Venturing South [ENDED]

buxy

2cy2wly.png

Del climbed into the balloon's basket behind Lola and Ashton, paying absolutely no attention to anything but the sheer size of it. He'd only ever traveled by wing in the past, and had no idea what they were in for with this trip. As the balloon lifted off, he moved to the side, setting his claws on the edge and peering over the side at the ground, his tail swishing back and forth behind him in reflection of his alert curiosity. As they climbed higher in the sky he remembered Monty telling him something about piloting the balloon through dead air, and his pride wouldn't allow him to give that task to Lola. The task would require some heavy work, he was sure, and that wasn't something he had any intentions of asking a lady, and one of a higher caste at that, to perform. He paid close attention to Monty as they left the city to start their journey, occasionally calling out questions about wind direction and altitude.

((OoC: I did a little more research on ballooning. Its much more complicated than I thought. Hopefully in the ponyverse its a bit easier. Having wings on two of the passengers probably helps as well. As for the dead air, I don't make any claims about knowing how wind really works. I'm just hazarding a guess that it might work similarly to sea/land winds. You'd only have to tow a short while (30 minutes or so?) before finding a new wind.))

"... if you forget anything there are some books packed with the engines." Monty finished. For some reason he felt that things would turn out alright. If the worst happened and they lost the balloon he could always ask the Silverbeaks and Stonecutters to cover it. He hoped. Rockwington was slowly dipping under the horizon. "I have to get back. I have other orders to work on. I hope your trip goes well." He smiled a little nervously then dove out of the basket and started a long glide back to town.

Ashton peered over the edge. They were high up. REALLY high up, or rather it seemed high to him. He couldn't be sure. If there wasn't such a study barrier between him and the drop he'd probably be a wreck. He looked out again.

"So have either of you been to Canterlot before? I've never been further than Neighples."

Lola retrieved a notebook from her bag and began to take notes on just how the balloon is piloted. In the margins she also adds in little ideas on how the system might be improved or automated. By the time Monty gots done talking about dead air, she had begun drawing a few design ideas for dirigibles.

"Thank you, Mr. Monty, I hope to do business with you again in the future." She put away her notebook, resolving to look into alternative methods of propulsion later on. She turned her attention to the Unicorn. "I've never been further than the mountains, here. There's a decent amount of mining and whatnot up there, and the coal is what powers our whole nation. But the desert itself is something I've only read about. Between the Painted Pinto Desert and the Everfree Forest, it's no wonder that the griffin and pony nations have so little contact."

2cy2wly.png

"I've never been further east than the edges of the desert, myself," Dellios said, settling his wings and taking a seat in the corner of the basket, leaning against the side. "Lola is right, though, there isn't a physical structure in Equestria that would serve as a more thorough dividing line than the landscape itself."

He looked out over the passing landscape, enjoying the novelty of flying at rest, feeling the wind comb his feathers without any effort on his part. He turned back to the unicorn, studying him for a moment, he had thousands of questions flying through his mind, and had no idea where to begin with them. He chose to start with the first question a griffin would ask in a formal introduction. "What is your business, Ashton? How do you serve your family?"

He was little surprised. He always figured griffins would be able to go anywhere anytime. He always wondered where he would go if he had wings. Maybe it wasn't so easy. "Yeah. Its either through the mountains and desert or the swamp. There isn't any easy route is there?"

He turned back to the other Griffin. "Huh? Oh, we're Jewelers." He pulled one of his bag bags out indicating the mark on his bag. "You would be surprised the gems you can find in the canyon. Mostly rubies but there's a little of everything."

"It's not just the landscape, either. There are all manner of dangerous creatures lurking in the area. Not much that will trouble a balloon, most likely, but it's still a good idea to keep an eye out, especially above the forest. They are still discovering new varieties of monsters that wander out of it from time to time. Quite a mysterious place." Lola seemed more excited by the danger than worried.

