Famous Visitors [OPEN]

MyLittlePonyTales

As the Wonderbolts made their entrance, Haywire began to daydream. The words of others and reality seemed to fade away as the rust covered filly imagined herself as a winged member of the Wonderbolt's team. Wearing a costume like theirs, she saw herself flying with precision with the rest of team. Doing barrel rolls and loop-de-loops in the sky, even participating in the classic 'starburst' maneuver to the cheers of adoring crowds. Suddenly, the winged Haywire broke from the group and started doing specatular stunts on her own. The more aerial stunts she did, the louder the crowd cheered. Soon, the chant arose of "HAYWIRE! HAYWIRE! HAYWIRE!" Responding to this, she landed on a stage and began to join in the chant of "Haywire! Haywire!" until.....

The blonde filly snapped back to reality. Haywire was on top of a table while she had chanted OUTLOUD in front of the entire class as well as the visiting Wonderbolts. Looking embarrassed, Haywire smiled widely as she slowly climbed down.

"Nuts and shoes, I wish that thar dream had been real," she muttered.

• 4 weeks later...

”Hey there everypony!” Spitfire trotted confidently up to the front of the classroom, oblivious as to whether or not Axis and Soarin' were prepared to follow. The visit had to keep moving forward, even if Spitfire had to carry the whole thing on her own shoulders.

“My name is Spitfire, and these are my teammates, Soarin' and Axis.” she gestured. “Soarin' is one of the team captains, just like me. Axis is one of the reserve members, who only performs if one of the regular members is unavailable. His position is the type that many new Wonderbolt's start in. But don't let that discourage you! Eventually you'll get to work your way up in the ranks, and maybe even become a captain!” Though the chances were slim of becoming a captain, the longer you were on the Wonderbolts team, the better your chances were.

“The Wonderbolts get to travel all over Equestria and perform for crowds of thousands. Sometimes we even make special appearances in the Griffin capital of Talonopolis. Being a Wonderbolt is a lot of hard work, but it's also a really fun job. You can make a lot of new friends, and meet a lot of interesting ponies. Soarin', is there anything you would like to add?” Spitfire didn't think so, but she figured she should at least offer him the chance to speak.

Rainsong woke up with a start, having been sleeping until about that moment behind some bushes in the general vicinity of the Schoolhouse. She blinked a few times, stood, stretched gracefully, and listened again for the sharp noise that she knew had jolted her out of a very pleasant dream. While she waited, she thoughtfully chewed at the grass nearby, taking little, tiny bites. The sudden eruption of cheering and foalish voices had her ears flicking toward the Schoolhouse, and out of curiousity, she flitted over to a conveniet spot and looked through the window at a respectable distance. Oh, how nice! Some of the Wonderbolts were present...Spitfire, Soarin' and one other stallion that she recognized but could not recall the name of. She smiled as she watched the foals, knowing her own Backdraft to be a devoted fan of the Team. Someone had once advised her to demonstrate her skill for them, but she declined, knowing that it took more than mere grace to become such a skilled flier. Perhaps one day one of her many sons might do the Clan honor by joining, but no, not her.

Soarin took a position next to Spitfire and smiled pleasantly. Spitfire was a good captain, but there was a reason there were two. "Oh, plenty!" he piped, then adressed the foals themselves "See, we're more than just a team, in a lot of ways we're like a big family. We help each other out, cover for our weak spots, and encourage one another to do our best, so that we're the best fliers in the air, bar none. Our tems are the fastest, most technical fliers in all of Equestria and we bring that to every show, every boring conference, and every awesome presentation we do!"

He spread his wings now for a bit of dramatic flair, watching the foals in the audience for a reaction. They were, after all, why he was doing this job.

Lilly suddenly realized something in her day dreaming. Frilly had given her a note with a question on it. Frilly asked Lilly to ask the question if she met any Wonderbolts.

"That's why they sounded familiar" Lilly thought to herself.

Lilly opened her desk to look for the note. Shuffling old homework, tests with doodles and detention slips but she eventually found the elusive scrap. Lilly didn't waste time in reviewing the note as one of the stallions at the front of the room had just finished talking. Lilly raised her hoof to ask a question, but she didn't wait to be called on to talk.

