Allow me to introduce myself...

DantonDamnark

So you'd be perfectly okay with someone taking something you drew, tracing over it, leaving EVERYTHING the same and then adding.. oh say a streak of green to the hair?

No it's not your art unless you DREW the entire image from scratch, no tracing "Tweaking" Someone elses art doesn't make it yours .

If that streak makes the art have a different meaning, then yeah. That's what art is. Self-expression.

What you are saying can be expressed in the following statement I came up with moments ago:

You find a dog on the street,

He has a nametag telling where he lives.

You decided to put a hat on the dog.

Now, is the dog yours?

That's different, because dogs are alive.

As much as I love art and what it has meant for the development of humanity, I would not even think of taking a companion from someone else, be it a person or a dog or a cat or whatever. That is not right.

No matter how much a piece of art may mean, it is still not worth the life of a potential best friend.

That's different, because dogs are alive.

As much as I love art and what it has meant for the development of humanity, I would not even think of taking a companion from someone else, be it a person or a dog or a cat or whatever. That is not right.

No matter how much a piece of art may mean, it is still not worth the life of a potential best friend.

-facehoof-

He means if something belongs to someone else and you change one small aspect of it it still doesn't make it /yours/

Link me to your art so I can just add something to it and claim your work as mine then please? 8D

lol, I don't think you'd want to.

Even if you did, I have almost none of it online.

What exactly is your definition of "mine" or "yours". This sense of ownership? To me, ownership of an idea is almost non-existent. Someone along the way already thought of it. Nothing is truly original. As for art, ownership should not be a big deal. Art is self-expression, an expression for one's self. Why should it matter what others think of it, or what they do with it? When one is satisfied with the product, then that is the payoff, the product of one's work. That satisfaction from the knowledge that one expressed one's self. If that helps others, great. If it doesn't, then also great. If others like it so much that they want it a copy for themselves, let them go for it and let them do what they want with it. What matters is that one expressed, somehow, a personal influence on whatever it is that one created. Whenever one does something to satisfy someone else, that's the part when the lines of art become blurred.

That's why I haven't uploaded any of my stuff, be it music, pictures, or writing. In fact, when one of my past bands broke up, I let them keep the songs I wrote. I don't care what people think of it, I care what I think of it, because it's the expression of myself, not anyone else's. How I arrive at that expression is completely up to me. From scratch or a cover, if it has any inkling that I put my influence on it, it's art.

Welcome fellow Brony! I checked out Hammerfall they are pretty good! I just listened to Any Means Necessary and I liked it. I do however prefer something like Vodka by Korpiklaani which is more folk metal I know but a like. is it just me or is it very hard to define all the different types of metal?

Greetings! I'm glad you found our corner of the MLP:FiM fandom and hope you'll stay for a long time. :) RP is the centerpiece of this forum so you will certainly find plenty of active areas for your creative enjoyment if you decide to RP. ;-) Of course there is plenty to do even if you are not into RP at all. The Getting Started section is the best place to start in answering most questions but if you have any still, please ask away. :)

I have been tempted to play with vectoring myself. Part of it is vectoring my own pencils, but doing some of the background scenes from the show would be great (do they have vectors of the backgrounds?) I feel they have some great uses (as they can be resized seamlessly).

I drew it, I scanned it in, and I colored it, There fore it is MINE, You stealing it and changing the color/adding to it makes you a theif not an artist.

Where did the idea come from? Was the creature, scene, shape that you drew never before seen until you thought of it? That's when it's truly original. If not, it was already there, and therefore not yours.

If you back far enough, then everything can be considered theft. But if you look at it as self-expression, then what you have used was inspiration. There's countless examples of what you would call theft, but everyone calls art. Olympia by Manet.

I failed to see where you provided any sort of reasoning for your position, so I cannot see where you are coming from. Plus you did not address anything of what I said, which leads me to believe that you are close-minded, one of the worst things an artist can be, no matter on what issue.

If you really think that art is about ownership, the ownership of an idea, then I feel that you are sadly missing its point.

"A guy who makes a nice chair doesn't owe money to everyone who has ever built a chair."