"Anyway, a jeweler. That's a nice respectable business." She hesitated for a moment, not sure if the subject she was about to broach might be particularly delicate to the Unicorn, but decided to dive on in anyway. "I don't suppose you actually do much business with the elite, due to your, uh, well, species. I do find that the upper classes tend to be rather closed-minded about other creatures."

"Its hard to say really." he said with a shrug. It was a bit of a complex issue. He could never keep up with all the customers like his father did. He usually stayed in back polishing the gems or helping his Mother and Grandfaher. Sometimes he went out with one to collect stones from the canyon but he never did much work behind the register. "We don't go in Talonopolis, no, but every now and then somegriffin comes in and buys a mess of gems. Maybe some are getting resold there. Oh, and every now and then my Grandfather gets a special order for a custom gem or engraving. A few of those might come from Talonopolis too, though we don't make a habit of asking."

He paused for a bit. "... but it works out alright I guess. Between the griffin's from Rockwington and the orders my sister makes plus the occasional bulk request from the Diamond dogs we have plenty of customers." The truth of the matter was that Ashton was felt little bored at time. Hardly any gems came back for cleaning or maintenance and that's what he excelled at. "What about yourselves? Are you both scholars?"

2cy2wly.png

Dellios listened with interest to the exchange, he was sure the unicorn would take some offense at the griffin attitude toward his species, and was confused, and a little relieved that he didn't. Dellios found himself more and more intrigued by ponies, there was no boasting coming from Ashton, no list of the prestigious families that wore his jewels and crafts. Any poor soul that asked Del's father about the family business would spend the next half hour listening to the list of every high end client the shop had serviced over the years. At the suggestion of being a scholar, though, Dellios burst out laughing before clamping a talon down over his beak.

"No, I'm definitely not a scholar," he said, chortling a bit. "I'm not anything, really. I come from a family of very proud and closed minded metalsmiths, and I don't want anything to do with their lifestyle. The fact that I'm travelling with you, Ashton, would make my father lay an egg. He can't stand even the thought that we share Equestria with anything but Griffins. I just want to see something beyond the Canyon."

Lola scoffed. "Most likely your bulk gems are getting resold at inflated costs to a bunch of prissy upper-class fools who can't be bothered to look past your race. It's exactly that sort of attitude that will eventually bleed the old-money families dry. But at least you're able to do well enough for yourselves in Rockwington. Talonopolis is even more intolerant."

She pulled a makeup kit from her purse and checked her appearance, as she had been in a bit of a rush to get ready earlier. She touched it up a bit before speaking up again. "Anyway, I'm not sure I'd describe myself as a scholar, it may be technically correct but it carries the connotation of the sort of person you'd find in some dusty library. I am an inventor, a scientist, and a businesswoman. Books are all very well and good, but they are no substitute for experience."

"I see." he said a little flatly. It was odd of them to say it that way. He felt the gap between ponies and griffins wasn't all that odd. Maybe he was just used to it. He took a peek over the edge again. They were starting to cross the desert.

He decided to change the subject. "So are you going to be staying long in Canterlot? I don't think I could afford to stay there more than a night or two. Just long enough to sell some pieces and then I'll probably look for a place to stay in Trottingham or Ponyville."

2cy2wly.png

"I honestly hadn't thought that far ahead," Dellios admitted a little sheepishly. "I've never traveled this far, and I'm sure this journey will be far longer than any other I've taken. I've generally just camped out in the clouds when the weather's favored it, or holed up in a cliff with a fire when it doesn't. I suppose those aren't really options for you, Ashton, since you can't fly. Or for you, Lola, since there aren't many mirrors or bubble baths." He smirked, making light of her primping. He wondered if that were an upperclass habit, since he'd certainly never seen any of his female relations fussing with makeup or the like.