"Are there other groups like the Wonderbolts who also do what you do too? If there are, how are they different?" Lilly asked, but it was clear she was reading the question. It was also apparent, to most, that the question was not made by Lilly as she was adept at grammar and wording in general, unlike the pony who "wrote" this question.

Purple Haze scribbled happily on her paper, drawing the wonderbolts. She rolled her eyes at Sunrise Beach. "Ye sound jes' loik me big brae!" she said round her crayon. Well, she didn't sound just like him. She had that funny accent... it was different than the funny accent most everypony else around here had. She wondered why no one spoke normal, like Carrot and her. And Carrot didn't usually gush over the Wonderbolts, but Purple knew him well enough to know that he was gushing inside.

She glanced over at Peebee. "If'n ye ken tae be a Wonderbolt, then ye dinnae worry bout yer pa. Ye do what ye want, nae matter what anypony hies tae ye! But ye do have bigger, better wings than alla the rest of th' pegasi! Oi bet they're all roit green!"

Then the wonderbolt was talking, and Purple Haze shut up, concentrating very carefully on her drawing. The uniforms were easy - they were all the same... it was getting their *sizes* right, and their manes... oooo, her big brae was going to be so excited! She wondered when it'd be time for autographs...

Sunrise Beach quirked an eyebrow. "Spare? Like, spare what?" She let out a soft 'ohhhhh' of understanding. "Oh, I get it, like, your dad doesn't want you to, like, do all that stunt pony stuff, and junk. My mom's, like, the same way, cause she *totally* flips out when I go off on adventures." She rolls her eyes. "It's soooooo bogus, like, she thinks I can't take care of myself! She's always like, 'Stay away from the Everfree' and junk."

She shrugged. "And sure, like, you're way too, like, young, and junk, and couldn't get in yet, but you could totally ask for tips on the most bodacious moves and gnarly tricks you could do so you could get in when you're older! Cause, like, you've got the most non-heinous, totally rad wings of any pegasus foal I've ever seen! You could do loop-de-looooops, and totally killer barrel rolls, and shred some nasty cloud with a tailside grind!" She grinned across to Snails. "Like, totally, right?"

Then she stared over at Purple Haze, a confused look on her face. "Your big ... what?" She shook her head. Purple was sweet, and made the best food, and was pretty good at hoofball, but she had the oddest accent!

Sunrise's train of thought was broken when one of the other foals in the room jumped up on a desk and started shouting about something going haywire. Sunrise peered at her in confusion, and looked around the room to see what she was talking about ... but everything seemed just fine. The foal slipped back down behind her desk without further event, so Sunrise shrugged and decided to ignore it.

But everything else in the room completely disappeared for Sunrise Beach, when Spitfire stepped up and started to talk. The murmur of ponies throughout the rest of the schoolroom faded away into unimportance. Her hooves rested together on the desktop, and she listened with rapt, eager attention, her eyes opened wide and shining brightly.

Wow, Sunrise thought, Spitfire is sooooo pretty, and like, soooo talented!

But as focused as she was when Spitfire was talking, she became even MORE focused when the dreamy stallion, Soarin', stepped up. His mane floated in a breeze that drifted through the classroom, and he tossed his head, and looked in her direction, and smiled, and the light glinted off his perfect teeth. Little hearts floated up from the twitterpated little unicorn filly, and she giggled and squirmed in her chair in pure delight. She lifted her hoof and wiggled it in a teeny little wave to him, fluttering her eyelashes. Oh, she hoped he remembered her! She couldn't wait for question and answer time! She totally had the *perfect* question to ask him!

Haywire listened intensely to the visiting Wonderbolts now. She was thankful that her previous 'misdeeds' seem to have been forgotten. After all, usually when she did quirky things like arrive late at school, let her frogs loose in the classroom or daydream outloud, she got in big trouble.

"Could this here be my lucky day?" the rust colored blonde filly thought to herself as Soarin' finished his speech. She then nudged Snails, who was sitting across from her and whispered.

