps it wasn't quite so silly as she thought. He hadn't laughed or sneered or anything of the sort, just a polite nod and a thoughtful expression. Ginger Mint didn't mind going a little bit faster to keep up, and the conversation really did wonders to distract from her aching legs.

There was a moment of silence between the two and Ginger Mint considered falling back a bit and letting him continue on ahead. She didn't want to sabotage his chances at victory on her account, but before she could decide, he introduced himself.

"My apologizes, my name is Douglas Trotter. It's nice to meet you. I gotta say, I'm surprised to see some ponies slowing their pace so early. This race is suppose to be very long."

"The pleasure is mine, Douglas. I'm Ginger Mint! I, uh... I can't say I'm surprised because I don't actually know how long the race is supposed to be. When I saw everyone galloping off at the starting line, I assumed it wouldn't be very long at all."

A look of deep concern crossed over her face as she considered what to say next. He seemed like a friendly sort, and her curiosity outweighed any fear that he might think poorly of her.

"This race... It doesn't last more than a day does it? I mean, I know the Whitetail Woods are vast, but they'd have said something if that was the case right?"

Number 34, Klondike, was satisfied with the reply. He understood that perhaps now wasn’t the best of times to discuss such things, but he couldn’t help throwing the idea out there. Plus, she did say they might talk about it later. Even if that may or may not happen, it was better than a “no” as far as Klondike was concerned

“No opportunity wasted, nothing lost. See you at the finish line Miss Applejack” He chimed with a smile as he picked up his two bottles and headed over to the tree were Dotty Droll had stood to wait. He waved a hoof as he got closer and once he was under that shade, he set one bottle of apple juice down in front of her and quickly emptied his with resounding satisfaction.

"*gulp gulp* AH~ That hit the spot.” He laid the bottle next to the tree making a mental note to come back and dispose of it properly. Then, politely waiting for Dotty to finish her drink, he smiled at her as they made small chatter before turning to face the remainder of the course ahead. He too had noticed that the amount of ponies running by was thinning. If he still planned to finish this race, let alone have a chance of at least finishing towards the front of the herd, he would have to make haste.

“That drink was a thank you for teaching me that sailor song, Miss Droll.” Klondike said with a smile on his face as he turned his head away from the road to look at Dotty Droll. Even though he had only heard the song once, he was certain he could recite it again.

Klondike was not rude by nature, but having rested, chatted, and enjoyed a pleasant drink he could feel the spirit of competition taking over him. And, with one final wave of the hoof and a smile, he addressed Dotty Droll one last time.

“Maybe if we run into each other again during the race, you can teach me another sailor song. Or even better yet, if we meet at the finish line, maybe you could grace me with your company once again and teach me a whole boat full of sailor songs.”

With that and a smile, Klondike was off in a flash down the road, pouring as much stamina into his galloping gait as he could to catch up to the rest of the herd for the second time that day. He was uncertain of whether or not he would win, but he was certain of only one thing… The race was doing wonders for his absentmindedness.

So, with a clear head, right ear twitching, nostrils flaring, and a broad smile on his muzzle, he poured newly found speed into his gallop.

He was eager and ready for the next leg of the race.

(ooc; thoughts are marked in * * )

Shanna smiled at Klondike and pointed up at her brother directly overhead. "No danger of that kind of mix-up this year, I'm afraid. He stepped on a nail while practicing last night. He's off his hooves for 3 days. At least he can sit on a cloud when he's not flying. He's a little peeved at missing out on racing though..."

She smiled when Aj muttered something about "light blue.." when speaking to her, probably sweat in her eyes. She thought *Good, every little bit of advantage helps... *

Shanna then gasped in surprise when a rushed Applejack bucked a treefull of freebies! "WOW! Thank you Applejack!"

She quickly trotted over to kick a few out of the road so she could gobble three down without anypony falling over her.

Suddenly, a little yellow foal with red hair trotted by, as elegant as you please. A number proudly displayed on her flank as she zipped by. She racked her brains to remember if that was one of the Apple family. * Oooh if only that number was not in her way, the Cutie Mark might jog my memory!.. *

Shanna shook her head "I'll remember later. I'll kep an eye on her when I can, she must've been in the back of the line up..."