"And, Lola, isn't Silverbeak old money?" Del decided to press his luck, she'd been tolerant enough of his presence and informality thus far, two things his father seemed to blame for their inability to climb further in the hierarchy. "Are you suggesting your own family is doomed? Or are you trying to single-featheredly steer them clear of that fate?"

Lola gave a sharp laugh. "Kyahaha! I'll drag them out of their dark ages thinking if it kills them. You don't get ahead in high society by following the rules those above you lay down. The Razor-clowns have a vested interest in keeping the social order as is, but change will come one way or another, and I intend to be on top of it." She paused.

"Which actually brings me back to why I'm making this journey in the first place. Magic and technology. Ideally, I'd love to find a way to bring the esoteric abilities of your unicorn brethren to the masses. Everything about your magic is alien to us, but I'm confident that with the proper understanding, I can learn to at least reproduce its effects. For instance, magic can call up lightning, but so can I using this." She draws her parasol and flicks the point out of the balloon, creating a small electrical surge.

"As for time, I have set aside a little over a month for this particular trip, though I will probably not stay in Canterlot for the full duration. And Delios, there is nothing wrong with mirrors or bubble baths, though a quick shower is just as effective. A good appearance goes a long way in any social circle. Oh, and you did not hear me call the Razorclaws anything derogative, by the way."

((OOC: Man Lola talks a lot, I had another whole rant in there that I cut because this post was getting way longer than I wanted.))

While Lola was talking about Unicorn magic. He didn't seem too comfortable with the subject. He thought Lyra's parasol was amazing but he didn't want to discuss magic or other Unicorns.

"Of course." he replied after she finished. He never really could get his head around the system of Griffin families but he had no reason to reveal what she had said. Not that it would probably matter. He suspected that the Razorclaws wouldn't pay much heed to whatever a Unicorn said.

The balloon was starting to slow down and drift higher in the air. If Ashton remembered correctly soon they would need to guide the balloon to a favorable current to keep going. He wished he remembered more about air currents but being earthbound most of his life it didn't come up all that often.

((OoC: Normally I'd say don't worry about posting too much. I love having a lot to reply to, but since we're going to be traveling for a while still maybe it would be best to save some of it for day 2 of our travel. As for guiding the balloon it doesn't need to go far but its a hefty object to pull. It'll probably only take 15 minutes or so of work but if only one Griffin is pulling it will probably be quite tiring.))

2cy2wly.png

Dellios poked his head out over the basket's edge, closing his eyes for a moment and getting a feel for the air. The wind they had been riding was certainly dying down, and he'd already made up his mind to steer them to a better current. He climbed over the rim of the basket and launched himself into the air without a word, the basket heaving slightly with the sudden change in weight. Del had sensed the unicorn tensing up a bit at the conversation, and though he wasn't sure what was causing it, he didn't like it, and needed a brief break from the confinement of the basket. He wheeled around the balloon, getting a feel for the currents before settling on a direction to haul the balloon. He banked back toward the basket, perching on the side lightly, supporting most of his weight with his wings.

"Is there something in here for me to hang on to so I can pull this thing?" He asked, peering into the bottom of the basket. "I think I've found a good current to get us into."

Ashton pushed around the supplies that Monty had packed earlier. Tucked behind his bags he found a number of sturdy, if slightly heavy, coils of rope for guiding the balloon. He looped his hoof through one and offered it to Dellios. "There should be some rings to tie it to about halfway up the balloon."

He briefly glanced at the other ropes. Should he offer one to Lyra as well? Dellios seemed like he was going to do it. If he remembered right the balloon was designed for two pegasi to pull so maybe one Griffin could do it. He wasn't sure how much stronger a Griffin was compared to a Pegasus.

((OoC: What exactly is our plan when we reach Bareback Gulch? Do we make another thread and post there for a while? Perhaps we invade other threads for a week or so? I don't have much experience with an RP like this.))

