See Ponyville in 3D with stereoscopic techniques.

Dessa

Those of you who are unfamilar with stereoscopic viewing techniques, keep reading. Those of you who have done this before, here are the images

Easy view, diverge OR cross-eyed method (Columns alternate -- If the image looks inverted, move a column over)

OIg2H.png

Advanced mode, cross-eyed only:

10j9E.png

"But Dessa, I don't know how to do it!"

Okay, there are two ways to do this. Let's try the cross eyed method first. Do you know how to cross your eyes? Look at the first image and cross your eyes at it until adjacent frames overlap. For most people, once you do this, your eyes will "snap" to position and everything will look all funny-dizzy-like. Well, that "snap" is your eyes being tricked into seeing that image as though it's nearer to you than it is. But that's not necessary to know to do this. Just cross your eyes until frames overlap, and "snap." Then look at the pictures. Every other row will look 3d. The rows that dont will look weird, with the far object near and the near far.

If you dont know how to cross your eyes, put your thumb right in front of your nose and look at it. When you do this, you're crossing your eyes. If you move your thumb toward and away from the screen, you might notice the image behind it "snaps" at various points. Every other "snap" will cross the images over so you can see them in 3d. This isn't so easy, but it's one way to do it, if you practice enough. Just pull your thumb out and try to keep your eyes in position.

The other method is "diverge eyed." This is where you relax your eyes as though you're looking far away. The first thing you can try is to try to look THROUGH the top image. Or act like you're just "zoning out" and looking into space. This doesn't work for most people on their first try. The next thing to try is, if you've got a shiny screen and a bright light (like the sun) behind you, look at an image reflected on your monitor, and you might just notice that the image ON your monitor "crossed over" and looks all funny. Try to hold your eyes like that, and you've got it. Also not terribly easy for newbs.

The one that seems to work best for newbs, is the put your nose right up on the screen, right on that MIDDLE black line in the top image, and relax your eyes. Because the screen is so close, your brain naturally "gives up" on trying to focus on it. Most eyes just dont cross far enough to see things that close up without major effort. This is a good thing, because it means your eyes have diverged. That's the first part. Now, while continuing to stare off into space, SLOWLY pull back from the monitor, and dont try to look at it. Just relax your eyes and pull back. I just did this and noticed that these images are incidentally spaced really well for this. What happens is that it'll look like everything's normal, but if you try to focus on the image, the image will look normal, but everything outside of it will be all doubled. THe image should also be in 3d.

This isn't easy for most people to get (although I suspect the cross-eyed method might be easier for those who have given up on stereoscopy), but you CAN do it. Some people just need to practice at it. Some need to practice a LOT.

There are guides online for this too if my advice doesn't make any sense.

You'll notice "advance mode" picture is not only wider, but larger. THose of you who can do the diverge eyed method should totes learn the cross-eyed. You can see much larger images this way. You can cross your eyes far more than you can diverge them, unless you're derpy-eyed.

As for how the above images were made, I just took snapshots of a screen-pan. So this can't be done except when the camera pans. So no 3d images of Twilight Sparkle unless/until they do a matrix-cam sequence with her, like this:

Super-Advanced, impossible mode image -- easier to make sense of from a small distance away, like 4 feet:

nnIIO.png

Here is another technique as I was talking about on the chat earlier, where they take two pictures and put them together into an animation. It creates a sort of pseudo-3d by playing a trick on the brain, I think the page said. Though it works better when the frames are a little closer so there is a little bit less of a difference between them than is in this picture.

Oh, "wiggle" stereoscopy. Yeah, I kinda stumbled on this by accident, and the images I grabbed weren't grabbed for the purpose of 3d viewing. They are taken from further apart than a person's eyes actually are, so the "wiggle" is too much. And if you're viewing stereoscopically, then you're seeing more depth than the picture should have. Which makes sense. You look at how near the buildings in front are to those one row back and they look near in 2d (as you can best estimate), but really far in 3d.

I'll see if I can post some more if people find this cool enough (I've got a love affair with 3d viewing)

yay i did it! at first i was all like, waht am i supposed to be doing? then i was all WHOA IT'S 3D! =D nice job! if somepony doesnt understand how it works is, when you cross your eyes eather the normal way or looking towards your nose that the images cross and form a type of 3D effect. The images cross and become the same image, thanks for making this dessa!

yay i did it! at first i was all like, waht am i supposed to be doing? then i was all WHOA IT'S 3D! =D nice job! if somepony doesnt understand how it works is, when you cross your eyes eather the normal way or looking towards your nose that the images cross and form a type of 3D effect. The images cross and become the same image, thanks for making this dessa!

That first time finally getting it to work is a great feeling. Could you do advanced mode and super-advanced mode?

Another

gA9k2.png

This one is much closer to "actual eye distance," as opposed to the first, which would require a giant head with spaced eyes. As such, the 3d is subtler. Not as cool at the first, but I just can't get enough 3D.

Edit: OTOH, this one really shows off their attention to detail. Scoot, AB, and that tree are all on separate planes. The foreground gets 2 planes (near grass and less near grass) and the background seems to get only 1, which seems appropriate (its harder to distinguish depth the further away things are).

Also, Apple Bloom just happened to be walking in such a way that her far hoof seems further than her near, so even she's a little 3d in this image. In animation, she just has one layer, but here she's got 2.