She trotted alongside the foal for a moment and waved a wingtip "Good luck! Keep a good pace and do your best!"

The bay mare then broke into a good trot, trying to catch up with a pair of green pegasus stallions to *ahem* check out the competition... :wink:

Suddenly one slipped ropes off his wings and took off. She wondered if she was seeing a cheat, but he flew straight up. Shanna spared glances up, seeing him heading up toward a knot of pegasi in the sky, including her brother...

She had to take a look every few trees or risk crashing, making for a confusing picture of the sky;

Glance!

* Was that the Professor and Jubilee? *

Glance!

* That could be.. It is! Miss LaMare from Apploosa! *

Glance!

* The pegasus is whipping out a.. banket? *

Shanna squealed and had to jump over a small purple unicorn filly with a green mane... * whoops! make that a colt! * as she noted when she looked back "Sorry! My fault!"

She muttered to herself "Okay Shan, get your game on! Ask Hoss what was up -At the afterparty!"

With that, she bore down and broke into a full gallop for the remander of Sweet Apple Acres to make up lost time...

--------------

Hoss waved "Miss LaMare! You too? Oh this is going to be a fun afterparty! All our pegafriends are here!"

He buzzed his wings to fly closer to the group "Let me know how I can help! If it runs on light, can you block the light to the jetpack?"

Hoss catches movement and looks down, seeing a pegasus coming up with a blanket "Looks like someone is thinking on his hooves today... Hay! Over Here! We all need to plan!"

Douglas was happy the mare, Ginger Mint, was willing to talk. As much as it was a race, if he just made a dash for the finish Douglas was sure the event would have felt rather empty. "My that's a lovely name you have, Miss Mint." And it seemed their conversation was going alright, albeit with a shaky start. They continued to trot along the road to the way out of Sweet Apple Acres and Douglas was fine with the pace they had been moving at. Slowly though, Douglas found himself regretting his earlier choice of words when he saw Ginger begin to frown. He must have screwed up something!

"This race... It doesn't last more than a day does it? I mean, I know the Whitetail Woods are vast, but they'd have said something if that was the case right?" Her question got Douglas thinking for a second before answering. Hoping to correct his earlier mistake, Douglas tried to think how long the race would go on for before giving an answer.

"No, I really doubt it would. They would have told us if that was the case. But it'll definitely be nearing sunset by the time we finish I'd imagine. I was just saying it's early because I was planning on resting after I got through Sweet Apple Acres. I think it was...12 or 13 sections in the race? Well Ginger, I figure a break every three sections would be the fas'est time without bur'ing too much energy." Douglas answered, soon catching that he let his little drawl slip out at the end. He was happy his coat was red, hoping it would be hard to tell if he was embarrassed.

"Oh, you said you were tricked into racing? Do you have any idea who it could've been?" Douglas asked, hoping to shake off his embarrassment with a new topic. He waited on her reply with his full attention before continuing. "Hm..I wish I could help ya there. I decided to run today 'cause I don't get to run fast all too often when I work." He had to admit it was rather weird to hear about somepony being tricked into running. As far as he knew, everypony who was running did so because they really wanted too. He began to think if there were other ponies who were also tricked.

"I must say, that's the fur's time I've her' of somepony being tricked into running. Still, I thin' you'll do fine. We gots 'um good ground on the others... Blegh! This lazy tongue, causing me trouble again." Douglas finished, his cheeks soon burning when he realized he said that last part allowed. Looking at Ginger's face he let out a nervous chuckle. "Sorry about that. Uh, 'she' tends to get lazy if I flap my gums too long." He could only imagine how weird he must of sounded, hoping he could at least save their conversation.

Why?

Why did she have to be running late TODAY. Of all the places she could have picked to be late to, the Running of the Leaves was the worst. Of course, she wasn't actually running yet. Even being a quick winged Pegasus, she was still late.

