Princess Celestia [Ready]

Dio

Princess Celestia
I have seen many things in these thousand years. I have seen birth and I have seen death. I have seen kingdoms rise and kingdoms fall. I have felt boundless joy and pitiless despair. I have seen many things, but in the end I know that my kingdom stands because of the love of its people for this land and for each other. This I vow to protect, to guide, and to prosper.

Name: Celestia
Sex: Female
Species: Alicorn

Coat Color: A pearly pink color, very nearly white (#FFF9FD)
Mane/Tail Color & Style: Mane and tail of many colors kept aloft by her own innate magic. Streaks of aquamarine (#5CB5D5), jade (#58CEAC), sapphire (#92AEEF), spinel (#E0A7F8)
Eye Color: Amethyst (#553B6B)

Cutie Mark: Emblem of the Equestrian Sun
post-135-0-12345000-1316474074_thumb.png
Art by BlackGryph0n on DA. Fair use under Creative Commons.

Physique: Towers above the general population of Great Equestria in stature. Leggy, fit, and dexterous. Carries herself with grace and presence.
Residence: Currently residing in the seat of government in Canterlot.
Occupation: Ruler of Equestria, shepherdess of the Sun and Moon

Unique Traits

Celestia is nigh immortal, her body ageless and her mind sharp despite the passage of years.  Living for lifetimes longer than the average pony has given her a unique perspective on the nature of life, the world, and the whims of the aether. She understands that social structures and personal preferences cannot change instantaneously and that ponies often learn best by example. Wise and dutiful, the Sun Princess prefers subtle teaching methods, gently nudging events along rather than ruling by executive authority and arcane might.

Still, when the wrath of the sun falls, it falls in full measure.  Those who dare threaten Equestria know full well that as an ancient alicorn, Celestia wields truly terrifying and awesome power.  Celestia has borne all of the Elements of Harmony in combination during the war against Nightmare Moon solo, a feat that has yet to be replicated since.  She has banished a godlike entity from the Earth, imprisoning Nightmare in the Moon.  Finally, she has personally fought wild beasts, bandits, and villains in the lawless time before the establishment of the Equestrian nation.  Suffice to say that Celestia is not a combatant to be trifled with and very few are willing to challenge her full unbridled wrath.

Character Summary
Mentioning the city of Canterlot immediately evokes images of towering alabaster spires trimmed with gold and appointed with finery both arcane and mundane. Inevitably, any conversation about Canterlot turns to the monarch and chief occupant, Celestia, the Princess of Ponykind. Like the seat of her government, Celestia is shrouded in finery and steeped in arcane mysticism.

The debate over the origin of the Celestial sisters is a perennial topic of Equestrian history conferences and a subject of intense study at Canterlot University’s History and Arcana departments. The only agreed-upon point of discussion is that the arrival of Celestia and Luna in Equestria substantially predates recorded history. Celestia herself has said little on the subject, preferring instead to focus on her current duties both as monarch and shepherdess of the sun and moon. What is known is that she was crowned the sole Princess of Ponykind shortly after using the Elements of Harmony to defeat Nightmare Moon and abruptly end the War of Night.

In the years since the end of the War, Celestia has continued to shepherd the Equestrian sun and moon, maintaining balance both in nature and the aether. Under her guidance, Equestria has prospered, building great cities, taming the weather, and making the land bloom. Celestia has taken steps to build relations with neighboring Aquellia realms and to foster communication between all species.

Recent days have seen their shares of ups and downs. Equestria is at peace with its neighbors, but trouble can come from within as well as from without. The return of Nightmare Moon was heralded in the books of prophecy for centuries; even Celestia knew that the spell of banishment would not be able to hold the entity forever. When the seal was broken, Nightmare Moon would return only with vengeance in mind.

Celestia knew that she could not fight Nightmare Moon directly. Though she wielded enough arcane might to destroy the construct outright, the battle would likely destroy half of Equestria and in the end, her sister as well. Instead, the Sun Princess elected to be clever. Celestia allowed herself to be captured by Nightmare Moon and through subtle conversation, manipulated her into challenging Twilight and company with tests of their wits and their friendships rather than outright killing them. The rest, as they say, is history. Nightmare Moon was defeated, Equestria was restored to balance, and Luna was given a chance for redemption.

Discord’s reign predates the War of Night by potentially centuries. Historical documents indicate that he was defeated by the combined effort of both Celestial sisters wielding the Elements of Harmony. As merciful as she was, Celestia did not outright destroy him, instead trapping his essence in a prison of stone. His most recent escape and the trials of Twilight Sparkle and company have reopened old wounds and serve as a reminder to Celestia that her decisions sometimes have unintended consequences. The Sun Princess knows that despite her powers, she is still far from perfect.

Her age also gives her a firm sense of accountability and responsibility. As sorrowful as she was after defeating Nightmare Moon, Celestia knew that the consequences of Luna's actions justified her sentence. Perhaps in time, the ponies would learn to forgive Luna for her prior transgressions. In a thousand years, the hate and fear would have had time to fade, giving Luna the chance to start anew.

Though she occasionally indulges those who ask her about her history and the years before the War of Night, she politely declines to go into great detail. Her memory of those events is perfect, but old wounds do not close easily and history is easily twisted by those who do not have the clarity of countless eons of existence. The Sun Princess firmly believes that her place is in the present and that her visions should be set upon the future, rather than reliving the sins of Equestria’s past.

There are times when Celestia wishes she were merely a normal pony. In spite of the passage of time, the tumultuous events of the past thousand years still weigh heavily on her mind. Still, Celestia believes firmly in the strength of her people and knows that their connection with both the land and each other will allow them to persevere. As a result, Celestia demonstrates a very down-to-earth attitude in spite of her godlike powers and a warm and friendly demeanor in spite of her executive authority.

Despite—or perhaps because of— the heavy responsibility of her occupation and the incredible power she wields, Celestia still finds time to have a little fun. Her playful candor manifests readily in less formal settings, such as when spending time with her sister Luna or her protégé, Twilight Sparkle, and at times when addressing members of the general public in a more intimate setting. She is known to play pranks on the palace staff from time to time, though they are always on the silly side rather than the malicious side.

Portrait

post-135-0-64849300-1316463682_thumb.png
Art by Egophiliac on DA. Fair use under Creative Commons.

Edited by Dio
Fixed formatting.

It'll be very interesting to see how Celestia being a mild prankster looks in RP. And when it does happen, I wonder if it woll scream "Trolletia" or if the integrity of the rest of the character will keep it down to earth.

Very nice app.

I don't think this needs mentioning in the application, but I wonder if she's had past protégés before Twilight, or even that special group based around the protégé (such as the main six) over and over again through history, like in a cycle.

"All of this has happened before, and it will all happen again"

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Site projects have been taking up my time, so I haven't gotten to working this out just yet.  But I'd like to keep it.