"Hey Snails, what tricks do ya think the Wonderbolts'll do for us today?"

Rainsong watched as the Wonderbolts began to speak, and decided that she would like to hear what they had to say. So, with all the stealth she could muster, she took to the air, the breeze of her beating wings barely disturbing the grass she had been standing on. A few wingbeats found her over the schoolhouse, and she gently lowered herself down so that she stood directly beside the wall, her muzzle inches from the window itself. Smirking to herself, she crouched low, and crept under the window ledge, quietly listening to the Pro-athletes.

Cheerilee had settled into her desk, watching in contentment as the the Wonderbolts trooped into the classroom and Spitfire begun to address the class.

The foals had listened intently ("More intently than most of her classes" though Cheerilee with a twinge of irony), caught up in the magic of their idols, and when Soarin had concluded his piece, it was as if the spell had broken and the class returned to their previous lively state.

It was scanning the class that Cheerilee caught a white face peeking in through the window.

In her mind Cheerilee groaned. The day already had its fair share of twists and turns and she didn't know if her nerves could take another one.

Taking a deep breath, Cheerilee rose up from her desk and addressed the class

"Now class, I'm sure we all are very excited and have a lot to ask. Perhaps we can all go outside and let the Wonderbolts give us a short demo. But first I need to go and check if the school field is available. Do try to be good while I'm gone!"

Cheerilee kept her game face on till the was safely out of the door. Then hurried to the window where she had saw the face earlier.

OOC: Hehehe, Rainsong made sure she never actually stood in front of the window, but this is more fun. I'll go with it.

Rainsong heard Miss Cherilee's announcement, and put two and two together when she heard hoofsteps coming around the corner. She slid backward out from under the windowsill, and stood expectantly, waiting for the teacher to arrive. While her situation was possibly precarious, she knew a thing or two about handling herself in awkward situations. Anyone who mothered her twin colts Thunderhead and Thunderpeak would have to, not to mention the way Clefthoof sometimes interrupted solemn moments with an outburst of rambunctious singing. With all the disturbances those three had caused, she had become quite the natural at dealing calmly and kindly with those alarmed by a misunderstanding.

Ever had one of those days where Murphy's law seems to follow you around like an enthusiastic stray puppy? Cheerilee was having one of them.

Cheerilee stopped just before rounding the corner to where the window was and took a deep breath to gather her courage.

Peeking around the corner, she noticed that the white pony had now taken a step back from the window and was now seemingly waiting for her.

"Just get it over with; what's the worst she could happen" she thought to herself

"Oh Hi!" she said, walking out while trying to appear confident. "Are you a parent or are you with the Wonderbolts?"

Soarin' had finished speaking, so Spitfire took the lead again. “Well there you have it! Now you know the basics about the life of a Wonderbolt. Does anypony have any questions?” Spitfire's eyes turned to a purple filly in the class, who raised her hoof but piped up without being called on. Spitfire just smiled. Fillies and colts were often a little rude to each other, especially when they were excited. Plus, it was Miss Cheerilee's job to scold any student as she saw fit... except that at some point she had disappeared, leaving the trio of 'bolts alone with the class.

Spitfire thought that it was a bit odd the teacher didn't want to stay... and also slightly rude of her to leave the whole class unattended. But, it wasn't her place to speak up, and anyway, she had to uphold the reputation of the team and play nice, whatever happened.

“Well, there are a couple other troupes in Equestria that do the same stuff we do. Generally they just stick to one area, rather than traveling around like the Wonderbolts do. You'd probably only get to see them if they were local to you. Other performing groups are different from the Wonderbolts in a lot of ways. They'll have different costumes, if any at all. The stunts and shows they do may not be as extravagant or dangerous because they don't bring in as many ponies, and therefore not as much revenue.”

Spitfire looked around at the eager faces before her. “Next question?”

"OH! OH! OH! OH! OH! OH!" Haywire shouted out, her right hoof high in the air waving about as she bounced in her chair.