Lola did wait to be asked. She put away her parasol, grabbed a rope, and climbed out of the basket, flying up after after Dellios. "Here, let me give you a hand. Upper class I may be, but I'm willing to get my claws dirty when the situation calls for it."

She strained to keep up with the stronger griffin, doing an adequate enough job that the balloon was soon tugged into the promising air current. She gathered up her rope once the balloon was moving on its own again and headed back down into the basket, sneaking a quick peek in at her pocket mirror to make sure she hadn't rustled any feathers during the exertion.

When she turned her attention back our to the scenery, she spotted the other mountains off in the distance. "Fantastic, we're making better time than I'd hoped! At this rate we'll be at Bareback Gulch by midafternoon. If it wasn't for the Everfree Forest, I'd say we should keep going and perhaps even reach Ponyville by midnight. Oh well, much safer to traverse it by day, I suppose." She sounded almost disappointed.

((OOC: I was thinking pretty much what you said. We could even pre-empt actually reaching it and start posting in threads over there, unless anyone feels like throwing in some kind of mishap or other such plot twist to liven things up. Personally, I'd sooner wait until we're over the Everfree Forest for that to happen, though, for stronger dramatic effect.))

2cy2wly.png

Dellios couldn't help but be impressed by Lola's effort. He decided to keep that to himself, however, not wanting to come across as patronizing. He gathered up his own rope and followed Lola back down into the basket. She was starting to make him question his opinion of the upper class. Her heritage was obvious, but she had none of the disdainful air that other high society griffins he'd met carried.

"What sort of creatures are we going to find in that forest?" Dellios asked. "I've heard some stories, but none of them were very specific. We won't be too high to see anything, I hope." The stories he'd heard had never been very specific. He'd honestly suspected the travelers who'd told them to be greatly exaggerating the monsters that called it home. He had, however, hoped they weren't exaggerating at all.

((ooc: I think a mishap grounding them in the forest for a bit would be perfect. As far as shifting into other threads, I think it's an excellent idea, and the thread over in Bareback Gulch, conveniently enough, is set in a tavern..))

((OoC: Other than a somewhat rough landing I didn't have any plans. Bags spilling, rope jumbled, that sort of thing. If we're going to be dropping in the forest however we might as well skip the lesser mishap. Can always combine it with our later troubles. I also apologize if my posts seem a little short. I have a bit of trouble embellishing my dialog.))

Ashton put his hooves on the edge of the basket and could barely make out the small town of Bareback Gulch. He took another peek at the map that they had been given. "Maybe if the wind is good tomorrow and we get an early start we can make the rest of the trip in one day." He pulled the release valve letting some of the air out of the balloon, starting their decent.

"I've read some very interesting reports on the fauna of the Everfree, but very little of it is ever substantiated. There's fairly solid evidence for river serpents and dragons, and there's been reports of travelers being turned to stone, which would indicate the presence of basilisks and/or cockatrices. Other than that, nearly anything you can imagine has been linked to it, and who knows how accurate the reports may or may not be. Manticores, chimeras, hydras, sphinxes, will-o-wisps, ghosts, ursas, treants, yetis, catopblepases, cerberuses, ant-lion, simurghs, you name it and it's been mentioned in some tale, even if hasn't even been proven to exist."

Lola rambled on about it for a little while, showing off her slighty-greater-than-passing interest in cryptozoology, until she looked down at the town below again as they descended.

"Goodness, is that really the entire village? I don't think I've ever seen a town that small before. Even the little towns built around the coal mines my father owns were bigger than that."

He brought the balloon down further aiming for what looked like a open spot on the far side of town. His eyes glazed a little as Lola listed off the creatures seen in the forest. She talked more than any Griffin he knew. Though maybe it was the subject that made it seem seem boring. He couldn't count himself interested in Magic or dangerous creatures. He grew up among dangerous creatures, at least they were dangerous relative to a pony. Maybe it was a high class thing?

