S02EP02 - "The Return of Harmony, part 2"

Ok, trying to keep up with all of the new 'meme' names this episode has generated.

We have Flutter***** and Rainbow Ditch, what are the others?

Meanie Pie? Applefib? Twilght Grayshade?

I got nothing for Tom-obsessed Rarity.

:D:D:D

I thought it was Grumpy Pie?

As for Rarity, how about Avaricity (based on the word avarice). It's not really a word, but it sounds damn classy, imho. Since I just made it up, I dont think it will stick, though :)

You're right! Grumpy Pie! This is why I was asking, I didn't think I had all the names correct.

And I like Avaricity!

• 2 weeks later...

All right, with the newest episode coming out tomorrow, I think this is a bad good time to give my in-depth review of this episode.

Pre-intro is a recap. Expected.

First section is a pretty decent. Actually, it's mostly great - it's just that the pacing is all over the place. The jokes and history bits left over are great though:

-Discord mentioning that he is eons old (unless he was grossly over-exaggerating) makes him insanely old compared to every other character on the show. So far, anyway.

-The discorded 4 fighting with each other was entertaining. Kung-Fu Rarity was especially surprising! I hope that gets a cameo in a later episode actually, it would be a great addition to Rarity's character if shown while she's not discorded(Otherwise, it's hard to swallow as a real aspect of her).

-I actually think Discord laughing at Twilight for believing the Elements were in the labyrinth is a plot hole. I mean why were they playing a game with him in the previous episode if that's the case? If Discord knew that Twilight and her friends had no idea that the Elements weren't in there, then his acting on that moment is incorrect. If Discord DIDN'T know, then what did he think Twilight and co. were there for? Did he really think that they were playing his game just for kicks? Rainbow even clearly mentions "I'll just go fly over and we'll get the Elements back in no time!" just before losing her wings, so it's practically GUARANTEED that he knew they were there for the Elements! :/

-Angel and his buddies trampling over Twilight, immediately followed by Fluttershy's "Good boy Angel! Mama's so proud!" was hilarious.

-The randomness that pervades from this point really fits the theme of Discord, what with nothing really making sense.

-The scene where the discorded 4 turn even more gray kinda depressed and scared me. It already feels like nothing is going in the ponies' direction and this just comes out of nowhere.

-Most of the library scene is less hilarious and more dramatic to me. I was also partially annoyed by the bullying section because there was an obvious loop going on for a few seconds.

-The Elements actually turning up inside the book was surprising. Unless you're one of the people who believe in the "Where you began" theory, this was a really out of place way for Twilight to find them. Actually, even with the theory it's out of place.

-"Spike is Rainbow Dash" lightened the mood a bit. I didn't catch the "Here comes Tom!" joke the first time, so I missed out on that one.

-Discord obviously started being overconfident here - he sincerely believes he won, so much that he thinks the ponies can no longer summon the Rainbow at all. Ironically, if you watch carefully, there is a small scene where he visibly gets concerned that they might actually summon it anyway, which suggests that he might not understand how the Elements truly work at all (which would make sense). Either way, this small tidbit can be used to slightly justify his overconfidence for the scene where he does get defeated. Slightly.

-I'll be frank - Twilight getting discorded made me cry. Thank Celestia that was short-lived. (Get it? It really is because of Celestia that it was short-lived!)

-Speaking of that, the scene where she regains her colors because of all the letters was excellent: it proves that they were plot-important as opposed to just plain forced.

-I really liked the Sweet Apple Acre scene, although mostly because I knew Twilight was going to get her friends on the right track at this point. Big Macindog, Granny Dancin' Smith and AJ un-eating an apple was pretty random and entertaining, too.

-I laughed my ass off at Fluttershy's scene - mostly because her "Oh no!" while looking at the rope felt so wrong in my mind at the time.

-Speaking of the others, I do wish they had the same amount of time that AJ got for a re-harmonization sequence, but alas.

-Rainbow's scene was the best part of the episode, honestly. Dash really got screwed over when it comes to this 2-parter, so it's great that we finally got to see her again and with a decent amount of effort to get her.

-Fluttershy being Fluttershy again really made me happy - even though it was a screw up in-universe for her to just ask nicely if she could pin Rainbow down.

-AJ being useful in this sequence with her lasso skills was also great. I also like the loop where she waves at Twilight and the others from the top of the balloon. :kissy:

-Fluttershy's "BIG. DUMB. MEANIE!" moment was awesome. You could say it was...20% cooler. :20:

-I loved the moment when Dash finally gets re-harmonized and they share a group hug. Even the ballerina buffalos couldn't ruin it for me.

-For the final scene where Discord finally loses, I have a theory that he is actually...color-blind. I'm not too sure about it, since I don't remember if he mentioned color at some point, but it goes along well with his influence over the others turning them grayer and grayer. The point is that it could partially explain why he was overconfident at the time. Still, he should have known something was wrong when he saw the mane 6 back together. I guess his ego was too large for him to notice by then.

-Star Wars finale! Yayyyy-Wait, why no Luna?! I am disappoint. :-|

Pros

-Incredibly consistent amount of humor. Some of the best of the show as well.

-Some of the most touching scenes so far.

-Custom ending theme was a great addition.

-Multiple references to other universes (YMMV on this one)

Cons

-Pacing is all over the place. Some scenes feel like they should have been given more time then others. And some just felt like they needed more time.

-Discord loses too easily. This could merge with the above one, since there was obviously a time issue by that point.

-Plot holes. Again, this could be blamed on the first con.

-WHY U NO PUT LUNA AT THE END EVEN THOUGH IT MAKE NO SENSE AND WOULD HAVE BEEN RUSHED AND OUT OF PLACE?!?!?

Overall a great episode, but the touching scenes and the fact it's a 2nd-parter makes this one harder to watch casually.

Now, only 8 hours left for the REAL Season 2. :smug:

-I actually think Discord laughing at Twilight for believing the Elements were in the labyrinth is a plot hole. I mean why were they playing a game with him in the previous episode if that's the case? If Discord knew that Twilight and her friends had no idea that the Elements weren't in there, then his acting on that moment is incorrect. If Discord DIDN'T know, then what did he think Twilight and co. were there for? Did he really think that they were playing his game just for kicks? Rainbow even clearly mentions "I'll just go fly over and we'll get the Elements back in no time!" just before losing her wings, so it's practically GUARANTEED that he knew they were there for the Elements! :/

Actually, just now re-watching episode 2, the riddle goes: "Twists and turns are my master plan. THEN find the Elements back where you began." So he kind of says right there that "twists and turns" (the maze) are part of the plan. So it sounds like he expects Twilight to find the Elements all along. Whether she does or doesn't doesn't actually matter to him, because he knows she can't use them. "Twists and turns" could also have a double meaning, also saying that discord in Equestria is his master plan.

• Like 1