"You Wonderbolts are my HEROES!" the rust colored filly neighed with squeaky voice. "I have a question! How did you all become Wonderbolts? I mean, did you have to try out for the team? How many of you were at the tryout? How often in a year do the Wonderbolts hold tryouts? If I could get my hooves on a pair of wings, could I tryout for the team?"

Haywire was now SO excited, she was about to EXPLODE with JOY! She was prepared to ramble on and on and on with energetic furvor!

(anypony, feel free to stop her! :D )

"Greetings, and may blessings of health be upon you and yours." Rainsong beamed, bowing low and flaring her wings out wide. "I am Rainsong, daughter of Lord and Lady Chrysanthemum of Canterlot. The pleasure of our meeting is mine." With the usual but sincere formalities out of the way, she began to explain herself. "I suppose you must be wandering what I am doing outside your school, Miss Cherilee, I think your name is?" She nodded sweetly. "I noticed that the Wonderbolts were here, and while I did not wish to disturb your class, I was interested in listening to the dear little foals watch their favorite heroes speak. I have twelve foals of my own, you know." She smiled brighter than ever at that, becoming a picture of pure maternal benevolence.

The sunshine seemgly had begun to return to Cheerilee's life.

She had hoped and hoped that Rainsong would not add any complication to an already complicated situation and it appears the fates had heard her plee. Listening to Rainsong go on about her children and seeing the look of maternal contentment finally put Cheerilee's concerns to bed

"Well I'm sure it will be no problem if you want to watch!." she said returning the smile. "I was about to invite the Wonderbolt's to the school field to do a short demonstration. Would you care to join us?"

Cheerilee took a quick glance to check that the schoolyard in general was tidy. Then started off in the direction of her classroom, turning to check if Rainsong was following her.

Rainsong nodded happily. "Of course, dear, I would love to!" She trotted after the schoolmarm, very pleased with herself and the situation. "If you require assistance with the foals, given my experience, I would be happy to aide you in watching over them during the demonstration." She knew from experience that once outside, foals who were asked to sit still, especially when they were highly agitated, rarely did as asked. And with so many in one place, and a great excitement such as the chance to see the Wonderbolts in action, she knew that Miss Cherilee would need all the help she could get. Even with the other mothers and the Elders of the Clan helping, sometimes watching all thirty-six of the current foals at once was almost impossible.

Before PeaBea could answer Snails, Haywire went all hyper and was sending a flood of questions to the Wonderbolts.

Snails giggled and left his seat since Cheerilee was outside "Umm Haywire, I think th' wonderbotls need a chance ta anwer ya when ya as questions."

Since he was already up he turned to the wonderbolts and trotted right up to Spitfire "I-isnt that right Miz Spitfire? Wow! Yer even bigger face ta face and all..!"

The orange colt blushed and had a silly grin when he saw how close he was to Spitfire.

"i...um...Kin ya sign my drawin here?"

"You really think I could do that?"

There was something infectious about the unicorn’s enthusiasm and confidence. Peanut couldn’t resist the smile that crept into the edges of her features. Suddenly the filly had a questinon she despiratly wanted to ask the pegasus stars. 'what is it like to fly?' For a brief moment she could swear she was high above the family farm, the winds whipping at her mane and rushing through her feathers. Once a long time ago she had fallen off the roof of the big grain silo, the same feeling of thrilling vertigo drew her onwards now. Only the memory of her father’s face when he found her trying to practice flying did her second of fantasy abruptly end.

Letting out a long breath, the filly looked to her farmer friend. Maybe she would get it? Either way she couldn’t rightly keep this bottled much longer. The young Pegasus hadn’t seen the farmer filly for over a year, which for somepony her age may as well have been decades. Still, the eathpony knew about her aversion and its causes, Maybe she should at least tell her about the letters...

“Actually, I don’t fly,” the paint foal quietly confided to Sunrise, “Never have, never want to.”

Eyes watching the young unicorn colt as he approached the heroes of the hour, Peabee felt a small swell of confidence as she affirmed her denial. She daren’t convey her most worrying suspicions, the one thing that she couldn't quite admit even to herself.