And magic, ugh. He hadn't thought about it much before he had left but how would he look to other Unicorns. Sure he could move some things around and find gems but he always felt like a bit of a magical runt. He couldn't lift anything heavier a saddlebag full of gems and even that was strenuous. He couldn't even learn his grandfathers engraving technique. Even his sister had figured out how to make some basic shapes when she was his age. Ashton couldn't even manage a scribble. It didn't help that there wasn't much options for tutoring. In Canterlot they studied magic their whole lives. They had wonderful schools.

His ears drooped. Even their foals could probably out-magic him. Maybe he wouldn't go with the others all the way to Canterlot. Maybe he'd just stay in Ponyville. He heard that there were mostly Earth Ponies there. He'd fit in better. A loud sputter from the burner snapped him back to what he was supposed to be focusing on. He had overshot his mark and they were coming in plenty fast. The basket hit the ground with an audible 'THUMP', jarring everyone aboard. One of Ashton's bags tipped over spilling its gems. "I'm. I'm sorry." he murmured as he scooped his rubies back into the bag. "I wasn't thinking."

"I'll clean this up and take care of the balloon if you two want to go ahead. It shouldn't take long. If you find a place to stay let me know. Otherwise I'm sure we can find each other."

((OoC: We would be kind of splitting up here but since there's only one thread in the region we'll probably all end up at the Rhinestone Quarry for some reason or other. As for the balloon I'm figuring that it would be fine just to leave it deflated. Normally it would be packed and folded but if we're leaving the next morning it's seems not too unreasonable just to leave it out. Also for the next threads of this adventures location I suggest we stick it in the Everfree forest region since we'll be 'landing' there, even if only for a while.))

((OoC2: Buxy seems to be taking a while. I'm going to go ahead and post in the Rhinestone Quarry thread. Hopefully it doesn't cause any issues.))

Lola grabbed ahold of the side of the basket at the jarring landing, but managed a polite smile at Ashton's rough landing. She gathered up her things, paying no heed to the fine quality of the gemstones. Jewelry was not one of her interests, in spite of her preoccupation with appearance.

"All right then, I'll let you get your things together. I shall head to the inn and secure us some rooms for the night, and then... oh I don't know, I'll probably take a bit of a walk around town, maybe check out the tavern. I can't imagine there's much of a social scene in these parts. We can meet back up here around, say, seven-o-clock tomorrow morning, hopefully get back in the air by eight."

She turned to leave, musing to herself as she lugger her baggage. "Hmm, perhaps I should set up my telescope in the balloon tomorrow, I might be able to get a glimpse of some of the forest denizens through the canopy."

2cy2wly.png

Dellios was completely lost in daydreams of the creatures Lola had listed, and what might happen in Everfree, but the jolt of the basket against the ground brought him back to reality. He shook himself and took stock of his belongings, scooping a few spilled things back into his bag. His eyes were drawn by the gemstones Ashton had spilled, they were worth well more than a month of wages for most of his father's employees. He made a point to look away before the unicorn could notice, the last thing he wanted was to incite any sort of suspicion from his new acquaintances. Theft was never something he'd allow himself to stoop to, but they certainly didn't know that about him.

"I think I'll do a bit of exploring, myself," Dellios said, climbing out of the basket and slinging his bag around his neck. "If I don't catch the two of you at the inn tonight, I'll see you back here in the morning." He took off into the sky, eager to stretch his wings after being cooped up in the basket for so long, banking around the town and looking down on it with interest, his eyes flicking to the encroaching wilderness, the thought of a quick hunt crossing his mind.

((ooc - sorry about the absence guys, I'm getting close to two straight weeks without a day off from work and my brain is kind of fried, if you guys need to move the storyline alone and I'm not available, you can safely assume Del is trailing one of you without protest. Don't be afraid to send me a PM, though, if you need me here and it's been a day or so since my last reply. Work will be easing up soon, though :D ))