Oh no. Oh no. ShadowMist thought, as she neared the starting line. Everypony was already gone. There were still several spectators around, those who had chosen not to race. ShadowMist now had two options. Fly past the starting line and catch up to everypony, or start running from the starting line and hoped no pony noticed.

But flying is cheating. She thought to herself, groaning at her conscience. The other ponies in the race wouldn't notice if she only flew close to the back of the pack, and then ran the rest of the way. Ugh, but she'd know, and then she'd feel guilty about it. Embarrassment, guilt, or just forgo the entire race? No, she had to participate.

After all, ShadowMist was a decent runner. She'd participated in her school's running team for a few years. She wasn't a first place runner, but she wasn't half bad. Of course, she was used to starting races along with all the other contestants. It had also been a few years since she'd run a race...

Still, ShadowMist landed right before the finish line and then took off. She had a lot of ground to cover if she was going to catch up with the other racers. She couldn't stop to enjoy the scenery or smell the fresh scents of the forest. But as she kept on running, she managed to pass the pony that was in dead last.

Well, at least I won't get last... she thought, feeling a bit sorry for the tired pony whose whooves were already dragging on the ground. But, as she learned in school, a race was a race, and you didn't stop. ShadowMist had never once gotten last in a race... although she'd been very close. At least that record wasn't about to be broken.

Not far behind the other runners was a gray pegasus. He was trotting down the path watching as the leaves fell from the branches. He was enjoying the scenery. He loved the feel of the leaves being crushed beneath his hooves. Rain Leaf felt something different give under his hoof. It left a mushy white pulp that stuck to the bottom of his hoof. It did not take him much effort to figure out what he stepped on. He looked up and saw a couple apple trees. 'We must be passing through Sweet Apple Acres now.' Rain Leaf thought to himself as he looked on upon the unfamiliar track. It was the first time he participated in the event. He looked on as the ponies he was trailing kept on going. He shook the sticky mush of off his hoof and started off again at a slow pace.

He went on for a few minutes noticing that he had not caught up to the others yet. They seemed even further ahead now than before. 'I know I am supposed to pace myself but I going to come in an hour behind the other runners at this rate.' He slowly started to speed up until he was galloping along the trail. A smile crossed his face as he saw the group of conversing ponies seemingly grow larger and larger until he was right up next to them. He felt another apple give under his hooves. He kept galloping despite being annoyed by his own carelessness. Fatigue was quickly starting to over take him and he had to slow back down to a trot. He could see the crowd of runners not far ahead of him. A wave of relief swept over him as he kept trotting down the track trying to stay at the same pace as the runners in front. He turned his head as something caught his eye. He saw another pegasus galloping behind the group he passed. 'I guess I wasn't in last place after all' he thought to himself as he left out an airy chuckle. He then looked forward and kept on going.

Survey only started to blushed more, as the crowd forming at the table started to get rather big he shook his head, and stepped back a bit. As of hearing AppleJack's comment he coughed and blushed a bit more, shaking his head some more, his mind filling with toughts. He shrieked as soon as Klondike yelled something, falling over his own hooves. As her muzzle came close to his, he blushed again, and smiling rather akwardly ''D-don't h-hit m-me, p-please..'' he said, covering his face with his hooves as he peeked trough his hooves at the bag, letting out a nervous chuckle he regained his posture. ''O-o-oh, t-thanks..'' he said, levitating his number out of his bag, and placing it on his flank. He noticed Blaze and smiled at him, slightly less nervous, however biting his lip. ''H-hey.. u-uhm.. i s-should p-probably g-get going..'' he said, taking some steps back, and levitating the bag on his back, grunting as it was on his back. ''A-and, y-yes.. t-this is my f-first time..'' he said, dashing off back into the race, panting again.

He started to slow down, as he grew more and more tired. He forgot to get a drink at the table, just because of his social akwardness. ‘’S-survey, w-why d-do you a-always d-do that..’’ he mumbled to himself, hoping that no other pony heard him. He shook his head at himself, he tried to remember why he was even competing. He sighed, as he levitated a big Puzzle Cube from his bag, as he started to solve it, nervous as ever. This was going to be a long race for him.