“Something’s are just more important, like promises. Besides, no other pony in my family can or even needs to, I just want to be normal.”

Carefully the foal bit her lip and looked between her friends, old and new, “Umm, can I ask you guy’s a question? Have you ever gotten lost or something and no pony came looking for you?”

Sunrise Beach was taken aback by the brown and white Pegasus classmate - not wanting to fly?? She never heard of a pegasus not wanting to fly! Every one she knew loved it, and every peagsus foal who couldn't yet fly always dreamed about that first flight. At first, Sunrise had difficulty trying to comprehend, until the Pegasus mentioned a promise. That she understood, although it was such a weird one, promising not to fly ... "Well, like, a promise is a promise, I guess. Like, you are the only one with wings and junk, though? That is so gnarly! That doesn’t, like, mean you are not normal, just that you are special in your own totally awesome way!” Sunrise wasn’t that good at pep talks, but she figured, the truth never hurt, and she could at least try. Besides, she wanted to make some more friends.

As to her second question, the answer came quicky. "Like, I would go exploring all the time! Like that totally bodacious Daring Do! She’s a Pegasus explorer!" Sunrise felt she needed to mention the Pegasus part. "So, umm anyway, like, I would kinda, sorrrrrta get a littttle lost. Sometimes. So, like, it would be a long time before anyone found me. Like, this one time I was exploring this totally gnarly cave, but I took a totally heinous dive, and, like, it took the search and rescue ponies almost two days to find me! My mom, she was soooooo mad!" Sunrise shuffled her hooves a little, feeling a twinge of guilt. “But then, like, she started crying, like she was so scared for me, and hugged me like I was some little foal! How embarrassing! Anyway, like, I thought no one would ever look for me after the first day or so, and I was so glad they found me and, like, it turned out mom never slept that entire time, and junk, cause she was so busy worrying and looking for me."

When Miss Cheerilee stepped out, Sunrise got so excited. Ooooh, I can finally ask them questions! She waited impatiently as the odd earth pony was going all hyper, but breathed a sigh of relief as the gangly coat got her to stop. Snails was his name, Sunrise thought - she'd never really talked to him yet, but she was sure grateful to him. She didn't even mind if he went next, but as he asked for his poster to be signed, it dawned on Sunrise she had nothing for them to sign! "How totally non-excellent! Like, you guys goota help me! I have nothing for the Wonderbolts to siiiiiign!"

Purple Haze looked over to Peebee with a sad expression. "Still not flyin'? If'n Oi had wings, Oi'd wanna get tae flyin' as soon as Oi could!" She shook her head sadly, and went quiet. She knew how PeeBee had things hard, and didn't want to rub it in. "But far as bein' lost... ye know Oi had. Ye remember when Oi went adventurin' and fell down an' hurt meself. Oi was gone all night! But they found me eventually. Ma an' Pa were roit scared an' angry, but glad to find me."

Purple Haze looked up and pushed her crayons towards Sunrise. "Ach, then ye'd better stir up tae get ye a good bit a art! 'at's what Oi did, roit enough!" She grinned eagerly towards Sunrise, and winked. She looked down at her picture - three ponies, each colored differently. "Oi'm a-get moiself an autograph fer me big brae!"

She slipped away from her two friends, heading up to the Wonderbolts as another foal started the quest for autographs. She offered up her picture eagerly to Spitfire. "Oi'd love tae get an autograph, too! Nay fer me, though, it's fer me big brae. He always wanna be a Wonderbolt, e'en though he's nae a pegasus! Oi made him a pie tae bring tae one a' th' wonderbolts, an' he got some goggles autographed at th' Gala, but then he gave 'em to a pegasus filly he's roit a-flutter o'er! Oi know he's a big fan ah ye, Spitfire, cause he's got a poster ah ye on his wall in th' workshop! Ceptin' yer nae wearin' all ye costume in it!"

• Like 1

Cheerilee pushed open the door of the classroom, dreaming of the day's end and a nice hot relaxing soak in the bathub....

