Last post wins

I'm glad the recommendations nailed Rocky in the crossfire.

The reasons I recommended SAO:

It's very mainstream. 

It's part of a Japanese genre rife with MMO-involved stories. It's arguable that .hack actually started it, but I feel like SAO finished it.

In spite of its faults, it does tell an accessible yarn with likable characters.

I only finished the first arc in season 2 before it went harem-mode and I lost interest. 

The new spinoff season with the pink girl looks interesting and it's on my watch list.

It introduced the idea of a fairly new anime becoming part of western mainstream consciousness on an accessible timeline.

You can watch it on almost every platform out there.

I recommended it for the same reason I recommended DBZ -- it's an anime that changed something about anime genre and how we consume it, in spite of any reservations or criticism it may garner. 

You can also just watch Made in Abyss.

One Piece you could probably polish off if you binged it this summer. That's a saga in itself and thoroughly worth the trip if you have the time and invest yourself. It feels kinda cool being part of a group that's followed this monster for 850+ episodes.

Yeeeaaaah I'm for that as long as I avoid gore and excessive violence... I, personally, like to bounce around between comedies, romcoms, romance, comroms, action-comedy-romance, comedy-action-romance, romance-action-comedy-highschool, hischool-romcom-action-adventure, adventure-action-romance-highschool-comedies...

Oh and whatever Made in Abyss is.

Made in Abyss was hard to watch but I ultimately did very much enjoy it. As I said, violence and all that doesn't appeal to me but for some reason I could get down with MiA. To me, animes like FMA and even SAO are the best. Action, adventure, comedy, some romance, and some not-so-horrible violence and peril. Though FMA: Brotherhood did lean a bit into the gorey side at times, it wasn't all that hard to watch.

Another genre I love is, well, whatever Erased would be considered as. That mystery 'who done it?' kinda story with a real sense of urgency and some time travel to boot. I'd like to see more stuff like that...

I have heard of Black Butler.. I'll have to look into it soon!

Hyouka was actually the first or second anime I ever watched. I think you might've even been the one that recommended it.. Or was it Rose? Ah well, I did like that one a lot. Mystery stories have always been one of my favorite genres.. 

I think there's a difference between gore and violence just cause, and gore/violence to push the story forward. Parasyte and MiA do this as a means to propel and enrich the story, and it's not just for the sake of having it. FMA:B is a perfect balance between story and squick moments.

You should check out Elfen Lied (best opening ever) and Brynhildr in the Darkness. Incidentally both of these are by the same mangaka.

I also found this, which I think is really neat:

qgj14sxk5rb11.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Rocky said:

Another genre I love is, well, whatever Erased would be considered as. That mystery 'who done it?' kinda story with a real sense of urgency and some time travel to boot. I'd like to see more stuff like that...

Higurashi/Umineko no naku koro ni. 

Both are massive mystery stories with some ‘uncomfortable’ moments in them. 

Umineko has a massive focus on the mystery genre and actually plays into its meta story.

And it gets pretty meta.

Overall Higurashi is the better anime (until the 2013 ova). Umineko unfortunately suffers from the issues that a lot of VN adaptations have and only covers half the original story. 

Although if you have 50 hours to kill, I’d highly recommend the VN. 

• Like 1