• Fluttershy
    • Pinkie Pie
    • Rainbow Dash
    • Rarity
    • Twilight Sparkle
  2. 2. Which pony is the fastest flyer?

• Rainbow Dash
    • Fluttershy
  3. 3. Which pony is the fastest overall?

• Applejack
    • Fluttershy
    • Pinkie Pie
    • Rainbow Dash
    • Rarity
    • Twilight Sparkle

So here's my first conclusion. Rainbow Dash is neither the fastest runner or fastest flyer. Pinkie Pie was faster than Rainbow Dash in Party of One and Fluttershy was able to catch up to a Rainbow Dash in The Return of Harmony Part 2. Even though Dashie was hauling Rarity and Pinkie tied to her, Fluttershy was able to pull two ponies of her own, Applejack, who is rumored to be dark matter, and Twilight Sparkle plus her balloon.

The issue of 'proper motivation' could be thrown around. But I wanna know what you think. Take your time answering, as you will not be able to change your vote. (because I can't figure out how to set it to that)

hi hi

While Twilight Sparkle can teleport herself around, she only seems to be able to handle short distances. Pinkie Pie, however, is only limited by the laws of comedic effect. I would say that its a toss up between the two of them, but we've never seen Twilight teleport into a frame where she's already present, but we have seen Pinkie Pie do that. That leads me to believe that Pinkie Pie can teleport at faster than light speeds and thus travel backwards in time. Clearly, Pinkie Pie is the fastest overall.

Nah, the only reason Fluttershy was able to catch up to Rainbow Dash was that Rainbow was carrying Rarity and Pinky, plus dragging that cloud along. No matter how motivated Fluttershy was, there's no way she could keep up with a free-flying Rainbow Dash. Fluttershy was also just pulling a lighter-than-air balloon, not supporting the full weight of 2 ponies.

As for flat out running speed, I have to go with AJ, though RD would be very close second. Pinkie Pie is not fast, she just utilizes cartoon physics to get to places before a pony that has to run the whole way.

Pinkie Pie is the fastest. Her reality warping powers allow her to be. :)

Dash is the fastest flier though, given that Pinkie has to rely on strange gadgets if she wants to fly

While I didnt' vote Pinkie as fastest runner, it's only because you cant call that bounce she does "running". :D

If she can end up places faster than supersonic speed "Miss Sonic Rainboom" and actually be waiting on her to arrive, she has to be fastest overall. That's another reason I dont like the "Cupcakes" idea of Pinkie (aside from the elements not choosing a psycho to begin with) There would be literally no escaping her! :sad::-|:scream:

Nah, the only reason Fluttershy was able to catch up to Rainbow Dash was that Rainbow was carrying Rarity and Pinky, plus dragging that cloud along. No matter how motivated Fluttershy was, there's no way she could keep up with a free-flying Rainbow Dash. Fluttershy was also just pulling a lighter-than-air balloon, not supporting the full weight of 2 ponies.

Fluttershy wasn't supporting the weight of two ponies. She was pulling the mass of two ponies. Even though the balloon is lifting Twilight and AJ, the mass of the two ponies, the balloon, and the air inside the balloon would be more than Rarity and Pinkie plus a rope. It's the law of inertia. I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure I'm right. A balloon with air is heavier and has more mass than a balloon without air. Anyone wanna do the math?

Fluttershy wasn't supporting the weight of two ponies. She was pulling the mass of two ponies. Even though the balloon is lifting Twilight and AJ, the mass of the two ponies, the balloon, and the air inside the balloon would be more than Rarity and Pinkie plus a rope. It's the law of inertia. I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure I'm right. A balloon with air is heavier and has more mass than a balloon without air. Anyone wanna do the math?

Also consider the immense air resistance of even a relatively stiff, fully inflated balloon.

hi hi

Newton's first law of motion deals with acceleration. (The velocity of a body remains constant unless the body is acted upon by an external force.) So Fluttershy would need to exert more force to accelerate the heavier mass.

However, we're trying to determine top speed, not acceleration. In an environment with friction/drag, acceleration and top speed are related, but its not quite as simple as Newton's first law. When something achieves a constant speed, it means that all the forces acting upon it have cancelled each other out. In the case of flying ponies, the forces we're concerned about are motor force produced by their wings and drag produced mostly by air striking their surface and producing low pressure eddies behind them.

There is reason to believe that part of pegasus magic involves sidestepping some of the physics involved in flying though. So its possible that in Rainbow Dash's drained state, her pegasus magic was also depleted.

Fastest Runner: AJ

She had the better time in her first race with Rainbow Dash, penalty aside. Also all those years of hard farm labor and apple bucking must have made her legs far stronger than that of of a pegasus that seems to spend more time airborne than on the ground.

Fastest Flyer: RD, no contest.

Any argument that Fluttershy is faster is nullified by the two Sonic Rainbooms she has yet too accomplish.

Fastest Overall: Dash, Twi, or Pinkie, Depending on what qualifies as movement.

Dash is canonically the fastest pony in Equestria while airborne however we don't know the mechanics of Twilight's teleportation and if it should qualify as movement. Since Pinkie is a character based completely around the Rule of Funny, her reality warping speed can only be used for comedy and not practicality, so her speed is purely situational and most likely noncanon.

I agree with DaBatGuy for the most part.

Canonically, AJ is definitely the fastest runner. Pretty much everypony in Ponyville participated in the Running of the Leaves and she was up front in the lead the whole time except for when she was getting tripped up from her rivalry with Dash.

No one ever mentions Pinkie Pie as being a super fast runner in Ponyville, like they do for Dash and her flying skills. So I'd just chalk Pinkie's hyper speed up to her non-canon reality bending masterH@x.

Fastest flyer is undoubtedly Dash. The Sonic Rainboom is legendary. As in no Pegasus in recent history has been recorded being fast enough to cause one. And as evidenced by Dash's race to defend filly Fluttershy and the Young Flyer's Competition, Pegasus seem to test their flying skills all the time. Dash is the fastest Pegasus of the current generation. Sure, Fluttershy had to have been going pretty fast to catch up with Dashie, and that's probably the very fastest she's capable of (being that she was so very motivated), but it still doesn't compare to Dash at her fastest.

Without the balloon? Motivated Fluttershy could probably give Dash a run for her money on an average day. But motivated Dash vs. motivated Fluttershy? Sonic Rainboom all the way.

As for fastest overall, I would say that depends on what definition of speed we're talking about. If it's simply getting from point A to point B in the shortest time, I would say Twilight with her teleportation. If we're talking locomotive travel, Dashie would be fastest.

Rainbow Dash can do the Sonic Rainboom which breaks the laws of speed physics to a whole new level.

Applejack can run pretty fast if Fall weather fans and that other episode where she pushs herself has anything to say about it.

Pinkie Pie has teleportation too as far as i can tell. I mean remember when Rainbow Dash was running away from her and she just appears outta nowhere? Sounds like teleporting to me.

It depends on exactly how you believe the physics of teleportation work, and whether Pinkie Pie and Twilight use different techniques. I'm leaning towards Rainbow Dash, as I believe the act is more likely to involve either wormholes or disassembly and reassembly of molecular structure, neither of which involve speed.

That and I heard RD can travel at some ludicrous speed that slips my mind. She's amazing, she really is.

hi hi

From a purely physics perspective, wormholes and disassembly/reassembly of molecular structure still involves speed. Any translation of position involves speed, even if it accelerates to the speed of light and decelerates instantly. There's no getting around the fact that space and time are essentially the same thing. But I digress...

I think the one thing we can say conclusively is that speed is not one of Rarity's strengths, unless you have a dress making competition.