"Ok class! I'm back. Settle down now" she said, strolling in, her voice cutting through the hubbub and buying the Wonderbolts a reprieve from the small mob of autograph seeking foals around them. "Since we have a bit more time before dismissal. I'd like to ask the Wonderbolts if its ok with them if they gave us a little demonstration at the school field."

Finishing her sentence, she turned to Spitfire and Soarin with a sheepish, hopeful smile.

Watching her friend approach the besieged stars, the pinto filly cocked her head at Cheerylee’s briefly startled expression. As the teacher hurriedly tried to dispel the mob, Peabee stood up from her desk and stepped over to Sunrise.

Perhaps she was just over reacting, but none of her parent’s letters had seemed worried or angry. Then again, it wasn’t like she could read them herself, so maybe it was Mrs Burch’s aged croaky voice that made them sound so hollow. Picking up one of the blue crayons in her teeth, Peanut looked at the unicorn expectantly.

"Do you want me to help doodle something? It’ll be quicker with two of us.”

(OCC: i know i'm a little late to join, but better late than never right? I hope you all don't mind ^-^)

The afternoon was warm and bright, the previous night wasn't to bad either. A light pink unicorn lays, hidden from most of Ponyville, curled up on the rooftops. All bar a nosy pegasus at around the late morning, the pink filly has enjoyed a long snooze on the warm sun baked roof tiles. The light noise of over exited school children drifts through the air. The uinicorn slowly begins to roll onto her back, her body flopping against the warm surface like a well done pancake. Her deep red eyes, slowly beginning to open.

"Well Pumpkin," the filly monologues, lifting up her hoofs and stretching them out. "i guess sleeping by a school, was not that good of an idea now, was it?" She mumbles on through the course of a rather prolonged yawn. Rolling herself onto her side, her half opened eyes looked to the local school across the street, it's walls resonating the offending noise. "hmm, I wonder what all the fuss is about."

She finally stood stretching her limbs and looking over to the nearby chimney, a sight of rope ridiculously wrapped with a bow of multiple knots, holds a saddlebag full of art supplies. In an attempt to investigate the commotion further, Pumpkin hoped off the roof ledge landing on the thick branch of a nearby tree. Looking down to the next branch, making the transfer, she made her way down onto the street level.

She passed a few friendly ponies on the way, greeting them on her way passed. As the filly trotted across the cobblestones, the noise of the school became louder and louder. By the time she had made it close enough to see inside the window, Pumpkin takes a looking inside the exited classroom. "No way, was that... It is! There are Wonderbolts in there!" Pumpkin bounced with excitement, giddy at this opportunity. "If i could paint their portrait it will be great practice! Not to mention the recognition, i'll bet my left hoof that a portrait of the Wonderbolts would sell for a few bits too!" She decided on whether it was a good idea to get her things... No chance, it will take a good five minuets to untie that thing... She could always ask permission! But what if they fly off... Pumpkin knows she is fast, but not quite Wonderbolt fast yet. The small filly paced up and down in deep thought.

Sunrise Beach looked at the crayons with a forlorn expression on her face; she had no idea how to draw or color. She hadn't really colored since she was a foal! The unicorn filly was even less experienced with anything resembling art, and didn't want a bunch of squiggly lines on a messed up paper to have the dreamiest of stallions, that captivating stud of an athlete, Soarin' sign! What would he think?! She wanted to impress him!

It didn't even seem to help that the nice Pegasus, Peanut, offered to assist in the coloring, Sunrise felt rather hopeless over the endeavor. "Like, nahhh, I don't ... I mean, like, I am soooo totally lame when it comes to art! Arrrrrgh!" Sunrise headdesks, "my day is like, soooooo ruined! Soooo bogus!!"

And if the class was going outside so the Wonderbolts could give a demonstration, there wasn't even any time to draw a picture! Sunrise needed an idea fast, or, or, something! There had to be a way to get an autograph, there had to! Not like she could get them to sign her flank or anything, but there had to be something! Something! "Something!" She accidently yelled out loud! She blanched and hid her face as she realized she'd actually cried out. "Auuuuuuuugh, like, how this can get any more embarrassing!?"